HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Fans that leave games during blowouts

Old
05-14-2013, 01:34 AM
AZPenguins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Everyone is different. Some people decide they would rather miss the traffic than stick around for the obvious result. Some people may have decided they get too worked up during a blowout, and they leave rather than get angered over a game that is supposed to bring enjoyment and entertainment.

I ask this - why is it unusual for folks to leave a source of entertainment when they are no longer entertained? Is it out of some arbitrary sense of loyalty that they are required to stay? If these same fans were going out and burning all of their gear, selling their season tickets and boycotting the team after a single blowout I would see the confusion, but simply leaving? Hell, I change the channel or walk out of the theater when I don't like a movie. I'm not being entertained, so I'm going to find a better use of my time.

Now, if you find more enjoyment out of remaining loyal to the bitter end, that's also fine.

We are all fans in different ways.
/Thread

Best response to this question that I have ever read.

AZPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:37 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Don't get me wrong. I've been a fan of the game for 20 years now. I love hockey, but when I go to a Predators game as a Predators fan I'm certainly putting my team ahead of the sport itself. Now, if I'm going to a game between two teams to which I have no emotional allegiance at all, I don't care what the score is. I'll stick around until the end. Chances are I'm there on vacation anyway. I'm going to the game to see the game.

BUT if I'm going to see MY team play and MY team is being demolished I'm probably pretty pissed off. That's just me. Not everyone gets that way, but over the years I have come to realize the limitations of my own temper. I've also come to realize that it isn't worth getting that worked up over. It's just a game. It's there for entertainment, and when I fail to be entertained I'll leave, or change the channel, or whatever. It isn't worth the high blood pressure when it's all said and done.

There are a lot of things in this world worth that kind of emotional stress. At the end of the day, a game simply isn't in my humble opinion.

05-14-2013, 01:37 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoekkoekPuffs View Post
I have never understood why anyone would just leave a live NHL game early just because their team is down. The Rangers/Caps game tonight had a bunch of empty seats and there were even a few unlucky souls that left the Leafs/Bruins game early .

But what's the motivation? Do some people give up on their team and lose all interest because of one poor showing? Is it a useless way to protest against your own team? Do they only find watching NHL hockey enjoyable when their team leads? I don't get it.
If I don't enjoy it, I leave.

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:39 AM
Unaffiliated

Because it actually hurts to watch them play so poorly.

Obviously you don't care as much as I do.

Last edited by Unaffiliated: 05-14-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:55 AM
TTOMO

At Game 2 of the Canucks/Sharks series, some guy took his kids home with 5 minutes left in the 3rd and the Canucks up by one. He assumed we had won the game. What a moron. People that leave one goal games early, especially in the playoffs, are lame. I don't care if they have kids.

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:26 AM
Sotty

You win with your team and you lose with your team. Sure, anyone who paid money for the tickets can do whatever they want. But you might call yourself a bandwagon fan if you can't tolerate your team losing badly. It is also a sign of respect for the players. Yeah, they get more than enough money regardless if someone leaves early or not, but why should they care about the team if the "fans" don't as soon as the team loses.

Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:28 AM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
A lot of those people attend 40+ games per year. They put a huge amount of time and money into watching hockey games.

For those people, the games aren't so special that it seems like some kind of crime to get up and walk away b
I don't know, I go to all the Jets games and I never leave until the end. I guess I can understand it during the regular season, but in the final game of your teams season, regardless of whether it's a blowout, I think you should stick it out to the end.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:33 AM
NJDevils7

I've never left a game early. Even if its a blowout, you never know what else can happen (ex: goalie fight or something)

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:26 AM
backs4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
You win with your team and you lose with your team. Sure, anyone who paid money for the tickets can do whatever they want. But you might call yourself a bandwagon fan if you can't tolerate your team losing badly. It is also a sign of respect for the players. Yeah, they get more than enough money regardless if someone leaves early or not, but why should they care about the team if the "fans" don't as soon as the team loses.
I don't find watching my team be blown out enjoyable or entertaining one bit, I find it extremely stressful and boring. I watch hockey to be entertained and to have a good time, once that's sucked out of the game, I don't see a point in watching it anymore. Also, I absolutely hate crowded parking lots.

Why should fans show respect to the players when the players stop caring when they're getting blown out? Hell, I bet most players wish they could leave early as well in a blowout.

backs4mvp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:10 AM
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoekkoekPuffs View Post
So can I take this to mean you only watch hockey games in person to find out the final score? I personally go to games to enjoy the hockey and while losing sucks, I'd still enjoy watching my team play.
I wonder if you'd still say this if suddenly the NHL decided they wouldn't keep score, there would be no winners or losers, and that fans could simply sit back and watch guys play hockey.

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Guy Germaine

man, anyone that left that Bruins game last night with two minutes to play are destroying themselves with regret. Potential best game of their lives.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:40 AM
roboninja
EYG

You guys can defend the "leavers" all you want. All I know is that for those Bruins fans that left early, I feel nothing but contentment that they missed the biggest comeback of their team's playoff history.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:31 AM
kdfsjljklgjfg

I've left a game once in my life, and that was an AHL game with my team down like 1-6 after 2 periods, and I could either stick around and watch them fail worse than I'd ever seen, or drive home as fast as I can to catch an NHL playoff game on TV.

Really, the only condition I'd ever leave early under.

kdfsjljklgjfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:39 AM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
You pay money to watch your team compete, not embarrass themselves and embarrass you for spending your hard earned money to watch them crap out on the ice.

At some point beating the traffic is better than continuing to watch your team play like ****. And no, that doesn't make those individuals any less of a fan.
Why would anyone want to sit and watch their team get blown out, and then have to sit in traffic because they stayed until the end. Seems better to just get the hell out of there and back home or wherever else you need to go asap.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Hugh Madbrough

Not every fan is as passionate as you op. Some people don't live and die rooting for people they will never meet etc. Do want you want to do at games and don't judge others.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:22 AM
bluefan

I can understand why people leave, but I pay good money for my season tickets and intend to use them to their fullest. And you just never know if your team can pull that miraculous come back.

I was there for those back to back games with Capitals @ Jets. Not fun at all but I still sat through those joke pair of games.

bluefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:48 AM
djdub
#6cups

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmanin View Post
everyone is different. Some people decide they would rather miss the traffic than stick around for the obvious result. Some people may have decided they get too worked up during a blowout, and they leave rather than get angered over a game that is supposed to bring enjoyment and entertainment.

I ask this - why is it unusual for folks to leave a source of entertainment when they are no longer entertained? Is it out of some arbitrary sense of loyalty that they are required to stay? If these same fans were going out and burning all of their gear, selling their season tickets and boycotting the team after a single blowout i would see the confusion, but simply leaving? Hell, i change the channel or walk out of the theater when i don't like a movie. I'm not being entertained, so i'm going to find a better use of my time.

Now, if you find more enjoyment out of remaining loyal to the bitter end, that's also fine.

We are all fans in different ways.
qftmft

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

I was at the Caps v Rags game and left with 4 minutes remaining and the score 5-0. Not a fan of either team, just happen to live in DC and love good hockey. There was no good hockey to be had at that point, so I left. On topic though, I have never, and would never, leave a Preds game early though. Even if you're getting blown out, I can still focus on watching our younger guys who generally play hard no matter the score because their NHL lives generally depend on it.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:54 AM
um

if this was 2008 they would stay, but after years of failure they just say **** it and leave

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

I can't imagine I'd ever do it in the playoffs but I have many times in the regular season. Especially in Edmonton where it is a complete nightmare getting out of that area. Overcrowded trains and shady neighborhood at night, I'd rather miss the last 5 minutes and get on it early.

Oscar Acosta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:57 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alberks View Post
I leave early during blowouts because I go to about 99% of my teams games. There's no point in me staying the extra half-hour to continue to watch a crappy effort since I will just be back next game. In a sense, I'm not really missing anything if I leave early. I don't mean to sound arrogant, I just happen to have the privilege of going to all of the games. I don't think it makes me less of a fan to leave a game early.

Obviously people who go to fewer games will have a different perspective here.

I actually left game 4 of the Wild/Hawks series during the middle of the 3rd period when we were only down 2-0 haha.
I agree with the first part of your post, being a sth means you can be picky about what games you leave early, or which ones you attend to begin with.

That said, my line of demarcation where I'd leave a game early is 5 or more goals down in the second intermission (regular season only) At that point it ceases to be hockey and is more like an exhibition. There's only been one comeback like that in a hundred years of hockey (Kings-Oilers in the '82 playoffs) and I ain't sticking around for a weeknight regular season game hoping that'll somehow be the second time it happens.

I can't really understand leaving early in 'close' games to beat the traffic though. To me, if you can't stay for the whole game, what's the point in going to begin with? I was beside myself when the sth's in front of me left a 4-4 game against the Isles late in the third period, I'll never understand that weekday or not.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:05 AM
John McClane

vCash: 990
I don't go to game very often so I usually stay until the very end. I've heard too many horror stories of people missing amazing comebacks. Even last game I went to I saw a couple leave when the Canucks were down 2 goals and they came back and won it in OT. I never want to miss something like that. I couldn't believe a few Bruins fans leaving early last night. They must of been gutted when they got home that night.

John McClane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOMO View Post
At Game 2 of the Canucks/Sharks series, some guy took his kids home with 5 minutes left in the 3rd and the Canucks up by one. He assumed we had won the game. What a moron. People that leave one goal games early, especially in the playoffs, are lame. I don't care if they have kids.
.... says a poster with no kids.

I find it amazing how some hf posters try to define how fans should behave.

Or maybe just transferring anger that your team lost? Nawww, couldn't be that, could it?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Smash88

This is a thread that comes up almost monthly.. Why people care when other people are leaving is beyond me...

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Arpeggio

I've seen plenty of "good hockey" in my life. It's frustrating for me watching my team get blown out, no point in sticking around for that. I don't enjoy being sad or mad. I've never actually been to a blowout, I've certainly turned the television off though.

Not everyone is like you.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote