HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The James Reimer conundrum

Old
05-14-2013, 11:00 AM
I Am The Stig
SPACESHIP!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Problem is when someone is a product of the system the predecessors usually follow the same trend. Reimer has been better than all but 1 goalie (statistically) in all of the Leafs 90+ year history. He has been our best goalie since Belfour and all in between we're complete garbage even conn smythe winner Giguere who went on to play well after his tenure here.
Not to mention he played extremely well when he first came up when he played under Ron Wilson's system which consisted of leaving the goalie to dry on a nightly basis.

I Am The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:02 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYayo View Post
Reading the comments..seems a lot our on his side..but I just can't get excited about him..I can't quite put my finger on it...no matter if he plays 10 good games in a row then 1 bad one..I feel that the bad game is the real him and the good games were good team games that make him look better..
I know he's youngish at 25 and may get better...but I feel as much as you guys all blame the D for his Bad games..You don't give the credit to them for his good ones..

Look at systems and goalies..Bryzgalov looked amazing in Phoenix..then got paid big and looks terrible in Philly...Mike Smith looked average at best in Tampa and is now an All Star in Phoenix..I bet once he leaves the desert this year for big money he goes back to being almost average..
Brian Elliot..never anything exciting in Ottawa or Colorado...now the man in St Louis.

I put Reimer in a category with those guys..will only ever look as good or bad as the guys in front of him..not a guy that can make the guys in front of you look good or be in a game when they have no business being there on a regular basis
A good defensive team makes a goalie better. No argument.

Do you think the Leafs are currently a good defensive team?

Taking your argument a step further which goalie is not in the category of guys look as good as the team in front of them?

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:06 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

I have 100% confidence in Reimer being a capable NHL starting goaltender. If he learns to control his rebounds better, he will be much more then average.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Zyzz

I like Reimer but his rebound control is absolutely horrible. Time after time its his defence that bail him out.

Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:11 AM
The Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Believe View Post
I think the series ends at game 5 without him.

Last night was deflating for sure but i'm still comfortable with him in net. I think our goaltending woes may be a thing of the past thankfully.
Your correct, any other goalie starting in these playoffs would have shut the door in games 3-4 at home and the leafs would have won in 5. Where are these people getting off saying he was good? He stunk. He had two good games (5-6) and the rest he was mediocre. He's a back up goalie who has the ability to go on runs. There's too many fundamental issues with him. His glove is echl calibre, his rebounds.... Well ya know, he's awful when scrambling, has 0 composure and generates little confidence in his boys in front of him. Every save looks highlight worthy. Bring in a Vet, I'm done with this guy as the starter.

Last edited by Epictetus: 05-14-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: No need for the last sentence.
The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:13 AM
TYayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
A good defensive team makes a goalie better. No argument.

Do you think the Leafs are currently a good defensive team?

Taking your argument a step further which goalie is not in the category of guys look as good as the team in front of them?
I do think the Leafs have a decent defensive system right now..they allow a lot of shots but not a ton of good chances...(unless they are rebounds)

Goalies like Kipper pre this season...Craig Anderson...Luongo..Henrik

Also do you think that meltdown..where you can tell he was rattled will hurt his confidence going forward?

TYayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Peasy
apple CORes = SOFT

vCash: 960
He played amazing in game 5 and 6, game 7 was completely a team effort. You cannot let people just shoot pucks from the point like that.

Peasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Elever
Hth

We aren't gonna be able to get an elite goalie. What we MIGHT be able to do is upgrade from Reimer in which case we would be going from a good goalie to a slightly better goalie who's more established. To do that, we'd have to give up a 1st round pick maybe or a solid roster player. Is that upgrade worth it?

Imo no it's not, if Reimer was the problem then it would be but Reimer though he wasn't perfect, is not the reason we lost that series.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:21 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Elite goaltenders are so few and far between its a total crap shoot getting one. The Sens and Pens both drafted goalies high thinking they had the next elite tenders, well both of those guys made Reimer look elite this season.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Silent Knight
"Resigns" you sure?

There is no James Reimer conundrum, there is a D conundrum starting with Dion.

Silent Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:44 AM
RASHBEEP

marquee is too harsh on reimer, but he still makes some valid points. the defence has been a big problem for this team in years past, but i honestly can't say they were that bad this year. reimer's sv % is very impressive, but don't discredit the defence's role in that. reimer's done well to make me pretty comfortable moving forward, but he needs to improve. i think he can, but we'll see.

RASHBEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:51 AM
The Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy View Post
He played amazing in game 5 and 6, game 7 was completely a team effort. You cannot let people just shoot pucks from the point like that.
Actually clearing the front and allowing the goalie to see point shots clearly is exactly something you wanna do when hemmed in your zone. Force a point shot, get a save & freeze it. Prob with that is Reims can't freeze it and just leaves it for an opposing forward to jump on. Defencemen can't clear out all day AND chase into the corners. Sometimes the goalie needs to help his skaters. Only the tying goal was he impeded and tbh I wasn't impressed with his effort to get a look at it. Chars needed a chop to the leg

Old
05-14-2013, 11:56 AM
I Am The Stig
SPACESHIP!!

Everyone can agree that he needs to improve and that's the best thing about him being so young. When we had guys like Toskala and Gustavsson we were pretty much seeing them at their ceiling. With Reimer it can go either way. Either he's reached his peak or his ceiling is higher than it is now. But we won't know until next season and he plays more games. Due to his play though this season I am confident in him being the starter next year and showing whether he still has room to grow or not.

I Am The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:59 AM
spidergoalie

Reimer is fine. Yes he needs work on rebound controll but overall he is excellent, and will only get better.
The biggest issue is the Leafs inability to clear their zone.
Solve that one issue and we would all be in a much better mood today.

spidergoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:03 PM
colchar
The Keon Curse Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
Your correct, any other goalie starting in these playoffs would have shut the door in games 3-4 at home and the leafs would have won in 5.
Price refutes your argument. Fleury refutes your argument.

If Phaneuf hadn't made a boneheaded play in the first overtime game they wouldn't have been in this position in the first place.

Quote:
Where are these people getting off saying he was good? He stunk. He had two good games (5-6) and the rest he was mediocre. He's a back up goalie who has the ability to go on runs.

How do you fault Reimer for last night?

On one of the goals a Bruins player cruised through his crease and Franson followed him. In doing so, he cut right through Reimer's crease and, as Reimer went to his right to play the shot, his skate his Franson's which stopped his side to side motion in its tracks. He connected with Franson solidly enough that Franson fell over Reimer. Had Franson not impeded his movement there is every possibility that Reimer would have stopped that shot. And you would blame Reimer for that instead of Franson??? Did you even see what actually happened or are you just complaining as a matter of course?

What about the goal with Chara in front of the net and Phaneuf not going anywhere near him? There was a 6'9" guy parked an inch or two in front of Reimer as if he owned the damned parking spot and you fault Reimer? What a load of crap!

Even Johnny Bower, who knows a thing or fifteen about being a great playoff goalie, says that it took him a while to adjust to the playoffs and that Reimer will be fine once he gets some experience.

Quote:
he's awful when scrambling, has 0 composure and generates little confidence in his boys in front of him.
Do you even watch the games? Your comments would indicate that you do not.

Quote:
Bring in a Vet, I'm done with this guy as the starter.
WTF does being a Vet have to do with anything?

Quote:
Also I don't want a "church boy" in net
So now him being religious is an issue? Unbelievable.

Quote:
Nobody's afraid of Reimer except his teammates

What is frightening is that someone as completely and utterly clueless as you, and who obviously lacks any kind of critical or rational thinking skills whatsoever, is considered a fully functioning member of society.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Neas Olc
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Bring in a Vet, I'm done with this guy as the starter.
Quote:
Also I don't want a "church boy" in net
Wow and I thought I was a reactionary. Who is this guy?

Last edited by Neas Olc: 05-14-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Neas Olc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:06 PM
TSC*
KPD IS ADB

I'm sure he'll rebound from this.

TSC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Hotlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta View Post
Reimer's rebound control has gotten worse this year due to him changing his stance. He is the second youngest starting goalie in the NHL, give him time to improve. Last night was not his fault, he was left out to dry, all 4 goals were good goals and hard for any goalie.

Did anyone see how long his teammates held him when they lost and he was crying. This team is a family, and they let him down. This will only make the whole team stronger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamosko View Post

Reimer was not the problem, we finally have good goaltending and you guys still want to run him out of town?
I defended Reimer... St. Croix has developed a new stance for Reimer that has him more upright, this means he will be focusing on blocking shots more than catching them. Reimer will get softer equipment and learn to control his new stance and over time the rebounds won't be the problem. Don't know how I am "running him out of town."

Hotlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Offspring

Quote:
Did anyone see how long his teammates held him when they lost and he was crying. This team is a family, and they let him down. This will only make the whole team stronger.
I felt so bad for him, I could tell he was fighting back tears through his mask. The whole team deserved a better outcome, but especially Reimer and Kessel.

Offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Wonder Dan
Fairies Wear Boots

Send a message via Yahoo to Wonder Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSC View Post
I'm sure he'll rebound from this.
good one

Wonder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:36 PM
The Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Price refutes your argument. Fleury refutes your argument.

If Phaneuf hadn't made a boneheaded play in the first overtime game they wouldn't have been in this position in the first place.
I watched him do nothing to help himself see the play, I saw him unable to catch a bloody writer from the point when it was clear as day for hi, and then flop forward reaching for it when there's an opposing forward there ready to shoot. Sorry I just don't like what I see from him at all, and yes I think mental make up/personality plays a role in how a goalie is, he's too soft mentally. Tough dirty nasty guys like eddie the eagle and billy smith do, goalies need the attitude of a bulldog, not a collie.

How do you fault Reimer for last night?

On one of the goals a Bruins player cruised through his crease and Franson followed him. In doing so, he cut right through Reimer's crease and, as Reimer went to his right to play the shot, his skate his Franson's which stopped his side to side motion in its tracks. He connected with Franson solidly enough that Franson fell over Reimer. Had Franson not impeded his movement there is every possibility that Reimer would have stopped that shot. And you would blame Reimer for that instead of Franson??? Did you even see what actually happened or are you just complaining as a matter of course?

What about the goal with Chara in front of the net and Phaneuf not going anywhere near him? There was a 6'9" guy parked an inch or two in front of Reimer as if he owned the damned parking spot and you fault Reimer? What a load of crap!

Even Johnny Bower, who knows a thing or fifteen about being a great playoff goalie, says that it took him a while to adjust to the playoffs and that Reimer will be fine once he gets some experience.

Do you even watch the games? Your comments would indicate that you do not.

WTF does being a Vet have to do with anything?

So now him being religious is an issue? Unbelievable.

What is frightening is that someone as completely and utterly clueless as you, and who obviously lacks any kind of critical or rational thinking skills whatsoever, is considered a fully functioning member of society.
I watched him do nothing to help himself see the play, I saw him unable to catch a bloody wrister from the point when it was clear as day for him, and then flop forward reaching for it when there's an opposing forward there ready to shoot. Sorry I just don't like what I see from him at all, and yes I think mental make up/personality plays a role in how a goalie is, he's too soft mentally. Religion wasn't my point, "church boy" means he's soft, there's plenty of tough religious people (ray Lewis) sorry but a Mennonite farmers son doesn't put fear in the oppositions eyes. Tough dirty nasty guys like eddie the eagle and billy smith do, think the china wall would of collapsed like reimer did last night? Johnny would of put his face in the way, goalies need the attitude of a bulldog, not a collie

Last edited by SixthSens: 05-14-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old
05-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Drew311
Shanahanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
He needs to work on controlling his rebounds this summer. His glove-hand.
This. I'm not sure if the OP understands that young players actually have the capability to get better. If he works on a couple of things and improves he could be a top 10 goaltender in the league.

IMO he was the Leafs best player overall in the playoffs and the reason why they took it to Game 7. He is an even keel type of person who doesn't get rattled easily. This type of goaltender is difficult to find, and the Leafs should invest in this kid going forward.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:45 PM
colchar
The Keon Curse Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
I watched him do nothing to help himself see the play, I saw him unable to catch a bloody wrister from the point when it was clear as day for him, and then flop forward reaching for it when there's an opposing forward there ready to shoot. Sorry I just don't like what I see from him at all, and yes I think mental make up/personality plays a role in how a goalie is, he's too soft mentally. Religion wasn't my point, "church boy" means he's soft, there's plenty of tough religious people (ray Lewis) sorry but a Mennonite farmers son doesn't put fear in the oppositions eyes. Tough dirty nasty guys like eddie the eagle and billy smith do, think the china wall would of collapsed like reimer did last night? Johnny would of put his face in the way, goalies need the attitude of a bulldog, not a collie

You obviously know as little about Collies as you do about everything else.

ETA: I just watched Hockey Central at Noon and they analyzed all of the goals. On each of them Toronto players out numbered Boston players and yet they lost every single battle for the puck. On the final goal three Leaf players touched the puck but not one of them could get it away from the front of the net. And yet you blame Reimer????????

Last edited by colchar: 05-14-2013 at 12:51 PM.
colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:47 PM
ChesapeakeRipper
Tres Comma Club

vCash: 0
hopefully reimer will work on his rebound control this summer. it was a glaring weakness. and his glove hand as well. he did keep us in this series. he proved many critics wrong and that we don't need luongo or another starting goalie.

Reimer, the starting goalie for 2013-14

ChesapeakeRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:50 PM
JMcLeaf
Unregistered User

vCash: 3290
I'm sure he can improve on his rebound control. Not sure if he'll be able to improve his glove hand though. I expect that will always hurt him.

Also I can't believe 1 day the board is discussing if Reimer can make Team Canada then the next day this

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote