HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cullen

Old
09-27-2006, 06:44 PM
GRETZKY_99

vCash: 500
Cullen

What is the role of Cullen with the Rangers ? Is he worth the second or third line ? Where do you see him ply for the most part of the season ? Will he have opportunities to play on the PP with Jagr ?

GRETZKY_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:50 PM
TheRedressor

2nd line center between Prucha and Shanahan

maybe PP time on the point.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:52 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post

ditto that... he can be something special IMO

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Edge

I think he;s likely the second line center on the team.

Ideally I think he eventually shifts into a third line role in the future.

May even happen this season if Dubinsky makes his way towards the second line at some point.

Cullen I think is at his best when he can play behind two more offensivly gifted centers and play a solid two-way game on the third line. He can play up on the second line or occassionally even the first to change things up, but as for general play, is probably better suited for that third center spot.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStaal View Post
ditto that... he can be something special IMO
I think he's solid, but at the age of 30, I don't know if "special" is the word I'd use.

Old
09-27-2006, 09:04 PM
eco's bones

In the preseason games none of other possible candidates for the 2nd line have shown anywhere near his level of talent at this point. He's been real good. The question is over the 3rd line center--more than likely either Immonen or Dubinsky while Betts should be the 4th.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think he's solid, but at the age of 30, I don't know if "special" is the word I'd use.
maybe sleeper?

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Edge

See I don't think so.

I think Cullen was successful last year because Carolina gave him a role and accepted him for that role. They didn't raise the bar for him to be a 35 goal, 70 point center and I think ideally that's what we should hope for.

Cullen is very good at what he does in THAT role and that's why it worked for him. I worry that if we get away from that role/understanding/expectation we get away from what Cullen does best.

He might very well get 30 goals this year, MAYBE 60 points but I'll be perfectly okay if it's 20 goals and 45 points.

Not trying to discourage anyone on Cullen, just hoping we're reasonable with expectations for him.

Old
09-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Nick00

35 goals this season, he's going to surprise everyone.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Edge

And there goes the bar.

Old
09-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Nick00

Even though he's 30 I don't think he's reached his full potential yet.
He's been underestimated by coaches in the past, and because of it he's underestimated himself.
Instead of shying away from raising the bar and challenging Cullen to do more offensively I think the coaching staff should encourage him to use the great speed he has to put up some points.
He clearly has the tools to be a 35 goal scorer so why would we settle for less just because Carolina did?
Last year's playoff run has given Cullen new confidence.
This is his year.

Old
09-27-2006, 11:45 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post
Even though he's 30 I don't think he's reached his full potential yet.
He's been underestimated by coaches in the past, and because of it he's underestimated himself.
Instead of shying away from raising the bar and challenging Cullen to do more offensively I think the coaching staff should encourage him to use the great speed he has to put up some points.
He clearly has the tools to be a 35 goal scorer so why would we settle for less just because Carolina did?
Last year's playoff run has given Cullen new confidence.
This is his year.
Personally I see it as almost the exact opposite from watching him in Anaheim especially and Carolina.

I think Cullen, in his best seasons, responds when people accept him for what he is and what he excels at. Whenever the bar has been raised and people try to get him away from "his" game, is when the confusion and slides start.

When people see the speed and size and expects him to "put up points" it tends to have the opposite effect. When people appreciate him for his strengths and style, and plays him behind the guys responsible for the points, the difference is noticeable.

I think if anything last season showed Cullen what he needs to do to play his style of game and the role he can play and as such made him comfortable with being what he is.

30 isn't impossible (though might be pushing it). 35 just seems a bit much.

Old
09-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Hey, if we're talking about a borderline-2nd/ideally-3rd-line centre and scoring up to 30 goals this season, I'm very happy.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:53 AM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Personally I see it as almost the exact opposite from watching him in Anaheim especially and Carolina.

I think Cullen, in his best seasons, responds when people accept him for what he is and what he excels at. Whenever the bar has been raised and people try to get him away from "his" game, is when the confusion and slides start.

When people see the speed and size and expects him to "put up points" it tends to have the opposite effect. When people appreciate him for his strengths and style, and plays him behind the guys responsible for the points, the difference is noticeable.

I think if anything last season showed Cullen what he needs to do to play his style of game and the role he can play and as such made him comfortable with being what he is.

30 isn't impossible (though might be pushing it). 35 just seems a bit much.
Maybe, I mean I'm not saying the coaches should shove the number 30 in his face and say DELIVER.
But let's put him on the PP every night and see what he can do.
Whatever "the bar" may be, I still think he's going to be a real surprise offensively.

Old
09-28-2006, 04:57 AM
Taz

I must admit, i have been pleseantly suprized with his play in preseason. I think he can do well in the second line role with the line mates he has got. I'm expecting about 50 points from him maybe 55.

25 goals 35 Assists

Ideally i would prefer that Dubinsky takes the 2nd line roles by next season and Cullen slips to third.

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 06:48 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Goal totals shouldn't be a concern in regards to Cullen...20 to 25 should suffice. More importantly, he's has a 30 goal scorer to his left, and a 40 goal scorer to his right. He needs to make sure his linemates are getting quality scoring chances. If he does, the important stat for him will be his assist total. Anything under 40 will mean he didn't do his job.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 08:08 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post

"maybe" PP time?? you bet your *** hell be on the PP, either up front or on the back line almost every game.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 10:59 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

20-30 goals, 50-60 points... those numbers arent out of reach.

Another thing, he's the best frigging pointman we have right now.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Edge

And that's about right in line with where he should be.

I do think eventually he slides down to a third line role (if a younger guy like Dubinsky makes strides and works his way into the second line spot). But the strength of Cullen is that you can plug him in at a number of different locations.

Old
09-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Larry Melnyk

My thoughts on Cullen pretty much mirror those of Edge..ANd Kinda why I was really against his signing because I assumed it was as the 2nd C...Was never impressed with him before last year.....However, he has performed very well in camp and might have the properties of a 2nd lince C more then a 3rd line C.(for now)..Maybe something really did happen during the lockout year which lead to his top season for the Hurricanes...Other players and coaches have even noted the big change in his game, the more confident he is to use his speed and skill...Love to have my initial reaction proven wrong---again,. (Like Hossa, Sykora, Ozo...)

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote