HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread #4

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2013, 08:37 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Thats not going to happen. We may very well draft a defenseman, but Snider is an impatient old man. He will do what ever it takes to get a top pairing guy and if he has to deal Couturier, Laughton, Cousins and the 11th overall he will. He doesnt care. Even its a mind boggling stupid move (see the Bryz fiasco) he will do it.
The Flyers are either going to overpay via trade or they are going to give someone like Streit 2 million more then hes worth per year. its going to happen IMO
Everyone seems so convinced that Snider is pulling all the strings behind the scene. I can't see that at all. There's no way a guy like Clarke would have stayed in Philadelphia for so long if that were the case. Same with Holmgren. There's no way that those two guys would stay and work in that kind of environment.

On top of it, ex-employees that leave would certainly speak up if Snider were doing things like that. Al Davis he certainly isn't. I'm sure that he's a very hands on owner, but I also think he's not the kind to interfere with how the GM will do his job.

Old
05-13-2013, 08:58 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Anaheim's season over?? Queue the rumors of Ryan to the Flyers.

On that note though, Anaheim fans seem to want to upgrade their defense. Coburn for Ryan? Of course Anaheim fans would want more than that though. I am thinking Homer brings in a top line winger for Giroux, and Ryan fits that bill.

Also people saying wait until he hits UFA. He hits it in 2 more years, and he is in his offensive peak right now along with Giroux. If Flyers are trying to win now, right now would be the time to do the deal.

Also it seems most of them are okay with the idea of moving Sbisa. I wonder if Homer would try to get him back if he hit the market? I wouldn't mind him coming back here.

Coburn+Read+2rd rounder

for

Ryan+Sbisa.
I would definitely be all over this deal, which means that Anaheim likely would not. They definitely give up the two best assets in the trade.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:59 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
Yandle is really not as bad as people say he is, especially on a team that past Timonen really lacks an offensive threat on the blueline. People say Matt Carle is a comparable, but it's just inaccurate.

CONS: Sheltered this past year in Phoenix. Obviously OEL is a much better pure #1 defender, while Yandle is more like Mike Green. 60% of his starts were offensive zone starts and he didn't face a very high quality of competition. Not bad defensively by any means,

PROS: Excellent skater, excellent shot, excellent passer, excellent puck carrier. At one point this year he was the best defender at moving the puck into the offensive zone successfully. Guy has ...
I agree with much of your take on Yandle...not sure what people around here are smoking. I have Center Ice and have seen my fair share of Yotes games. People assume he has no defensive game, but that's not true...it's not the more physical, in your face, shut-down D that you usually get with guys considered to be the top defenders in the league, but it's not like the guy is a liability out there...people bring up Carle...I think the comparison could be valid for his defensive game. Both players employ positioning and a good stick to defend, with little overt physicality.

The big difference is Yandle is much better offensively in terms of his skating, hockey IQ and puck skills. His passes are better, his shot is much better, his point play is much better. Another important distinction that I think some overlook is that, despite having a rep as "a puck moving d man", Carle hardly ever advanced the puck up the ice by actually skating it out. Carle (despite the once in a while stretch pass), favored the d to d or other short pass to a forward that would then carry through the neutral zone...if the team was then able to set up in the zone Carle joined the play and collected the points making fairly basic plays.

Yandle is a much more dynamic puck mover. Yeah, he can pass better than Carle but the critical distinction is he can also skate the puck out of the zone to lead the transition game and push the play, which puts the opposition on their heels, opens up lanes and helps the team move up and attack as a unit. This ability to "carry the mail" is what makes Yandle so effective in obtaining the offensive zone. Carle rarely even skated the puck out of his own zone. Some "puck mover". Yzerman found out the hard way. Another thing while I'm on the topic...people point to turnovers by the likes of Yandle and Doughty and Karlsson and try to draw a comparison to Carle, but from what I've seen, the majority of Carle's turnovers are made from the defensive zone (where they are more dangerous) while a good measure of those other players' turnovers occur outside of their own zone, as a by product of their carrying the puck and trying to make plays up the ice...there's a difference.

Pair Yandle with a partner who can play sound, physical D and make some basic plays (Grossmann, possibly Coburn, or even Schenn) and I don't think it's a pairing you have to have a particular worry about defensively.

I also want to say I wouldn't view Yandle as the sole solution. He's not Chris Pronger (not many are). With Timonen being done soon and the likelihood of lingering injury issues amongst Meszaros, Grossmann (maybe Coburn), it's likely that another top 4 (on top of a Yandle or whoever) will be needed at some point in the not too distant future.

I said it before, I would absolutely trade Couturier (or Schenn) for Yandle straight up...I'd maybe even add a sweetener, like a 3rd rd pick or a Gostisbehere or something...any more than that...mmmm they might have to throw another bone in too.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:02 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
I agree with much of your take on Yandle...not sure what people around here are smoking. I have Center Ice and have seen my fair share of Yotes games. People assume he has no defensive game, but that's not true...it's not the more physical, in your face, shut-down D that you usually get with guys considered to be the top defenders in the league, but it's not like the guy is a liability out there...people bring up Carle...I think the comparison could be valid for his defensive game. Both players employ positioning and a good stick to defend, with little overt physicality.

The big difference is Yandle is much better offensively in terms of his skating, hockey IQ and puck skills. His passes are better, his shot is much better, his point play is much better. Another important distinction that I think some overlook is that, despite having a rep as "a puck moving d man", Carle hardly ever advanced the puck up the ice by actually skating it out. Carle (despite the once in a while stretch pass), favored the d to d or other short pass to a forward that would then carry through the neutral zone...if the team was then able to set up in the zone Carle joined the play and collected the points making fairly basic plays.

Yandle is a much more dynamic puck mover. Sure, he can pass better than Carle but the critical dictinction is he can also skate the puck out of the zone to lead the transition game and push the play, which puts the opposition on their heels, opens up lanes and helps the team move up and attack as a unit. This ability to "carry the mail" is what makes Yandle him so effective in obtaining the offensive zone. Carle rarely even skated the puck out of his own zone. Some "puck mover". Yzerman found out the hard way. Another thing while I'm on the topic...people point to turnovers by Yandle and Doughty and Karlsson and try to draw a comparison to Carle, but from what I've seen, the majority of Carle's turnovers are made from the defensive zone (where they are more dangerous) while a good measure of those other players' turnovers occur outside of their own zone, as a by product of their carrying the puck and trying to make plays up the ice...there's a difference.

Pair Yandle with a partner who can play sound, physical D and make some basic plays (Grossmann, possibly Coburn, or even Schenn) and I don't think the pairing you have to have a particular worry about defensively.

I also want to say I wouldn't view Yandle as the sole solution. He's not Chris Pronger (not many are). With Timonen being done soon and the likelihood of lingering injury issues amongst Meszaros, Grossmann (maybe Coburn), it's likely that another top 4 (on top of a Yandle or whoever) will be needed at some point in the not too distant future.

I said it before, I would absolutely trade Couturier (or Schenn) for Yandle straight up...I'd maybe even add a sweetener, like a 3rd rd pick or a Gostisbehere or something...any more than that...mmmm they might have to throw another bone in too.
It would cost more than Couturier or Schenn and a 3rd or Gost for Yandle. That's why no one wants him.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:29 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
I'm from the West Coast so I see a lot of the western teams, seen a lot of Yandle and been a fan of him since his first few seasons. Seen him live against the Canucks a few times, both of which Yandle was the best player on the ice.

Carle vs. Yandle is comparable only in style. Difference is Yandle is better at everything on offense, most noticeably his shot. Yandle will be getting 200 shots a year, give or take a few shots here or there. Dave Tippett is a guy who loves his matchups and loves the strategic play instead of just rolling the lines and defensive pairings, so of course their best offensive player (Yandle) is going to be used much like the Sedins are used in Vancouver - pure offense. Especially when they have a stacked defense with one of the best two-way guys in the league OEL and sturdy-ish defensive players like Klesla, Michalek, Morris, etc. On a team that needed scoring badly, it's no wonder they gave Yandle so much offensive zone time. They relied on him to score while the best forwards on the team were Radim Vrbata, Shane Doan and Mikael Boedker compared to what he would have to work with on Philly in Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek.

Some stats from 5v5: in 2011-12 Yandle had a 55% offensive zone start time but faced more a middle of the pack quality of competition. This could be attributed to the more limited presence that OEL had last season. Yandle in both seasons has maintained a positive Corsi. In 2010-11 Yandle only had a 51% offensive zone start time with even tougher quality of competition yet still had a positive Corsi - only Yandle, OEL, Schlemko and Roszival had positive Corsi's throughout that season. Morris, Yandle's partner throughout most of his tenure in Phoenix, has always had a negative Corsi.

If anything, Yandle's minutes, matchups and usage can be attributed to the arrival of OEL. OEL will likely be a top-10 defender in the league at both ends of the ice within the near future. Furthermore, that might be a good reason why Phoenix might move Yandl, however he is their best offensive player by far since Ray Whitney left. For a team needing offense, you'd think they would keep him.

For the cost it would acquire him, I definitely agree that they should look elsewhere. I'm not disagreeing that Yandle has his flaws 'cause he does, but he's clearly being underrated on this board.

Fair enough. Like I said, have watched him for 3-4 years now (stupid roommate not letting me watch CLB when Flyers werent on ) but I do have a different option. I agree with his offensive ability. EASILY better than Carle's and Im not disagreeing with that. What Im comparing to Carle his both his defensive play, turnovers (which I remember a decent amount of times being in the defensive zone). You gotta be careful with Yandle's advanced stats though. While they are nice, Phoenix plays a heavy choking system that does allow shots but the quality of shots are very low. For a goalie like Smith they allow him to make fairly easy saves. These are directly represented. Also what is important is Tippet making sure Yandle gets fairly easy competition. He had the 2nd easiest opponents behind Biss. Now you can't say OEL is the result of Yandle getting easy minutes. All the other defenders on the team are getting harder minutes. This is including 3rd pairing players. That is pretty significant when you consider him a top 4 defender. Now if you bring in Yandle you can not expect him to take over Timonen or be close to it. He would be on the level of Coburn, Grossmann and Schenn in terms of 2-4 defenders. Would I get him. I would depending on the price. Its the price I am afraid of though. I can see them asking for a #1 defender worthy trade for a player, I dont consider a #1 defender.

Old
05-13-2013, 11:47 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Anaheim's season over?? Queue the rumors of Ryan to the Flyers.

On that note though, Anaheim fans seem to want to upgrade their defense. Coburn for Ryan? Of course Anaheim fans would want more than that though. I am thinking Homer brings in a top line winger for Giroux, and Ryan fits that bill.

Also people saying wait until he hits UFA. He hits it in 2 more years, and he is in his offensive peak right now along with Giroux. If Flyers are trying to win now, right now would be the time to do the deal.

Also it seems most of them are okay with the idea of moving Sbisa. I wonder if Homer would try to get him back if he hit the market? I wouldn't mind him coming back here.

Coburn+Read+2rd rounder

for

Ryan+Sbisa.
Was thinking the same thing in terms of a Coburn for Ryan deal (Flyers probably add a bit, maybe a 2nd or so), but also going after Edler in VAN rather than Sbisa. Read or Simmonds may be enticing to them for a sniper/banger beside the twins, but again we'd have to add. I'd prefer not to give up this year's 1st or next year's 1st (we have to have a 1st round pick when we're hosting the draft...right?)

Old
05-13-2013, 11:58 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Ryan pulock reminds me a lot of yandle. I don't want pulock and i dont want yandle. Those type of dmen put up points but dont win you games. Plus none of them are very mobile. We need a mobile defense-man similar to a kris letang, drew dougty, or Del Zotto.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:36 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Everyone seems so convinced that Snider is pulling all the strings behind the scene. I can't see that at all. There's no way a guy like Clarke would have stayed in Philadelphia for so long if that were the case. Same with Holmgren. There's no way that those two guys would stay and work in that kind of environment.

On top of it, ex-employees that leave would certainly speak up if Snider were doing things like that. Al Davis he certainly isn't. I'm sure that he's a very hands on owner, but I also think he's not the kind to interfere with how the GM will do his job.
Pretty sure it was Sniders call on the Carter and Richards trade and the Bryzgalov signing. He wants a Cup before he dies. I dont think Snider was always this "hands on" but in recently he is getting more involved so I wasnt talking about when Clarke was here.
The Al Davis comparison was probably a bit of a overstatement, but there is no denying that he desperately wants to win a Cup before he passes away. he doesnt want to wait 3 years.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:48 AM
FeedingFrenzy

how about Demers + Stalock(top goalie prospect)+ 20th pick this year + 2014 1st in return for your 11th this year??

Demers is a good young PMD.

From reading your board sounds like you could use a G prospect (Stalock)with potential

20th pick in a deep draft this year and the 13th in 2014..

Dont flame too hard, just curious what you guys thoughts are..Thxs

Old
05-14-2013, 05:30 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Pretty sure it was Sniders call on the Carter and Richards trade and the Bryzgalov signing. He wants a Cup before he dies.
I agree that Snider was behind Richards (rumors were he pisted off upper management with attitude and lateness to team corporate events) and Bryzgalov, no sure about Carter. Whats intersting though is how that relates to him wanting a cup. The Richards and Carter trade pushed the Flyers farther from cup contention not closer to it. The Flyers could of acquired Bryz without trading those two guys so if the cup was his desire, he wouldn't have pushed to jettison Carter and Richards. So there appears to be a contradiction.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:53 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
how about Demers + Stalock(top goalie prospect)+ 20th pick this year + 2014 1st in return for your 11th this year??

From reading your board sounds like you could use a G prospect (Stalock)with potential

Ha we wont flame you as long as the trade proposal isnt cazy . Just playing. Now onto your proposal, its alright. We dont really need a goalie prospect though. We have one we took in the 2nd round last season. If anything we would be looking for a young defender with potenial. Our farm is pretty bare with defenders with higher than a #5-6 potenial. Also the next year first, i dont think has thatt much value. Moving down 9 slots isnt thatt big of a deal in a super deep draft but still a decent move downward.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:00 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post

Don't really need goalie prospects that badly but would absolutely move down 9 spots for that package.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:09 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I agree that Snider was behind Richards (rumors were he pisted off upper management with attitude and lateness to team corporate events) and Bryzgalov, no sure about Carter. Whats intersting though is how that relates to him wanting a cup. The Richards and Carter trade pushed the Flyers farther from cup contention not closer to it. The Flyers could of acquired Bryz without trading those two guys so if the cup was his desire, he wouldn't have pushed to jettison Carter and Richards. So there appears to be a contradiction.
I'll say this about Carter and Richards and I'll leave it at this - they signed mega deals, yet they were still moved. You aren't moving players who sign those big contracts unless there's something really wrong behind the scenes. Holmgren can profess his love for both players, but there was something really wrong behind the scenes when both guys, who signed contracts for double digit years, are moved with a blink of an eye.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:41 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Ryan pulock reminds me a lot of yandle. I don't want pulock and i dont want yandle. Those type of dmen put up points but dont win you games. Plus none of them are very mobile. We need a mobile defense-man similar to a kris letang, drew dougty, or Del Zotto.
Yandle isn't mobile?

Old
05-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I don't really see the comparison, to be honest. Yandle is an excellent skater.

Pulock seems more like an early Mike Green type.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'll say this about Carter and Richards and I'll leave it at this - they signed mega deals, yet they were still moved. You aren't moving players who sign those big contracts unless there's something really wrong behind the scenes. Holmgren can profess his love for both players, but there was something really wrong behind the scenes when both guys, who signed contracts for double digit years, are moved with a blink of an eye.
This is not proof of anything. Hypothetically speaking if there was something wrong behind the scenes it doesn't mean there was anything wrong with them. For example if the rumored locker room issues were true it could have came down to Pronger or them. Pronger was completely unmovable with a NMC and a 35+ contract with 6 years remaining on the deal while they were much easier to move and much more attractive to other teams. Let's face it. Pronger is a dick and it would be of no shock if he caused friction in the locker room. He is the kind of guy that is only liked by fans if he plays for your team. Otherwise most people despise his prickly nature. It would also be of no surprise if the Flyers hitched their wagon to the wrong horse as they have done the same exact thing with Bryzgalov.

I think the fact that 17 & 18 have made two finals appearances including one championship shows that their recreational activities were overblown by the gossipy nature of the media.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
This is not proof of anything. Hypothetically speaking if there was something wrong behind the scenes it doesn't mean there was anything wrong with them. For example if the rumored locker room issues were true it could have came down to Pronger or them. Pronger was completely unmovable with a NMC and a 35+ contract with 6 years remaining on the deal while they were much easier to move and much more attractive to other teams. Let's face it. Pronger is a dick and it would be of no shock if he caused friction in the locker room. He is the kind of guy that is only liked by fans if he plays for your team. Otherwise most people despise his prickly nature. It would also be of no surprise if the Flyers hitched their wagon to the wrong horse as they have done the same exact thing with Bryzgalov.

I think the fact that 17 & 18 have made two finals appearances including one championship shows that their recreational activities were overblown by the gossipy nature of the media.
I agree that their recreational activities are overblown and were probably not the reason they were moved, but I also think there was stuff outside of hockey that did get them traded. I dont know anything about Carter other than he was described as the most miserable millionaire anyone has ever met. Unless he was such a downer, like in Columbus, that isn't really a reason to move someone. There are rumors of Richards displaying a terrible attitude at outside hockey functions and to team personnel. He did reportedly showed up 45 minutes late and in a bad attitude to start his last season for a Flyers for a function for corporate partners and season ticket holders. It's one thing to be miserable to the press its another to show up the owner and GM of the organization in front of the people who pay the bills. Add in little things like wearing your friends company hat instead of a Flyers cap during interviews, questioning the GM's cap management and the coaches powerplay decisions to press and you piece together a good picture of guy not too respectful of the hierarchy of management. Captains are the face of the franchise not just on the ice but also in the community and selling it to business partners. Once his on-ice play slipped, the off the ice stuff became a lot more important. Coke use, drinking, whoring is the stuff of tabloids and probably not the reason they were traded.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Prongo
Beer

Why do we have to rehash the Richards and Carter trades in every thread?

We really need to let it go. Just because they won a championship with LA does not mean they would have won here. I'm not saying they wouldn't have, but we never know. LA has something we could never get, an absolute stud performer in the playoffs(Quick.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Was thinking the same thing in terms of a Coburn for Ryan deal (Flyers probably add a bit, maybe a 2nd or so), but also going after Edler in VAN rather than Sbisa. Read or Simmonds may be enticing to them for a sniper/banger beside the twins, but again we'd have to add. I'd prefer not to give up this year's 1st or next year's 1st (we have to have a 1st round pick when we're hosting the draft...right?)
I still really like Sbisa'a potential. Pretty much was thinking Anaheim could go with a more guarantee with Coburn and his performances rather than going through the growing pains with Sbisa.

I like Edler, but the cost to get him would be pretty steep. I am in favor of keeping Couts, unless a couple of players become available. We could get Sbisa+ for Coburn and then try to spark convo's later about Ryan. Or they could just make it a blockbuster. Anaheim and Philly are excellent trade partners, we have traded before and we both carry the other teams needs. We line up too nicely to let it go without calling. I hope Homer gives them a ring or million leading up to the draft.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Rolex

Quote:
I like Edler, but the cost to get him would be pretty steep.
When the dust of the season settles at the end of the year, you never quite know who is available and at what cost. There are a few organizations right now that are baffled by their team's performance in the season and/or POs and need a shake up. The Canucks, Blues, Caps and Ducks stand out to me right now. What they will do is anyone's guess but they need to make some major changes in order to seriously challenge for the Cup. To us Flyers fans, some guys may look weak to another organization, you never know.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
When the dust of the season settles at the end of the year, you never quite know who is available and at what cost. There are a few organizations right now that are baffled by their team's performance in the season and/or POs and need a shake up. The Canucks, Blues, Caps and Ducks stand out to me right now. What they will do is anyone's guess but they need to make some major changes in order to seriously challenge for the Cup. To us Flyers fans, some guys may look weak to another organization, you never know.
I've been saying exactly what you just did for awhile so I agree. We have teams with early exits, internal budgets, needs for a shake up, etc....

St Louis is the first place I look to honestly. Timmy P mentioned an offersheet, I wouldn't go that way. If we are serious about trying to get Shatty or Pietrangelo(I think the Flyers value Piety much more) try and trade for them. Don't low ball them like Weber, but Poile's counter offer was just outright embarrassing. He had the right to do that though.

People said it's a pipe dream like Weber, but that dream almost became reality last year. I know it's a long shot, but you have to explore every possibility to improve this club. St Louis has three top pairing defenders, and with that internal budget(which many Blues fans think they spend to the cap, I still don't see it right now) they might have to move one to improve the offense which struggled mightily in the playoffs. I would sell my house for Pietrangelo, and much more actually. He would be the player the Flyers build around for many many years, and he is a true #1 in the making(if he isn't there already.) It's very unlikely they move him, but problems negotiating a new contract(length), wanting too much, teams direction, everything comes into contract negotiations. Hope that they have some issues getting him locked up like Weber.

Now I already discussed my deal I would try to work out with Anaheim. I love Ryan, and wouldn't wait till his offensive peak years are gone before we get him as a UFA(if we even do). You make sure you can grab him with a trade, but Carchidi mentioned there is some worry about playing for his hometown team. I really worry about that myself, he would improve that top line immensely. Ryan-Giroux-Voracek is such a sexy top line to have for 4-5 years. If you have an oppurtunity to improve your club, you do it. Never wait and hope a player comes here via free agency.

Now I still really like Sbisa's potential and he is still extremely young for a defender. We all know the Flyers like him, we drafted the kid. We saw the potential in him. It makes sense for a Sbisa+ for Coburn if Anaheim is looking for a player with what they know he will provide. Sbisa is still going through the tough growing pains as a young defender. You never know either, they could have soured on his potential and other teams like what they see still. We see that happen so many times over the years.

Now I don't think we make good trade partners with Washington. They are in our division next year, and will become heated rivals. This summer might be the one time we have a chance to make a deal, but I don't think we are good partners.

Vacouver has been discussed endlessly since their early exit haha.

All in all, I think the Flyers will make a big splash. People are saying they don't believe this team is near contention, I disagree. They are a select few pieces away from being there. A #1 defenseman is the biggest glare. If we can acquire one through trade(yes for Couts) I would make the deal. Flyers, as we know, can develop forwards. Give to get, and Laughton seems like he is no joke. I am not saying he will immediately replace Couts, but can step in and ease the pain. Also a little bit more production from the expensive goalie would be helpful too.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:23 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
I've been saying exactly what you just did for awhile so I agree. We have teams with early exits, internal budgets, needs for a shake up, etc....

St Louis is the first place I look to honestly. Timmy P mentioned an offersheet, I wouldn't go that way. If we are serious about trying to get Shatty or Pietrangelo(I think the Flyers value Piety much more) try and trade for them. Don't low ball them like Weber, but Poile's counter offer was just outright embarrassing. He had the right to do that though.

People said it's a pipe dream like Weber, but that dream almost became reality last year. I know it's a long shot, but you have to explore every possibility to improve this club. St Louis has three top pairing defenders, and with that internal budget(which many Blues fans think they spend to the cap, I still don't see it right now) they might have to move one to improve the offense which struggled mightily in the playoffs. I would sell my house for Pietrangelo, and much more actually. He would be the player the Flyers build around for many many years, and he is a true #1 in the making(if he isn't there already.) It's very unlikely they move him, but problems negotiating a new contract(length), wanting too much, teams direction, everything comes into contract negotiations. Hope that they have some issues getting him locked up like Weber.

Now I already discussed my deal I would try to work out with Anaheim. I love Ryan, and wouldn't wait till his offensive peak years are gone before we get him as a UFA(if we even do). You make sure you can grab him with a trade, but Carchidi mentioned there is some worry about playing for his hometown team. I really worry about that myself, he would improve that top line immensely. Ryan-Giroux-Voracek is such a sexy top line to have for 4-5 years. If you have an oppurtunity to improve your club, you do it. Never wait and hope a player comes here via free agency.

Now I still really like Sbisa's potential and he is still extremely young for a defender. We all know the Flyers like him, we drafted the kid. We saw the potential in him. It makes sense for a Sbisa+ for Coburn if Anaheim is looking for a player with what they know he will provide. Sbisa is still going through the tough growing pains as a young defender. You never know either, they could have soured on his potential and other teams like what they see still. We see that happen so many times over the years.

Now I don't think we make good trade partners with Washington. They are in our division next year, and will become heated rivals. This summer might be the one time we have a chance to make a deal, but I don't think we are good partners.

Vacouver has been discussed endlessly since their early exit haha.

All in all, I think the Flyers will make a big splash. People are saying they don't believe this team is near contention, I disagree. They are a select few pieces away from being there. A #1 defenseman is the biggest glare. If we can acquire one through trade(yes for Couts) I would make the deal. Flyers, as we know, can develop forwards. Give to get, and Laughton seems like he is no joke. I am not saying he will immediately replace Couts, but can step in and ease the pain. Also a little bit more production from the expensive goalie would be helpful too.
I think the flyers will make a splash as well. Trading Couts read and coburn for pieteangelo Ryan and sbisa would be amazing, but that seems a little far fetched. We would be getting the three best players. Sbisa is not far off from coburn and will likely be better. Ryan is way more valuable than read since reads cap hit will be going up after this season. And a number one defenseman is way more valuable in this market than a highly talented center that has only been used in a shutdown role. For these trades to happen we probably wouldn't have 1st round picks for the next seven years. But I hope you are right.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
I think the flyers will make a splash as well. Trading Couts read and coburn for pieteangelo Ryan and sbisa would be amazing, but that seems a little far fetched. We would be getting the three best players. Sbisa is not far off from coburn and will likely be better. Ryan is way more valuable than read since reads cap hit will be going up after this season. And a number one defenseman is way more valuable in this market than a highly talented center that has only been used in a shutdown role. For these trades to happen we probably wouldn't have 1st round picks for the next seven years. But I hope you are right.
Oh yes, don't get me wrong, I don't think we do all those deals. Just some possibilities I would look at once the dust settles for these clubs after disappointing playoff exits.

I would be happy with just one of those deals. I target St Louis first though.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:45 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Oh yes, don't get me wrong, I don't think we do all those deals. Just some possibilities I would look at once the dust settles for these clubs after disappointing playoff exits.

I would be happy with just one of those deals. I target St Louis first though.
Oh ok. That makes more sense. I would target St.Louis first as well since it would fill the biggest need. I definitely think Holmgren makes a big trade since he always seems to do that. I have been of the opinion that we should keep Giroux, Couts, Voracek, Simmonds, B. Schenn, and L. Schenn and make everyone else available for the right trade. But if Couts could get us Pietrangelo I would do it, but I don't think I would do it for Bouwmeester, Shattenkirk, Yandle or any of the other guys that are available but aren't #1 defenseman.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Prongo
Beer

What if St Louis does think about trading Piety but asks for Voracek? That would be a scary proposal. The only thing making me think they would want Couts is they get a play making 2nd line center who has the ability to put the puck in the net.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
What if St Louis does think about trading Piety but asks for Voracek? That would be a scary proposal. The only thing making me think they would want Couts is they get a play making 2nd line center who has the ability to put the puck in the net.
I wouldn't think twice about dealing Voracek for Pietrangelo, depending on what else is going to St. Louis.

Closed Thread