HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League #5: 2013 Play-offs Edition!: Nucks fire AV, AVs hire Roy

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 12:45 AM
iCanada

vCash: 400
Lol.

The leafs lost.

o.o

I turned game off all excited that the Oilers could potentially pillage a choking bruins team for toughness. Kind of disappointing.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:49 AM
OILSLICK94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
Loved that Boston Toronto game. Loved it! I'm done now. Summer has started for me.

Vancouver out. Toronto out. Minny out. Ducks out.

You forgot to add, the HABS.....but yes indeed, great 1st rd.
Canucks = CHECK
Leafs = CHECK
Habs = CHECK
Wild = CHECK
Ducks = CHECK

Old
05-14-2013, 12:50 AM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
The Bruins did the entire country a favour for the 2nd time in three years. Can you imagine the media lovefest if the Leafs managed to win? We would never hear the end of it.

While it's still entirely possible that we might not hear the end of it, it's certainly much more bearable.

Schadenfreude baby.
THANK GOD!!!

Old
05-14-2013, 12:53 AM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
They still haven't won a playoff series since 2004.
and they haven't won a CUP since 1967, (longest drout in the NHL) all those yappy leafs on twitter haven't even witnessed there team in the stanley cup finals in there life time....

I for one, have witnessed several as an Oiler Fan, and 5 Stanley Cups.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:25 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Maybe... a miracoulous come back doesn't mask that Toronto took them to 7 games and vastly outplayed them for some significant portions.

The Bruins tonight are the luckiest team in the league that they escaped this round. In all honesty they didn't deserve it. I think they can beat the Rangers though... The Pens will be tough.
It doesn't really matter who comes out of the East. If anything, this first round showed just how inconsistent and weak the Eastern teams are. They will likely be demolished by their Western counterpart in the SCF.

The Pens are the Hawks of the East, but the Hawks are better.

The Bruins are the Kings of the East, but the Kings are better.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
05-14-2013, 01:53 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
It doesn't really matter who comes out of the East. If anything, this first round showed just how inconsistent and weak the Eastern teams are. They will likely be demolished by their Western counterpart in the SCF.

I tend to agree. But I would actually love to see a series between any of those 4 teams. Hopefully we see it happen this year.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:09 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Seguin was a complete no show. He's really lucky he plays on the Bruins or he would be labeled as a playoff choker.
He's a soft perimeter player, one of the reasons so many of us were so bullish on drafting Hall over the "big, right handed center".

He'll always be a support player in the playoffs until he adds some grit, which is unlikely at this point considering he's been afraid of physical contact dating right back to his junior days

Old
05-14-2013, 02:44 AM
Del Preston

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Seguin was a complete no show. He's really lucky he plays on the Bruins or he would be labeled as a playoff choker.
If you watch the highlights on NHL.com they say he was only on the ice because Jagr was in the tunnel. Funny how stuff like that works out.

Aside from that last shift, Seguin did next to nothing this series. He has the speed to go wide and drive the net but it seems like 90% of the time he skates down the wing and shoots as soon as he crosses the blue line. 0 goals on 29 shots in the seven games.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:44 AM
Black Gold Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
He's a soft perimeter player, one of the reasons so many of us were so bullish on drafting Hall over the "big, right handed center".

He'll always be a support player in the playoffs until he adds some grit, which is unlikely at this point considering he's been afraid of physical contact dating right back to his junior days
The fact that the Bruins are so deep means that Seguin might never really be challenged to improve drastically. I remember a Jason Gregor interview with Weight (right after he retired) where he said that part of the reason why he excelled in Edmonton was because the Oilers always needed more from him, and that he liked taking on the challenges laid out before him. Hall is also improving drastically during his baptism by fire.

Of course, everyone is different. Arnott succumbed to the pressure while eventually becoming an excellent player on other teams with more depth.

As for the Capitals, currently they're basically a slightly better version of the late-90's Oilers: talented playmaking center (Weight/Backstrom) and physical scoring winger (Guerin/Ovechkin) with a decent supporting cast, a revolving door of second liners, a solid defense corps usually with one or two stand-outs, and good goaltending.

Lundqvist is a good enough goalie that only Ovechkin was a constant threat to score. As long as the Rangers defense swarmed Ovechkin, there's not much of a threat from elsewhere. Lundqvist could handle most of everyone else. Funnily, the Caps lack what the late-90's Oilers had: a secondary scoring option on the first line (Ryan Smyth before he became old).

Old
05-14-2013, 03:08 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Caps best scoring chances came with the the Ovechkin line off the ice. Pure cycle and drive, that team gets most of it's offense with point shots.

Seguin did nothing that series. He was a "pseudo-factor" with so many shots. None of them were from high-percentage areas and Reimer shrugged them off with minimal difficulty. He didn't crash the net, didn't go into physical areas, and did nothing as a result. His play on the winner was "whatever" - there was a nice subtle kick to move the puck away from Reimer but it wasn't really much of a hockey play.

Lundqvist looks absolutely God-like between the pipes for NYR. But I think Boston will wear down that D, they have too much scoring on too many lines for Tortarella to play a distinct match-up game with McDonagh/Girardi. They will get exposed thanks to BOS' scoring depth. People underestimate the value of Peverley/Kelly/Paille type players in their ability to create scoring opportunities.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:35 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I'm choked the leafs lost. I was pulling for them.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Watching the highlights of all the dejected and stunned maple leaf fans quietly shuffling home, I can't help but think Nuck fans out west are all watching this thinking "lamest riot ever".

Old
05-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Velocirapture
The Evil User

I delighted perhaps too much in the Leafs loss - gotta get my jollies somehow!

Old
05-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

The denouement on the leafs board is delicious.

Posters there that aren't burning the org in effigy or planning a SC parade trying to come up with:

"Well, we were never expected to get this far, what an accomplishment"

Which is kind of like kissing your sister and boasting of it as some kind of grand conquest. I need mouthwash to erase that imagery.

Lets maybe recap a reality check.

An org that hasn't done anything during the second century of confederation of this country and has the gall to represent "Maple Leafs" as if its flying a flag (at half mass or letting it rub in the dirt) got bent over yet again in the last 9mins of a game 7 in which they were leading 4-1. To then of course lose in OT.

One word only comes up in this. Fail. Massive, monumental even.

This wasn't a hockey game it was divine comedy played out on the national stage and we're all thankful for the mirth. Its hard to find any hellish Dante's inferno muse anymore but this will suffice nicely. Really, this made my playoffs, anything else could happen with a smile on my face.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:15 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
I am a happy happy person today. Leafs and Nucks falling apart will make everything that happens after this point moot for me. I will love it when the two teams that fell apart start trading with each other.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:20 AM
joestevens29

Washington's secondary scoring was a question mark for me going into the playoffs and the overall heart to dig down and win a game. They have the players to be more than a first round and out team, but they just don't seem to have that extra step. Sad thing is secondary scoring once again was there for them, but loss the primary scoring.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:31 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The Rangers are just better built for the playoffs. Largely because of that Lundqvist guy.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 View Post
You forgot to add, the HABS.....but yes indeed, great 1st rd.
Canucks = CHECK
Leafs = CHECK
Habs = CHECK
Wild = CHECK
Ducks = CHECK
now the pens have to lose so iggy doesn't get a cup, and it's all good.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:41 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Can this playoffs be any better?

Old
05-14-2013, 10:50 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
The Rangers are just better built for the playoffs. Largely because of that Lundqvist guy.
Need to mention that they didn't have Marc Staal either. Major props to Girardi and McDonagh.

I'm gonna go with:

Rangers in (*gasp*) 7
Pens in 6
Kings in 5
Hawks in 6

I think the Bruins could handle the Rangers but they seem tired and lack that super-focus they had a couple of years ago. Rangers are resilient as heck, I just wonder if they have a drop-off after beating Washington again.

If the Pens play Vokoun the entire time, probably Pens in 4-5. But I expect we'll see Fleury out there at least once and it will cost them.

I think the Sharks may have a drop-off after beating the hated Canucks, and the Kings are just built for the playoffs. Kings in 5 might be a little harsh but let's not forget the Blues beat the Sharks in 5 last year and though the Sharks are improved, it's still difficult for them to score against close checking teams.

Hawks in 6 - I say this because obviously never, EVER count the Wings out. I think Anaheim's season was a little inflated and I'm not shocked the Wings won, but so long as Crawford continues to play extremely well, I can't see the Wings matching the depth of the Hawks.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:12 AM
joestevens29

Vokoun is to start the series, so barring him falling apart I doubt we see Fleury.

I'm curious what Seidenberg's status is, without him I don't think Boston can beat the Rangers.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:14 AM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post

I agree too, but one HUGE factor the East has over the West, is the schedule all season was a JOKE comparing the two sides. Eastern teams never had to leave a time zone. and there longest road trips were 3 games, (atleast the Leafs were) compared to the Oilers 2 (5 game trips) and one 9 game trip. So teams from the East will not be as "tired" as the West, some would say.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I agree too, but one HUGE factor the East has over the West, is the schedule all season was a JOKE comparing the two sides. Eastern teams never had to leave a time zone. and there longest road trips were 3 games, (atleast the Leafs were) compared to the Oilers 2 (5 game trips) and one 9 game trip. So teams from the East will not be as "tired" as the West, some would say.
Yep, this is age old problem and much moreso this year. The Eastern clubs haven't had to extend themselves much this year on or off the ice and have a travel schedule, and opponent schedule, that is very attractive.

The real trouble here is a SC opponent can come out of the East having extended energy only every 2nd game or so, travel hardly at all, and get to the SC refreshed.

LA had to go to war just to get out of the first round. An EVERY GAME war.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:48 PM
0ilerman
The King

Quote:
Travel for all series' except the Pitt - Ott will be very friendly in the second round. Geographically the 2nd round match-ups are all super close

Old
05-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

We should have drafted Sequin.
He has made the playoffs two years in a row.

Closed Thread