HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Sniping Viking Lionheart Hansen

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-22-2006, 02:36 PM
  #1
Victory Ali*
 
Victory Ali*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: North Korea
Posts: 5,878
vCash: 500
The Sniping Viking Lionheart Hansen

I'm starting this thread to talk about and hype my new favorite Canuck. In the early prospect scrimmage game Hansen scored the only goal. Last night Hansen scored the goal that got the game rolling for the Canucks. Known to be clutch in big games, known to be able to defend himself, and is slowly becoming a fan favorite. A ninth round pick out of Denmark. I give you The Sniping Viking Lionheart Hansen .

Discuss

Sidenote: I submit a name change for Hansen. I say we change Jannick to Lionheart because I'm watching Lionheart right now and I'm pretty sure Jean Claude Van Dam would be a ninth round pick too. Also... you know the whole Hansen's a bad *** thing.


Last edited by Victory Ali*: 09-22-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Victory Ali* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 02:41 PM
  #2
SedinFan*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 10,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Even when he was selected in the 9th round, I thought it was going to be one of the bigger sleeper picks in recent memory for the Canucks.

He'll definitely be an NHL in the future, the question is when, and will it be more of a depth guy, or a goal scorer....

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 11:29 PM
  #3
Victory Ali*
 
Victory Ali*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: North Korea
Posts: 5,878
vCash: 500
The Sniping Viking Lionheart Hanson scored again tonight He's scoring a goal in every game he plays including the original 1-0 scrimmage earlier in camp.

How'd he play? What were the impressions of him? I missed the game so I want to know everything. Details please!


Last edited by Victory Ali*: 09-27-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Victory Ali* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 11:58 PM
  #4
Riven
Registered User
 
Riven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Westminster
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 500
"He'll definitely be an NHL in the future, the question is when, and will it be more of a depth guy, or a goal scorer...."

One of the aspects I like about Hansen is that he could break into the NHL as a third or fourth line grinder, even though his eventual upside is a first or second line winger. His grit makes it much easier to bring him into the lineup in a limited way while he adjusts to the big league. I would love to see him get 5-10 games this year on a callup basis.

Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:01 AM
  #5
Riven
Registered User
 
Riven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Westminster
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 500
"The Sniping Viking Lionheart Hanson"

By the way SCF, not trying to be nasty here, but you might want to correct the spelling on your "new favourite" Canuck. I believe it's Hansen, not Hanson.

Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:05 AM
  #6
Jyrki21
BenningIsAnInsideJob
 
Jyrki21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Lesotho
Posts: 5,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCanucksFan View Post
Sidenote: I submit a name change for Hansen. I say we change Jannick to Lionheart because I'm watching Lionheart right now and I'm pretty sure Jean Claude Van Dam would be a ninth round pick too. Also... you know the whole Hansen's a bad *** thing.
Actually, Van Damme played an important role for the Pittsburgh Penguins when he played goal for them during the 1995 Cup Finals against Chicago.




Oh wait a second, that was that crappy movie Sudden Death, not real life. My mistake.

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:57 AM
  #7
windflare
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCanucksFan View Post
The Sniping Viking Lionheart Hanson scored again tonight He's scoring a goal in every game he plays including the original 1-0 scrimmage earlier in camp.

How'd he play? What were the impressions of him? I missed the game so I want to know everything. Details please!
You know what? I didn't realize that. That IS pretty awesome.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:14 AM
  #8
sticknrink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,728
vCash: 500
Hansen for Calder !!

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:21 AM
  #9
Whingman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Attack View Post
Even when he was selected in the 9th round, I thought it was going to be one of the bigger sleeper picks in recent memory for the Canucks.

He'll definitely be an NHL in the future, the question is when, and will it be more of a depth guy, or a goal scorer....
I can't find any info on it anymore, but for some reason i think i recall hearign somewhere when we drafted hansen that he was ranked 70th or something like that by some scouting service, any oen know what I am talking about? or am I just imagining things?

Although he didn't score a goal against San Jose last night, hes good and all but a shut-out still means no goals.

Whingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:40 AM
  #10
Victory Ali*
 
Victory Ali*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: North Korea
Posts: 5,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whingman View Post
I can't find any info on it anymore, but for some reason i think i recall hearign somewhere when we drafted hansen that he was ranked 70th or something like that by some scouting service, any oen know what I am talking about? or am I just imagining things?

Although he didn't score a goal against San Jose last night, hes good and all but a shut-out still means no goals.
I know it's pre-season and all...

I missed last night's game and didn't know he played so if he did and didn't score my mistake.

So his upside is anywhere from gritty fourth liner to skill first liner? That's quite a range. I wish there was more info about this kid out there. I've been searching and searching but have been coming up empty. I'd also appreciate seeing some photos of him in action.

You know with the way people are describing him, he sounds a lot like a power forward in the Brendan Shanahan mold. Now I'm not even suggesting that Lionheart Hansen is anywhere near that skill level but so far it sounds like that could be his potential upside. I was really quite skeptical about this kid though, with all the reports we've heard I didn't think his game would translate well to the NHL or that he'd be able to adapt to the pro game so fast. I really didn't think he'd be able to be as physical and as skilled as the reports have indicted. I'd really be interested to hear more about his physical game. But so far so good, I'm digging this kid.

By the way, I say put him in the AHL for a year and let him hone his scoring and top line skills rather than rush him and risk snuffing out that potential in favor of his physical game.

Victory Ali* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:44 AM
  #11
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner
 
hockeyfan125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,019
vCash: 500
I posted this a while ago..

but I was at a Giants/Hawks game last year and I noticed this guy scribbling notes next to me and he was a scout for another 'dub team (I just asked if he was a scout perchance ). I asked him about Hansen and he quickly replied that Hansen was one of the most NHL-ready Euro's he had seen in a while (he mentioned Andrej Meszaros right after this as well).

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:23 AM
  #12
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,342
vCash: 500
Lionheart Hansen, love it!

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:51 AM
  #13
Shane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whingman View Post
I can't find any info on it anymore, but for some reason i think i recall hearign somewhere when we drafted hansen that he was ranked 70th or something like that by some scouting service, any oen know what I am talking about? or am I just imagining things?

Although he didn't score a goal against San Jose last night, hes good and all but a shut-out still means no goals.
Yeah, I remember reading something about that as well. He was ranked higher than the ninth round, but teams passed on him because they didn't think he was willing to come to North America.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:57 AM
  #14
windflare
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Frank View Post
Yeah, I remember reading something about that as well. He was ranked higher than the ninth round, but teams passed on him because they didn't think he was willing to come to North America.
From what I read, they were questioning his stats and whether they were inflated because he was playing in a 'lesser league'. I.e. the Danish League.

Guess they weren't quite that bad, eh?

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 03:25 AM
  #15
Dr. Nucksfan
Registered User
 
Dr. Nucksfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
From what I read, they were questioning his stats and whether they were inflated because he was playing in a 'lesser league'. I.e. the Danish League.

Guess they weren't quite that bad, eh?
The Danes played in the A tourney last spring at the Worlds, for the first time. And they survived (I THINK at the expense of someone like Austria or Italy). Pretty good for an up and coming hockey nation, where there's what? 5 rinks or something goofy like that.

Hansen was probably overlooked by many teams because scouts like to pick players from known hockey leagues and nations. Remember when it was unheard of to have a Swiss player? (Actually, as a 40 year old, I recall the days when Swedes were rare. Borje Salming helped change that. He was tough and needed to be.) Well, now the German and Swiss leagues are alright.

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 05:03 AM
  #16
kenito
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Aalborg
Country: Denmark
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nucksfan View Post
The Danes played in the A tourney last spring at the Worlds, for the first time. And they survived (I THINK at the expense of someone like Austria or Italy). Pretty good for an up and coming hockey nation, where there's what? 5 rinks or something goofy like that.

Hansen was probably overlooked by many teams because scouts like to pick players from known hockey leagues and nations. Remember when it was unheard of to have a Swiss player? (Actually, as a 40 year old, I recall the days when Swedes were rare. Borje Salming helped change that. He was tough and needed to be.) Well, now the German and Swiss leagues are alright.
actually Denmark have been in the A group for the last three years. Go hansen

kenito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 08:51 AM
  #17
west in the east
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Id like to see the kid get a few big league games to start the season. If he adjusts well, keep him up.

west in the east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 09:07 AM
  #18
Spetznaz75
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Jannik Hansen, a little info

A little Info on Jannik Hansen, from a Dane.

Jannik Hansen started his career in Rødovre, Denmark. He broke into the Dansih Elite League in 2003. It was quite obvious that J. Hansen possessed a good shot, netting 12 times in 35 games (he was only 18 back then). The year after he produced 17 goals in 35 games. He was back then a physical player/power forward taken his "small'ish" size in consideration. A very talented forward for Danish measures. Jannik Hansen chose to keep on playing in DK, as he would presumably log a lot of icetime in DK, both in PP and PK. Normally talented Danish players move to Sweden and play in the strong Swedish junior tournament, Hansen never did. Although some Swedish teams were interested in signing him. This could be the reason why he was selected late in draft (ninth round). Had he played in Sweden, I recon he would have been selected a bit earlier.

J. Hansen has played two WC pool A torunaments for DK. The first wasn't a succes, as he got injured in the first game of the torunament (hard check to the boards). The second (this year, 2006) was a succes. He was a physical threat, played nice and "gritty" and scored a beaty against Kazakstan (huge wristshot). After a year in the WHL, he looked really good in the WC, both physical as well as on the offence.

The question could then be, how will Hansen develop over the coming years? Is he gonna develop into a typical third or fourth liner in the NHL and become a grinder/physical threat, or will he play one or two years in the AHL to improve his offensive skills and become a regular goal scorer in the NHL? Since I haven't seen him play in the WHL it is impossible for me to say, but personally I hope he will make the NHL in some time (only the second player in DK history to do so if it happens, first player was Poul Peter Popiel).

A little info about Danish hockey.

There are 18 rinks in DK and roughly around 1000 active players all in all.

Other Danish prospects include Frans Nielsen (Islanders), Kiril Starkov (Columbus BJ).
Kim Staal, 28, was a part of the Predators camp this season, but didn't make the team.

Hope Jannik "Lionheart" Hansen will do fine the coming season

Any question, feel free to mail me.

Spetznaz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:44 AM
  #19
Nick_Papagiorgio
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whingman View Post
Although he didn't score a goal against San Jose last night, hes good and all but a shut-out still means no goals.
He only played 9 shifts for a total icetime of 5:46 in that game. No wonder he didn't score. I think that shouldn't take away from the fact that he's scored a goal in each pre-season game in which he was given decent minutes.

It's too bad that Hansen only seems to get his due praise and respect in forums such as this one. This morning's Vancouver Sun seemed to make a point of praising Burrows and Kesler at the exclusion of Hansen (see http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...-dc8ead72dc0e). Is it not possible that the line clicked because of the contributions of all three players? Hansen played a great game, scored 1G 1A, had 5 shots (4 on net), and yet the Sun only mentions Hansen's goal as coming "with three seconds left" (note the dismissive subtext here http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...9a23a19a2&p=2).

Hopefully the game summary on Canucks.com (http://www.canucks.com/news/recaps.a...onID=30&id=623) was written by some "volunteer" because it claims Hansen scored his "first goal" of the pre-season last night against Edmonton (it also repeatedly makes the classic Kessler[sic] misspelling). I guess I shouldn't be surprised--it's Canucks.com afterall.

Still, it makes this thread all the more appreciated. Thanks SCF, I suggested a Jannik Hansen thread a while back. Glad you could make it happen.

Nick_Papagiorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:52 AM
  #20
Nick_Papagiorgio
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Papagiorgio View Post
Hopefully the game summary on Canucks.com (http://www.canucks.com/news/recaps.a...onID=30&id=623) was written by some "volunteer" because it claims Hansen scored his "first goal" of the pre-season last night against Edmonton (it also repeatedly makes the classic Kessler[sic] misspelling). I guess I shouldn't be surprised--it's Canucks.com afterall.
I just checked back and they fixed the article. Now it correctly credits Hansen with his "second goal" of the pre-season. Hasn't fixed Kessler[sic] yet...

Sorry about the Vancouver Sun links not working. I'll try and fix them

Nick_Papagiorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:53 AM
  #21
Tb0ne
Registered User
 
Tb0ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,395
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
Thanks for the info Spetznaz75.

There seems to be quite a few Danish players playing in North American this season (has to be some sort of record?):

-Jannik Hansen (Will probably be assigned to the Manitoba Moose)
-Frans Nielsen (Will probably be assigned to the Bridgeport AHL)
-Kim Staal (I might be mistaken but he was assigned to Nashville's farm team?, aparantly he played quite well in the preseason)
-Morten Madsen (Playing for Victoriaville in the QMJHL, has 11 P in 4 games)
-Kirill Starkov (Playing for Red Deer in the WHL, has 5 P in 3 games)

Question, what is the deal with Peter Regin, is he still considered the better player over Jannik Hansen? and if you had to guess do you think he'll ever come to North America. Just curious because I was suprised he hasn't tried to come over yet.

http://www.internationalhockeygang.o...ead.php?t=2354

After reading that thread, it appears the best of Danish hockey is yet to come.
Also can you tell us anymore about Danish prospects in coming drafts?

Tb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:53 AM
  #22
Jake
Registered User
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oxford, UK
Country: Denmark
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
I posted a translation of an interview with Jannik Hansen a while back, found here.

I've also wiki'ed a short bio of him here.


Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:58 AM
  #23
Nick_Papagiorgio
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
I can't fix those invalid URLs. Sorry. You should be able to read the articles at http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...rts/index.html

Nick_Papagiorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:00 PM
  #24
galiano
Registered User
 
galiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: why do you ask ?
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetznaz75 View Post
A little Info on Jannik Hansen, from a Dane.

Jannik Hansen started his career in Rødovre, Denmark. He broke into the Dansih Elite League in 2003. It was quite obvious that J. Hansen possessed a good shot, netting 12 times in 35 games (he was only 18 back then). The year after he produced 17 goals in 35 games. He was back then a physical player/power forward taken his "small'ish" size in consideration. A very talented forward for Danish measures. Jannik Hansen chose to keep on playing in DK, as he would presumably log a lot of icetime in DK, both in PP and PK. Normally talented Danish players move to Sweden and play in the strong Swedish junior tournament, Hansen never did. Although some Swedish teams were interested in signing him. This could be the reason why he was selected late in draft (ninth round). Had he played in Sweden, I recon he would have been selected a bit earlier.

J. Hansen has played two WC pool A torunaments for DK. The first wasn't a succes, as he got injured in the first game of the torunament (hard check to the boards). The second (this year, 2006) was a succes. He was a physical threat, played nice and "gritty" and scored a beaty against Kazakstan (huge wristshot). After a year in the WHL, he looked really good in the WC, both physical as well as on the offence.

The question could then be, how will Hansen develop over the coming years? Is he gonna develop into a typical third or fourth liner in the NHL and become a grinder/physical threat, or will he play one or two years in the AHL to improve his offensive skills and become a regular goal scorer in the NHL? Since I haven't seen him play in the WHL it is impossible for me to say, but personally I hope he will make the NHL in some time (only the second player in DK history to do so if it happens, first player was Poul Peter Popiel).

A little info about Danish hockey.

There are 18 rinks in DK and roughly around 1000 active players all in all.

Other Danish prospects include Frans Nielsen (Islanders), Kiril Starkov (Columbus BJ).
Kim Staal, 28, was a part of the Predators camp this season, but didn't make the team.

Hope Jannik "Lionheart" Hansen will do fine the coming season

Any question, feel free to mail me.

Great report ! Very nice to hear from someone who knows this much about one of our Euro prospects. We are all cheering for the underdog from Denmark.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:04 PM
  #25
Jake
Registered User
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oxford, UK
Country: Denmark
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
Question, what is the deal with Peter Regin, is he still considered the better player over Jannik Hansen? and if you had to guess do you think he'll ever come to North America. Just curious because I was suprised he hasn't tried to come over yet.
Depends on who you ask. At this years Worlds, Regin did play better than Hansen, I think. But that being said, Regin played in the senior Elitleague in Sweden last year, and I don't think he played any junior games at all. Hansen, however, played junior all year in North America, and didn't get to attend Team Denmark's camps during the year (they have quite a lot of icetime together before the Worlds), and perhaps most importantly, was just getting used to more physical play. Regins play is more finessed and speedy, while Hansen plays more gritty, and were used more as a checking forward than a scoring forward.

As to why Regin is not coming over, he's playing on the top lines in Timraa in the Elitleague of Sweden - I guess he thinks that's just as good as playing in the AHL / Juniors.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.