HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Possible role players for next season

Old
05-13-2013, 09:38 PM
BlueChip01

vCash: 500
I just want guys who can actually play. Hate everybody in the bottom 6 pretty much. Our top 2 lines basically have to carry our team because of the garbage role players we have.

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Werd

We are all agree the Oilers are too soft, need better backup goalie, terrible bottom 6 and defence that wouldnt even win you the memorial cup bad.

My crazy offseason proposal

Internal Team Moves

Buyouts
Horcoff
Smyth

Re-sign
Gagner 6 years @ 4.5M
MPS 4 Years @ 2M
Harti 2 Years @ 1M
Fistic 2 years @1.5M

Bye Bye
Jones
Petrell
Smithson
Whitney
Sutton
Peckham
Khabibulin

Draft day
If all the centers are gone by #7 which I suspect will be the case. We solidfy our top 6 size issue and choose Nischukin. Also Yakupov gets a comrade to keep him happy and should form a dynamic duo for years to come.

Then if Curtis Lazar is still available in the upper-teens we trade our 2 2nd's to get the 1st to get him

Trades

Hemsky for 2nd pick any team pretty much

Eric Belanger (Cap retained by Oilers for 2013/2014 season)
Random low pick like 5th 2013
Prospect like Hamilton or Peckham or whoever of the b grade prospects

for

Brian Boyle NYR

Conditional
2nd round 2014 pick

for

Cal Clutterbuck MIN if resigns (Makes the bottom 6 a living hell to play against and gives the top 6 respect that they wont be run like they are.)
Ideally 4 years 8-9M (2-2.25M per yr)

if no resigning then its a 4th pick 2014

Free Agent Signing
Brian Bickell CHI 2 years 2-2.25M (2nd/3rd line winger that brings some nasty and chips some goals)

Rob Scuderi 2 years 3.75M (Overpay but this years UFA Dmen are super thin and we need a Lefty D to mentor J Schultz because N Schultz couldnt handle the mentor role and is a third pairing guy)

Adam Cracknell 2 years 1M-1.2M (Hidden under the forward depth in St.Louis, love how th guys plays and the stats dont lie that he is a great 4th liner.)

Tom Griess
Good backup that is hidden by Niemi breakout season. 2 years 750-800k

Line up 2013-2014

Hall-Nuge-Ebbs (15.775M)
MPS-Gags-Yaks (10.275M)
Bickell-Lazar-Clutterbuck (6M assuming Lazar is around 1.5M cap)
Harti-Boyle-Cracknell (3.75M)

Smid-Petry (5.25M)
Scuderi-J. Schultz (7.5M)
N.Schultz - Fistric/Potter/Marcinin/Klefbom (5M)

Dubnyk (3.5M)
Griess (750K)

Belanger salary retained (1.75M)

Comes up about 60M leaving 4 M space.
Team gets a much more respectable defence with two true top 4 pairings.
Griess is a much cheaper and most likely better backup than Habby.
Boyle, Cracknell,Bickell,Clutterbuck brings grit and scoring threat actually.

Werd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Great One

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
Lapierre isn't a bad option; definitely the type of pest we're missing. Klinkhammer hasn't established himself as a legit NHLer yet imo (only 38 NHL games so far in 3 years for 3 teams) and Cullen is a guy I don't mind but I'd be a bit afraid of giving him any term on the contract due to his age.
i don't want that guy anywhere near this team. Lapierre is a coward who would hurt this team more than help us. He's constantly taking dumb penalties, especially for diving which is my biggest pet peeve. He's also the kind of player that stirs the pot and then gets other guys to pick up for him. He may be a pest and may draw a few penalties but the cons definitely outweigh the pros with this POS.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:18 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
i don't want that guy anywhere near this team. Lapierre is a coward who would hurt this team more than help us. He's constantly taking dumb penalties, especially for diving which is my biggest pet peeve. He's also the kind of player that stirs the pot and then gets other guys to pick up for him. He may be a pest and may draw a few penalties but the cons definitely outweigh the pros with this POS.
I disagree. Your hate for him just proves how effective he is

05-14-2013, 12:52 AM
belair

I like the idea of signing Kyle Chipchura. He's a low cost pesky guy who is a gamer.

Also, bringing in Talbot from Philly would be a big move if we're moving out Belanger. That deal could potentially be expanded if we took a shot at Meszaros or Coburn. They're the kind of LHD that we should be looking at and Philly happens to be in a bit of cap trouble next year.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:59 AM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
I like the idea of signing Kyle Chipchura. He's a low cost pesky guy who is a gamer.

Also, bringing in Talbot from Philly would be a big move if we're moving out Belanger. That deal could potentially be expanded if we took a shot at Meszaros or Coburn. They're the kind of LHD that we should be looking at and Philly happens to be in a bit of cap trouble next year.
Me too, A 4th line of Talbot/Chipchura-Talbot/Chipchura-Brown would be sweet, Talbot can move up to the 3rd line too if needed.

Mezsaros would be an interesting pickup. Hes a good top 4 LD if hes healthy and he can move the puck too. Solid shot from the point on my viewings of him.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:46 AM
jmoss45

First, there's no way Bickell or Stahlberg sign here for 2 million. As UFA's i'd imagine 3 mil+

And what reason do the Rangers have to trade Boyle? What could we offer them? He's been great in the playoffs and he's costing 1.7 mil a year so Boyle's not exactly the reason they're cap crunched.

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:12 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
First, there's no way Bickell or Stahlberg sign here for 2 million. As UFA's i'd imagine 3 mil+

And what reason do the Rangers have to trade Boyle? What could we offer them? He's been great in the playoffs and he's costing 1.7 mil a year so Boyle's not exactly the reason they're cap crunched.
He was out of favor with the coach much of the year, that IMO is the biggest reason.

05-14-2013, 03:29 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Aaron Asham always seems to play solid minutes and score clutch goals for good teams. He'd be a great pick-up too. There are definitely some guys toiling around on non-playoff teams like Chipcura and Yip

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Eskimo44

I've always liked Drew Miller's game. A minor role player but i'd be happy with him on the 4th.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Honestly i would probably sign him too if i could but i don't think his hating him proves anything. Before landing in Vancouver he was considered ineffective in Anaheim and Montreal because of his antics. I hated him before he was effective in Vancouver, and still hate him, so i don't know if effectivness is a sure fire reason for someone to hate him. I think the fellow you are quoting makes a good point about him being a headcase. Like i said i'd sign him, but it's not a guareentee he works out if you consider his past.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:28 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix j View Post
I really like nystrom. Like his father,he plays hard. Great on the cycle.if only he
Had dads hands
I like him as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic View Post
Hendricks is a guy we need. Physical, fights, kills penalties and can take face-offs.

Gordon isn't physical enough to fit our needs (we already have Belanger).

Lapierre or Chipchura could be villains that can hold their own and take some face-offs.
I'd like to get Hedricks but I just don't know that he's available. Then again when a team underperforms in the playoffs anything could happen. Another guy that I like, but I see no reason for WSH to move is Oleksy. Guy is nothing special, but came out of nowhere had some fights, hits, blocks shots plays the PK.

After yesterday I have to think the best Faceoff guy available this off-season is going to be targetted heavily by Toronto. I wonder if they regret trading that guy that was 57% all year to ANA.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:31 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He was out of favor with the coach much of the year, that IMO is the biggest reason.
He's now 5th in ES toi/game and 4th in overall time, that window might be gone.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Moneypuck

I like Antoine Vermette. He likes to play that salt'n vinegar type of game.

4 guys I would target, Vermette,David Clarkson,Scott Hartnell and Steve Ott. If the Oilers could go 3 for 4 on that list, it would make a huge difference. Put 18-20 million over 5 yrs in front of Clarkson, and that might be enough to keep him from re-signing in Jersey.

Philly,Buffalo,Minnesota and Vancouver......all teams that will lose players significant role players this offseason.

For maybe realistic targets for help on the blueline, I feel the Oilers should focus on Tyler Myers and Erik Gudbranson. Guys like this may be more affordable/possible than the homerun Shea Weber types.

Last edited by Moneypuck: 05-14-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Great One

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'm not gonna deny the fact that I don't like the guy but I think my reasoning is pretty justified and it has nothing to do with how effective he is. Lapierre has a strong reputation for diving and embellishing to draw penalties. There is more than enough video evidence online to support this.

I've also watched enough of him, including his time with Montreal, to see how often he'll stir up trouble and then coward away resulting in one of his teammates having to step for him. We need more guys who can pick up for our younger players on the team, not more guys who need to be picked up for. Lapierre may be a pest and he may get under other players skin but if he's also out there getting penalties for diving and risking injuries to teammates who have to fight his battles for him then I really don't see how he can help us more than hurt us which was my original argument in the first place.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:29 AM
BowDangles

The bottom six will be revamped but it is one of the smallest issues of the club.

If they do not do something with their defence than they will continually suck year after year.

And with RNH being out for the start of the season they are going to need someone to fit into the 1/2C hole until November.

I think the priority list should be as follows:

#1-2 Defence man
#3-4 Defence man
Top nine centre man (stop gap on the 2nd line till RNH comes back and bumps Gags back)
Big top six winger
2-3 bottom six physical players.

I really hope MacT does not think that Klefbom and Marcinin will fix all his problems on defence...

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
The bottom six will be revamped but it is one of the smallest issues of the club.

If they do not do something with their defence than they will continually suck year after year.

And with RNH being out for the start of the season they are going to need someone to fit into the 1/2C hole until November.

I think the priority list should be as follows:

#1-2 Defence man
#3-4 Defence man
Top nine centre man (stop gap on the 2nd line till RNH comes back and bumps Gags back)
Big top six winger
2-3 bottom six physical players.

I really hope MacT does not think that Klefbom and Marcinin will fix all his problems on defence...
true enough but we have plenty other threads to discuss those..

As for this thread... trading for Berglund and singing Stalberg would give us a sweed 3rd line... Paajarvi-Berglund-Staalberg .. Cant go wrong with that..

<sorry if I posted this already>

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:50 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
true enough but we have plenty other threads to discuss those..

As for this thread... trading for Berglund and singing Stalberg would give us a sweed 3rd line... Paajarvi-Berglund-Staalberg .. Cant go wrong with that..

<sorry if I posted this already>
Who/what would St. Louis want in return? I know this has been discussed in the past but what were the St. Louis fans saying about what they wanted back?

Old
05-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Who/what would St. Louis want in return? I know this has been discussed in the past but what were the St. Louis fans saying about what they wanted back?
They are set on D with JBo\AP\Shattenkirk\Polak and Jackman
They have trouble scoring and need offense .. An under 4M\yr Gagner might be attractive to them (esp if Andy Mac isnt resigned)..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:08 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Basically all their fans want to put pieces with Berglund and send the package for a legitimate #1C.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:54 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Basically all their fans want to put pieces with Berglund and send the package for a legitimate #1C.
Won't happen though. We've been wanting to do the same with Cogliano/Gagner/draft picks for years for a #1 center or d-man.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
He's now 5th in ES toi/game and 4th in overall time, that window might be gone.
I guess we'll find out, IIRC we did kick NYR's tires asking about him but nothing came of it so dealing for him might be just a pipe dream at this point.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Won't happen though. We've been wanting to do the same with Cogliano/Gagner/draft picks for years for a #1 center or d-man.
They might have the pieces to pull it off IF they can find a dance partner.

Shattenkirk, Berglund, Tarasenko, Stewart, they've got some very good players if they are willing to move them.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:32 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
They might have the pieces to pull it off IF they can find a dance partner.

Shattenkirk, Berglund, Tarasenko, Stewart, they've got some very good players if they are willing to move them.
They've basically said they aren't moving a d-man, and I don't think any team considering moving a center will do so for downgrades and wingers.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:03 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
They've basically said they aren't moving a d-man, and I don't think any team considering moving a center will do so for downgrades and wingers.
I wonder if Edmonton can trick them into thinking Sam Gagner will emerge as a #1C. St.Louis has a lot of pieces that Edmonton would want..

Mainly I would want Edmonton to focus on Shattenkirk (prob won't happen) and Berglund.

So i like the idea of a Berglund for Gagner swap. I wonder what Edmonton would have to add to make it worth it?

What about a package deal like

To Edm:
Berglund
Shattenkirk
late 1st

To St. Louis
Gagner
MPS
7th overall