HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 QMJHL draft as of Feb 2013

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Hockey Buff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncMike View Post
Scoutman1, being a scout for a team, how much does your team rely on the CSR LIST as opposed to your list?
I am guessing very little but I'll let Scoutman say it.

There was a push to have only the 1st round ranked numerically and the balance ranked alphabetically. It didn't fly.

I think people (mostly parents) put too much weight in the ranking of the CSR forgetting that the CSR doesn't field a team.

Old
05-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
im done replying to you about this stuff, you have no clue about the business nor how things work but yet open your mouth to call things farces and stuff but yet have no clue about them...you can pretend all you want to knlw what you talk about, but im a scout for a team in the league and been in this business to know what is needed for a team to have a future.
so its not your job, you're just a scout for a team. so they give you a team jacket and perhaps $1000 a year. that doesn't mean you know anything about the business. and again, you're not necessarily the only one with experience being involved with a team (I can't say "working" for a team because its not a job, its just something you do on the side for fun).

being personally involved obviously taints your view of things. you have a vested personal interest in continuing the charade, and you clearly don't want to hear any alternate views that call into question many parts of the hockey industry.

Quote:
lol to think a guy just walks up, hey im an agent...not like they work for big companies like Octagon or CMG and they have a license to be agents and not like all an agent does is sign a kid and that is it...i know a lot of agents and like all scouts we do our own work and reserach but if a guy i know says this guy is good ill send questions to the head scout asking if he knows of him and see if someone can get to see him sometime....
again, you've unintentionally further exposed the charade. these agents are your friends, you're all in this together for your own purposes. your agent friend comes up to you, tells you about some kid he "owns", and you get a road trip out of it and ensure your agent friend's kid gets drafted.

Quote:
and the draft being a charad LOL so one or two players in the whole draft if any in that year saying they are going ncaa make it a charad LOL please......you make it sound like we do not know what we are doing and walking around with question marks and just listening to what people tell us to listen to lol....duuuuhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
anyone can be a scout for a qmjhl team, its not exactly an exclusive club of brilliant hockey minds (no offense intended). so yeah, I think many don't know what they're doing and are heavily influenced by things they hear, especially things they hear from these agents.

Quote:
ya so agents must be doing something right, they seem to live pretty good lives...not like they are flying them all over the world lol...anyway this is last of my replying to these absurd questions, it is alright not to know much about the business but do not go on like you know everything about it and fight about the facts but yet show you do not know.
i'm not surprised you won't reply anymore because obviously you want to shut down any conversation that exposes this sham and calls into question the gig you have with a qmjhl team. that's understandable.

i'll throw out this question again though and maybe someone else can answer. why is there a draft at all? why can't a 15 year old kid simply sign with the team of his choosing?

Old
05-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buff View Post
I am guessing very little but I'll let Scoutman say it.

There was a push to have only the 1st round ranked numerically and the balance ranked alphabetically. It didn't fly.

I think people (mostly parents) put too much weight in the ranking of the CSR forgetting that the CSR doesn't field a team.
WHAT?!?!?! I could have swore I saw Halifax Mooseheads vs. the CSR All-Stars last season!!

As much as I love the CSR list as a guide of where CSR scouts see these players, I would actually prefer if they went to a 1st round ranking then alphabetic rankings. Sometimes a kid who isn't even going to get picked is ranked in the 2nd or 3rd round which can really mess with a kids emotions.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:37 AM
proam16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
I know this area pretty well too. you don't have the market cornered on that.

what's your job? obviously you're personally involved, so you're part of the problem. you know the draft is a farce, yet you can't or won't admit it, like all the others who work in the industry. if you admit its a farce, you're admitting that your job is a farce, and obviously you're not going to do that. its in your personal best interest to keep the charade going.

so you'll listen to an agent in this circumstance? you know he's just trying to line his own pockets, right? I assume if "his kid" gets drafted by you, it means more money for him. yet you fall for this scam and will travel to Ontario just to see "his kid"? that's weird.

if I know 100% the kid is going ncaa, I wouldn't draft him. if I suspect he's "playing the ncaa card", i'm definitely going to draft him.

as I said, i'd take my chances that 9 times out of 10, my team will benefit by taking the best player available, regards of what he and his agent are saying. either the kid will play for my team, or i'll be able to move him for a good return. and if he actually goes ncaa and I get nothing from that pick, so be it. sucks for me. but again, i'd take the risk that it wouldn't cripple my team forever. the tri-city americans missed on toews, but it didn't kill them.

so a kid at age 14 or 15 signs a contract with some guy calling himself an agent that says if the kid ever happens to turn pro, this agent gets 4% of the money? that's totally absurd.

and the agent spends his own money flying the kid around at ages 14 and 15, in the hopes that some day the kid might turn pro? that sounds even more absurd. ridiculous business model. that's a far crazier risk that drafting a kid who claims he's going ncaa.
Not absurd about 14-15 year old having a "family advisor". We have one. The agents have been chasing my kid for a year before we settled on a very reputable 'family advisor". We are unsure what route my son will eventually take. He already has a Division 1 offer. Got it whan he was 14. The advisor is there is to advise. We have not gone through this before. We do not know all. Most importantly - THIS IS A BUSINESS - with 15 -16 years as the product. So yes, we as a family want to make the best decision for our kid. Having a GM from the Q league give us a pitch - is a one sided affair. I have no idea if he would be telling me the truth or selling me a bag of BS. Our advisor would be able to tell us ...

Old
05-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmatuerFan65 View Post
Not absurd about 14-15 year old having a "family advisor". We have one. The agents have been chasing my kid for a year before we settled on a very reputable 'family advisor". We are unsure what route my son will eventually take. He already has a Division 1 offer. Got it whan he was 14. The advisor is there is to advise. We have not gone through this before. We do not know all. Most importantly - THIS IS A BUSINESS - with 15 -16 years as the product. So yes, we as a family want to make the best decision for our kid. Having a GM from the Q league give us a pitch - is a one sided affair. I have no idea if he would be telling me the truth or selling me a bag of BS. Our advisor would be able to tell us ...
cool. so what's the agent's advice for you? does he say your kid should go to the qmjhl or go ncaa?

or does it depend on which team drafts your kid in the q? are you playing the "ncaa card" game?

and how much are you paying this agent? surely he's not working and providing you with his experience and advice for free.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:28 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Unless your advisor is friends with the GM... in which case they are both offering you a bag of BS. A lot of what Frankie is saying is right, the hockey world is very small and these kids draft prospects rise and fall on a very small group of opinions of them. As qualified or unqualified that opinion might be... there there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that scouts, GM's, agents all do things in their interest. If their interest line up with a kids interests, well there you have a success story for them all to hold up. When it doesn't, well there was a kid that got used and abused.

Old
05-13-2013, 11:00 AM
proam16

Quote:
cool. so what's the agent's advice for you? does he say your kid should go to the qmjhl or go ncaa?

or does it depend on which team drafts your kid in the q? are you playing the "ncaa card" game?

and how much are you paying this agent? surely he's not working and providing you with his experience and advice for free.
We will not play games. We are either all in NCAA or QMJHL. We are definately leaning towards NCAA - as there is life after hockey. We have not accepted the NCAA division 1 offer - too early.

We are not paying a single penny. It would make my kid ineligible for the NCAA. They do certainly hope that he gets drafted into the NHL - that will be when they make their money. Right now, its us asking questions and seeking advice from them.

The reality is that - talented kids will be approached by advisors or agents at 14-15 years of age or younger. I have seen it with my own eyes and my wife and I were quite amazed by it.

As for the advice - all the advisors we met say the NCAA is great "but....." However, once they realized that we are are holding firm to our beliefs - then we receive advice re:NCAA etc. Like any good advisor I will expect to eventually hear about what QMJHL can/will offer my son. We are expecting it and will certainly listen. There are pros and cons to each system. He can only play in the NCAA at 18 years of age - so where does he play after Midget? USHL?

Old
05-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Ryan English
@ryanenglish_FC

Quote:
so its not your job, you're just a scout for a team. so they give you a team jacket and perhaps $1000 a year. that doesn't mean you know anything about the business. and again, you're not necessarily the only one with experience being involved with a team (I can't say "working" for a team because its not a job, its just something you do on the side for fun).

being personally involved obviously taints your view of things. you have a vested personal interest in continuing the charade, and you clearly don't want to hear any alternate views that call into question many parts of the hockey industry.

again, you've unintentionally further exposed the charade. these agents are your friends, you're all in this together for your own purposes. your agent friend comes up to you, tells you about some kid he "owns", and you get a road trip out of it and ensure your agent friend's kid gets drafted.

anyone can be a scout for a qmjhl team, its not exactly an exclusive club of brilliant hockey minds (no offense intended). so yeah, I think many don't know what they're doing and are heavily influenced by things they hear, especially things they hear from these agents.

i'm not surprised you won't reply anymore because obviously you want to shut down any conversation that exposes this sham and calls into question the gig you have with a qmjhl team. that's understandable.

i'll throw out this question again though and maybe someone else can answer. why is there a draft at all? why can't a 15 year old kid simply sign with the team of his choosing?
Frankie, are you an angry small market GM?

Haha you have completely lost your marbles with these draft/collusion conspiracy thories. The QMJHL draft has a relatively small issue with the NCAA, correct. They are working on a solution, I have heard talk of some smaller market scouts wanting kids to declare their eligibility before the draft or they have to go through waivers (AKA guarenteed to end up on a weak team).

That may cause some talent to leave the league though. Still waiting on a solution for these 3-4 players per year who play in between, but it sure as hell won't end up being your solution of teams wasting picks on players who aren't interested.

Lets say we use your solution with Anthony Duclair or Deluca in the early 2nd. Rouyn-Noranda, fora smaller market example, drafts them, they say thanks but I would prefer NCAA. All Rouyn has now gained is the pride of saying 'we're fixing this draft and we tried". Fans don't accept that, ownership doesn't except that.. Nobody does.

Scoutman has a QMJHL scouting gig. This is a fact I can attest to. He is an experienced hockey mind, and yes anyone can be a scout but you won't last long without good critical thinking, its like any other thinking job.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:10 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Ill attest to the fact that Scoutman is more then just a Q scout.

Amateur Fan... You son hasn't played a game in midget yet... How is it that he was already offered an NCAA scholarship.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:18 PM
bigdirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post

Amateur Fan... You son hasn't played a game in midget yet... How is it that he was already offered an NCAA scholarship.
I've heard of NCAA teams going after kids as young as 12 and 13. It's a little crazy, especially since the player can only give a verbal commitment, which means nothing in the end.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:25 PM
proam16

Quote:

They have seen him play and gotten scouting reports from other sources. They have seen him play in tournaments in the winter season and spring hockey. Word travels fast in hockey circles.

If you look at any of the College committment boards (Rinknet or Chris Heinsberg) - you will see that getting offered and commiting at 14 is not that unusual. There are plenty of Americans that have verbally committed at 14-15 years of age. All the major schools (and some of the smaller schools) have at least one or more early commits.

The verbal commitment is not binding but you will not find a college that will pull back its verbal commitment to a kid once it has been offered. The college and the coach would lose all their credibilty if they reneged on a verbal commitment. They actually provide you with a written offer to support the verbal offer.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:51 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

That's pure insanity to be going after kids in Bantam AA... A little crazy.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:11 PM
proam16

Quote:
That's pure insanity to be going after kids in Bantam AA... A little crazy.
Not really crazy. The WHL drafts 14 year olds and the other leagues are drafting15 year olds.
So not that strange in comparison. The colleges are competing for the same top end kids as major junior and want to start that relationship as soon as they can. Makes perfect sense to me. Another analogy is with the advisors pursuing kids as early as 12 and 13. This is the reality of hockey and other major sports today.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:46 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Not really crazy. The WHL drafts 14 year olds and the other leagues are drafting15 year olds.
So not that strange in comparison. The colleges are competing for the same top end kids as major junior and want to start that relationship as soon as they can. Makes perfect sense to me. Another analogy is with the advisors pursuing kids as early as 12 and 13. This is the reality of hockey and other major sports today.
That's still crazy. I'm not a fan of the Bantam draft. It's too early.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Frankie

Quote:
We will not play games. We are either all in NCAA or QMJHL. We are definately leaning towards NCAA - as there is life after hockey. We have not accepted the NCAA division 1 offer - too early.
right off the bat, your agent isn't doing a very good job for you. the first thing he should tell you is that going qmjhl doesn't mean giving up on school. can't really complain though, I guess you get what you pay for in this life.

Quote:
We are not paying a single penny. It would make my kid ineligible for the NCAA. They do certainly hope that he gets drafted into the NHL - that will be when they make their money. Right now, its us asking questions and seeking advice from them.
so, we're to believe that these agents work for free for a kid and his parents from the age of 14 or 15, up to the age of 18 (that's 3-4 years of free advice and work), all in the hopes that the kid gets drafted into the nhl and plays pro? that's a ridiculously risky business proposition for the agents. lets just say if they presented that business model to the dragons den on cbc, they'd be laughed out of the building.

without getting too nosey, have you signed a contract of any sort with this agent? is everything in writing, with details of what duties he'll provide for you over the next few years, and exactly what he gets paid should your son make it into the nhl?

Old
05-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
That's still crazy. I'm not a fan of the Bantam draft. It's too early.
just a draft, it'd be different if they were coming into the league at that age lol

The risk is all on the teams/schools so why anyone outside of the teams/schools cares is beyond me. If an NCAA school wants to offer a scholarship to a 14 year old, they can still get out of it

Old
05-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan English View Post
Frankie, are you an angry small market GM?

Haha you have completely lost your marbles with these draft/collusion conspiracy thories. The QMJHL draft has a relatively small issue with the NCAA, correct. They are working on a solution, I have heard talk of some smaller market scouts wanting kids to declare their eligibility before the draft or they have to go through waivers (AKA guarenteed to end up on a weak team).
so is there a problem here or not? on the one hand people (with a vested interest) say its not a big issue, yet on the other hand the league and everyone involved is searching for a solution.

of course there's collusion among everyone involved. the teams, their individual scouts, the agents, the league management, everyone is in this together. the draft is a farce and someone needs to step up and expose it.

Quote:
That may cause some talent to leave the league though. Still waiting on a solution for these 3-4 players per year who play in between, but it sure as hell won't end up being your solution of teams wasting picks on players who aren't interested.
but as I've said, most of the time if you pick a player who says he's going ncaa, it ends up not being a wasted pick at all. either that player shows up and plays in the q, or he gets traded for a something good in return.

Quote:
Lets say we use your solution with Anthony Duclair or Deluca in the early 2nd. Rouyn-Noranda, fora smaller market example, drafts them, they say thanks but I would prefer NCAA. All Rouyn has now gained is the pride of saying 'we're fixing this draft and we tried". Fans don't accept that, ownership doesn't except that.. Nobody does.
but of course, Anthony duclair never had any intention of playing ncaa. he wanted to play for the quebec remparts. so if i'm Rouyn noranda, you better believe i'll draft him. and it won't be a wasted pick. if I know he wants to go to the remparts, and I know Patrick roy wants him, we're going to make a nice trade for his rights.

are there many examples of these wasted picks you speak of? where a kid said he was going ncaa, gets drafted into the q anyways with a decently high pick, and still goes ncaa?

i'd say there are many, many more examples of a kid playing the ncaa card and going back on his word and playing in the q after lying to everyone and saying he wouldn't. nice thing for agents and parents to be teaching a 15 year old.

Quote:
Scoutman has a QMJHL scouting gig. This is a fact I can attest to. He is an experienced hockey mind, and yes anyone can be a scout but you won't last long without good critical thinking, its like any other thinking job.
I have no doubt scoutman has a qmjhl scouting gig. I know quite a few people who also have these gigs. they're all basically just fans like the rest of us, and have coached some minor hockey. no brilliant hockey minds, no critical thinkers. just guys who love hockey and know someone else who works for a team. its basically just word of mouth, and who you know.

Old
05-13-2013, 07:01 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
WHAT?!?!?! I could have swore I saw Halifax Mooseheads vs. the CSR All-Stars last season!!

As much as I love the CSR list as a guide of where CSR scouts see these players, I would actually prefer if they went to a 1st round ranking then alphabetic rankings. Sometimes a kid who isn't even going to get picked is ranked in the 2nd or 3rd round which can really mess with a kids emotions.
I did a little research on last years CSR list just the first 5 rounds ,of all the kids ranked in the first 5 rounds all were drafted except for 3 and one was AJ Greer who I understand was going NCAA. They all were not drafted where they were ranked some up and some down, the list must have sone credibility.

Old
05-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
I did a little research on last years CSR list just the first 5 rounds ,of all the kids ranked in the first 5 rounds all were drafted except for 3 and one was AJ Greer who I understand was going NCAA. They all were not drafted where they were ranked some up and some down, the list must have sone credibility.
Alex Berry was ranked top 70 and I don't think he even ended up playing Jr. A after being passed on in the QMJHL draft. Crushed him

Old
05-13-2013, 09:18 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Frankie you can insult me all you want saying i do not know what i am talking about, you do not know me and what i do, whether someone is a scout or GM or player or what ever does not mean they do not know hockey...actually the scouting is my job, not all scouts get paid just 1000 or 2000 a year, some on the team get paid paid eh, i also do work for many sites, magazines including Hockey News, I have been working with news papers across canada for scouting purposes, i have and am in talks about moving up to the NHL....and not all people get a job by knowing someone, some of us had to fight scratch and claw our way to where we get and we are proud of it....you can go on like a ranting idiot who acts like he knows all but then in the same sentence is asking questions and does not understand a thing we all know it is just for the fight on here you look for because one thing you are not on here is rational.....you put down the agent business saying their business plan would not fly in front of dragons den, well that is nice but just because it might not be for kevin or anything on the show does not mean the people doing that business are not having success, it is not a business for everyone but that is the business plan for agents like it or not, you must have questions about the stock market then with investing money in hopes you have a gain BUT there is a chance of a big loss too it is the same thing have to invest in a kid for the big return if you can not understand that then we are not sure how else to explain it, not like agents go after any kid they are all going after the top guys in the league .....if you have so many friends in the business of hockey why do you not ask them these questions rather than come on a post board and go on like someone angry on here and ruin a good post.

you also make things with the getting a player saying he is going NCAA sound so easy, which is easy to do when you know nothing about the actual machanics of everything....not sure how you think it is easy to draft a guy high saying he is going NCAA and if he does not come then just trade him for a good return, everyone wishes it was that easy, not always easy to just move a player some teams would not want to touch him, you have to find the right buyer then if the player says to those teams he is going NCAA unless quebec gets him then you have to try to work something out with quebec with them knowing they are the only team and you get low balled or he decided im just going NCAA, you do not always get a return, but you being super GM in the making would know that i guess, your able to pull off deals great GMs can not because you have friends lol and also anger i guess....sorry your son never got drafted nor had good advice because sounds like you failed to get him an advisor LOL.....ill stick to doing my job with the team and proving my worth by building a champion team rather than pretend i know the business and sit in a chair and put down people and the way things are run LOL.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:24 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Frankie you can insult me all you want saying i do not know what i am talking about, you do not know me and what i do, whether someone is a scout or GM or player or what ever does not mean they do not know hockey...actually the scouting is my job, not all scouts get paid just 1000 or 2000 a year, some on the team get paid paid eh, i also do work for many sites, magazines including Hockey News, I have been working with news papers across canada for scouting purposes, i have and am in talks about moving up to the NHL....and not all people get a job by knowing someone, some of us had to fight scratch and claw our way to where we get and we are proud of it....you can go on like a ranting idiot who acts like he knows all but then in the same sentence is asking questions and does not understand a thing we all know it is just for the fight on here you look for because one thing you are not on here is rational.....you put down the agent business saying their business plan would not fly in front of dragons den, well that is nice but just because it might not be for kevin or anything on the show does not mean the people doing that business are not having success, it is not a business for everyone but that is the business plan for agents like it or not, you must have questions about the stock market then with investing money in hopes you have a gain BUT there is a chance of a big loss too it is the same thing have to invest in a kid for the big return if you can not understand that then we are not sure how else to explain it, not like agents go after any kid they are all going after the top guys in the league .....if you have so many friends in the business of hockey why do you not ask them these questions rather than come on a post board and go on like someone angry on here and ruin a good post.

you also make things with the getting a player saying he is going NCAA sound so easy, which is easy to do when you know nothing about the actual machanics of everything....not sure how you think it is easy to draft a guy high saying he is going NCAA and if he does not come then just trade him for a good return, everyone wishes it was that easy, not always easy to just move a player some teams would not want to touch him, you have to find the right buyer then if the player says to those teams he is going NCAA unless quebec gets him then you have to try to work something out with quebec with them knowing they are the only team and you get low balled or he decided im just going NCAA, you do not always get a return, but you being super GM in the making would know that i guess, your able to pull off deals great GMs can not because you have friends lol and also anger i guess....sorry your son never got drafted nor had good advice because sounds like you failed to get him an advisor LOL.....ill stick to doing my job with the team and proving my worth by building a champion team rather than pretend i know the business and sit in a chair and put down people and the way things are run LOL.
Exactly this !

Yea hockey is becoming a boys club, but the real good ones, have had to fight their way to the top. Show some respect ! Scoutman does everyone on here a favor.

Your opinion is welcome any day scoutman.

Btw, I know people who know the Ducalirs, Boston College was always the priority. And he has that paid for him.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:02 PM
proam16

Quote:

Very well said. Thinking the same things. Frankie seems bitter. Either he or his son or both were passed over in their respective drafts.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Hockey Buff

Quote:

BAZINGA! Well put Mr Scoutman.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:19 PM
PorkChopSandwiches

Quote:

well said, lets hope that closes this discussion and we can get back to discussing the thread content, the current Q draft.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:50 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Noel 1st anyone ?

Closed Thread