HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Stastny

Old
05-12-2013, 05:24 PM
forsbergavs32

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Stastny for Oshie would be my preference to be honest, we can sign someone like Gordon for a third line center.

I don't mind that Berglund + Rattie deal either but it isn't ideal, I've seen you guys talk about Perron , and I've also seen people say that hes been a liability quite often. To the point where he needs to be benched.

Too focused on offense, and trying to do too much himself while turning over the puck if I remember right.

IMO, Oshie would complete the Landeskog - O'Reilly line perfectly. All three of them play the same type of hard game with good to great defensive ability.

Edit:

I know Oshie is on your 'prefer not to move' list, but he fits our main need the most. Colorado is going to look dumb as hell unless they get a very good piece for Stastny, especially when he starts putting up a 70 point pace with a fresh start and better line mates.

Obviously any team paying for him is going to be hoping he does exactly that. 55-60 point center for a 55-60 point winger is already a win for the team getting the center anyways.
I was thinking Oshie would be ideal as well, Oshie for Stastny + 3rd or something like that

forsbergavs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
I don't think we should have to add in a Stastny/Oshie deal.

Stastny has been bad when you compare his production to his salary but overall his numbers aren't that bad. In his worst season (statistically), he had 21 goals and 53 points. If the Blues or any other team that's interested can negotiate a reasonable long-term extension with Stastny, he should have good value. IMO, more value than Oshie.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:33 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
Dion Phaneuf for Paul Stastny?

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
I'd take this before all the forward packages that have been offered.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:41 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Just say NO to Phaneuf.

05-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Just say NO to Phaneuf.
If you play him 22 minutes a game, he's a very good defenceman to have.

If you play him 27 minutes a game, he'll **** up.

Not a #1 or 2 defenceman or a captain on a contender but a very good #3 defenceman.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:19 AM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Done deal! I've been offering this to fans for a year.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:38 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

No thanks on Dion Phaneuf.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Gross

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:49 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Phaneuf gets waaay too much crap. He is a very good top pairing defenseman despite having no decent partner to play with who is at his level. A lot like EJ.

RobinDIF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:54 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Phaneuf gets waaay too much crap. He is a very good top pairing defenseman despite having no decent partner to play with who is at his level. A lot like EJ.
He is a donkey who will ultimately make the wrong decision the majority of the time. Blessed with tremendous natural ability, but incapable of reading the game at an elite level. Think a better version of Ed Jovanovski. The definition of a Hockey Retard.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:09 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
He is a donkey who will ultimately make the wrong decision the majority of the time. Blessed with tremendous natural ability, but incapable of reading the game at an elite level. Think a better version of Ed Jovanovski. The definition of a Hockey Retard.
I do not agree, I think he has a top pairing defenseman who fits our profile good with him being a LD, and Stastny is certainly expandable. I would even give them Stastny and more for Phaneuf if they wanted to make that trade.

I'm just hoping Stastny can bring a top 4 defenseman, if it got us Phaneuf I would be over the moon.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:10 AM
chet1926

If we were to deal Stastny, I think the best trading partner would be St Louis. Unfortunately we are in the same division now so that gets complicated. St louis is looking for a solid top 2 line center, the Avs need a top 6 winger and defensive help. A deal based around either Perron or Oshie for Stastny seems like it would be a good fit for both teams.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
I do not agree, I think he has a top pairing defenseman who fits our profile good with him being a LD, and Stastny is certainly expandable. I would even give them Stastny and more for Phaneuf if they wanted to make that trade.

I'm just hoping Stastny can bring a top 4 defenseman, if it got us Phaneuf I would be over the moon.
Yeesh. The Avs would regret that one in no time. Stastny+? Awful.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:40 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huis Clos View Post
Yeesh. The Avs would regret that one in no time. Stastny+? Awful.
I don't think Stastny can bring back anything close to Phaneuf.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:32 AM
TatteredTornNFrayed
ocelot spleens, ...

Thank goodness Sackic is running this organization instead of all of the people on this board.

TatteredTornNFrayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:46 AM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:
If you play him 22 minutes a game, he's a very good defenceman to have.

If you play him 27 minutes a game, he'll **** up.

Not a #1 or 2 defenceman or a captain on a contender but a very good #3 defenceman.
I know this may not be the right place to post this, but this definition reminds me an awful lot like EJ. I mean, it fits perfectly in my books

WornWithPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:49 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by WornWithPride View Post
I know this may not be the right place to post this, but this definition reminds me an awful lot like EJ. I mean, it fits perfectly in my books
Actually, I feel the _exact opposite_ with Erik Johnson.

I feel he plays better with more minutes and added responsibility. I think his worst hockey is played when he's around 20 minutes and spending too much time on the bench dissecting his last shifts. Needs to get back out there on a consistent basis and that's when he's at his best.

To each their own, just found that surprising as I feel EJ is one of those exact opposite guys who thrive with more ice-time.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:57 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:

I feel he plays better with more minutes and added responsibility. I think his worst hockey is played when he's around 20 minutes and spending too much time on the bench dissecting his last shifts. Needs to get back out there on a consistent basis and that's when he's at his best.

To each their own, just found that surprising as I feel EJ is one of those exact opposite guys who thrive with more ice-time.
I agree. EJ plays best when he is given 24-26 minutes. Hopefully the next coach sees this and really leans on him to carry the load. If it turns out he can't handle it, then we at least know what he is at that point and can move on. I think it is very possible with a new coach that EJ has a break out year.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:58 AM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:

Ya and honestly, I'm really not a EJ hater. I have mixed emotions of him, because sometimes I get real high watching him play, and then I get disappointed. Really though, I hope you are right.

For Stastny:
He's better than a third line center, (and so is ROR), but I hate trading a player when his value is down. He's so much better than what we are seeing. His contract is up this year, and its sad to say, but I expect a really strong year from him because of this. I say, and this is very likely what will happen, to keep him, at very least until the deadline, and depending on his play, resign him. The Avs won't be able to try and cut cash though if they want to resign him, especially since they wasted 4M on DJones. Also, Sakic said: Built from goaltending, to defence, then up the middle. Never mentioning wingers. I think he knows where our strength is, and with SJones, we just need to surround players. The core is here.

WornWithPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:05 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
For Stastny:
He's better than a third line center, (and so is ROR), but I hate trading a player when his value is down. He's so much better than what we are seeing. His contract is up this year, and its sad to say, but I expect a really strong year from him because of this. I say, and this is very likely what will happen, to keep him, at very least until the deadline, and depending on his play, resign him. The Avs won't be able to try and cut cash though if they want to resign him, especially since they wasted 4M on DJones. Also, Sakic said: Built from goaltending, to defence, then up the middle. Never mentioning wingers. I think he knows where our strength is, and with SJones, we just need to surround players. The core is here.
Can we realistically expect Stastny to bounce back this year if he's the third best center? That means he still won't get the offensive minutes he could on another team and his numbers and value could continue to drop. Maybe teams see what he did at the WC and come calling.

Unless they move him to wing in the top 6, which I'm not against, then I have a hard time seeing him bounce back because there's only so much ice time and quality wingers to go around.

I don't think this three line attack can work when there aren't good enough wingers for all 3 of them. I'm at the point where I'd rather stack the top 6 and build those lines around Duchene and O'Reilly.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:18 AM
marioni

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I agree. EJ plays best when he is given 24-26 minutes. Hopefully the next coach sees this and really leans on him to carry the load. If it turns out he can't handle it, then we at least know what he is at that point and can move on. I think it is very possible with a new coach that EJ has a break out year.
He gets more ice-time when he's playing best.

I agree it's time for him to have a break out year. He's had stretches when he played like a beast, now it's time to show it for a full season.

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:20 AM
marioni

Quote:
For Stastny:
He's better than a third line center, (and so is ROR), but I hate trading a player when his value is down. He's so much better than what we are seeing. His contract is up this year, and its sad to say, but I expect a really strong year from him because of this.
Not to mention the added bonus of he'll be fighting with Radar for the #2 center job. Winner gets a new contract. Loser gets traded to Calgary.

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

I don't want to trade Staz until we have ROR signed to an extension.
We can't afford to lose both.
But once ROR is re-signed, we can trade Staz or move him to wing.

Bubba Thudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:27 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
I'd do the Phaneuf deal. We'd get Elisha Cuthbert in that package.
So you want thirds?

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote