HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal canadiens cuts Part 2

Old
09-27-2006, 09:37 PM
larue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorFlav View Post

Personally I'd love to see a Ribeiro trade to insert both in the lineup...
Dont say another word and I will get you a twelve pack of donuts.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 09:40 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
They should have said that we had placed Dannis (?), Groulx (?) and Baines on waivers too...
Danis doesn't need to go through waivers this year. Groulx is not signed to any contract and Baines like Manlow are signed to ahl contracts.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 09:45 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHabs93 View Post
I think the best option would be to deal Aebi. That way both could stay with the team!

LMAO

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:11 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLu View Post
With Ribeiro and Latendresse we would have two bone crushing forwards... we saw yesterday what the NEW Ribeiro was able to do.
Introducing the devastating and new Doomsday line of Lats and Ribs!

Ahaha, that would be so messed up. Love it

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_sanch View Post
Hey aren't Blind Guardian coming to Montreal in October or something?
November 29th.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Ahhhh Yes........... trade a 55-60 pt CENTER to insert a rookie WINGER on the team. Not to mention Ribs has had 2 of his better games so far in the pre-season...
Pre-season doesn't mean much for a veteran. He outplayed Kovalev, for example.

Montreal has an abundance of centers to replace Ribeiro, don't worry.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Pre-season doesn't mean much for a veteran. He outplayed Kovalev, for example.

Montreal has an abundance of centers to replace Ribeiro, don't worry.
Hope you aren't beeing serious...No center in the current orginization has the offensive talents of Ribeiro. Grabovsky will probably adapt to the NA game quickly and might be with the club next year, but as of now Ribs is our best option as 2nd line center.

*If your post was sarcastic, then just skip this one.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Scotia_Vees View Post

or maybe this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6OqGLcfAFI&

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

From RDS...

"Les deux jeunes joueront à Ottawa jeudi soir. Latendresse complétera un trio avec Tomas Plekanec et Mike Johnson. Kostitsyn formera une unité avec Mike Ribeiro et Alex Kovalev. Guy Carbonneau pourra ainsi voir ce qu'ils ont "dans le ventre" face à une équipe de la Ligue nationale composée de ses meilleurs éléments."

pretty much translates to that tomorrow night Lats is gonna be playing on a line with Plex and Johnson and Kosty is gonna be playing on a line with Ribs and Kovy

http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/213869.html

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:37 PM
turnbuckle*

I don't know about the rest of you, but i'm ecstatic about the way things have undfolded at camp - the two most highly touted prospects in terms of possibly being ready before training camp have performed admirably, and derservedly have survived until the final cuts. One or both were originally to be part of this round of cuts, but have changed the coach's mind.

Additionally, Chipchura has shown that with a little work on his quickness he'll be ready for a spot sometime next season, and Ryan O'Byrne is looking like a solid third rounder to help appease the disappointment of Urquhart in 2003.

High picks between 2001-05:

Komisarek
Perezhogin
Milroy
Plekanec
Higgins
Linhart
Kostitsyn
Urquhart
Lapierre
O'Byrne
Chipchura
Emelin
Price
Latendresse

A couple of dispapointments, but what team didn't have a dud or two in the top three rounds? Clearly the recent Savard/Timmins era from 2001-05 will go down as the most successful since the early 1980's or perhaps even the 1970s as far as making shrewd selections with their top picks. Eight players from that period would arguably be first round picks if the drafts were to be redone today: Komo, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Higgins, Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Price and Latendresse. Add in what many believe to be a solid group of top picks in Maxwell, Fischer, White and Carle from 2006......few teams have picked better than the Habs since 2001 IMO.

The Habs have only just started reaping the benefits of the recent drafting turnaround...three or four years from now when Higgins, Pleks, Komo, Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Latendresse, Price, Emelin, O'Byrne, Lapierre and Chipchura are in their primes and early primes...with Kosty Jr., D'Agostini, Fischer, Carle, Maxwell and White knocking at the door......the future looks promising.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Pakeha

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but i'm ecstatic about the way things have undfolded at camp - the two most highly touted prospects in terms of possibly being ready before training camp have performed admirably, and derservedly have survived until the final cuts. One or both were originally to be part of this round of cuts, but have changed the coach's mind.

Additionally, Chipchura has shown that with a little work on his quickness he'll be ready for a spot sometime next season, and Ryan O'Byrne is looking like a solid third rounder to help appease the disappointment of Urquhart in 2003.

High picks between 2001-05:

Komisarek
Perezhogin
Milroy
Plekanec
Higgins
Linhart
Kostitsyn
Urquhart
Lapierre
O'Byrne
Chipchura
Emelin
Price
Latendresse

A couple of dispapointments, but what team didn't have a dud or two in the top three rounds? Clearly the recent Savard/Timmins era from 2001-05 will go down as the most successful since the early 1980's or perhaps even the 1970s as far as making shrewd selections with their top picks. Eight players from that period would arguably be first round picks if the drafts were to be redone today: Komo, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Higgins, Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Price and Latendresse. Add in what many believe to be a solid group of top picks in Maxwell, Fischer, White and Carle from 2006......few teams have picked better than the Habs since 2001 IMO.

The Habs have only just started reaping the benefits of the recent drafting turnaround...three or four years from now when Higgins, Pleks, Komo, Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Latendresse, Price, Emelin, O'Byrne, Lapierre and Chipchura are in their primes and early primes...with Kosty Jr., D'Agostini, Fischer, Carle, Maxwell and White knocking at the door......the future looks promising.
I agree. The Habs are in very good shape with a reasonable team this year and a lot of young talented players - probably as much, if not more than any other club. You have to know that Gainey and Co. will do well..... and I am not even a Habs fan.

Pakeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 11:53 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Hope you aren't beeing serious...No center in the current orginization has the offensive talents of Ribeiro. Grabovsky will probably adapt to the NA game quickly and might be with the club next year, but as of now Ribs is our best option as 2nd line center.

*If your post was sarcastic, then just skip this one.
I meant the Habs have enough depth at center to adequately replace Ribeiro should he be dealt away. Pure talent notwithstanding, I feel the Habs would be just as competetive without him.

That said, Kostitsyn isn't enough of a gamebreaking talent to warrant getting rid of Ribeiro and shortening the offensive depth.

Being able to keep him in the AHL another year is a luxury.

Old
09-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcllOfwAN54

or this.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:02 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
I meant the Habs have enough depth at center to adequately replace Ribeiro should he be dealt away. Pure talent notwithstanding, I feel the Habs would be just as competetive without him.

That said, Kostitsyn isn't enough of a gamebreaking talent to warrant getting rid of Ribeiro and shortening the offensive depth.

Being able to keep him in the AHL another year is a luxury.
How? Locke isn't ready, Grabs isn't either...and we don't have any other center on the team who's proven they can produce as well as Ribs can.

Old
09-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
How? Locke isn't ready, Grabs isn't either...and we don't have any other center on the team who's proven they can produce as well as Ribs can.
I have to agree with this. Right now, the Habs are a better team with Mike Ribeiro than without.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:04 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
How? Locke isn't ready, Grabs isn't either...
Ok, one more time then I'm not replying to you in this thread.

Guys we have that can play center currently on the roster(sans Ribs):
Plekanec, Johnson, Bonk, Begin, Koivu.

In the minors: Chipchura, Lapierre.

Quote:
...and we don't have any other center on the team who's proven they can produce as well as Ribs can.
Oh so it's about having scored more than 60 points? Then you're wrong as Bonk's done it. Johnson too. Given the 2nd line center spot so would Plekanec.

Old
09-28-2006, 01:14 AM
Shabutie

Quote:

Oh so it's about having scored more than 60 points? Then you're wrong as Bonk's done it. Johnson too. Given the 2nd line center spot so would Plekanec.
Bonk centered 2 of the most talented players in the NHL...We don't have that. Go ask on the Ottawa boards if they think Bonk is a good insurance policy as a 2nd line center.

While Johnson might be a good player, he's no where near the playmaker nor passer that Ribs is (Though I won't lie, I haven't seen him much since his toronto days, I'm going by what people on the Yotes board have said). As for Pleks, he hasn't proven that he can be consistently productive in the offensive zones. Some nights you can praise him for his work in the O-zone, but others he just doesn't seem to get it rolling. Again, he doesn't have Mikey's vision, passing nor playmaking skills. Not to mention Ribs potential is much higher.

This season, Ribs will prove all nay-sayers wrong, and show that he really belongs on the second line.

Old
09-28-2006, 01:29 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Not to mention Ribs potential is much higher.
Ribs at 27 is hitting his prime years. I don't think he has much potential left to obtain. He "simply" needs to add consistency in his work ethic to his skillset.

sXe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:53 AM
Marksman

I dont see any difficulty replacing Ribeiro, if needed.

Plekanec put 29 points in a season shortened and slowed with knee injury, mostly playing in defensive role. Give him 2nd line icetime, offensively talented linemates and good powerplay time I see no problem him producing 50-60 points. Johnson already put those points in his past couple seasons. They might lack flashy moves Ribeiro has, but they make up for it in other areas.

Better speed to keep up with Samsonov and Kovalev.

Defensive reliability to better compliment the abovementioned players.

Leadership qualities, again to keep those same players motivated.

Better faceoff ratio, which is a big part in centermans game.

---

But... we are stuck with Mike for another year, might aswell let him play there, not much use outside top 6 for him.

Last edited by Marksman: 09-28-2006 at 01:58 AM.
Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:55 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Ribs at 27 is hitting his prime years. I don't think he has much potential left to obtain. He "simply" needs to add consistency in his work ethic to his skillset.
Consistency can play a part in potential. For example, Kovalev is potentialy a 90 point man if he worked on his consistency. If Mike could get his lower body strength up, work on his skating and become more reliable defensively, he could be a ton better than he was/is.

Old
09-28-2006, 02:00 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post

But... we are stuck with Mike for another year, might aswell let him play there, not much use outside top 6 for him.
Just like there isn't much use for Pleks on the top 6.

Old
09-28-2006, 02:14 AM
Rowbear

Ferland placed on waivers

"The Canadiens have placed right winger Jonathan Ferland on waivers. Also, the club assigned goaltender Yann Danis, defenceman Danny Groulx, centres Maxim Lapierre, Ajay Baines, Kyle Chipchura and Corey Locke to Hamilton of the American Hockey League and goaltender Carey Price to his junior team."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

Rowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:15 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Just like there isn't much use for Pleks on the top 6.
Why is that?

In so far, every time hes been given a chance, at AHL and playoffs last season, hes been producing same or better points than Ribeiro.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:22 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Hey remember when Koivu went down with an injury in December and Ribs had to be the #1 center? How well did that go?

Old
09-28-2006, 02:25 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Hey remember when Koivu went down with an injury in December and Ribs had to be the #1 center? How well did that go?
Actually Pleks centered the first line when Koivu went down...and I believe didn't register a point in that stint. Anywho, no use debating what went down that season...It was Pleks' rookie season and a (what I think was) bad one for Ribs. Still though, if I were to estimate, I'd say Pleks ceiling is around 50 pts while ribs is above 70. Both should be very useful in their roles next season.