Notices

You guys like LEWIS ? I DONT.

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2006, 10:28 AM
BostonHockey33

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BostonHockey33
your description of what how he was coaching is exactly what a coach should do during preseason

Old
09-28-2006, 10:39 AM
jahbrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEKACUP View Post
I think we did many many very good things this off season. I think the only mistake was hiring this guy. I dont know if I just hate him so deeply for the Kluzak pre season hit 20 whatever years ago.......or something else.

I watched the Rags/Bruins last night and I just did not like what I saw.....I could be wrong but it seems to me the third and fourth lines played as much as the first two lines......STURM needs to be with Bergy and Boyes...Kessel looks Good...But I dont know about his strength....Savard looked LOST....

We are a young team, I dont think Dave Lewis has one bit of creativity, He seems an old school, guy with a boring system. Please help me out here....Am I wrong on Lewis and it is just that I hate him for the Kluzak hit...Or Am I sensing correctly and is his system is boring, slow, and not very good. I also think Chara looked poor on the PP and maybe should go to the net or off the ice. Bergie and Stuart can man the points....I'm pissed that I watched them get shutout last night. PISSED.
Time to move on past the Kluzak hit.

You're seriously complaining about the amount of time he played certain lines in pre-season?

Didn't Chara get a power play goal in one of the Montreal games?

Getting pissed about preseason games is pretty goofy.

Old
09-28-2006, 10:48 AM
stick9

Quote:
Whoa Nelly.....He did not win with the Wings and was let go because he was unable to motivate them enough. Last night with basicly our "real" team we were Outhit, Outhustled, and although we had more talent on the ice......It sure did not look that way cause they were outplayed.

Rags passed better and crisper, and if itwas not for Thomas the game could have been 4-5- nothing. Lunqvuist hardly broke a sweat and only had two tough saves.......Believe me.....Lewis is Far from an EXCELLENT coach. I believe the jury is out on weather he is even a good one.....
He was Bowman's assistant for all three of their cups. Don't think he didn't have a hand in that. It's been said plenty of times, he was good cop to Bowman's bad cop. It's hard to turn around and start playing bad cop with the guys after years of playing the good guy. The Wings lost with Babcock too. Their recent failures in the post season have more to do with an aging line up and weak goaltending then with coaching.

I don't blame coaches for lack of hustle. Their job is to prepare the players and put them in positions to succeed. It's up to the players to go out and play hard. I think you are way under estimating the Rangers and most of all Lundqvist.

Lewis's two years in Detroit the Wings finished 48-20-10 in 02/03 and 48-21-11 in 03/04. Both years losing to the team that went all the way to the finals. Both teams were riding insanely hot goaltenders (giggy & kipper).

Old
09-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Bojakees*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Allrightythen.....now that my fears have been confirmed after 1 preseason game, it's time to cut the deadweight and think about next year, eh?

Who's out there in the free agency market for 07/08?
Obviously the jest of the post was clearly over some folks heads.....Allow me to break it down to the simpelest form......The coach IMO (only) is the wrong fit for the team and the time,.....The players are fine. This team needed a creative bright motivater. Someone like the guy in Carolina. I just think hiring a guy who could'nt win in Detroit because of his lack of motivating and poor line chemistry was a bad choice for a young team. Especially a young team. Lewis coaching mentality is more suited for the old NHL. His mentor is Bowman and the league is very different now in many ways then even three years ago..........You dont get more old school then Bowman. And Lewis does not come with the respect of Bowman. Lets not forget Lewis FAILED with 100 point hockey clubs in the playoffs, that had high expectations not close to being met. Which I beleive projects his motivational skills. Listen we are stuck with the guy for now so I hope I am wrong.......I just dont think so.

Old
09-28-2006, 11:23 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Obviously the jest of the post was clearly over some folks heads.....Allow me to break it down to the simpelest form......The coach IMO (only) is the wrong fit for the team and the time,.....The players are fine. This team needed a creative bright motivater. Someone like the guy in Carolina. I just think hiring a guy who could'nt win in Detroit because of his lack of motivating and poor line chemistry was a bad choice for a young team. Especially a young team. Lewis coaching mentality is more suited for the old NHL. His mentor is Bowman and the league is very different now in many ways then even three years ago..........You dont get more old school then Bowman. And Lewis does not come with the respect of Bowman. Lets not forget Lewis FAILED with 100 point hockey clubs in the playoffs, that had high expectations not close to being met. Which I beleive projects his motivational skills. Listen we are stuck with the guy for now so I hope I am wrong.......I just dont think so.
how much respect did Belichek have coming here? he worked for the great Bill Parcells a HOF coach and bombed out in Cleveland.....he started 5-11 his first year and 0-2 his second year, my math says that is 5-13. Cripes, your pissing and moaning over a preseason loss. I am not the biggest Lewis fan but I think he will be very good from what I've seen.

From my view he is

balanced
creative
knowlegeable
articulate
positive

I probably need to care more and take preseason losses a bit more personally, I'm sure I'm as big a Red Sox fan as you are Bruins but I feel kinda guilty now after going last night and having a great time- awesome weather, great company, a couple of beers, super atmosphere, watching Baldelli, Crawford, Ortiz, checking out the youngsters like Murphy, Pedroia, Delmon Young, BJ Upton.....I realize I just don't get it- I should hate Francona and be PISSED

Old
09-28-2006, 11:32 AM
BruinsGirl

I wonder what makers people say Primeau isn't lock to make a team?

IMHO he is a great thirdliner and yesterday he was one of the best players on ice.

Old
09-28-2006, 11:36 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
i'm surprised it took this long for this post.

lewis has a mustache and probably would wear a mask (snicker) if he were playing in the NHL now. i bet he'll play the mary K's too much, never dress brookbank, and use tenkrap constantly.

Don't forget that he's eating too much of the salary cap

Old
09-28-2006, 11:37 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post

IMHO he is a great thirdliner and yesterday he was one of the best players on ice.
never heard that one- he's a lock in my mind and all my buds who follow the Bruins. Primeau has NHL top 12 forward talent on just about any team- but certainly lower half.

Old
09-28-2006, 11:40 AM
bastone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post

Cause he sucks,he had a bad pre season game

Unnaceptable

Old
09-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

I don't like the fact he's a dead ringer for Hitler.

Old
09-28-2006, 11:54 AM
mattbnh

SEEKACUP wrote: "I just think hiring a guy who could'nt win in Detroit because of his lack of motivating and poor line chemistry was a bad choice for a young team. "

I disagree with each part of this statement.

State that he couldn't win a cup in 2 years, I'll buy that.
But 28 other coaches didn't win a cup those years either. Including Mike Sullivan.
Lewis had a hard act to follow, and still coached the team to 100+ point seasons.
His successor did no better, in fact got beat early also.

Ask Datsyk and Zetterburg how Lewis does with young players and I think you will get a different answer.

As some one else said, hot goaltending more than poor chem caused them to lose.

I will say that I prefer a coach with more a fiery bench presence, but that gets old real quick and guys like Burns and Keenan have a rep of losing players attention the longer they stay.

As far as the game goes, they rang a couple of posts and Lundqvist played great.

Now, if they don't get something going Sat at the TDBN Garden, then I will start to worry.

I am more concerned about Jurcina's elbow than I am about Lewis at this point.

Old
09-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
1. Let's wait for this team to make the playoffs before we start worrying about whether or not it will fail in them.

2. One could just as easily say that some of the Red Wings grew complacent after their success under Bowman and were content with their three Cups. A similar thing happens in the NFL (see Law, Ty who's gone from sinking ship (NY Jets) to sinking ship (KC Chiefs) after winning three Super Bowls).

3. It's the preseason. Relax, Francis.

Old
09-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Spoon fed

Your opinion is invalid at this point as you don't have enough data to back it up. What about the pre-season games we won?

You may well be right about lewis, let's call that a premonition / a foreshadowing...

But to call this a mistake is just obnoxious at this point. Give him a handful of regular season games.

FWIW, I wasn't thrilled about Lewis either, but If Chia thinks he can do it, then it rests solely on Chia's shoulders if it doesn't work out.

I'm quite happy of 90+ percent of the changes / (additions and subtractions) up to this point.

Old
09-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Bojakees*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
how much respect did Belichek have coming here? he worked for the great Bill Parcells a HOF coach and bombed out in Cleveland.....he started 5-11 his first year and 0-2 his second year, my math says that is 5-13. Cripes, your pissing and moaning over a preseason loss. I am not the biggest Lewis fan but I think he will be very good from what I've seen.

From my view he is

balanced
creative
knowlegeable
articulate
positive

I probably need to care more and take preseason losses a bit more personally, I'm sure I'm as big a Red Sox fan as you are Bruins but I feel kinda guilty now after going last night and having a great time- awesome weather, great company, a couple of beers, super atmosphere, watching Baldelli, Crawford, Ortiz, checking out the youngsters like Murphy, Pedroia, Delmon Young, BJ Upton.....I realize I just don't get it- I should hate Francona and be PISSED

Balanced......Yea....I'd call you're fourth liners playing almost as much as you're 1st liners Is balanced....Not smart...but balanced.

Creative....Depends on weather forcing Kessel with Bergeron and Boyes (NO GOALS YET, EITHER OF THEM HMMMM) instead of leaving Sturm with them (That line was creative) Is Creative or just plain dumb. Creative is fine....Breaking up a line that average 2.87 points per game so you can fit a rookie in....Is dumb...Not creative.....

Creative would be to see if Kessel and Kalus could have continued their pre season chemistry and then finding them a center...THAT would be creative....not breaking up our best line.

Knowledgable.....Whats he done so knowledgable ???....Has he done anything inventive or out of the box that proves his knowledge ? Can you give me an example that I may have missed ???

Articulate.....And where does articulation make you a good hockey coach ?....Jim Leyland is not that articulate....Yet the Tigers are excellent for the first time since they fired their articulate last manager named Trammell....BOY that LINDY RUFF sure is an articulate Goon eh ?......I am sorry, I just have'nt seen to many cups won because of articulation. Being articulate is fine...Just dont know where it fits in here.....

Positive....The guy was fired last season from perhaps the best place to coach in the whole league. He was mentored by the best. Had money to spend, Had presidents cup talent, had fans, and tradition, and atmosphere....Yet positively did not do well Why did Charelli think he would be better here ?........Whats he been positive about. How hard is it to say, Its nice having Chara, Bergeron is a bright young talent, Boyes future is great....yada yada yada....

I think you need to apply some different adjectives that may be more appropriate at this time.......

Old
09-28-2006, 12:10 PM
SPICOLI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I don't like the fact he's a dead ringer for Hitler.
No Doubt..... What is up with the Hitler-like mustache? I'm not doubting the man's coaching abilities one bit, but the stash has to go. Kinda creepy.

I pretty much will echo everyone else's sentiments on Lewis so far..... It is only the preseason, and we definitely need to give him some regular season action before we judge him. So far, I like him, and I think the players do too.

Old
09-28-2006, 12:25 PM
neelynugs

FIRE...SULLIVAN...NOW!

oops...wrong season

Old
09-28-2006, 12:36 PM
stick9

Quote:
Balanced......Yea....I'd call you're fourth liners playing almost as much as you're 1st liners Is balanced....Not smart...but balanced.

Creative....Depends on weather forcing Kessel with Bergeron and Boyes (NO GOALS YET, EITHER OF THEM HMMMM) instead of leaving Sturm with them (That line was creative) Is Creative or just plain dumb. Creative is fine....Breaking up a line that average 2.87 points per game so you can fit a rookie in....Is dumb...Not creative.....

Creative would be to see if Kessel and Kalus could have continued their pre season chemistry and then finding them a center...THAT would be creative....not breaking up our best line.

Knowledgable.....Whats he done so knowledgable ???....Has he done anything inventive or out of the box that proves his knowledge ? Can you give me an example that I may have missed ???

Articulate.....And where does articulation make you a good hockey coach ?....Jim Leyland is not that articulate....Yet the Tigers are excellent for the first time since they fired their articulate last manager named Trammell....BOY that LINDY RUFF sure is an articulate Goon eh ?......I am sorry, I just have'nt seen to many cups won because of articulation. Being articulate is fine...Just dont know where it fits in here.....

Positive....The guy was fired last season from perhaps the best place to coach in the whole league. He was mentored by the best. Had money to spend, Had presidents cup talent, had fans, and tradition, and atmosphere....Yet positively did not do well Why did Charelli think he would be better here ?........Whats he been positive about. How hard is it to say, Its nice having Chara, Bergeron is a bright young talent, Boyes future is great....yada yada yada....

I think you need to apply some different adjectives that may be more appropriate at this time.......
FWIW he wasn't actually fired. He remained with the organization in another capacity. Oh, and splitting guys up and trying new things classifies as thinking outside the box or being creative. Sticking with someone elses combos is anything but.

In other news, restaurants are now serving decaff.

Old
09-28-2006, 12:41 PM
chippa13*

Quote:
I think we did many many very good things this off season. I think the only mistake was hiring this guy. I dont know if I just hate him so deeply for the Kluzak pre season hit 20 whatever years ago.......or something else.

I watched the Rags/Bruins last night and I just did not like what I saw.....I could be wrong but it seems to me the third and fourth lines played as much as the first two lines......STURM needs to be with Bergy and Boyes...Kessel looks Good...But I dont know about his strength....Savard looked LOST....

We are a young team, I dont think Dave Lewis has one bit of creativity, He seems an old school, guy with a boring system. Please help me out here....Am I wrong on Lewis and it is just that I hate him for the Kluzak hit...Or Am I sensing correctly and is his system is boring, slow, and not very good. I also think Chara looked poor on the PP and maybe should go to the net or off the ice. Bergie and Stuart can man the points....I'm pissed that I watched them get shutout last night. PISSED.
Ummmmm..........the preseason is for prepping for the season, not for winning games. The idea is to get guys comfortable with each other in game situations. That is why you had a healthy dose of the 3/4 lines last night.

Old
09-28-2006, 12:45 PM
SToMper!

Quote:

Dude, I think you're way the hell off in your reasoning for just about everything.

You don't know that with a fresh bunch of guys, ones that aren't beholden to SB, and with a good plan executed with knowledge, creativity, articulation with a positive team building approach that Dave Lewis is a wrong fit. He really hasn't gotten a FRESH start anywhere and he's making it happen here.....now......in the preseason where juggling of just about everything belongs.

Here's an adjective......PATIENT.

Old
09-28-2006, 12:46 PM
mattbnh

Quote:
L is for the way Dave Lewis LEADS
O is for the OFFENSE Boston needs
V is very, Mary-K extraordinary
E is even more of the Bergie we adore

Apologies to Nat King Cole

Old
09-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Boston Bruno

My take..

I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss some of your criticism of Lewis last night, if it were a regular season game..

It was pretty interesting how quickly the game sort of turned on the bruins the minute Hulwig smoked a B.. After that moment (and Stuart being shoved into the open door) the B;s had nothing.

I dont think it was a coaching problem, yet still more of a a motivation problem.
(which really is part of the whole spectrum of the team, not just lewis)

I think the "full roster" (above 80 percent) had everyone expecting someone else to take the lead..

Chara's game last night was full of gaffs. I was not overly impressed with him, nor some of the play with York.

No Strassobosco either, so really we were only at 10 percent capacity no matter what the 80% rule is..

Some of the things I did notice were Wayne Primeau and Axelsson working well together, but Donovan just didnt work with them..

Boyes, Bergeron and Kessel will work together, as will Savard, Murray and Kessel,
Sturm, Murray and Savard, Bergeron Boyes and Murray etc etc - The top 2 line off wingers can be changed at the drop of a hat and we will get production..

Thomas really did play well, so did the Lundmark.. While it did not appear that the bruins were mustering much of an attack (save the last 20 seconds) - I think it was more Lundmark not giving up rebounds, playing angles and his D men doing a solid job.

all in all, it was a very uninspired effort by the bruins - I concur that we would have been smoked if Thomas played his B game.. Chara was fairly unimpressive (impressive in a negative way if possible)

ETC ETc

In the end - Exhibition, New York, Refs were somewhat bogus on some of the calls, TFB, **** doesnt really count for much other giving us a glimpse of something to rave or complain about.

Lets see how we do against them on Saturday after they play the isle the night before..

I suspect we might see Kessel end up with Axelsson and Primeau at some point

Old
09-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Marchy63

It's just preseason. Lewis as a head coach is not really responsible for the players, his job is to tell the asssistants what to teach the players. I think the coaching staff is still learning the plays and the players will need time to figure out the system and learn to play with their linemates. Lewis learned form one of the greatest coaches of all time (Bowman didn't win every time he had a 100 points either), I'm sure that he learned a thing or two about hockey. if the players had been playing together for a long time then you could complain about how Kessel Bergeron and Boyes had no goals. But would anyone be complaining if theat line had scored 3 or 4 goals?

Old
09-28-2006, 01:25 PM
omr17

Although I don't hate Lewis, put me in the 'not sold on him' category. He had two good regular seasons with a VERY talented Detroit team which amount to two poor post seasons in Detroit with that same VERY talented team (which is ultimately why he got canned). Was he successful as an assistant - sure. Who wasn't a successful assistant with the great Scotty Bowman as their head coach?

That said, I'm not going to say he is a bad coach - I'm just not sold on the guy yet. He did some real good things with some of the young talent in Detroit and not so good things with others (his repeated play of Kuznetsov on D was always baffling to me - quite possibly the worst d-man to play more than 10 games in the NHL of the past 20 years...maybe longer). He is the Bruins guy for now - and I think you have to give him at least 2 years with the team to see if he can do something with it.

Old
09-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Marchy63

It could have been worse we could have hired Pat Quinn. Then no of the young players would see the ice including Boyes, Bergeron, Kessel, Jurcina and Toivonen. Then where would we be?

Old
09-28-2006, 01:38 PM
BostonHockey33

Send a message via AIM to BostonHockey33
yeah itd be nice to have a coach like "that guy in carolina"...that won a stanley cup...laviolette...yeah he seems like a guy we should have...didnt he coach in the minors and win a calder cup a few years ago? hmmmm what organization was that with? wow they should have kept him...whatever team that was...

Closed Thread