HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (2013-14 schedule in post #973)

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2013, 10:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yep. Shame his spot got overtaken.
They'll probably be going back to him at some point. Other than getting the wins, Patterson wasn't really earth shattering. Seems like most of their fans feel more comfortable with Stolarz in net. Most of them even felt he should have started tonight's game.

Old
05-13-2013, 11:02 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

46 games this year - 38 of them coming in the last couple of months. Stolarz is getting a breather before the Memorial Cup tournament. He'll be fine. Next season will be the big season in which he'll start and play in a lot of games. Not worried about Stolarz at all.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:12 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
and they are off to the bridge city. i will say this, the friday night game, ed v portland, omg, that coulda been the best game i have seen all year. god those kids were moving. i got tired watching them. i knew portland was gonna destroy edmonton in game 6, and boy did they ever. 5-1. that winterhawks team, that is the one team i would fear the most at the memorial cup. they are good. and angry. they will be very difficult to stop. and with these long term sanctions coming up, these guys just nail it at the draft. seth jones is gonna be done as a winterhawk at the memorial cup. portland isnt sweating it, cuz seths brother is gonna be a hawk, next season. he is 5-11, 175 lbs, and he is projected to be 6-5,6-6, 220 lbs when he is done growing. and although seth is a good hitter,checker, his lil bro just loves to hit, more than seth does.
Seth's litte brother Caleb is playing for the the loaded 97's US Developemental Team next year. When his two year commitment is up he'll probably be in Portland similar to Seth's path.

They'll be okay though. They'll continue to draft high-end Americans in the later rounds. They're the only team in the WHL that's been successful in getting Minnesota kids to go there off the get go.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-14-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old
05-14-2013, 12:45 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Seth's litte brother Caleb is playing for the the loaded 97's US Developemental Team next year. When his two year commitment is up he'll probably be in Portland similar to Seth's path.

They'll be okay though. They'll continue to draft high-end Americans in the later rounds. Their the only team in the WHL that's been successful in getting Minnesota kids to go there off the get go.
I'm not sure how the CHL works in terms of drafts and signings, etc. but will Portland's issues come into effect? Didn't they get absolutely hammered with disciplinary actions for paying players?

Old
05-14-2013, 12:56 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I'm not sure how the CHL works in terms of drafts and signings, etc. but will Portland's issues come into effect? Didn't they get absolutely hammered with disciplinary actions for paying players?
They lost draft picks and got fines much like Windsor in the OHL. With Portland's and Windsor's cases they both established themselves as top programs in the CHL and both are close US hotbeds (California for Portland & Michigan for Windsor) for talent so they can still pull in these kids on name brand alone.

A lot of the top American kids have other options like playing for the US team and in the USHL. Playing in these leagues they're able to keep their eligibility for the NCAA too. Most of these kids won't willingly commit to the CHL drafts so they get snatched up in the later rounds in the drafts. It's mostly the big name teams like London, Kitchener, Windsor, Portland, etc. who can convince them to go up there and play. So they get kids who are 1st round talents going in the late rounds because of this.

Even with the lost of draft picks Windsor still took a bunch of flyers on American players with the little picks they did have.

The OHL also doesn't have to contend with College programs like BC and Boston U (QMJHL territory) and Minnesota (WHL territory).

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-14-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old
05-14-2013, 11:55 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 50
Defenseman Mark Alt...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...2#.UZJeICTD_IU

Quote:
Don't Overlook Alt

Acquired from the Carolina Hurricanes along with goaltender Brian Boucher in exchange for out-of-favor minor leaguer Luke Pither, defenseman Mark Alt joined the Adirondack Phantoms for the final six games of the 2012-13 American Hockey League regular season. Alt's tryout contract with the Phantoms and NHL entry level deal with the Flyers (which kicks in next season) marked the end of the 21-year-old's collegiate career after three seasons at the University of Minnesota.

Paired with veteran defenseman Andreas Lilja, Alt impressed with his both his defensive ability and puck skills. Lilja, who will be returning to Sweden next season after compiling 580 NHL regular season games and 66 playoff matches during his career, gave Alt a glowing recommendation after their short time working together.

“I think he’s going to be something special," said Lilja to The Sartogian. "I think he’s really, really good.”
Quote:
Alt presents an intriguing package of skills. Although he is not the smoothest of skaters, he is a hybrid of a puck-mover and defensive defenseman who makes a good first pass and does not shy away from contact. He has a heavy righthanded shot but can work on releasing it faster and more accurately.

Alt's offensive numbers in his junior season at Minnesota took a step backward from the previous year. As a sophomore, he had five goals and 22 points in 43 games. This year, he did not score a goal and had seven assists in 39 games. However, what the raw numbers don't show is that he took on bigger defensive responsibilities.

With fellow junior Nate Schmidt (now with the Hershey Bears) and sophomore Detroit Red Wings draftee Ben Marshall carrying the load offensively, Alt focused primarily on continuing to refine his all-around game. When he joined the Phantoms, Alt had one goal and one assist.

Alt is probably not going to be in the mix to seriously compete for an NHL job with the Flyers out of training camp next year. He needs some AHL seasoning. Even so, his name deserves to be mentioned among the stronger candidates to eventually land an NHL job.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Tripod

Quote:
It's the first time in the history of this tournament that potentially the first three picks in the upcoming draft will be playing in it.

Good tournament for draft eligible players and some players already drafted:

Portland:
D Seth Jones (2013)
F Nicolas Petan (2013)
F Oliver Bjorkstrand (2013)
F Ty Rattie (STL)
F Chase De Leo (2014)
F Brendan Leipsic (NSH)
D Derrick Pouliot (PIT)
F Taylor Leier (PHI)
F Keegan Iverson (2014)
F Paul Bittner (2015)

Halifax:
F Nathan MacKinnon (2013)
F Jonathan Drouin (2013)
G Zachary Fucale (2013)
F Martin Frk (DET)
F Stephen MacAulay (St.L)
D Konrad Abeltshauser (SJ)
F Brent Andrews (Nash)

London:
F Max Domi (2013)
F Bo Horvat (2013)
D Nikita Zadorov (2013)
G Anthony Stolarz (PHI)
F Ryan Rupert (TOR)
F Josh Anderson (CBJ)
F Alex Broadhurst (CHI)
F Seth Griffith (BOS)
D Olli Maatta (PIT)
D Scott Harrington (PIT)

Saskatoon:
D Dalton Thrower (MTL)
D Duncan Siemens (COL)
F Lukas Sutter (WPG)
Added a few more to Halifax.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:28 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Encouraging...we need as many D prospects as possible. Sounds like he might turn out to be an NHL regular with some AHL seasoning..

Funny how picking up Boosh was essentially a favor...Holmgren of course called him insurance. If Alt pans out boy did he rip Carolina.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The Flyers look like they are building some decent depth in the pipeline. If they remain patient, and not rip up the team to win a cup next year, thy should be a force in two years.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:07 PM
LegionOfDoom91

London was chosen to be the host city for the Memioral Cup next year. It will be their third straight year being in the tournament.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:06 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I mentioned before that Alt was starting to rebound and could really become something decent. He was really raw coming out of HS and is now still really raw coming out of the NCAA. College was not necessarily kind to him, but he's definitely got potential. Some development within the Flyers organization can only help.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:13 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I mentioned before that Alt was starting to rebound and could really become something decent. He was really raw coming out of HS and is now still really raw coming out of the NCAA. College was not necessarily kind to him, but he's definitely got potential. Some development within the Flyers organization can only help.
I was really excited when they picked him up. I was just confused why CAR gave up on him. Family that watched him play at MIN said he had really nice tools just didn't put up the pts.

They thought he was every but as good as Skeji (sp) who went in rd 1 last year.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I think they may have a diamond in the rough.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:30 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I was really excited when they picked him up. I was just confused why CAR gave up on him. Family that watched him play at MIN said he had really nice tools just didn't put up the pts.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I think they may have a diamond in the rough.
I have no idea why Carolina would trade an incredibly raw second rounder who was still in college developing his game. Even if Alt amounts to only a bottom pair guy at the NHL level, it's still a lot to give up for a career AHL guy. Alt is still likely two full seasons in the AHL away from showing what he's got though, and is still a project to say the least.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:41 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

That really doesn't mean anything. Skjei was only 18 this year and was drafted as a project with potential. The NCAA is more of an older player league.

I'm not knocking Alt, that's just not the best thing to go by.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:45 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
That really doesn't mean anything. Skjei was only 18 this year and was drafted as a project with potential. The NCAA is more of an older player league.

That and Skjei was pretty disappointing this past year by most accounts.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:47 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I have no idea why Carolina would trade an incredibly raw second rounder who was still in college developing his game. Even if Alt amounts to only a bottom pair guy at the NHL level, it's still a lot to give up for a career AHL guy. Alt is still likely two full seasons in the AHL away from showing what he's got though, and is still a project to say the least.
The rumour floating about why Alt was dealt was because he didn't want to sign in Carolina.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:49 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The rumour floating about why Alt was dealt was because he didn't want to sign in Carolina.
I almost included that, but I had nothing to go on. It would seem to be the only reason why they would willingly give up on an unsigned guy that was always thought to be a long term project.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:53 PM
lancer247

Quote:

they were comparing their skills/ability at similar ages not at this time.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
they were comparing their skills/ability at similar ages not at this time.
Oh my fault then. I thought you meant both of them this year.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:02 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Oh my fault then. I thought you meant both of them this year.
I worded it poorly.

Hopefully, I can see some more Phantom games this season. I am finally excited about seeing the team the new prospects and Murray coaching them.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:19 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Was able to watch two games with Alt on the Phantoms. Thought he looked really good. Obviously gotta be careful calling him a future NHL stud , but I did like how he played. Was abit rough still, losing positioning and making mistakes using his athleticism to cover himself. Will need to learn and rely less on his athletic ability. Will help him become a better player.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:33 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Was able to watch two games with Alt on the Phantoms. Thought he looked really good. Obviously gotta be careful calling him a future NHL stud , but I did like how he played. Was abit rough still, losing positioning and making mistakes using his athleticism to cover himself. Will need to learn and rely less on his athletic ability. Will help him become a better player.
Same. I'll reserve judgment being as though he's only played a handful of pro games but he's def got some tools and for Pither (who was actually really good for Charlotte in limited games this year) it's an amazing pick up.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:35 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
He'll probably spend two seasons in the AHL. With that being said, he'll probably get a lot of time with Kevin McCarthy and Derian Hatcher. I can see Hatcher being a good influence on Alt and will probably help him simplify the game. The good news with Alt is that the athleticism is there and that he's got decent hockey IQ. That's half the battle. The other half is putting it all together and that's where Hatcher and McCarthy come in.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Curufinwe

Interview with Bourdon about his ongoing recovery from concussion symptoms.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=670514

Old
05-15-2013, 02:04 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Interview with Bourdon about his ongoing recovery from concussion symptoms.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=670514
Cause for guarded optimism. Thanks for posting this, Curufinwe.

Closed Thread