HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The James Reimer conundrum

Old
05-14-2013, 12:51 PM
The Big D

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
You obviously know as little about Collies as you do about everything else.
Wouldn't know a thing about them besides they're not a tough intimidating breed, which is what you need in a goalie. I'm a bulldog kind of guy myself and love my two.
I realize that the guys in front didn't help, but I just feel like he really let them down. It was 3 fricking goals- so you cry about it? The hell is that? Be mad, not sad. Wrong kind of passion.

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:11 PM
I Am The Stig
SPACESHIP!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
Wouldn't know a thing about them besides they're not a tough intimidating breed, which is what you need in a goalie. I'm a bulldog kind of guy myself and love my two.
I realize that the guys in front didn't help, but I just feel like he really let them down. It was 3 fricking goals- so you cry about it? The hell is that? Be mad, not sad. Wrong kind of passion.
Were you the one that referenced ray lewis? Cause that dude cries all the time.

I Am The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Raven25

Reimer is a promising YOUNG goalie with an excellent work ethic, mental toughness and a will to be better. If Nonis doesn't see that and see to it the #1 job is his to lose come camp then he's a fool and we'll suffer accordingly, particularly so if he's still considering Luongo. I'm confident in saying if Luongo was in net this series would've been over in 5, the defensive zone play would still have been subpar and Luongo would've become flapped (as he always does in the playoffs) very early in the series.

Goaltending was not our problem in this series. Defensive zone play, faceoffs and losing pretty much every puck battle on the walls (Kulemin is the ONLY player who can ever come up with a puck it seems) was.

James Reimer SHOULD be the Leafs' starting goalie moving forward. While rebound control can be fixed, rebounds are created by shots and the TEAM is responsible for keeping the number of them to an absolute minimum for 60 minutes every game

Raven25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:26 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYayo View Post
I do think the Leafs have a decent defensive system right now..they allow a lot of shots but not a ton of good chances...(unless they are rebounds)

Goalies like Kipper pre this season...Craig Anderson...Luongo..Henrik

Also do you think that meltdown..where you can tell he was rattled will hurt his confidence going forward?
Going to have to disagree on calibre of the Leafs defensive system, as although decent and good may be considered comparable I do not think they can be considered a good defensive team at the moment.

Aside from Anderson, that's some pretty elite company you're using as your benchmark. That's fine, because I asked, but comparing a 25 year old with 100 games under his belt to 3 likely HOF goalies could be setting the bar a little high at this point.

I don't think so. Seems like a pretty well grounded kid with a good support network. First time in that situation has to be unnerving, and unlike many here, I don't really think there was much more he could have done on any of the 3rd period goals.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Pyromaniac3

Guys, where was Reimer before the start of the season? Where is he now? Before throwing him out, consider his growth this season. And ask yourself, why can't he grow from here? He has been the best after people doubt him. Look after the trade deadline, his save percentage was through the roof. He will bounce back better than ever.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Joey Hoser

He was one of the top 10 goalies in the league this year, easily. I'd like to hear how people would plan to improve our goaltending by replacing him.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:34 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergoalie View Post
Reimer is fine. Yes he needs work on rebound controll but overall he is excellent, and will only get better.
The biggest issue is the Leafs inability to clear their zone.
Solve that one issue and we would all be in a much better mood today.
Seven games and they never came up with an answer to the pinching D of Boston. To me that was the story of the series.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:40 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
He was one of the top 10 goalies in the league this year, easily. I'd like to hear how people would plan to improve our goaltending by replacing him.
#9?

The madness continues.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:43 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Reimer is only 25 and, IMO, was excellent in the series against the Bruins the defense in front of him let him down, and it doesn't help that they were playing a big, net crashing team in Boston. Remember, this was Reimer's first playoff action patience, folks. What would have happened if Rangers' management freaked out about how Lundqvist played in the 2006 playoffs (where he was terrible and pulled)?

Goalies are an enigma, especially younger ones. Reimer has showed a LOT of potential to grow into a very, very good goalie. Get him a tougher/superior defense, and he'll continue to provide excellent goaltending.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:21 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Can't expect him to play like a 30 year old veteran. He is what he is. A learning goalie who made tremendous strides this year and played 7 playoff games. He was screened badly on the last two regulation goals but yes, his rebounds are an issue as is his glove hand.

I think he will only get better. My only worry with him is will he be like Brian Elliot who can make all the saves except when under pressure? Will he make that save that people watching expect him to make, like the goal to Krejci in OT? Still he is a No.1 goalie in this league.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:24 PM
FifthLine
Leaf Syndrome

vCash: 400
How is there a conundrum? He played outstanding in regular season and great in the playoffs considering it was his first NHL playoff series. This was a team collapse not a goaltending collapse.

FifthLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Ricky Bobby

There is no conundrum. Reimer gets paid dirt cheap for a starting goalie and played excellent this year. Reimer making less than 2 million allows us to spend money elsewhere on the roster.

Meanwhile 3 big money goalies in Price, Fluery and Schneider were all bad these playoffs.

The grass isn't always greener and Reimer is a key reason we ever even made it to game 7.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:30 PM
The Kessel Run

Reimer showed a LOT in the playoffs and gained valuable experience. You cannot pin Game 7 on him at all. The Leafs ran out of gas and stopped skating, unfortunately. We should be very excited to see what next year brings for James.

The Kessel Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:34 PM
deuce457

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Why must people always try to find an individual scapegoat in a team sport.

No Reimer = No playoffs
No Reimer = No Game 7
No Reimer = No 4-1 lead late in the game

He faced the most shots of any goalie in the Playoffs so far and made the most saves of any goalie in the Playoffs so far.

Of course there are areas to improve, but Reimer is 25 years old with somewhere around 100 NHL games under his belt. I think he's a proven starter in this league and is going to get better with experience.
I have never understood this thinking at all.

so you are telling me if henrik lundqvist is on the leafs they dont make the playoffs? If the other option is Scrivens or Gustavsson, you are right, no playoffs in all likelyhood. but there is a number of goalies that would have lead this team to the playoffs.

deuce457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Reimer is only 25 and, IMO, was excellent in the series against the Bruins — the defense in front of him let him down, and it doesn't help that they were playing a big, net crashing team in Boston. Remember, this was Reimer's first playoff action — patience, folks. What would have happened if Rangers' management freaked out about how Lundqvist played in the 2006 playoffs (where he was terrible and pulled)?

Goalies are an enigma, especially younger ones. Reimer has showed a LOT of potential to grow into a very, very good goalie. Get him a tougher/superior defense, and he'll continue to provide excellent goaltending.
Good post. Although I'm not sure that Reimer has a comparable grasp of fundamentals or the same ceiling as Lundqvist. Time will tell.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:57 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
Good post. Although I'm not sure that Reimer has a comparable grasp of fundamentals or the same ceiling as Lundqvist. Time will tell.
That wasn't really my point but I do think that Reimer could easily become a top-10, or even a top-5 goalie. He impressed me heavily in this series.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:59 PM
CellarDweller0

There isn't a goalie in the league that isn't susceptible to what happened to Reimer last night. I don't see a goalie on the market that is such an obvious upgrade that is work replacing him with.

I would upgrade the D in front of him to help Reimer become the goalie is capable of being.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zeke
#TeamReimer

reimer played great regular season and playoffs.

He's been great every year he's played hockey, aside from last year's concussed season.

One of the youngest goalies in the league.

and for all the talk about rebounds, rask gave up more rebound goals last night than Reimer did.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
number72

923 SV% in playoffs. I don't think goaltending was the problem. Sure we could find a better goalie and that might win us another game every 5 games but really upgrading the leafs defence would have a much larger impact in preventing goals and keep the puck out of the leafs end.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:12 PM
deuce457

Like the OP I thought Reimer played well in the playoffs, but I dont think he is an elite goalie. He scares me on shots that are high and miss the net, he just stares and looks forward acting like he has never even seen the shot. He gets a little out of control, kicks out big rebounds and cant catch the puck. All things that are very concerning. But at the end of the day he played well enough for the Leafs to beat the Bruins 3 times in the playoffs. No one came into the season with expectations of winning the stanley cup. Reimer has impressed his teammates, they clearly like the guy, lets see what he can do in a full season of play and hopefully another playoff run.

For a cap hit of $1.8M you could do a lot worse. What are the other options? Deal for Luongo? Who would likely be an upgrade in the short term, but longterm i think we all know that story.

I think management likely has some concerns with what they have seen, simply based on the Kiprusoff rumours. My guess is the leafs draft a top goalie prospect this year, let him develop for a couple years and assess reimer after that.

deuce457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor

Nothing wrong with Reimer at all. Goalies aren't perfect lol. Get some better D and a #1/#2 Centre that's good at face-offs and watch him shine for Vezina contention. Guaranteed.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:17 PM
LeaffanDM

as good as he played this year etc. and i am not knocking his talent. what happend last night was all mental. they let the 3rd goal get in their heads and the nerves took over. his play started to get sloppy as well as the players in front of him and boston took advantage. This team need is talented, they proved that. and all the haters cant say anything about that, but what they also proved is that they are a young team, gaining experience.

what they should take away from this is that this team lacks a good 4th line. and we sorely missed Fraser on the blueline. as much as i love orr etc. the 4th line is just too slow. what i want to see on this team is a much more mobile 4th line, I want an upgrade at C and the other centers to work their ***** off this summer at taking faceoffs ie. Kadri. and if possible get another home D like fraser to settle the back end down.

LeaffanDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Kulemon

How the heck do some people put that collapse last night on Reimer? If anything I blame Carlyle and Dion. Carlyle tells his guys to just defend the lead rather than playing the way they have. He also throws Phaneuf out there to play the last whole 5 minutes it felt like when Phaneuf was horrible that game and looked like he barely could skate. Then Phaneuf and Gunnarsson **** up. I'd rather have had Gardiner and Franson out there because atleast they can get the puck out. It seems whenever Dion and Gunnar are out there we get hemmed in.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Neas Olc
Registered Abuser

Quote:
How the heck do some people put that collapse last night on Reimer?
Because the goalie is the easiest to blame and takes the least amount of critical thinking. The lower the IQ, the higher chance of blaming the man in the mask.

Neas Olc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:26 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Guys, where was Reimer before the start of the season? Where is he now? Before throwing him out, consider his growth this season. And ask yourself, why can't he grow from here? He has been the best after people doubt him. Look after the trade deadline, his save percentage was through the roof. He will bounce back better than ever.
Leafs nation simply can't have nice things. This fanbase is frustrating as hell sometimes.

Most goalies don't actually make a major impact until their late 20s, Reimer broke into the league at age 22, and he just turned 25 only a couple of months ago. He's gone through a lot of development and went through a major coaching change over the past year as well, both head coach and goalie coach.

Why do people cap his potential?

A lot of goalies at Reimer's age barely played in the NHL or were JUST breaking in, Ryan Miller for example had his breakout season at age 25. Lundqvist entered the league at age 23, a year older than Reimer, Quick also became a starter at age 23, Pekka Rinne became a full-time goalie at age 27, Jimmy Howard had his rookie year at age 25, Corey Crawford age 26, Niemi age 26, and hell, even Cory Schneider, though he's been in the league a few seasons, only truly became a starting goalie this year, at the tender age of 27.

If all of these goalies entered the league at ages later than Reimer who was 22 when he did (some of them much later), why are we writing Reimer off right now? Why is it a given that he won't develop anymore?

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote