Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

You guys like LEWIS ? I DONT.

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2006, 01:38 PM
SAVEBYTHOMAS

vCash: 500
ive always been an advid reader of these boards but i never actually registered or had an extreme urge to reply to anything until right now. this is the type of thing that really gets to my nerves. first off, if one is this angry during a PRE season game id hate to see what your like during a playoff loss. secondly, im surprised ur old enough to remember the lewis hit on kluzak. the impression i got after reading how PISSED off u were i would assume your 14. why would you want bergeron and kessel and savard to play alot? to risk the chance of getting injured so when the regular season come they miss significant time? grant it obviously they have to play some minutes, but we know what bergie and company bring to the table. we have to look at these other guys who are fighting for a roster spot, and give them more ice time. hence PRE season. when the regular season comes around and half way through their still struggling and lacking chemistry, then u can repost this.

Old
09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
chippa13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by omr17 View Post
Although I don't hate Lewis, put me in the 'not sold on him' category. He had two good regular seasons with a VERY talented Detroit team which amount to two poor post seasons in Detroit with that same VERY talented team (which is ultimately why he got canned). Was he successful as an assistant - sure. Who wasn't a successful assistant with the great Scotty Bowman as their head coach?

That said, I'm not going to say he is a bad coach - I'm just not sold on the guy yet. He did some real good things with some of the young talent in Detroit and not so good things with others (his repeated play of Kuznetsov on D was always baffling to me - quite possibly the worst d-man to play more than 10 games in the NHL of the past 20 years...maybe longer). He is the Bruins guy for now - and I think you have to give him at least 2 years with the team to see if he can do something with it.

If I recall correctly, those Detroit teams were let down by some mediocre goaltending in the playoffs.

Old
09-28-2006, 02:09 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa13 View Post
If I recall correctly, those Detroit teams were let down by some mediocre goaltending in the playoffs.
Yep...

I wonder how many people commenting about his performence with the Wings actually watched any of those games. Of course they fail to mention that Mike Babcock fared no better. Look what he did with the Ducks the year they went to the finals. Oddly enough he was coaching the Ducks when they eliminated Lewis's Wings in the playoffs.

One of those years Lewis's Wings saw Stevie Y play only 16 games. The other Manny Legace was their winningest goalie. That was the year both Cujo and Hasek spent long stretches inuried.

Old
09-28-2006, 02:20 PM
BBFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHockey33 View Post
yeah itd be nice to have a coach like "that guy in carolina"...that won a stanley cup...laviolette...yeah he seems like a guy we should have...didnt he coach in the minors and win a calder cup a few years ago? hmmmm what organization was that with? wow they should have kept him...whatever team that was...
I was furious when Boston didn't promote Laviollette from Providence. I still rank that failure in the Bruins all time screw up top ten. He's a very good coach and has done wonders with Carolina.

Old
09-28-2006, 02:21 PM
jahbrations

The 3rd line got so much time because it was the first time they all played together.

Jurcina left the game injured in the 1st period, that left Boston with 5 defenseman.

Fluto's blog mentions that Lewis put the team through a brutal practice this morning.

Old
09-28-2006, 02:38 PM
bb74

Perspective - like first 20 games
Patience - like take a breather
Perspicacity - like are you a fan or a fake

get over it - you have a coach a team and a season in front of you - get on the bus and enjoy the ride.

Old
09-28-2006, 03:01 PM
BostonHockey33

Send a message via AIM to BostonHockey33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFan View Post
I was furious when Boston didn't promote Laviollette from Providence. I still rank that failure in the Bruins all time screw up top ten. He's a very good coach and has done wonders with Carolina.
yeah i would have to agree

Old
09-28-2006, 03:03 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil the thrill View Post
ive always been an advid reader of these boards but i never actually registered or had an extreme urge to reply to anything until right now. this is the type of thing that really gets to my nerves. first off, if one is this angry during a PRE season game id hate to see what your like during a playoff loss. secondly, im surprised ur old enough to remember the lewis hit on kluzak. the impression i got after reading how PISSED off u were i would assume your 14. why would you want bergeron and kessel and savard to play alot? to risk the chance of getting injured so when the regular season come they miss significant time? grant it obviously they have to play some minutes, but we know what bergie and company bring to the table. we have to look at these other guys who are fighting for a roster spot, and give them more ice time. hence PRE season. when the regular season comes around and half way through their still struggling and lacking chemistry, then u can repost this.
welcome to the board - just wait until they lose 3 in a row this season

Old
09-28-2006, 03:06 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
welcome to the board - just wait until they lose 3 in a row this season
Still waiting for the Mike Sullivan was a good coach post. I'd say no later then mid December.

Old
09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
FutureConsiderations

Is it a full moon out or something?

Old
09-28-2006, 03:11 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Still waiting for the Mike Sullivan was a good coach post. I'd say no later then mid December.
i think he was a good coach, although certainly had his flaws. i respect the guy big time for caring as much as he did - there's your post...don't even have to wait for month 12.

ps - lewis and sully are similar - you'll see it.

Old
09-28-2006, 03:12 PM
SToMper!

What if Lewis had Jumbo Joe to add to this line-up?

Old
09-28-2006, 03:18 PM
stick9

Quote:
i think he was a good coach, although certainly had his flaws. i respect the guy big time for caring as much as he did - there's your post...don't even have to wait for month 12.

ps - lewis and sully are similar - you'll see it.
Bah, I should have bet the under.

Similar, in what regard?

Old
09-28-2006, 03:19 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

I really liked the hiring and think he's gonna be a great coach, and is a great fit. He's lead a pretty spirited camp, and ran the boys into the ground today as a result of last nights efforts. He's gonna make them accountable. He may not be firey but he's not gonna sit on his hands either. Way too early for this kind of post. The team hasn't gelled yet they've been together for like a month or less and these lines have been together for less than a week.. you gotta give it some time.

Old
09-28-2006, 03:21 PM
stick9

Quote:
accountable
There's a word we haven't heard in awhile.

Old
09-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Westfield Eagle*

Send a message via AIM to Westfield Eagle*
What a ridiculous thread

I hate to make this comparison, but a lot of Patriot fans weren't excited when Belichick was hired. Enough said.

Belichick and Lewis coached under a legend for many years. Both "failed" in their first go-round as head coach. I'm not saying Lewis is the next great coach in this league, but to call him out as of right now is just absurd.

Old
09-28-2006, 03:29 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Bah, I should have bet the under.

Similar, in what regard?
both defensive coaches - both players' coaches - both not terribly excited about the rough stuff - both very technical, x/o types.

one difference you notice right away is that sullivan was much, much tighter and more tense than lewis. too serious of a guy - he worked his arse off though, and i'll always respect him for that. lewis also seems to be more comfortable with the media, which will help him a lot.

Old
09-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Bojakees*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergy and Boyes View Post
I really liked the hiring and think he's gonna be a great coach, and is a great fit. He's lead a pretty spirited camp, and ran the boys into the ground today as a result of last nights efforts. He's gonna make them accountable. He may not be firey but he's not gonna sit on his hands either. Way too early for this kind of post. The team hasn't gelled yet they've been together for like a month or less and these lines have been together for less than a week.. you gotta give it some time.
Funny, Cause I did not love the hire, but did'nt hate it either. Till last night.....I saw at least 50 Wing games that he coached and most of his playoff games.......And there were times I remember scratching my head at the way he coached. His style so to speak....He seems to never want to go for the throat. FINISH. He is passive, and looks lost to me at times. I remember saying this guy looks completely lost.....And last night after a penalty they showed him....And there it was.....That LOST look. The blank stare.......He had one hell of a hip check but I think he is in over his head. I know its way to early for this type of post...I get that....But not when I saw what I saw last night. It was deja vous to the Duck playoff series for me...I am willing to not bring it up again but I tell ya....IMO, which I am entitled to....This guy loses his shine quickly and it gets stormy in the room. Thats my take.

Old
09-28-2006, 03:59 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEKACUP View Post
Balanced......Yea....I'd call you're fourth liners playing almost as much as you're 1st liners Is balanced....Not smart...but balanced.

Creative....Depends on weather forcing Kessel with Bergeron and Boyes (NO GOALS YET, EITHER OF THEM HMMMM) instead of leaving Sturm with them (That line was creative) Is Creative or just plain dumb. Creative is fine....Breaking up a line that average 2.87 points per game so you can fit a rookie in....Is dumb...Not creative.....

Creative would be to see if Kessel and Kalus could have continued their pre season chemistry and then finding them a center...THAT would be creative....not breaking up our best line.

Knowledgable.....Whats he done so knowledgable ???....Has he done anything inventive or out of the box that proves his knowledge ? Can you give me an example that I may have missed ???

Articulate.....And where does articulation make you a good hockey coach ?....Jim Leyland is not that articulate....Yet the Tigers are excellent for the first time since they fired their articulate last manager named Trammell....BOY that LINDY RUFF sure is an articulate Goon eh ?......I am sorry, I just have'nt seen to many cups won because of articulation. Being articulate is fine...Just dont know where it fits in here.....

Positive....The guy was fired last season from perhaps the best place to coach in the whole league. He was mentored by the best. Had money to spend, Had presidents cup talent, had fans, and tradition, and atmosphere....Yet positively did not do well Why did Charelli think he would be better here ?........Whats he been positive about. How hard is it to say, Its nice having Chara, Bergeron is a bright young talent, Boyes future is great....yada yada yada....

I think you need to apply some different adjectives that may be more appropriate at this time.......
we are on different continents here- in the words of Dave Mason, 'We Just Disagree' and I'll leave it at that.

I just want to add (reason for my edit) Dineen was my choice or Marc Crawford if they were going outside (you dislike Lewis for Kluzak, you must really have angst for Crawford who was the last person to make contact with Levielle)....I am in wait see mode on Lewis- he doesn't float my boat, but neither did Belichick or Francona. It's preseason and even if it was a regular game so what? Who's on every day- even SB Patriots at 11-1 got beat by Miami at 2-10. Ted Williams struck out over 500 times. Jimmy Johnson has said he has had bad hair days (that one I'm skeptical)....to me Dave Lewis is Terry Francona. He may suck, he may be great. I'm willing to wait atleast a year before I call for his head or hist 'stache.

Last edited by DKH: 09-28-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old
09-28-2006, 04:25 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
welcome, actually this is a good thread- it's a solid 'preseason' thread- gets guys into the name calling and board rage (road rage, board rage )...speaking of Board Rage- where is Jeff From Maine? I hope Jeff doesn't think he's to big for preseaon threads

Old
09-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Shinny

Quote:
i'm surprised it took this long for this post.

lewis has a mustache and probably would wear a mask (snicker) if he were playing in the NHL now. i bet he'll play the mary K's too much, never dress brookbank, and use tenkrap constantly.

Nugs, have you relocated to Vermont by any chance?

When will you start the "No need to panic people, just give him 20 games please" like last season with Zhamnov. I think he was really starting to turn the corner when he was injured.

My money on the first panic thread of the regular season is "Send Andrew Alberts to Providence."

Old
09-28-2006, 05:08 PM
omr17

Quote:
Yep...

I wonder how many people commenting about his performence with the Wings actually watched any of those games. Of course they fail to mention that Mike Babcock fared no better. Look what he did with the Ducks the year they went to the finals. Oddly enough he was coaching the Ducks when they eliminated Lewis's Wings in the playoffs.

One of those years Lewis's Wings saw Stevie Y play only 16 games. The other Manny Legace was their winningest goalie. That was the year both Cujo and Hasek spent long stretches inuried.
Who cares what the reason was why the Wings failed - they failed and that ultimately is going to fall on your HC. The year the Wings were swept by the Ducks (2003) wasn't because of Cujo, it was because they didn't score. Detroit scored 6 goals in 4 games which includes 3 periods of OT. Babcock outcoached Lewis in numerous situations throughout the series.

Having Legace in net isn't a bad thing either. He's a good goalie - I know this isn't about Lewis but I'm surprised Detroit was so eager to jettison him after the year (especially for Hasek). If Detroit coulda played D and protected the lead in the playoffs last year, they would've beat the Oil.

But back to Lewis - the jury is still out on him for me. Maybe he's better suited to coaching a team that isn't full of superstars that can basically run itself to wins throughout the season. Like I said, I think you need to give him 2 years to figure that one out...

Old
09-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Bojakees*

Quote:
There was nobody fighting for an ice spot last night...That was pretty much the team.....after the first six, Primeau, Ax, Mowers, Donovon are pretty much on the team.....Tenkrat did not look bad, and if Kalus was fighting he would have played him more............So you're PRE season theory means zilch. I base what I said on watching him coach as a Winger...He was questionable in a great atmosphere...I guess you know he is guaranteed to win cause you know what Bergie and company can do...Yea...we saw what they could do...It was the rest of the guys who needed motivation last night it was not there. last night It was a coach getting outcoached and outsystem-ed while having superior talent. Did you even see the game ? They had no sustained attacks, the passing was pretty poor, the hitting was retalitory at best, and they made the same mistakes in the third as they did in the first.....I wont have to repeat the post...I bet many others will be by January.

Last edited by Bojakees*: 09-28-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old
09-28-2006, 05:15 PM
chippa13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
Nugs, have you relocated to Vermont by any chance?

When will you start the "No need to panic people, just give him 20 games please" like last season with Zhamnov. I think he was really starting to turn the corner when he was injured.

My money on the first panic thread of the regular season is "Send Andrew Alberts to Providence."

Half right, the headline will read,"Andrew Alberts sent to Providence".

Old
09-28-2006, 05:16 PM
SPICOLI*

lewismug09252006.jpg

images.jpg

The similarity is striking.

Closed Thread