HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LVIII - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
I said the Leafs will learn something. Obviously, it was too much to ask for coming from Gauthier to analyse, and come to such things as conclusions.
Leafs management then? 1st round loss is 1st round loss. I wonder which management team will be more inclined to make key adjustments.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:45 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Leafs management then? 1st round loss is 1st round loss. I wonder which management team will be more inclined to make key adjustments.
The more playoffs game, the most dramatic, the more you learn. Ask Bruins fans what they think of their collapse back in 2010 now that they got a cup the very following year. What these guys learned there is very, very valuable.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:46 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Reading the posts of this thread back... wow... who the hell do you guys think you are?

Our favorite team lost in 5 games, including 2 blowouts, against the 7th ranked team in the East, as the 2nd seed with home ice advantage, in a series most saw us winning.

Yeah. The Leafs might have gave up a 3 goals lead in a particular game, but they made it to game 7 and matched the Bruins' physicality for most of the series, all that while being the quickest team.

So yeah. Quit laughing about the Leafs. We're no better and at least, they can be proud enough to say they pushed this series to the very end.

They'll learn from it. That's for sure. I'm still not convinced after hearing Bergevin's comments that we will learn from our own shortcomings.

It's a sad time to be a Habs fan if all we have to get so euphoric about is the loss of a team who, I repeat, played 2 more games than us this year AND finished ahead of us last year, for all what it's worth.
Sens were crippled with injuries all year long, Spezza, Anderson, Karlsson etc. They played extremely well to get a PO spot considering their lineup and they got healthy at the right time, they also dominated the Bruins in their last game of the season, a game that if the Bruins had won they would cliched the NE division title.

I'm not making the case that the leafs just totally suck.

But you're clearly overstating the facts when you say the leafs beat us last year and that they played 2 games more than us... imho I think we would of been able to take Boston to 7 or even win in 6. Besides we literally got robbed by the officiating in game 5 and we can attribute most of our bad performance in the PO to bad goaltending and an amazing performance by perhaps the best goalie in the world right now... Anderson vs Lundqvist, Anderson clearly had the upper hand in the regular season.

Sure we need to get bigger and all but we still were able to get to 2nd place with players like Gionta, DD and Bouillon. So I don't know what you mean by 'our shortcomings' what shortcomings are you referring to? We went from dead last in the east to 4th overall in the league all of our depth is in players less than 25 years old including Price. I hate this pessimistic kind of discourse from habs fans who just don't realize that hockey only works on a long-term basis and that short-term results don't really matter in the end.

The leafs don't suck but this choke is totally laughable and I personally hate the leafs for wanting to turn the NHL into another dead puck goon era by fallowing Boston's example.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:48 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Reading the posts of this thread back... wow... who the hell do you guys think you are?

Our favorite team lost in 5 games, including 2 blowouts, against the 7th ranked team in the East, as the 2nd seed with home ice advantage, in a series most saw us winning.

Yeah. The Leafs might have gave up a 3 goals lead in a particular game, but they made it to game 7 and matched the Bruins' physicality for most of the series, all that while being the quickest team.

So yeah. Quit laughing about the Leafs. We're no better and at least, they can be proud enough to say they pushed this series to the very end.

They'll learn from it. That's for sure. I'm still not convinced after hearing Bergevin's comments that we will learn from our own shortcomings.

It's a sad time to be a Habs fan if all we have to get so euphoric about is the loss of a team who, I repeat, played 2 more games than us this year AND finished ahead of us last year, for all what it's worth.
This year's Leafs were an illusion. They are a terrible team. Halfway through the 3rd period tonight was their high water mark. Next year they won't even get a sniff off the playoffs. Oh yeah, and after all was said and done, we still won more games than they did this year, even with their crazy, unsustainable shooting %.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Not possible.

And dude, look at the context here... How many times have the Leafs lost in spectacular fashion? How many times has it looked like they've been in the playoffs only to choke down the line? And now they finally make it in - AFTER A DECADE - in a shortened season and they come out with the biggest choke in game 7 history?

I don't care how you slice it. Whether you like the Leafs or hate them, what happened tonight is absolutely hilarious.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:14 AM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

The Leafs couldn't have left the playoffs in a worst way.

... Which is a good thing - like seeing the Laffs suffer. Not that the Habs' series was better, but at least we didn't lose in such a fashion.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:20 AM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
The Leafs couldn't have left the playoffs in a worst way.

... Which is a good thing - like seeing the Laffs suffer. Not that the Habs' series was better, but at least we didn't lose in such a fashion.
Ours was worse , we limped into game 5 and got demolished while Toronto was able to push Boston to 7 and nearly succeeded.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:24 AM
jedimyrmidon

I would have liked to have seen a playoff series with no aura of insanity about it.

For the Habs, that was right off the bat in Game 1 with Eller lying at centre ice in a pool of his own blood, Gionta tearing a bicep and Pacs separating his shoulder. The subsequent games were played off of emotions and bad feelings instead of tight playoff hockey. I don't think we saw the true team because of the mess right off the start.

The Leafs-Bruins series was pretty tame until the last game, Game 7 where there were questionable calls on the ice, and things were getting heated. I was hoping that it would be that way from Game 1, but, as it often happens, the series that are predicted to be the most heated are often the most normal, and the ones that are supposed to be normal end up going downhill (for one of the teams anyways).

Old
05-14-2013, 01:25 AM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
This year's Leafs were an illusion. They are a terrible team. Halfway through the 3rd period tonight was their high water mark. Next year they won't even get a sniff off the playoffs. Oh yeah, and after all was said and done, we still won more games than they did this year, even with their crazy, unsustainable shooting %.
Most people would call a team winning their division on goal difference and losing to an injury depleted 7th team in 5 games while getting humiliated as far more of an illusion. Leafs earned their stripes this season and are only going to get better. This years version of the Habs would of lost in 4 straight to Boston.

Last edited by MoeMoney: 05-14-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old
05-14-2013, 01:26 AM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avim86 View Post
Ours was worse , we limped into game 5 and got demolished while Toronto was able to push Boston to 7 and nearly succeeded.
The Habs literally limped into Game 5 with half the team (and important players) having suffered some form of major injury.

Toronto was fully healthy except for Bozak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
Most people would call a team winning their division on goal difference and losing to an injury depleted 7th team in 5 games while getting humiliated as far more of an illusion. Leafs earned their striped this season and are only going to get better. This years version of the Habs would of lost in 4 straight to Boston.
Ha, wishful thinking on your part.

Didn't you know? The Sens had everyone back except for Spezza (who is obvious a key player). They weren't missing Karlsson, Anderson or Michalek in the playoffs. They were also the best defensive team in the league (fewest GA and the #1 PK - yes, better than the Leafs PK weapon), which as you may (or may not) know is KEY in the playoffs where everything is tighter. And look at how the Habs played Boston during this season: how could predict that they would get swept?

Oh, trying to discredit the Habs winning the NE? Well, the Habs sure gave the Bruins every chance to take it, but they didn't so it's not like you can blame the Habs for taking what they so obviously didn't deserve.

Last edited by jedimyrmidon: 05-14-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old
05-14-2013, 01:26 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
I think the way Toronto lost hurt much much more, it's not even comparable. Pretty sure some players and some fans were already thinking how they will celebrate with 10 minutes left in the game. Now, they have to pack the bags and go home.

Yes, they nearly succeeded, which makes it a lot harder to swallow. I rather lose in 5 than lose after an epic collapse in game 7.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:30 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Most people would call a team winning their division on goal difference and losing to an injury depleted 7th team in 5 games while getting humiliated as far more of an illusion. Leafs earned their striped this season and are only going to get better. This years version of the Habs would of lost in 4 straight to Boston.
Lol yea right, we beat Boston 3-1 this year.

Injury depleted 7th seed? They were only missing Spezza.

If Anderson let out rebounds like Reimer our series would have gone 7 games.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:32 AM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
I actually kinda wish the Boston crowd started chanting "Thank you, Kessel!" after the game was over. That would've been hilarious in an insanely jerkish way.
Wouldn't of made sense either, Kessel was the man all series long, and Seguin still had zero goals.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:32 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Yeah except that we won the season series against them... but whatever bro. If you feel better thinking that, knock yourself out.

Also, Sens were not an injury depleted team... What the hell are you talking about?

Old
05-14-2013, 01:35 AM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
I think the way Toronto lost hurt much much more, it's not even comparable. Pretty sure some players and some fans were already thinking how they will celebrate with 10 minutes left in the game. Now, they have to pack the bags and go home.

Yes, they nearly succeeded, which makes it a lot harder to swallow. I rather lose in 5 than lose after an epic collapse in game 7.
I disagree that one game negates the whole series experience although very true that it must have been devastating after leading the game 4-1 going into 3rd. I'd rather my team go down fighting even in this terrible way then get destroyed 6-1 twice and lose games we should be winning while bowing out in 5. I'd much rather be watching game 7 (Win or Lose) in Montreal then dreaming of 2013-2014 and 4 months of complete boredom (except for draft).

Old
05-14-2013, 01:39 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
I disagree that one game negates the whole series experience although very true that it must have been devastating after leading game 4-1 in 3rd. I'd rather my team go down fighting even in this terrible way then get destroyed 6-1 twice and lose games we should be winning while bowing out in 5. I'd much rather be watching game 7 in Montreal then dreaming of 2013-2014.
The results are still the same. One will be fast forgotten, the other one will make history of one of the most epic collapse in sports.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
6-1 in game 5 was a bigger choke job, what was the excuse?
Never had the lead and got eliminated, versus lost a 3 goal lead with 10 minutes left in game 7. Yeah, um... the Leafs choke job? Way. More. Epic.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Avim86

Quote:
The results are still the same. One will be fast forgotten, the other one will make history of one of the most epic collapse in sports.
Results are not all that matter , it's the character built from Toronto not letting down at 3-1 and regrouping to force game 7 and nearly win said game. You can look at results all you want but Toronto will be better moving forward from this experience , can't really say the same for the Habs except for maybe Galchenyuk/Gallagher/Subban.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:44 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
LOL at season series. The Habs team that played against OTT was the poorest in the first round next to Vancouver. And LOL at the Sens not being an injury depleted team, Habs fans are something else aren't they.
Do you even know what depleted mean? Except from Spezza, who were injured to be called a depleted team?

We lost the series because Anderson won the battle against Price, simple as that. Our team played a lot better than the Sens but we still lost, like you guys but you guys made history though, so congrats for that.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:46 AM
Avim86

Quote:
Do you even know what depleted mean? Except from Spezza, who were injured to be called a depleted team?

We lost the series because Anderson won the battle against Price, simple as that. Our team played a lot better than the Sens but we still lost, like you guys but you guys made history though, so congrats for that.
I agree with your facts but no excuses it's our freakin team modo.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:49 AM
elsubz

Is there a Leaf fan trying to moral us after that legendary game 7 choke job?

Old
05-14-2013, 01:52 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Results are not all that matter , it's the character built from Toronto not letting down at 3-1 and regrouping to force game 7 and nearly win said game. You can look at results all you want but Toronto will be better moving forward from this experience , can't really say the same for the Habs except for maybe Galchenyuk/Gallagher/Subban.
In this case, results are what matters. They lost in the first round just like us. We played well but got beaten by an excellent goalie... and with a injury depleted line up. I think we can be proud of the effort our team gave in the series. Don't act like clueless Leafs fans and think we did not give a battle out there.

Nobody will remember the Lefs coming back from 3-1. They won 2 games in a row, big deal! What people will remember and what the Leafs players and fans will remember is the collapse with 10 minutes left in the game.

I think you're giving too much credit for the Leafs here. I never felt the Bruins played with a lot of urgency in the whole series and when they decided to play, the Leafs couldn't keep up.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:02 AM
JuJu Mobb

So you waited 9 years for this?

Old
05-14-2013, 02:03 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Yup, those 2 wins will make the Leafs into a contender next season. Well, that or Kadri, Bozak and Lupul will shoot 12%, the Reimer/Scrivens tandom will save 91% and the Leafs will miss the playoffs. Whichever strikes you as the more logical prediction.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:12 AM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Yup, those 2 wins will definitely make the Leafs into a contender next season. Well, that or Kadri, Bozak and Lupul will shoot 12%, the Reimer/Scrivens tandom will save 91% and the Leafs will miss the playoffs. Whichever strikes you as more logical.
Habs have nothing but question marks going into next season , it doesn't make us look good to compare our defeats like some kind of moral victory. The point I was making was very simple I'd much rather be watching game 7 hockey right now and be losing then going down the way we did. I also believe that winning 2 games when down 3-1 is not an easy task to do and does build important character maybe not some emotional catalyst but still important enough to give momentum going into the upcoming season.
Will one of our rookies sophomore slump? Will our GM fill out our top 4 D with a proven talent? Will Price take the next step in his career and resolve his consistency issues?
Will DD regain form? Will Eller be the same player he was before the game 1 incident (I can't wait to see him play with confidence next season to eliminate this doubt in my mind). Habs had a hot streak when many teams were having a hard time finding their footing early on , we were saved by a shortened season which allowed us to finish 2nd (let's not act like the way we were playing near the end was anything but abysmal). It's very simple I'm no Leafs fan nor am I unrealistic but I believe if the tables were turned Habs fan would be singing another story and would be content of the game 7 appearance and mock the Leafs fans for bowing out in 5.

Closed Thread