HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Fans that leave games during blowouts

Old
05-13-2013, 09:54 PM
KoekkoekPuffs
I'd eat 'em

vCash: 500
Fans that leave games during blowouts

I have never understood why anyone would just leave a live NHL game early just because their team is down. The Rangers/Caps game tonight had a bunch of empty seats and there were even a few unlucky souls that left the Leafs/Bruins game early .

But what's the motivation? Do some people give up on their team and lose all interest because of one poor showing? Is it a useless way to protest against your own team? Do they only find watching NHL hockey enjoyable when their team leads? I don't get it.

KoekkoekPuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:57 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
It's 5-0 late in the third. The end result is obvious. Why stay? You're also assuming it's only fans of the losing team that leave.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:57 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
You pay money to watch your team compete, not embarrass themselves and embarrass you for spending your hard earned money to watch them crap out on the ice.

At some point beating the traffic is better than continuing to watch your team play like ****. And no, that doesn't make those individuals any less of a fan.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:59 PM
Noel92

Some people may have had school/kids/work in the morning and don't want to spend time to watch their team aimlessly skate around.

Some people probably are interested in watching even if their team is down, but if my teams down 5-0 with 5 mins left, I honestly don't care anymore.

Noel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:01 PM
KoekkoekPuffs
I'd eat 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
It's 5-0 late in the third. The end result is obvious. Why stay? You're also assuming it's only fans of the losing team that leave.
So can I take this to mean you only watch hockey games in person to find out the final score? I personally go to games to enjoy the hockey and while losing sucks, I'd still enjoy watching my team play.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:03 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Everyone is different. Some people decide they would rather miss the traffic than stick around for the obvious result. Some people may have decided they get too worked up during a blowout, and they leave rather than get angered over a game that is supposed to bring enjoyment and entertainment.

I ask this - why is it unusual for folks to leave a source of entertainment when they are no longer entertained? Is it out of some arbitrary sense of loyalty that they are required to stay? If these same fans were going out and burning all of their gear, selling their season tickets and boycotting the team after a single blowout I would see the confusion, but simply leaving? Hell, I change the channel or walk out of the theater when I don't like a movie. I'm not being entertained, so I'm going to find a better use of my time.

Now, if you find more enjoyment out of remaining loyal to the bitter end, that's also fine.

We are all fans in different ways.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Being that I only go to a few games a year, I never leave early.

You never know when you'll see a comeback (like tonight) or something neat like a line brawl.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Rangers fan here. i never leave early no matter what the score is. i go to watch the Rangers win and to also have fun at the game.. hockey games are fun to go to.. chat with other fans well most of them know what they are talking about...its usually the fake fans, or if someone had an emergency or adults with children tend to leave early...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Soderberg

Some people don't want to have to leave at the same time as a bunch of drunk and angry fans.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:26 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoekkoekPuffs View Post
So can I take this to mean you only watch hockey games in person to find out the final score? I personally go to games to enjoy the hockey and while losing sucks, I'd still enjoy watching my team play.
Well aren't you the best fan in the world.

People watch games because they enjoy them. You just said it. Watching your team lose 5-0 in an elimination game isn't enjoyable. As the other poster said, beating the traffic is worth leaving early.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:27 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Fake fans? I always love when some fans get on their high horses and suddenly get to define what a fan really is.

pssst... it doesn't work that way. You don't get to tell someone they aren't really a fan because they act differently from you. Hell, if you got to do that then they would have just as much grounds to say you aren't a real fan for anything you do differently from them.

What do you mean to tell me you didn't park four miles away to take a long walk through the city sporting your colors? Shuttle? Really? Fake fans

Old
05-13-2013, 10:31 PM
longchange

Quote:
Even if they've stopped trying? Because then you're telling me that, even if your team is losing and phoning it in, you're fine with watching sitting around watching them not care anymore...which means you're basically a groupie.

Also, like someone mentioned, people have stuff to do in the morning. We were at the Bruins game and were seriously considering leaving at 4-1 because it is a long trip home from the Garden. I'm glad we decided to stay but now the morning is going to be a bit rough lol. Also, a guy and his daughter sitting beside us actually left when Boston scored to make it 4-3...now that was a bit weird I guess but she had school in the morning!

longchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:33 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

If you spent the money on the ticket, the parking, the food and drinks, etc, you get to leave when you please, and if someone wants to judge you based on that it's their problem, not yours.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:41 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

A lot of those people attend 40+ games per year. They put a huge amount of time and money into watching hockey games.

For those people, the games aren't so special that it seems like some kind of crime to get up and walk away b

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
Going to lose, might as well avoid even crazier traffic

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:47 PM
SeriousHabs

It depends.

Are their bars near the rink? If so, leaving early is totally justifiable.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:48 PM
KoekkoekPuffs
I'd eat 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
Well aren't you the best fan in the world.

People watch games because they enjoy them. You just said it. Watching your team lose 5-0 in an elimination game isn't enjoyable. As the other poster said, beating the traffic is worth leaving early.
I'm certainly not claiming to be some sort of superior fan to you; I just honestly don't see the motivation to leave a game you willingly paid to attend to see your favourite players (in most cases) play the sport you love. I'd stick around an elimination game every time. It's interesting in my opinion to stick around and see the handshake line, final moments, etc. I'm curious why saving maybe 10-15 minutes in the parking lot is worth losing the value of seeing NHL hockey in any capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longchange View Post
Even if they've stopped trying? Because then you're telling me that, even if your team is losing and phoning it in, you're fine with watching sitting around watching them not care anymore...which means you're basically a groupie.
Yes, I'd stay. For me, I enjoy everything at a game: the arena, coaches, atmosphere, players and most importantly the actual hockey. I wouldn't exactly call it being a groupie but I'd enjoy any chance to see my team in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
If you spent the money on the ticket, the parking, the food and drinks, etc, you get to leave when you please, and if someone wants to judge you based on that it's their problem, not yours.
I'm not judging; I just think it's rather counter-intuitive to drop a couple hundred bucks on a game, then leave without getting your full money's worth.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:57 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
It depends.

their their their there

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

I tend to stay too, but I had never thought to care or think about what others do. Doesn't bother me. Others reasons for leaving early are good reasons IMO, don't blame them one bit.

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Red Alberks

I leave early during blowouts because I go to about 99% of my teams games. There's no point in me staying the extra half-hour to continue to watch a crappy effort since I will just be back next game. In a sense, I'm not really missing anything if I leave early. I don't mean to sound arrogant, I just happen to have the privilege of going to all of the games. I don't think it makes me less of a fan to leave a game early.

Obviously people who go to fewer games will have a different perspective here.

I actually left game 4 of the Wild/Hawks series during the middle of the 3rd period when we were only down 2-0 haha.

Red Alberks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:
I have never understood why anyone would just leave a live NHL game early just because their team is down. The Rangers/Caps game tonight had a bunch of empty seats and there were even a few unlucky souls that left the Leafs/Bruins game early .

But what's the motivation? Do some people give up on their team and lose all interest because of one poor showing? Is it a useless way to protest against your own team? Do they only find watching NHL hockey enjoyable when their team leads? I don't get it.
Bandwagoners.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:11 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I'm certainly not claiming to be some sort of superior fan to you; I just honestly don't see the motivation to leave a game you willingly paid to attend to see your favourite players (in most cases) play the sport you love. I'd stick around an elimination game every time. It's interesting in my opinion to stick around and see the handshake line, final moments, etc. I'm curious why saving maybe 10-15 minutes in the parking lot is worth losing the value of seeing NHL hockey in any capacity.

Yes, I'd stay. For me, I enjoy everything at a game: the arena, coaches, atmosphere, players and most importantly the actual hockey. I wouldn't exactly call it being a groupie but I'd enjoy any chance to see my team in action.

I'm not judging; I just think it's rather counter-intuitive to drop a couple hundred bucks on a game, then leave without getting your full money's worth.
Who are you to decide when someone gets their money's worth? That, in and of itself, is a judgment that you have no business making, yet you feel as though you are entitled to make it.

The entire premise of this discussion is silly. It's a way to feel holier-than-thou, and it's nothing new.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:13 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
It depends.

When you leave a Predators game there are so many bars within walking distance you are nearly over the legal limit just by walking outside of the arena.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:15 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Yep, pretty much this. It's their money: how they spend it, is up to them. They can walk out in the middle of the game, or not go to the game at all. Their cash.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:19 AM
PAZ

Quote:

It's already been explained by our friendly mod.

It sounds to me you're a hockey fan first, and the team comes second. Sure, that's fine and dandy. The people you're wondering about rank their team first, and hockey second. So when the team starts getting blown out and theres 10 minutes left, the options are either sit there watching depressed and angry or leave 10 minutes early and beat the traffic.

I for one wouldn't wait around the last 10 minutes down 5 minutes with my team playing like ****, it's basically a punishment. Then watching the other team celebrate is just another slap in the face.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote