HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

John Tavares vs Jonathan Toews

View Poll Results: Tavares vs Toews
Tavares 144 54.34%
Toews 121 45.66%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-13-2013, 07:19 PM
bsmith14

vCash: 500
I take Johnny T.

Toews that is.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
How about Tavares has to do more with less? Toews wasn't even considered the best player on his team through the majority of the season, because of Patrick Kane. No one had any doubt whatsoever where Tavares fit, or that the Islanders had no chance of making the playoffs without him.
How does Toews playing with one of the best offensive players in the game have anything to do with his offence vs Tavares? Toews and Kane played on different lines, and it was the Toews line matched up against the opposition's top shut down lines. As I have already stated, Toews outscored his line mates by way more than Tavares outscored his, so the whole linemate argument doesn't really hold up. Especially since Toews didn't miss a beat when Hossa went down and he was playing with Saad and Frolik.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Sakic19Duchene9

Captain serious.

Sakic19Duchene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:32 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Tavares by a little bit. He will probably be a top5 player in the league for a long time. He's got Crosby-level work ethic to fix the deficiencies in his game.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:42 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
How does Toews playing with one of the best offensive players in the game have anything to do with his offence vs Tavares? Toews and Kane played on different lines, and it was the Toews line matched up against the opposition's top shut down lines. As I have already stated, Toews outscored his line mates by way more than Tavares outscored his, so the whole linemate argument doesn't really hold up. Especially since Toews didn't miss a beat when Hossa went down and he was playing with Saad and Frolik.
Toews is better right now, however offensively Tavares probably has the edge. Chicago is the best team in the league. They have 4 allstar forwards in Sharp, Hossa, Kane, and Toews. Toews has incredible talent around him. They control the puck better than almost any team in the league. Don't you realize Kane helps Toews een if they aren't playing on the same line? Toews doesn't see other teams top defensive units every game like Tavares does.

Tavares carried Moulson, and especially Boyes. Boyes was beyond awful, infact he was our worst forward outside of marty reasoner. Give Tavares one of Sharp, Hossa, or Kane and who knows what happens, but his output would likely improve significantly.

Both players are great though, and I would be thrilled to have Toews on the Islanders, and as I said Toews all around game is probably more valuable right now, but lets wait and see what Tavares can turn into when he gets a few more players around him.

WangMustGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Sky04

Toews, equal offensively, miles better defensively.

People talk like Tavares is a 100 point guy, he's never even had a ppg season.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Tavares is the better hockey player in my opinion. The famous "intangibles" and defense (which is hard to measure) of Toews aren't enough to make up for the offense of Tavares.
Tavares had one less point than Toews this year.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:00 PM
nwaZ

Tavares is a leader.

nwaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwaZ View Post
Tavares is a leader.
He's not even a captain

Old
05-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
Oh really? 30 Hart Candidates? Name me the 30 players like him.

I say Tavares. He makes his linemates better. He is someone who can carry a team.
Well it's not 30 but last year 24 players received votes for the hart. Only 4 received 1st place votes though. Does Tavares get any 1st place votes this year? Probably not imo.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Toews is better right now, however offensively Tavares probably has the edge. Chicago is the best team in the league. They have 4 allstar forwards in Sharp, Hossa, Kane, and Toews. Toews has incredible talent around him. They control the puck better than almost any team in the league. Don't you realize Kane helps Toews een if they aren't playing on the same line? Toews doesn't see other teams top defensive units every game like Tavares does.
First of all, Toews does see other teams top defensive units every game. The opposing team's best defensive players were matched up against Toews/Hossa/Saad consistently all year. And with good reason since they were by far the best line on the Hawks. Second of all, Toews only played with one of those players you mentioned... And he outscored him by 17 points.

Quote:
Tavares carried Moulson, and especially Boyes. Boyes was beyond awful, infact he was our worst forward outside of marty reasoner. Give Tavares one of Sharp, Hossa, or Kane and who knows what happens, but his output would likely improve significantly.
Seems to me the same things were being said about PA Parenteau last year and it turns out that may not have been the case. You can't simply say that if you add Hossa or Sharp or Kane that Tavares would automatically have more points. Maybe with more talent around him he doesn't see as much PP time (where he scored a large portion of his points and played significantly more time than Toews did). Maybe playing for coach Q he is forced to play more defensively and his offence suffers.

Quote:
Both players are great though, and I would be thrilled to have Toews on the Islanders, and as I said Toews all around game is probably more valuable right now, but lets wait and see what Tavares can turn into when he gets a few more players around him.
I have no problem with this at all. My issue is with people saying that Tavares is way better offensively. He simply has not proved that he is to this point. That may change in the future, but for now the two players are on the same level offensively.

Last edited by Chelios: 05-14-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old
05-13-2013, 09:27 PM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Tavares' skill-set is significantly more tangible.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
Tavares' skill-set is significantly more tangible.
Actually, the only argument for Tavares being better offensively is hypothetical points he would put up with better linemates. That is about as intangible as you can get. Tangibly, they are equal offensively.

Old
05-13-2013, 11:27 PM
Evincar
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Toews, equal offensively, miles better defensively.

People talk like Tavares is a 100 point guy, he's never even had a ppg season.
Last season?

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Ujjy

lol Toews produces the same as Tavares and is better at literally everything else in the game. I feel that after last season I started over hyping Tavares a little bit, but this is just getting out of control. What exactly is it that makes Tavares better than players like Toews, Giroux, and Backstrom?

Ujjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:32 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

For me, it's Toews pretty easily (and if this were a 'favourite player' poll, I'd pick Tavares over Toews easily).

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:37 PM
Pekka Rinne

Jonathan Toews.

Tavares didn't deserve a Hart nomination either.

Pekka Rinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:39 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Last season?
81p in 82 games

this season was the 1st time since 1956 that a F who was under a point per game was a hart finalist.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:02 AM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 100
West says Toews, East says Tavares.

ohheyhemsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:56 AM
here come the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
Actually, the only argument for Tavares being better offensively is hypothetical points he would put up with better linemates. That is about as intangible as you can get. Tangibly, they are equal offensively.
Fairly new to the site, but I joined you in this fight in the Toews v Giroux v Backstrom poll. Couldn't agree more. Tavares is just not better than Toews offensively (at least significantly). People don't realize just how important everything Toews does is. Another poster mentioned Chicago always has the puck, well part of that is because Toews is the clear second best face-off man in the league. He always has the pucks because he gets it back at every opportunity. When they play together on Team Canada, it'll be pretty clear who Babcock thinks is the better player.

here come the is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:14 AM
Evincar
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
81p in 82 games

this season was the 1st time since 1956 that a F who was under a point per game was a hart finalist.
Wow 1 point. People are obsessed with little things like this. Tavares was 7th in scoring last season in a low scoring year league wide ,it would have been a 90-100 point season in other years.

And what does him being a Hart finalist have anything to do with this thread?

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:17 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Wow this poll shocked me. This is toews hands down. Captain great leader and won a cup. This is a funny poll. It's toews

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:30 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Wow 1 point. People are obsessed with little things like this. Tavares was 7th in scoring last season in a low scoring year league wide ,it would have been a 90-100 point season in other years.

Annoying isn't it? Toews was constantly ripped for "not even being a PPG player" despite putting up 0.95 PPG over his last 3 seasons (prior to this one).

Old
05-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Sky04

Quote:

Not a 100 point scorer if you don't score 100 points, not a 50 goal scorer if you don't score 50 goals...
Like it or not, it's not PPG if you don't have a point for every game.

And no it really isn't, Tavares isn't a 90 point scorer, never has been sorry.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:42 AM
Marina
Steve Holt!

Toews, easily.

Marina is online now   Reply With Quote