Notices

You guys like LEWIS ? I DONT.

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2006, 06:59 AM
Bojakees*

vCash: 500
You guys like LEWIS ? I DONT.

I think we did many many very good things this off season. I think the only mistake was hiring this guy. I dont know if I just hate him so deeply for the Kluzak pre season hit 20 whatever years ago.......or something else.

I watched the Rags/Bruins last night and I just did not like what I saw.....I could be wrong but it seems to me the third and fourth lines played as much as the first two lines......STURM needs to be with Bergy and Boyes...Kessel looks Good...But I dont know about his strength....Savard looked LOST....

We are a young team, I dont think Dave Lewis has one bit of creativity, He seems an old school, guy with a boring system. Please help me out here....Am I wrong on Lewis and it is just that I hate him for the Kluzak hit...Or Am I sensing correctly and is his system is boring, slow, and not very good. I also think Chara looked poor on the PP and maybe should go to the net or off the ice. Bergie and Stuart can man the points....I'm pissed that I watched them get shutout last night. PISSED.

Old
09-28-2006, 07:04 AM
Silva

Send a message via AIM to Silva
please come back after they've actually played 10 games

Old
09-28-2006, 07:06 AM
BruinsGirl

I wasn't happy about the result, specially because I had to order MSG specially for this game.

However I think you judge Lewis too early. He is still looking for the right combinations. It's still a preseason, and that's what preseason for.

I think that unfortunately Dave's look affects people's opinion about him.

Old
09-28-2006, 07:13 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEKACUP View Post
I think we did many many very good things this off season. I think the only mistake was hiring this guy. I dont know if I just hate him so deeply for the Kluzak pre season hit 20 whatever years ago.......or something else.

I watched the Rags/Bruins last night and I just did not like what I saw.....I could be wrong but it seems to me the third and fourth lines played as much as the first two lines......STURM needs to be with Bergy and Boyes...Kessel looks Good...But I dont know about his strength....Savard looked LOST....

We are a young team, I dont think Dave Lewis has one bit of creativity, He seems an old school, guy with a boring system. Please help me out here....Am I wrong on Lewis and it is just that I hate him for the Kluzak hit...Or Am I sensing correctly and is his system is boring, slow, and not very good. I also think Chara looked poor on the PP and maybe should go to the net or off the ice. Bergie and Stuart can man the points....I'm pissed that I watched them get shutout last night. PISSED.
You are kidding right?

If not, you may want to put some rocks in that backpack...and then jump off the cliff...you will fall faster j/k

I did not get to watch the game, so I was spared the bad play, but it is the PRESEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In preseason games you want to really look hard at the third and fourth lines because that is where the question marks are.

The B's know what they have in the Top6, (they may have to tweak the combos?) and they know what they have on the blueline for the most part. So it makes perfect sense for Lewis to be giving the players he is evaluating the most, the longest look.

As far as your hatred for Lewis for something that happened over 20 years ago (and I am sure something that he did not intend)...you need to let it go. I am more concerned about Lewis" rep of being too nice a guy, than I am about something that happened in a split second over two decades ago

I know Wings fans would probably dog him...but he did have two pretty successful seasons after a long VERY successful stretch as an Asst. They kept him in the organization...which would make no sense if they thought the guy was a failure.

And the icing on the cake...the guy that replaced him had the exact same results that Lewis did...that tells me that maybe the core of players in DET was more to blame than the coach?

Anyway...it was one preseason game.

Old
09-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Bruins Chica
A dream come true

It's called preseason. I would give the guy a chance to prove himself before I bash him. I think this goes back to Lady Rhian's post about us being too happy and needing something to ***** about.

Old
09-28-2006, 07:27 AM
Bojakees*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
You are kidding right?

If not, you may want to put some rocks in that backpack...and then jump off the cliff...you will fall faster j/k

I did not get to watch the game, so I was spared the bad play, but it is the PRESEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In preseason games you want to really look hard at the third and fourth lines because that is where the question marks are.

The B's know what they have in the Top6, (they may have to tweak the combos?) and they know what they have on the blueline for the most part. So it makes perfect sense for Lewis to be giving the players he is evaluating the most, the longest look.

As far as your hatred for Lewis for something that happened over 20 years ago (and I am sure something that he did not intend)...you need to let it go. I am more concerned about Lewis" rep of being too nice a guy, than I am about something that happened in a split second over two decades ago

I know Wings fans would probably dog him...but he did have two pretty successful seasons after a long VERY successful stretch as an Asst. They kept him in the organization...which would make no sense if they thought the guy was a failure.

And the icing on the cake...the guy that replaced him had the exact same results that Lewis did...that tells me that maybe the core of players in DET was more to blame than the coach?

Anyway...it was one preseason game.
I dont mean HATE HATE......That was a poor choice of words....Dislike...That would be it.....Its just his style. I used to say the same thing when watching the Wings...I never liked the way he used his players. His mixing of lines, And I think it flashed back to me last night.....Again I could be wrong, thats why I am asking......I just dont think this guy relates well to players...It seems to me the game has passed him by in a way...I also think Sullivan got screwed.....Thats here nor there.....

But the bottom line is I dont think Lewis was the right coach for this team......Have'nt from day one. I hardly saw one dump and chase last night. I think we got out hit....No sustained pressure at all, No rebound shots........I guess I gotta watch again Saturday.....But right this second, I am not happy. I know one game...I will reserve further judjement But I think by game forty, alotta of us will be feeling the way I do...I'd bet on it.

Old
09-28-2006, 07:33 AM
BruinAddict

Quote:
I dont mean HATE HATE......That was a poor choice of words....Dislike...That would be it.....Its just his style. I used to say the same thing when watching the Wings...I never liked the way he used his players. His mixing of lines, And I think it flashed back to me last night.....Again I could be wrong, thats why I am asking......I just dont think this guy relates well to players...It seems to me the game has passed him by in a way...I also think Sullivan got screwed.....Thats here nor there.....

But the bottom line is I dont think Lewis was the right coach for this team......Have'nt from day one. I hardly saw one dump and chase last night. I think we got out hit....No sustained pressure at all, No rebound shots........I guess I gotta watch again Saturday.....But right this second, I am not happy. I know one game...I will reserve further judjement But I think by game forty, alotta of us will be feeling the way I do...I'd bet on it.
One period is enough.

And yes, I think you're overreacting.

Old
09-28-2006, 07:49 AM
misterjaggers

I'd be disappointed if Lewis didn't experiment with different combinations in the preseason.

Old
09-28-2006, 07:50 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
I think it is waaaay too early to judge him or the players.

This is basically an expansion team in regard to all the new faces. It will take some time .

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
09-28-2006, 07:57 AM
NCHarleyHardtail

Send a message via AIM to NCHarleyHardtail Send a message via MSN to NCHarleyHardtail Send a message via Yahoo to NCHarleyHardtail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva View Post
please come back after they've actually played 10 games
Excellent post Well said !!!!

Old
09-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Ch 4 Action News

2nd to last preseason game, on the road...your just not gonna get the A game. Some players are just going through the motions tweaking this and that making sure they are ready for the REAL games. Not many on this roster are fighting for a spot. The coach doesn't want to play his top guys too much before the season starts.

Nothing to read into how they played against a much more feisty team with a LOT more players that were trying to earn a spot on the roster with their club.

Old
09-28-2006, 08:05 AM
slegr_71
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to slegr_71 Send a message via Yahoo to slegr_71
Here are the superstats for the game: Bruins-Rangers superstats. While the ice time for the 4th liners was definitely higher than the 4th line used to see under Sullivan, they most definitely did not play more than the 1st or second line. The guys on the top 2 lines, except for Kessel, were all in the 16 - 19 min. range, the 3rd line was just under 15 min (with 2 - 4 min each on the PK), 4th liners 6 - 8 min (discounting the 2 min.+ that Mowers played on the PK.) In my estimation that is a much better use of the 4th liners than under Sullivan's regime. Maybe now our top guys will have a little more gas in the 3rd period.

Old
09-28-2006, 08:26 AM
bastone

Im very pissed at the final result too.I looked at our lineup compared to the Rags lineup and I told my self it was gonna be a one sided game.I did not watch the game,the shots total favored the Bruins,I also saw that they got into some penalty trouble.I don't mind Lewis trying stuff in the pre season.Honestly think about it,you saw I can't believe that the 3rd and 4th line played as much as our top 2 lines.Our 3rd line is one of the best 3rd lines in the NHL, they can close a game up.Our 4th line are players that are fighting to make the team,not Bergeron,Boyes,Kessel,Sturm,Savard and Murray.You have to understand that,the coache's don't care about the top 3 lines because they are already set in his mind.He needs to see who will take the 4th line duttys.Also Bro,think about it the 4th line when the season comes around won't play much max 5 minutes per game,give them their $$%$^&*^ ice time in the pre season

Old
09-28-2006, 08:28 AM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
The top 6 is set with Bergeron, Boyes, Savard, Murray, Sturm and Kessel. The bottom 6 is NOT set. Only Axelsson and probably Donovan are assured spots. I don't even think that Primeau is an absolute (although he probably has a long leg up). I was pissed when I saw the Bruins got shutout last night, but when I looked at the minutes played, I realized what Lewis was doing.

81 C KESSEL, PHIL E 13:50
71 C SAVARD, MARC -1 16:37
26 C BOYES, BRAD E 15:00

These minutes are not reflective of how much they will play in the regular season. Since those lines are set, Lewis only has 2 more games to determine who and how the bottom 6 are going to play. He lined up Axelsson-Primeau-Donovan last night and wanted to see if they were a capable 3rd line. It's too bad the Rags didn't suit up real NHL competition, but had they done so I think the score would have been a lot worse based on the recounts of last night's game.

Old
09-28-2006, 08:30 AM
bb74

Lewis has assembled a good staff and has given every player his shot to make the opening night roster. He's gotten the team physically prepared for the season, most of the tinkering done, and a system in place that would appear to play to the strenghts of the guys on the team. I don't know how you can be so pissed after a 1-0 loss away at the end of pre-season - look at the positives - Thomas and Toivonen have been stellar in pre-season - the forwards are deep and skilled and we have a very good top-3. If anything piss and moan about having a weak bottom pairing on D or perhaps, if that doesn't do it a bad hair day or split nail. Give the guy a break, then a chance, and feel good about your home town team - you may just enjoy Bruins hockey a bit - for no matter how much we think we're motivated to win - it's nothing compared to whats in the guys heads out there on the ice, including coaching, and even when they're down 1-0 to the NYR.

Old
09-28-2006, 08:35 AM
stick9

I didn't see the game but looking at the boxscore it doesn't sounds like this is much to gripe about. They lost 1-0 on the road. The Rangers were a good team last year and Lundvist was awesome.

As for Lewis. I like the hiring. I think he's an excellent coach.

Old
09-28-2006, 08:44 AM
Shinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
I wasn't happy about the result, specially because I had to order MSG specially for this game.

However I think you judge Lewis too early. He is still looking for the right combinations. It's still a preseason, and that's what preseason for.

I think that unfortunately Dave's look affects people's opinion about him.
You think the guys are all jealous of his good looks?

I've been very impressed with how Lewis has handled the pre-season. No gripes from me. And not that it matters diddly in the big picture, but he's a great interview and he knows how to use the media to praise players, which I like also.

Just because Sturm isn't with Bergy and Boyes now, doesn't mean he won't be at some point. I'm all for a coach who tinkers with things in the pre-season to see what works and what doesn't. One think I didn't like about Sully is that he seemed to get set on something and wouldn't change when it didn't work out (hello Leetch and Tanabe combo).

Need to see a whole bunch of regular season games before any of us pass judgment on the guy.

Old
09-28-2006, 08:50 AM
JMiller

I do like the way he's handled the preaseason so far, especially compared to Sullivan's hands off approach last year. They've given every player a good look to be evalueated, tried some different combinations, and are giving the lines a couple games to play with eachother before the puck drops for real. I've been impressed in how he's highlighted the positive (pointing out chara's block on the 5 on 3) and has been quick to address bad habits (certain lines seen doing push ups at practice and during on ice meetings). I really don't know much about the guy beyond what I've read, but he seems to be a bit more proactive and less tightly wound about his role and responsibilities as a head coach than Sullivan was (who by all accounts is a great guy and I thought a decent coach in his own right). It will take the team a while to gell because as Wally pointed out they are essentially an expansion team at this point,

Old
09-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Bojakees*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I didn't see the game but looking at the boxscore it doesn't sounds like this is much to gripe about. They lost 1-0 on the road. The Rangers were a good team last year and Lundvist was awesome.

Old
09-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Bojakees*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post

Whoa Nelly.....He did not win with the Wings and was let go because he was unable to motivate them enough. Last night with basicly our "real" team we were Outhit, Outhustled, and although we had more talent on the ice......It sure did not look that way cause they were outplayed.

Rags passed better and crisper, and if itwas not for Thomas the game could have been 4-5- nothing. Lunqvuist hardly broke a sweat and only had two tough saves.......Believe me.....Lewis is Far from an EXCELLENT coach. I believe the jury is out on weather he is even a good one.....

Old
09-28-2006, 09:13 AM
FutureConsiderations

Amidst all the positivity, there will always be naysayers.

It's a preseason game. Get over it.

Old
09-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Jesarino
Verified!

Send a message via ICQ to Jesarino Send a message via MSN to Jesarino Send a message via Yahoo to Jesarino
Quote:
I could be wrong but it seems to me the third and fourth lines played as much as the first two lines.......

This is what the preseason is all about. You already have an idea of what your roster players can do. You test out the guys that you're unsure on and put them in situations that they normally might not be in during the season, like longer shifts. It's a long season and injuries are bound to crop up. It's good to know whether a fourth line guy can handle the pressure and step up to the second for a few games.

Something like that is not a good reason at all to voice a dislike Lewis. Look around the league....any franchise that is not a joke is doing the same thing right now. On opening night it will change.

Old
09-28-2006, 10:06 AM
BubbaBoot

Allrightythen.....now that my fears have been confirmed after 1 preseason game, it's time to cut the deadweight and think about next year, eh?

Who's out there in the free agency market for 07/08?

Old
09-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

It's way too soon to be judging Lewis. The Bruins won a few games this preseason, lose by one goal last night in a 1-0 hockey game, and we're going to tar and feather Lewis?

Old
09-28-2006, 10:28 AM
neelynugs

i'm surprised it took this long for this post.

lewis has a mustache and probably would wear a mask (snicker) if he were playing in the NHL now. i bet he'll play the mary K's too much, never dress brookbank, and use tenkrap constantly.

Closed Thread