HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Are the Blues the Chicago Cubs of hockey?

Old
05-11-2013, 01:29 AM
Hawks82

vCash: 500
No pro sports team is like the Cubs, they're a special kind of suck.

Hawks82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:45 AM
BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroonk2002* View Post
The problem with the Blues now (currently a top-4 team in the West) is the same as it was 10-15 years ago (they were a top-4 team in the West then too).

They lack the top-end talent that other powerhouses have.

Backes, Steen, Stewart, and Berglund, etc., are all solid players. But they aren't quite Kopitar, Richards, Carter, and Brown.

Just like Tkachuk, Weight, and Turgeon were never quite Sakic, Forsberg, and Hejduk/Tanguay/Drury. Or Yzerman, Fedorov, and Shanahan.

The Blues needed a true gamebreaker to win some of these close/tight games for them.
And because of the economics of the game it's very unlikely they'll get one. Because they are a small market their best chance was in the 70s, 80s, and the Hull years before the money became insane. They blew their chances then too!

BladesofSTEELwFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:53 AM
ItsMyFault
Fan of Losing Teams

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Los Angeles View Post
id be disappointed if this is only how you guys react if you ever win it. i expect total anarchy
That's what I would expect also. North side would create a 2nd great fire.

ItsMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 02:01 AM
jimslob

I believe the Blues had the only Conn Smythe winner in a losing SC final in 1968.

It was their goaltender Glenn Hall that carried them to the finals and won the trophy in a losing cause that year.

He, combined with Jaques Plante also won the Vezina the following year.

Whoops, that is not correct, he was the second player to receive it on a losing team and there have been two more since.

Anyway I was hoping that St Lou would take out LA and go deep, now I really don't care who wins.

I am a Canucks fan by the way.

jimslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:17 AM
BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueswede22 View Post
0,2 seconds...well thatīs a new one...hopefully it will be as enjoyable having that slapshot repeting itself over and over in the back of my mind as it was having Stevie Y:s slapshot there for all of those years...

Oh happy times...
It was .1 seconds. The Kings scored at 19:59.9 of the 2nd period!

Old
05-11-2013, 08:59 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimslob View Post
I believe the Blues had the only Conn Smythe winner in a losing SC final in 1968.It was their goaltender Glenn Hall that carried them to the finals and won the trophy in a losing cause that year.

Whoops, that is not correct, he was the second player to receive it on a losing team and there have been two more since.

Anyway I was hoping that St Lou would take out LA and go deep, now I really don't care who wins.

Pretty sure Giguere won it with the Ducks when they lost.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:35 AM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Pretty sure Giguere won it with the Ducks when they lost.
Ditto this guy:

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimslob View Post
I believe the Blues had the only Conn Smythe winner in a losing SC final in 1968.

It was their goaltender Glenn Hall that carried them to the finals and won the trophy in a losing cause that year.

losing team players that have won the conn smythe:

roger crozier (goaltender 1966)
glenn hall (goaltender 1968)
reggie leach (right winger 1976)
ron hextall (goaltender 1987)
jean sebastien gigeure (goaltender 2003)

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

not sure about that giving up a 2-0 series lead. All they did was just win their home games what they are expected to do to advance. Kings won all of their home games while taking one away in STL.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:24 AM
puckyeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSTEELwFIRE View Post
Lot of frustration in St.Louis after being up 2-0 and then losing 3 in a row. It's been almost 50 years of playoff failures and many Blues fans are really frustrated.
No.

The Blues will win the Cup next season, the Cubs are still a ways away.

puckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 02:45 AM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

No major sports franchise could dream of being as horrid as the Cubs are.

Ray Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Until a few years ago the Red Sox were way ahead of the Cubs because they choked more than an adolescent reform school next to a chicken farm.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Meob

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroonk2002* View Post
The problem with the Blues now (currently a top-4 team in the West) is the same as it was 10-15 years ago (they were a top-4 team in the West then too).

They lack the top-end talent that other powerhouses have.

Backes, Steen, Stewart, and Berglund, etc., are all solid players. But they aren't quite Kopitar, Richards, Carter, and Brown.

Just like Tkachuk, Weight, and Turgeon were never quite Sakic, Forsberg, and Hejduk/Tanguay/Drury. Or Yzerman, Fedorov, and Shanahan.

The Blues needed a true gamebreaker to win some of these close/tight games for them.
Turgeon was definitely a good enough #1 center to win the cup and I would not put hejduk, tanguay, and drury over him. the blues also could have easily won that series with colorado and the cup in 2001, especially if they got better goaltending. Turek let them down bigtime, but minus goaltending, they easily looked like the better team that series.

Meob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:07 PM
ObeyMashinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckyeah View Post
No.

The Blues will win the Cup next season, the Cubs are still a ways away.
I'd have to disagree that the Blues will win the cup next season. They lack those elite offensive players that are the hardest to come by. They wont win the cup ever with the core they have, infact. Take it to the bank.

ObeyMashinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Amberelise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meob View Post
Turgeon was definitely a good enough #1 center to win the cup and I would not put hejduk, tanguay, and drury over him. the blues also could have easily won that series with colorado and the cup in 2001, especially if they got better goaltending. Turek let them down bigtime, but minus goaltending, they easily looked like the better team that series.
But, what goaltender would be better than Roy? Even if you replaced Turek, there wasn't a goalie better than Roy to replace him with.

Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:02 PM
BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyBollig View Post
I'd have to disagree that the Blues will win the cup next season. They lack those elite offensive players that are the hardest to come by. They wont win the cup ever with the core they have, infact. Take it to the bank.
Agreed. Look at the frustration in the article by Blues writer Jeremy Rutherford:

The disappointment level for Blues' fans in the playoffs continues to have no boundaries.

After the excitement of a two-game lead in their best-of-seven Western Conference quarterfinal series against LA, the Blues bowed out of the postseason Friday night after a 2-1 loss in Game 6.

And if that's all one reads, they might be better off.

For a franchise still looking for its first Stanley Cup and still lamenting many postseason fall-outs, the Blues have another one to add to the collection. In a series that played to six one-goal decisions, the finish was even closer, as LA's Dustin Penner netted the game-winning goal with two-hundreds of a second remaining in the second period.

The defending Stanley Cup champions claimed the series four games to two and will advance to play either Anaheim or San Jose in the second round. The Blues, predicted by some to be contenders for the Kings' crown, will claim their belongings in St. Louis and depart for the offseason.

"Itís beginning to be a broken record but we still didnít get the job done," captain David Backes said. "We were up to 2-0 and to lose four straight. Itís pretty sour right now. This team was hot going into the playoffs, added pieces at the deadline. We took on some big players and we were expecting better than this. I donít know what the next step is, but right now itís just sour.Ē

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...7db3b6ac5.html

Old
05-12-2013, 05:17 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Do people not know that Bobby Orr scored "the goal" against the Blues to win the Cup? Of course they've been in the finals.

#LateToTheParty

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:21 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
They are basically another version of the Predators. They won't be winning anything.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Meob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberelise View Post
But, what goaltender would be better than Roy? Even if you replaced Turek, there wasn't a goalie better than Roy to replace him with.
no goaltender would have been better than Roy. I'm just saying the series could have easily gone both ways, especially if Turek wasn't letting in the soft goals he was all series. He didn't need to be as good as Roy. The Blues could have still lost the series if Turek was solid, obv there's no way to know, but imo if Turek was at least solid, they would have taken the series.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Meob

Quote:
not a very bold statement, most teams won't win a cup with their current core. tank it to bank.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Amberelise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meob View Post
no goaltender would have been better than Roy. I'm just saying the series could have easily gone both ways, especially if Turek wasn't letting in the soft goals he was all series. He didn't need to be as good as Roy. The Blues could have still lost the series if Turek was solid, obv there's no way to know, but imo if Turek was at least solid, they would have taken the series.
Completely disagree. The Avs were just deeper. You can't stop at the first two lines when comparing. There were some good games. (I was at the ones in StL - including one that I believe went into triple OT, but I'm recalling that off of memory. I just know I was REALLY tired and REALLY drunk by the end, ha!) But, the Blues only won one of them.

Avs had Foote, Bourque, Blake, Deadmarsh, Yelle, Podein... and the knock on Hejduk... He had the second most goals on the team for the season. (Recall that a couple of season later he won the Rocket Richard.) I believe this was also the season Foppa missed most of the regular for ankle surgery and then popped in for the playoffs.

Avs were the better team. I think the Blues should have had a better shot in 2000. It was THAT one where Turek royally screwed them.

Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Meob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberelise View Post
Completely disagree. The Avs were just deeper. You can't stop at the first two lines when comparing. There were some good games. (I was at the ones in StL - including one that I believe went into triple OT, but I'm recalling that off of memory. I just know I was REALLY tired and REALLY drunk by the end, ha!) But, the Blues only won one of them.

Avs had Foote, Bourque, Blake, Deadmarsh, Yelle, Podein... and the knock on Hejduk... He had the second most goals on the team for the season. (Recall that a couple of season later he won the Rocket Richard.) I believe this was also the season Foppa missed most of the regular for ankle surgery and then popped in for the playoffs.

Avs were the better team. I think the Blues should have had a better shot in 2000. It was THAT one where Turek royally screwed them.
blues were plenty deep too. craig conroy was their 3rd line center that year. they also had turgeon, demitra, tkachuk, pronger, macinnis, hecht, drake, mellanby, salvador.

and imo turek screwed them in both 2000 and 2001. I remember one goal in particular against colorado from joe sakic (I think) that was was a straight, unscreened wrist shot from the blueline. he was also flopping around like a fish on pretty much every shot. there's no way to be in a playoff series when your goaltender does that. blues should have never relied on him after 2000.

anyway, blues had a great chance to take that series if Turek was at least solid. but yeah, the avs were the better team, they won the series.

Old
05-12-2013, 08:18 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
They are basically another version of the Predators. They won't be winning anything.
eh, they have more forward talent than the preds do/did.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Ubi Sunt
QQ Joe

Yeah, it's the Leafs

Ubi Sunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:51 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Nothing would make me happier than the Blues going another 50 or so years without a cup.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote