HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Rolston named head coach (Patrick, Adams fired)

Old
05-10-2013, 05:22 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
What are the chances Ott-Porter-Flynn is our top line next year?
Zero.

Next question.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Rammstein816

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but one of the assistant coaches is apparently named:

Cap Carey ‏@CapCareyWDT 2h

Jim Roque is leaving Lake Superior to join the Buffalo Sabres as an assistant. Worked with Ron Rolston at Clarkson from 96-99

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:52 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
Not sure if this is the right place for it, but one of the assistant coaches is apparently named:

Jim Roque is leaving Lake Superior to join the Buffalo Sabres as an assistant. Worked with Ron Rolston at Clarkson from 96-99
He is denying the report

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...res-staff.html
Quote:
"I donít know how that rumor got started," Roque said. "I feel bad that itís out there. Ron and I are good friends, but he has not offered me any job and I have not pursued a job with him. I talked to him on the weekend to congratulate him, and thatís all I got going with Ron right now."

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:

Dave Davis and John Vogl are both saying that report is false, with Vogl blogging quotes directly from Roque's mouth:
Quote:
"I don’t know how that rumor got started," Roque said. "I feel bad that it’s out there. Ron and I are good friends, but he has not offered me any job and I have not pursued a job with him. I talked to him on the weekend to congratulate him, and that’s all I got going with Ron right now."
Quote:
"We’re good friends," Roque said. "There’s nothing been offered to me. I’m at Lake State. I haven’t talked to Ron about a job, either, with his staff."
However, Roque is from the Rolston coaching tree I posted in here some pages back.

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Dave Davis and John Vogl are both saying that report is false, with Vogl blogging quotes directly from Roque's mouth:
Interesting. Just goes to show you how dangerous Twitter can be with leaking information now-a-days.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I'd like Rolston to have at least one guy on the staff with NHL coaching experience. Gulutzan is available now--might not be a bad choice given his record with developing guys like Jamie Benn and his success as a minor league coach.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:17 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

It may be the deciding factor but I definitely think it was one reason in keeping Numminen - Armia will be coming to North America this fall and having a big adjustment. Whether it's in Rochester or in Buffalo, it's foreseeable that the Sabres want to try to make his adjustment as smooth as possible - and without any other Finns on the roster or organization, having a veteran / hero like Numminen to help oversee Armia (even if more of a "big brother" / mentor rather than skills coach) makes sense. A lot of the talk coming out of Regier and Rolston has been on the importance of teaching the young players the responsibilities and requirements of being a professional - and Numminen's career and history surely help in that regard, especially for a young guy like Armia who probably grew up watching and idolizing Numminen in Finland.
Did we trade Ville Leino?

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:19 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Bringing in a good PP coach as an assistant could be the single most important move this team could make this off season. Scott Arniel anyone?

Old
05-14-2013, 01:25 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Bringing in a good PP coach as an assistant could be the single most important move this team could make this off season. Scott Arniel anyone?
No thanks. His PP prowess is a myth. I broke it down a few years ago. He's had one season with a good PP unit, one. That was the year we had a ton of talent and depth and the rules just got changed. His PPs haven't been good every other year in the NHL or AHL.

But I agree with your premise of needing an assistant to get the PP on track.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Interesting. Just goes to show you how dangerous Twitter can be with leaking information now-a-days.
Well, Roque and Rolston are close enough that Rolston's the godfather to Roque's youngest daughter, so you can see where a rumor can start .. per Dave Davis:
Quote:
"I don't know where that's coming from," Roque told me less than an hour ago. "Ron and I are good friends, he's the godfather of my youngest daughter. But he hasn't offered me a job."

Even if he were offered the job, it's not a certainty he would accept it.

"I like it here," Roque said. "My family is here and I don't plan on going anywhere."

Chris Dilks ‏@ChrisDilks 1h
LSSU assistant coach Tim Christian says Jim Roque has not yet been offered a job by the Buffalo Sabres, contrary to the WDT report.

Link: https://twitter.com/ChrisDilks/statu...66428285243392

Cap Carey ‏@CapCareyWDT 59m
I've been told Roque was offered the job on Sunday. Now may be case of not wanting news out there yet but was told he did get an offer

Link: https://twitter.com/CapCareyWDT/stat...72740729552896

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:25 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
No thanks. His PP prowess is a myth. I broke it down a few years ago. He's had one season with a good PP unit, one. That was the year we had a ton of talent and depth and the rules just got changed. His PPs haven't been good every other year in the NHL or AHL.

But I agree with your premise of needing an assistant to get the PP on track.
OK, fair enough. Who's a good PP coach?

Old
05-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Based on their results in the AHL this year, Cassidy.

05-14-2013, 02:30 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Chain beat me to it.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Quote:
Although, to be fair, I don't think it's question anybody can really answer (on this side, anyway).

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Although, to be fair, I don't think it's question anybody can really answer (on this side, anyway).
True. At least we know he's had some positive results with guys he'd be handling at this level if the likely scenario of him getting one of the positions plays out. We'll see if he can erase some of the ****-show antics they've resorted to in the last few years.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I don't think it should take much coaching to have an effective PP. You need two d-men and a FW on the half-wall that can pass quickly and accurately enough to get a semi-clear point shot. Repeat until garbage goal. I'd rather see a long wrister asap after setting up in the zone, than the back and forth routine I see so many teams waste half their PP on trying to get the "perfect" one-timer. Sometimes I'd rather watch bottom-sixers on the PP because they don't get caught up with trying too many fancy (p)ass plays. A team could double their PP chances just by dumbing things down.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
How much of that came from the early season success of having Foligno, Hodgson, Brennan, and Mancari though?

Old
05-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
How much of that came from the early season success of having Foligno, Hodgson, Brennan, and Mancari though?
Personnel is part of it. Being able to put that personnel in a position to succeed was also part of it.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:38 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Rolston is going to bring in his brother as an assistant and than one more.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Rolston is going to bring in his brother as an assistant and than one more.
You said this same thing in the other thread with no more information than what appears to be a statement of fact (not an expressed opinion). Speculation or are you claiming some inside source on this?

I can't see him naming his brother with no coaching experience as an assistant because of how TERRIBLE it would look. The NHL would laugh at a team that bases personnel decisions on family relations. Granted, Brian Rolston was a good NHL player, but I'd still see it as the equivalent of Mr. Pegula naming Jessie the assistant GM.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
You said this same thing in the other thread with no more information than what appears to be a statement of fact (not an expressed opinion). Speculation or are you claiming some inside source on this?

I can't see him naming his brother with no coaching experience as an assistant because of how TERRIBLE it would look. The NHL would laugh at a team that bases personnel decisions on family relations. Granted, Brian Rolston was a good NHL player, but I'd still see it as the equivalent of Mr. Pegula naming Jessie the assistant GM.
No offense to Terry's daughter but her only connection to the NHL is that her father owns a team. Brian Rolston has years of experience doing the job they would be asking him to coach. If he was asked to do Adams job as player development coach I would expect him to do well.

Ron Rolston was asked about hiring his brother and he answered it very clearly that Brian wasn't ready. So, that could have been just an answer, but I don't think he'll be bringing him in at this point.

Cassidy seems like a good fit. Who's taking his spot in Rochester if he is promoted?

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:53 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Not sure if posted but Cunneyworth?

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:48 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post

Speculation at this point, I imagine Cassidy stays in Rochester

Last edited by JPurp26: 05-15-2013 at 10:27 PM.
JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Not that my opinion is really all that needed but I don't really care who else is on the coaching staff in terms of identity but I would like at least one guy who has been behind an NHL bench before. The Sabres seem to have been holding the two assistant, one developmental/booth guy for a while so I would assume they stick with that.

Patrick, Adams (Numminen)

Patrick, McCutcheon (Adams)

If that's the case and Numminen is staying, though the capacity is unknown, and there is a strong assumption that Cassidy will be on the staff that leaves one spot (note, if jpurp is correct then Cassidy may be swapped with Brian Rolston).

Cassidy/Rolston, [assistant with NHL experience] (Numminen).

Of the names listed by Woodhouse and Vogl, Blashill is really the only one that fits. I'm a bit concerned if we end up with some combination of Cassidy, Brian Rolston and Numminen as the bench assistants.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
I heard from the same source that told me that Patrick and Adams were gone hours before it happened or was announced. Obviously take it with a grain of salt but I heard he is bringing in his brother as well as one more assistant. I am thinking Cassidy stays in Rochester for now and that he brings in his brother and one other guy who is as good as anyone's guess.
Claims of insider information are not allowed. Get vetted or stop it.