HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Fans that leave games during blowouts

Old
05-14-2013, 01:47 PM
newerabegins

vCash: 500
Parking is one of the main reasons. Get to avoid the after game mayhem.

newerabegins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:06 PM
SurMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEC View Post
You win with your team and you lose with your team. Sure, anyone who paid money for the tickets can do whatever they want. But you might call yourself a bandwagon fan if you can't tolerate your team losing badly. It is also a sign of respect for the players. Yeah, they get more than enough money regardless if someone leaves early or not, but why should they care about the team if the "fans" don't as soon as the team loses.
Yeah, bit of a cultural difference though. In europe you don't go to the games to be entertained, you go to support your team. If you don't support them when times are rough, you aren't worthy of supporting them when they're doing well.
Or as a swedish proverb says "Love me when I least deserve it, because that's when I need it the most."

Last edited by SurMartin: 05-14-2013 at 02:47 PM.
SurMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Hal2000

real hockey fans dont leave early unless the wife/kids want out. You're putting the team in front of hockey itself if you leave early for any other reason

Hal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Everyone is different. Some people decide they would rather miss the traffic than stick around for the obvious result. Some people may have decided they get too worked up during a blowout, and they leave rather than get angered over a game that is supposed to bring enjoyment and entertainment.

I ask this - why is it unusual for folks to leave a source of entertainment when they are no longer entertained? Is it out of some arbitrary sense of loyalty that they are required to stay? If these same fans were going out and burning all of their gear, selling their season tickets and boycotting the team after a single blowout I would see the confusion, but simply leaving? Hell, I change the channel or walk out of the theater when I don't like a movie. I'm not being entertained, so I'm going to find a better use of my time.

Now, if you find more enjoyment out of remaining loyal to the bitter end, that's also fine.

We are all fans in different ways.
Pretty much. /thread

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:28 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Don't get me wrong. I've been a fan of the game for 20 years now. I love hockey, but when I go to a Predators game as a Predators fan I'm certainly putting my team ahead of the sport itself. Now, if I'm going to a game between two teams to which I have no emotional allegiance at all, I don't care what the score is. I'll stick around until the end. Chances are I'm there on vacation anyway. I'm going to the game to see the game.

BUT if I'm going to see MY team play and MY team is being demolished I'm probably pretty pissed off. That's just me. Not everyone gets that way, but over the years I have come to realize the limitations of my own temper. I've also come to realize that it isn't worth getting that worked up over. It's just a game. It's there for entertainment, and when I fail to be entertained I'll leave, or change the channel, or whatever. It isn't worth the high blood pressure when it's all said and done.

There are a lot of things in this world worth that kind of emotional stress. At the end of the day, a game simply isn't in my humble opinion.
Nice post!!!

Exactly how I feel, and exactly how I felt last night.

I stopped watching the Bruins last night at 4-1. I kept the computer on for updates, and turned it back on in the last few minutes to see the 'miracle' two goals; but I had cooled down by then and still didn't expect a comeback. Luckily it worked out; but I don't regret my decision to walk away, and I can completely understand those that desire to leave early during such a game.

maybe if you can stay, YOU aren't as much of a fan for not caring and getting as emotional about the team as I do!

See how that works!!!

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Zoombie

When a team is up 4-1 with 10 mins left, the game is decided as there is no way a respectable NHL club would be able to give up that lead, so why not beat the rush out of the stadium and get home to your kids?

Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:52 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal2000 View Post
real hockey fans dont leave early unless the wife/kids want out. You're putting the team in front of hockey itself if you leave early for any other reason
Wives and kids can't be real hockey fans then, eh?

05-14-2013, 04:01 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

So who's a better fan:

One who goes to 40+ games a season, and leaves some early

or

One who goes a handful per season, and never leaves early?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:45 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Hockey is JUST entertainment for some people.

If they don't like the product on the ice, they will leave. Someone mentioned that it's like the movies. But I think if you want to compare movies/theatre/concert as being a fan of hockey, then players are just mere puppets for your entertainment? The entitlement to spending your cash and doing whatever you can because it's your cash, is just as brutal as throwing a half eaten sandwich just because you don't feel like eating. It's such a waste. Well, that's North American culture for you.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:53 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFlyHigh View Post
Hockey is JUST entertainment for some people.

If they don't like the product on the ice, they will leave. Someone mentioned that it's like the movies. But I think if you want to compare movies/theatre/concert as being a fan of hockey, then players are just mere puppets for your entertainment? The entitlement to spending your cash and doing whatever you can because it's your cash, is just as brutal as throwing a half eaten sandwich just because you don't feel like eating. It's such a waste. Well, that's North American culture for you.
It's not even remotely comparable to the sandwich example.

Someone in a poor third world country can't get a day's worth of food out of half a period of an unused seat at a hockey game.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

I wouldn't ever leave a playoffs game early, because even though it might be a blow-out, something strange (great goal or a nasty hit) could still take place. I wouldn't want to miss it.

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:02 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
It's not even remotely comparable to the sandwich example.

Someone in a poor third world country can't get a day's worth of food out of half a period of an unused seat at a hockey game.
Isn't it about paying your money and being ENTITLED to whatever it is you do with the product? Leaving a game is like leaving your dinner table at a fancy restaurant because you 'lost your appetite'

It happens everytime in a first world country.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:07 PM
umad

I go to games to be entertained. It surely isn't very entertaining when my team is getting blown out and is playing like crap. Besides, what is the likelihood of my team coming back from 5-0 late in the third? I paid for the tickets, it is my decision to either leave or stay.

umad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:15 PM
CunniJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
So who's a better fan:

One who goes to 40+ games a season, and leaves some early

or

One who goes a handful per season, and never leaves early?
That's dangerous territory there as well though. I don't take your post as such, but plenty of people think that going to games is the only way to show you're a big fan of the team. Plenty of us aren't made of money/don't live nearby and can't go to games very often but rarely miss watching the game.

Besides... some people are too busy playing their own game. Honestly, I don't care if it's game 7 of the Stanley Cup. I'm never missing my own game to watch other men play theirs.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:15 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Isn't it about paying your money and being ENTITLED to whatever it is you do with the product? Leaving a game is like leaving your dinner table at a fancy restaurant because you 'lost your appetite'

Sounds to me like you're just not a fan of the whole concept of commerce. If you buy something, you are entitled to not use all of it.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:22 PM
bluemeester26
Rookie User

I don't know about where you live, but when i lived in Buffalo, I was at a Senators vs Sabres game. Sabres have an 8-0 lead or something crazy, and they blow 8 more to send it to overtime. Miller was pulled, it was a mess. Leaving the stadium is a ***** and a half after the game ends, so i just left. Too dissapointing, even if they would have won. How do you blow 8 goals?

And yes, Senators won

bluemeester26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:19 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Why would I stay at a restaurant after I've lost my appetite?

"Excuse me, sir, would you care to see a menu?"
-"No, I'm not hungry. I just reserved this table so I could have a place to sit down and build pyramids out of sugar packets for the next hour."

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 02:24 AM
Flames Maniac
Was Flamesfanatic12

vCash: 50
Winning or losing, I tend to leave games with about 7 minutes left in the third. I use the ctrain, so I like ot beat the gigantic rush on the public transit

Flames Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 02:27 AM
umad

Quote:

What a poor analogy.

A better one would be the food you are eating is not up to par with your standards, therefore you pay the bill and leave before finishing it entirely. You have never done this? Where the food was so bad, you didn't feel like finishing it?

umad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:06 AM
jfisher6
#thestructure

Hockey is serious business! It's certainly not a game for entertainment purposes!

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:57 AM
howeaboutthat

Quote:
Parking is one of the main reasons. Get to avoid the after game mayhem.
So is parking only an issue when your team is losing or do you leave early all the time?

Me, I stay the course. I'm happy to revel in glory and perhaps, occasionally, wave sarcastically at the opposition fans as they leave if we win, its only right to suck it up after a loss.

howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:26 AM
joe2856

From the looks of it, only the hardcore season ticket holders\Fans were left at the Caps game by the end of it, me being one of them. I wanted to leave after the 2nd period, mainly due to for what ever reason they decided to make that game an 8pm start time on a weekday(I have never seen a Caps Home game start that late before), but I decided to stay to give the boys thanks at the end of the game for the season, despite them being embarrased yet again in the playoffs.

joe2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Seanahue

Man I am impressed. I have no idea how you guys were able to fit so many high horses into one thread.

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:44 AM
LeighDx13

I never leave early, regardless of whats going on. The way I see it I spend my hard-earned cash on the game and I'm gonna get the most out of it. I know that varies from person to person, but thats my take on it.

LeighDx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:14 AM
glovesave_35
Name

I asked this question when I was 17. As a 27 year old I've got better things to do than sit around and watch my team get their ass handed to them. It's pretty arrogant for anyone to tell me when it's ok for me to leave a sporting event.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote