HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skating backwards

Old
09-27-2006, 06:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Skating backwards

Now, this may sound silly, because I'm not a "beginner" at hockey, and overall I think my skating is pretty strong.

As long as I'm going forward, turning or doing anything that's not skating backwards.

Now, granted, I've gotten by for a long time because I'm good enough in other areas, and I'm primarily an offense-oriented right wing. I can skate backwards to an extent...but it's slow and awkward and more than once I've gone flat on my back in doing so. I'm inclined to believe that there's something I'm mechanically doing wrong to cause this, because it's the only element of skating I've ever had problems with. I've tried various things, different coaches have tried to help me...working on in-line skates on a slightly inclined surface did help a little...but I wondered if I could pick your brains for some pointers.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Gino 14

When I started skating, one of the guys that coaches the kids gave me one of the best tips I ever got. He told me that when I skate backwards, I need to pick a spot at the far end of the rink on the top of the dasher and keep my focus on that. It makes you keep your head up and puts your balance more in line with what it is when you skate forward. The other tip is too obvious, any time you can get on the ice, force yourself to practice backwards. I'll go down to the rink at 6:30 just to get open ice and will work on it.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Backward skating

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I can skate backwards to an extent...but it's slow and awkward and more than once I've gone flat on my back in doing so.

I'm inclined to believe that there's something I'm mechanically doing wrong to cause this, because it's the only element of skating I've ever had problems with.

I've tried various things, different coaches have tried to help me...working on in-line skates on a slightly inclined surface did help a little...but I wondered if I could pick your brains for some pointers.
Ahhhh, skating backward. One of my favorite things to teach.

First, you need to get into the so called "ready position." This position is like you are about to sit down on a chair with your feet at should width a part. One hand on your stick, the other in front, bent at the elbow like you are going to wave.

Second, When you start skating backwards, several things go into motion in order for you to move backwards.

1. Place your stick on the ice and stradle the stick by placing one skate on each side of the stick. Start with you skates towards the top of the stick where the stick blade is.

2. Start by placing your skates in a position like you are making a "Snow plow" stop. Or, inverted "V".

3. Shift all the weight to the right leg and with you left skate, make a "C" configuration on the ice with a little weight on the ball of your toes on the left skate.

4. Use the inter edge of the left skate and the ball of your toes to push or make the initial start to go backwards. Once you start moving backwards, shift the weight to the left skate and make an inverted "C" configuration on the ice with your right skate with the ball of your toes as well.

5. The stick on the ice is designed to help you keep that skate with the weight....straight.

As for cross over's, the rule of thumb is deep knee bend. The deeper the knee bend, the more balance you will have. This will allow you to bring that crossover skate over the other skate to plant.

Another good way to work on backward skating is to pull the net! It helps you balance and it forces you to use full extensions on the "C" cuts in the ice in order to pull the net.

Hope this helps
Head coach
http://www.passthepuck.net

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Puckboy

That is a great explanation. Make sure that you keep your head up. What I do with the kids is make them tell me how many fingers I am holding up. When they look down they fall forward. You also want to keep your chest up. This goes along with what was said about being in the ready position. Once agian I tell the kids that i should be able to see the crest on their shirts. As mentioned just practice it.

Puckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Orthodox Caveman

headcoach's advice is spot on. don't be afraid to fall, lets you know that your legs aren't wide enough and you are not in form. once you master it you can work on your speed etc,..

Orthodox Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesius87 View Post
headcoach's advice is spot on. don't be afraid to fall, lets you know that your legs aren't wide enough and you are not in form. once you master it you can work on your speed etc,..

Excellent advice. And when you do fall (trust me, it will happen when your first learning) don't do anything to try to prevent yourself from falling (like sticking your hands out).

Let your body roll into the fall, if you will. Of course, this works better on ice where once you do hit the ice (while playing ice hockey), you slide along as opposed to concrete (while playing in-line hockey) where you usually come to an abrupt stop.

Kenadyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 05:21 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesius87 View Post
Actually, I was going to steer nomorekids in the opposite direction. I just took a beginners' hockey course. Like nmk I could skate backwards but not very well. My instructor pointed out that my stance was too wide. My feet were always planted on the ice and each c-cut was tougher and slower to make. Bringing my feet closer together allowed me to make quicker strides and I'm better able to do crossovers because it's easier to get leg under me to support my weight.

The other point I'd emphasize is keeping your butt under your shoulders. Like Puckboy mentioned, if you lean forward you'll always be fighting the tendency to fall forward. Your navel is your center of gravity. Stay centered and you'll find it much easier to lift your feet off the ice -- all the better for stopping, turning or changing direction.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 09:18 PM
mac-sniper

Quote:
Now, this may sound silly, because I'm not a "beginner" at hockey, and overall I think my skating is pretty strong.

As long as I'm going forward, turning or doing anything that's not skating backwards.

Now, granted, I've gotten by for a long time because I'm good enough in other areas, and I'm primarily an offense-oriented right wing. I can skate backwards to an extent...but it's slow and awkward and more than once I've gone flat on my back in doing so. I'm inclined to believe that there's something I'm mechanically doing wrong to cause this, because it's the only element of skating I've ever had problems with. I've tried various things, different coaches have tried to help me...working on in-line skates on a slightly inclined surface did help a little...but I wondered if I could pick your brains for some pointers.

how the **** are you a strong skater but you cant skate backwards? BUSH. are u a winger? dont worry about it as much then.

mac-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 09:55 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-sniper View Post
how the **** are you a strong skater but you cant skate backwards? BUSH. are u a winger? dont worry about it as much then.
because i'm lightning fast, fairly agile, and can start and stop on a dime....all going FORWARD

I've been playing hockey most of my life, and I've always been a wing...so I've never really had a strong need to implement skating backward...i just want to add that element.

Old
09-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Orthodox Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
Actually, I was going to steer nomorekids in the opposite direction. I just took a beginners' hockey course. Like nmk I could skate backwards but not very well. My instructor pointed out that my stance was too wide. My feet were always planted on the ice and each c-cut was tougher and slower to make. Bringing my feet closer together allowed me to make quicker strides and I'm better able to do crossovers because it's easier to get leg under me to support my weight.

The other point I'd emphasize is keeping your butt under your shoulders. Like Puckboy mentioned, if you lean forward you'll always be fighting the tendency to fall forward. Your navel is your center of gravity. Stay centered and you'll find it much easier to lift your feet off the ice -- all the better for stopping, turning or changing direction.
yeah, my problem was the opposite, I wasn't getting my legs wide enough. I agree about having your rear square with the shoulders. skating backwards is essential.

Orthodox Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 06:20 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
because i'm lightning fast, fairly agile, and can start and stop on a dime....all going FORWARD

I've been playing hockey most of my life, and I've always been a wing...so I've never really had a strong need to implement skating backward...i just want to add that element.
I will gaurantee you that if you want to get better and spend a couple hours a week skating backwards, you will get better. I only started playing about 5 yrs. ago, but I can skate backwards better than 70% of the guys I play with only because I work at a couple times a week, and I'm mostly self taught. I worked on it over the summer on rollerblades, also. Just like skating forward, if you want to get better, you have to put in the time, no matter how good the tips.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 02:06 PM
CaptBrannigan

What headcoach said about pulling a net definitely helps. This was one of the best drills I did to learn backwards skating.

I was always told that if I was thinking about doing it, then I needed more practice. It took a while but I finally got to the point where it was automatic, I didn't think that would ever happen.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
We also do drills of pulling another person when you go.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 10:30 AM
MikeD

Ever do any dead lifting? Snatch or clean and jerk? You have to give a slight increase to the lumbar curve(lower back). Like head coach said about the "starting to sit down" position. Your kinda sticking you butt out. I also agree that feet being in a normal width is best for open backward skating but once your close the gap or about to make contact with an opponent the feet widen a bit for strngth and balance.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 09:10 PM
2x4*

Just practice. After playing defense for nearly my entire hockey career, I can skate as fast backwards as most forwards can forwards.

2x4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 08:31 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

Quote:

Man that's really strange, you're good going forwards but fall going backwards? ???

BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Biggsy

Just do to big half circles 1 on each side just practise that over and over again then try doin crossovers

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2006, 01:01 AM
nyrhockey00

focus on semi circles with each leg, that will keep you goin backwards, butt low, big semi circles, weight on the side of your feet and ur golden

nyrhockey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2006, 03:28 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONX_MADNESS View Post
Man that's really strange, you're good going forwards but fall going backwards? ???
how is it strange? skating backwards is something that should be practiced\learned as you're learning everything...but I just never focused on it, and it didn't come as naturally to me as other things did.

Old
10-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
how is it strange? skating backwards is something that should be practiced\learned as you're learning everything...but I just never focused on it, and it didn't come as naturally to me as other things did.
I hear ya. I'm a natural winger and this year got moved to defense. I can skate backwards, but it took a WHOLE lot of practice. Powerskating...is the devil, but it works.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2006, 01:05 PM
mooseOAK*

A former NHL player told me to squat like I was taking a crap in the woods while skating backwards.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2006, 01:25 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
A former NHL player told me to squat like I was taking a crap in the woods while skating backwards.
And watch out for the poison ivy! [passes out]

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Hey guys, I'm new to this site, and to skating, so I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this, kind of embarrassing, question. As I said, I'm new to skating, and while I don't fall at all, and seem to be a pretty decent skater, I can't stop at all. OK, get a good laugh out of that, but when you're done laughing can anyone give me some tips on stopping, please. I see guys skating really fast, and then stopping on a dime, and wonder how they do that. I skate at a decent pace, try to stop, and almost go face first to the ice. Anyways, thanks for any help you can give me.

Jim Schennson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarteRichards View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to this site, and to skating, so I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this, kind of embarrassing, question. As I said, I'm new to skating, and while I don't fall at all, and seem to be a pretty decent skater, I can't stop at all. OK, get a good laugh out of that, but when you're done laughing can anyone give me some tips on stopping, please. I see guys skating really fast, and then stopping on a dime, and wonder how they do that. I skate at a decent pace, try to stop, and almost go face first to the ice. Anyways, thanks for any help you can give me.
Ok, this is my next favorite thing to teach....Stopping!

So here goes. Stopping is like snow skiing. It has everything to do with shifting weight. So how do you shift weight? Pretty simple!

It has everything to do with shifting your weight from your legs to your chest and then shifting the weight back to your legs. Ok, so how do you do that?

Simple, it just a matter of doing a so called little bunny hop. Ah what, you say?

A Bunny hop! As you skate forward, and the position of your skates should be shoulder width apart or a little less, you do a little hop and that will transfers the weight from your legs to your chest. Make sure that your knees are bent in order to get that hop.

This bunny hop is just a matter of going from bent knees to standing straight up with a little hop and turning and going back to the bent knee position.

During that process, you turn one or both leg perpendicular to the direction you are going and then gradually transfer that weight from your chest, back to your skates. The fast you move that weight back down to your skates the faster you will stop.

Good Luck!
Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:00 AM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Ok, this is my next favorite thing to teach....Stopping!

So here goes. Stopping is like snow skiing. It has everything to do with shifting weight. So how do you shift weight? Pretty simple!

It has everything to do with shifting your weight from your legs to your chest and then shifting the weight back to your legs. Ok, so how do you do that?

Simple, it just a matter of doing a so called little bunny hop. Ah what, you say?

A Bunny hop! As you skate forward, and the position of your skates should be shoulder width apart or a little less, you do a little hop and that will transfers the weight from your legs to your chest. Make sure that your knees are bent in order to get that hop.

This bunny hop is just a matter of going from bent knees to standing straight up with a little hop and turning and going back to the bent knee position.

During that process, you turn one or both leg perpendicular to the direction you are going and then gradually transfer that weight from your chest, back to your skates. The fast you move that weight back down to your skates the faster you will stop.

Good Luck!
Head coach

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I'll have to try that approach out, as I think I understand it. I'm sure I'll land face first a few times, but that's the only way you learn, by trying.

Jim Schennson is offline   Reply With Quote