HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Avs-Preds

Old
05-14-2013, 01:06 PM
the_fan

vCash: 500
Avs-Preds

Ok, first of all im in no way saying i would like to make this trade as an Avs fan, and i'm not sure if Pred fans would do it either, just out of curiosity i'm wondering if this proposal is legit.

To Preds: Stastny, 1st (which most likely will be Jones)

To Avs: Weber, 4th (which most likely be Barkov)

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

This is not even close. It would take MUCH more to get the Predators to even consider trading Weber.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:10 PM
PAZ

Ya, this is really bad.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Preds give up a franchise defenseman and future No. 1 center for a No. 1 center and the top defenseman in the draft?

I get the logic behind the proposal, but outside of logic, I don't see the value in it for the Predators.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:15 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Preds give up a franchise defenseman and future No. 1 center for a No. 1 center and the top defenseman in the draft?

I get the logic behind the proposal, but outside of logic, I don't see the value in it for the Predators.
Maybe the preds want to vie for Ekblad next year?

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

Issue. ....stasny is not a #1 center....Substite him for Duchene.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:17 PM
the_fan

I don't think this is as bad as many people going to say it is.

Weber is 27, it's not old by any means, but Preds will get a guy who is 9 years younger in Seth Jones who could have as good if not a better career in the NHL.

Preds also get Stastny much needed offensive help up front which they lack.

I think this is closer than people think.

Edit: Also i know Preds give up Barkov. Stastny with the right line mates is a PPG player, where Barkov's upside in the NHL is unknown.

Same with Jones. I know his upside is unknown, but it's safer to say Jones will be top notch d-man in the NHL than Barkov will be a PPG center.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:20 PM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post

Weber is 27, it's not old by any means, but Preds will get a guy who is 9 years younger in Seth Jones who could have as good if not a better career in the NHL.

You do realize that most D are not good until they are 24-25? Weber is only 2-3 years past that, and Jones has 4-5 years to go to get there.

This is not that close to a deal. Even if the Preds did not give up the #4 overall I'm pretty sure they turn it down.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Avs44
Chicago? Chicago

vCash: 380
Quote:

Edit: Also i know Preds give up Barkov. Stastny with the right line mates is a PPG player, where Barkov's upside in the NHL is unknown.

Same with Jones. I know his upside is unknown, but it's safer to say Jones will be top notch d-man in the NHL than Barkov will be a PPG center.
Don't defend this. It's an awful proposal.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Burke6687

Here's the thing. The Predator's are not a franchise that is flush with cash. After paying Weber approximately $27 million within the last calendar year they are not going to trade him. He is the face of the franchise, they have invested far to much time and money into him to move him. I honestly don't see any scenario where they move him unless someone is willing to send back a franchise player and somehow make up the cash. You do not invest almost $30 million into a player to then flip him.

Burke6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

I'm pretty sure the avs make that trade in a millisecond and run home screaming to the heavens. Nashville definitely wouldn't do that.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Issue. ....stasny is not a #1 center....Substite him for Duchene.
I know, but figured people might argue that he would be on the Preds (which he would be), so I labeled him as a No. 1. Can't label Barkov as a No. 1 yet due to development. My wording was designed to point out Weber is the only franchise player in the deal. Preds aren't getting nearly the return they would want for a player of Weber's caliber.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:37 PM
the_fan

Well i understand all the negative response this proposal is going to get, but mainly because too many question marks are in the deal.

Will Jones live up to expectations? if he does, he could be better than Weber, then this proposal will actually look good for the Preds.

I guess this one is in wait and see category. I definitely understand Preds not willing to give up a sure thing in Weber for a prospect Jones.

But as an Avs fan i'm not sure if i want to give up Jones (even for Weber) until i see what he can do in the NHL because the kid has huge upside.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Sakic19Duchene9

Meh I wouldn't want to give up what it would take to get Weber. Probably be something around Duchene and/or Landeskog.

On top of that I can't see Nashville management accepting this at all (Franchise player) nor do I see Avs management doing this (Very marketable player in jones).

This would be a more interesting proposal in 3-5 years.

and I personally wouldn't do this trade Stastny could help us land a top 4 D or a first line winger.

ex. I would rather have Phaneuf + Jones than just Weber.

Last edited by Sakic19Duchene9: 05-14-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Sakic19Duchene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Soundgarden

Jones, Johnson, Landeskog/Duchene

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Jones, Johnson, Landeskog/Duchene
Come on now....

OP's proposal was bad we can all agree. But lets not go from one extreme to the other.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
At first I thought it was a 4th rounder and figured it wasn't quite that bad but needed some more from us... then I saw the posts below the OP.

Anyways, Avs have no desire to move the names being posted, even for Weber. We're a better team with 2-3 of Duchy, Landeskog, EJ and Jones than Weber.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Soundgarden

Let's break this down into two trades:

1. 1st for the 4th

The drop off from 1st to fourth isn't huge, and both teams are happy with where they are. Nashville Wants Barkov and Colorado wants Jones. No reason either team needs to do this trade.

2. Stastny for Weber

Insulting. We've payed 1/4 of Weber's contract and we only get one asset and he's not even your no.1 or no.2 center, just insulting. If we trade Weber, or if you want Weber, then you need to regret making the trade for him. Colorado robs Nashville and still has Duchene, Ror and now Barkov.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Come on now....

OP's proposal was bad we can all agree. But lets not go from one extreme to the other.
That's being generous. One top pairing defensman, one high potential defender and a top line forward. It's going to really cost you If you want Weber. We need one 25 minute defender, a top line forward and a nice young prospect coming back to even think about trading him at this point.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Sakic19Duchene9

Wow I thought the 4th meant a 4th rounder not 4th overall pick.. Why the hell would Nashville do this? Ignore my last post I would this in a heartbeat

Sakic19Duchene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:01 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic19Duchene9 View Post
Wow I thought the 4th meant a 4th rounder not 4th overall pick.. Why the hell would Nashville do this? Ignore my last post I would this in a heartbeat
What if Jones becomes a better player than Weber in about 5 or so years? If he does than Avs were robbed on my proposed trade.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
What if Jones becomes a better player than Weber in about 5 or so years? If he does than Avs were robbed on my proposed trade.
What if Weber plays at a high level until his late 30's early 40's like Pronger, Bourque or Lidstrom?

Old
05-14-2013, 02:09 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
What if Weber plays at a high level until his late 30's early 40's like Pronger, Bourque or Lidstrom?
Jones could do the same.

Remember, many people thought Suter was better than Weber and Preds got nothing in return for him.

My proposal isn't as bad as people think. It is just something Preds can't do right now because Jones hasn't played in the NHL yet.

Again, if Jones is a better player than Weber in 5 years or so than no way Avs make this trade.

I wont trade Jones for Weber right now without knowing what Jones will become.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
That may happen, but it is very unlikely.

Jones has a tonne of a potential sure, but Weber is one of the best Dmen to play in the game today.

Weber is basically what us Avs fans can only hope Jones can eventually become.

Sure there is a chance he'll even be better(Also meaning Jones would probably be one of the best Dmen to ever play the game period), and that would be great for us. But more then likely he ends up on the same level as Weber or a step below him, a Top 5-10 Dman in the league.

Its like if Nashville offered us Austin Watson for Matt Duchene? It would be an instant no for us because were trading away the already proven top line player in Duchene. Sure Watson might become better then Duchene in a couple years, but its unlikely and not even close to worth the risk for the Avs to move him.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Jones could do the same.

Remember, many people thought Suter was better than Weber and Preds got nothing in return for him.

My proposal isn't as bad as people think. It is just something Preds can't do right now because Jones hasn't played in the NHL yet.

Again, if Jones is a better player than Weber in 5 years or so than no way Avs make this trade.

I wont trade Jones for Weber right now without knowing what Jones will become.
Considering Barkov is the player we are speculated to want this trade makes no sense and the value isn't there. Barkov=Jones for us, we already have defensemen and we know how to develop them we don't need to get 7 years younger when our widow will be opening shortly. Jones can be a great player, but you need to look at it as two different trades.

Stastny alone does not get you Weber.