HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal canadiens cuts Part 2

Old
09-28-2006, 01:34 AM
Blades 0f Steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Actually Pleks centered the first line when Koivu went down...and I believe didn't register a point in that stint. Anywho, no use debating what went down that season...It was Pleks' rookie season and a (what I think was) bad one for Ribs. Still though, if I were to estimate, I'd say Pleks ceiling is around 50 pts while ribs is above 70. Both should be very useful in their roles next season.
Pleks was injured for a good portion of Koivu's injury...

and if he did get 1st line icetime it's because Ribs stunk the Bell Centre out.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:38 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post
From RDS...

"Les deux jeunes joueront à Ottawa jeudi soir. Latendresse complétera un trio avec Tomas Plekanec et Mike Johnson. Kostitsyn formera une unité avec Mike Ribeiro et Alex Kovalev. Guy Carbonneau pourra ainsi voir ce qu'ils ont "dans le ventre" face à une équipe de la Ligue nationale composée de ses meilleurs éléments."

pretty much translates to that tomorrow night Lats is gonna be playing on a line with Plex and Johnson and Kosty is gonna be playing on a line with Ribs and Kovy

http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/213869.html

Lats has the advantage

Plex >> Ribeiro

Johnnson more steady than Kovy...so there shouldn't be too many blunders, what i mean is Plex's line is waay more steady and should have a greater impact imo

we'll see...i still don't believe in Ribeiro...if he wants to make me eat my socks Fine...there was a time when i believed...will it happen again?

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:39 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Actually Pleks centered the first line when Koivu went down...and I believe didn't register a point in that stint.
Nope. Ribeiro had bigger minutes with Dagenais and Ryder - when Plekanec was playing with Bulis/Perezhogin and Zednik in 2nd and 3rd lines.

http://www.cs.unb.ca/~mwf/habs/2005-06/regseason/

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:44 AM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Actually Pleks centered the first line when Koivu went down...and I believe didn't register a point in that stint. Anywho, no use debating what went down that season...It was Pleks' rookie season and a (what I think was) bad one for Ribs. Still though, if I were to estimate, I'd say Pleks ceiling is around 50 pts while ribs is above 70. Both should be very useful in their roles next season.
Pleks in time, will put up better stats than Ribs and is already a better 2-way player...so! Not to mention the guy has balls of steel (not afraid of traffic). He's way more effective than Ribs at the same age.

Nyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:46 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathion View Post
"The Canadiens have placed right winger Jonathan Ferland on waivers. Also, the club assigned goaltender Yann Danis, defenceman Danny Groulx, centres Maxim Lapierre, Ajay Baines, Kyle Chipchura and Corey Locke to Hamilton of the American Hockey League and goaltender Carey Price to his junior team."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=
I wont speak out loud cause the last time I did it, Columbus picked Beauchemin on waivers... Im not saying Ferland would be an as big loss as Beauchemin was but he certainly is a high quality grinder.. Just like Lappy is.. Both are Quebecers as well...

I appreciate Downie but no doubt Ferland is a better grinder..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:47 AM
madbox

How long does it take to clear waivers anyways?

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:50 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
I wont speak out loud cause the last time I did it, Columbus picked Beauchemin on waivers... Im not saying Ferland would be an as big loss as Beauchemin was but he certainly is a high quality grinder.. Just like Lappy is.. Both are Quebecers as well...

I appreciate Downie but no doubt Ferland is a better grinder..
Yeah but there's one thing Downie does better than any Hab...excluding maybe Souray and Komo

Old
09-28-2006, 01:54 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Yeah but there's one thing Downie does better than any Hab...excluding maybe Souray and Komo
Smiling?

Dont get me wrong, I like Downie but I like Ferland better, hits as much and is a better hockey player.

Old
09-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Smiling?

Dont get me wrong, I like Downie but I like Ferland better, hits as much and is a better hockey player.
Has Bettman banned fighting yet?

Old
09-28-2006, 02:29 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Has Bettman banned fighting yet?
You will see less and less fights in the NHL... Some can drop the gloves if really needed and I think Ferland can do it...

Old
09-28-2006, 10:13 AM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Ferland placed on waivers

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

2nd paragraph from the bottom. I don't think he's played enough NHL games to have to be put on waivers in order to be sent down to Hamilton, so whats the motivation behind this?

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Habz2006

Ummm there is nothing on there saying he is being placed on waivers...

Habz2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Qui Gon Dave

I saw it mentioned somewhere else, the reason for it I believe is either his age or the number of seasons played in the AHL/NHL. Don't think the number of NHL games has anything to do with it in this case.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 10:25 AM
mabus

Agreed the page does not say he was placed on waivers. Was possibly a mistake that was corrected by TSN {wouldn't be the first, or hundredth time}.

I can't imagine the habs simply waiving ferland like that, This is Bob Gainey, not Rejean Houle

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
all the movement's sites (TSN, ESPN, forecaster) are saying, the Habs assigned him to Hamilton, so he is currently on waiver or he has already cleared waivers...

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Nope. Ribeiro had bigger minutes with Dagenais and Ryder - when Plekanec was playing with Bulis/Perezhogin and Zednik in 2nd and 3rd lines.

http://www.cs.unb.ca/~mwf/habs/2005-06/regseason/
Actually...2 games before Koivu's injury, he was placed centering Higgins and Ryder. After the 1st game that Koivu went down, Pleks played the first line...the next game he played the 2nd and the next the 4th then the 3rd... He wasn't being effective, it was clear. The next game he got injured...After the olympic break, he seemed to get things rolling a little better, with 4 pts in 2 games I believe, and he got 17 of his 29 pts in his last 36 games (out of 67 games). I'm not saying he's not a good player offensive... He's our 2nd most important 2 way forward (Higgins, maybe 3rd if you wanna consider Koivu as 2-way), and more valuable than Ribs, but he will never have Ribs' productivitiy, you can quote me on that.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:19 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post
Agreed the page does not say he was placed on waivers. Was possibly a mistake that was corrected by TSN {wouldn't be the first, or hundredth time}.

I can't imagine the habs simply waiving ferland like that, This is Bob Gainey, not Rejean Houle
Ferland is on waivers, he can not play in the AHL without first going through them.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:24 AM
deandebean

Quote:
What? Wipe is nose after doing some shadow boxing?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:26 AM
ti-vite

Look who Ferland (aS a 20 year old) outscored in his last year of junior (an 18 year old)

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...016992003.html

I can't emphasize this enough:

Boston pick him up?

ti-vite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
but he will never have Ribs' productivitiy, you can quote me on that.
Funny, I seem to recall you used to think highly enough of Pleks that he should be the 2nd line center. What changed? You just like going against the grain?

Old
09-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
You will see less and less fights in the NHL... Some can drop the gloves if really needed and I think Ferland can do it...
Just wait until McGratton and Neil start roughing up Kovalev. You'll be sorry.

Old
09-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Funny, I seem to recall you used to think highly enough of Pleks that he should be the 2nd line center. What changed? You just like going against the grain?
I never said he should be the 2nd line center, he's definitely a good alternative though (for injuries or cold streaks). If Ribs were to go down or not show up this season, I wouldn't be too concerned with Pleks and Johnson as backups.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
I never said he should be the 2nd line center, he's definitely a good alternative though (for injuries or cold streaks). If Ribs were to go down or not show up this season, I wouldn't be too concerned with Pleks and Johnson as backups.
Yes you did.