HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Buffalo Sabres - "The Blueprint"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-14-2013, 04:40 PM
  #1
NOVA Sabres Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Buffalo Sabres - "The Blueprint"

Long time lurker here.

Felt compelled to post because of Buffalo's unique position it finds itself in this offseason.

Also, wanted to offer my 2 cents on an assortment of things Sabres related...

1. I was sad to see DR get the nod to continue as Sabres GM with how important this summer is to the organization. While I understand the reluctance for TB/TP to fire him due to his success in trades and draft during their tenure. I honestly feel like you can't ignore 16 years of failure (not winning a cup).

2. Myers. I'm sure glad the majority of Sabres fans that bash this kid on this site and HB aren't decision makers for the Sabres Front Office. So many people fail to realize that players of this size/skill set do not come along very often. Does anyone recall how many years it took Chara to grow into his frame? Look what he turned into once he figured it all out. Is there a chance that Myers doesn't pan out? Of course! Bottom line with him is that IF the Sabres deal him (big if), then will be asking for a kings ransom in return (fact). Perception is key in this discussion with Myers.

3. Trading up in draft. Not. Going. To. Happen! And shouldn't happen Why? At this point Buffalo fans should be well versed with another highly successful organization their team faces on a yearly basis (New England Patriots). Any wonder how that team consistently maintains its excellence? By large part their HOF QB/Head Coach combo, but also the fact that they stockpile draft picks every single year. The saying, "We're playing chess, while everyone else is playing checkers" comes to mind. It's a numbers game for them. Just like most things in life, the more of anything you have the odds increase that one of the items or things you've chosen will turn out well, or into something exceptional. Same can be said for drafting. You give me 5 picks in the first 2 rounds, and I'll show you a team that has increased odds of finding impact players. Don't get me wrong though, having Superstars on your team is great in-both the product on the ice - along with the financial aspects of increased ticket sales/marketing/sponsorship/merchandise/etc. It simply comes down to mathematics, the more picks you have each draft compared to your competition = higher % of success for your organization (unless you've got someone like Mike Milbury drafting for you).

4. Vanek. Most of you on this site are greatly undervaluing this guy. As a few people here have posted, there's only one other guy in the NHL that has scored 20+ goals since the '05-'06 seasons (OV). He is by far the most valued asset available this offseason. One comment I keep seeing over and over again on various sites is how his 1 year remaining is such a negative, and that Sabres fans don't understand how much this will hurt the return they will get because of this. You know what I'd say to those people? Obviously you don't pay that much attention to the NHL and its history over the past......let's say 3 or 4 decades! In instances like this where you have an elite player available for whatever reason, there is ALWAYS a GM who is willing to take that gamble and overpay for that player. Whether it is to try and save his job, or because they think that player is the one piece they are missing for a championship, or take for instance a team like the NYI who have been awful for years and years and are getting ready to move into a new arena. I have no clue what they will get in return for TV, but I can imagine it will be multiple 1st round picks (especially if it is a contender that will pick low), or a high/mid 1st and 2nd, along with multiple (2-3) highly rated prospects/young NHL roster players with very high potential.

5. Miller. While I personally am not a huge Miller fan, he is capable of doing exceptional things when he's got a decent defense in front of him. His numbers don't stand out (except for his Vezina year), but if you look closer you can see he's pretty much top 10 almost every year. We all know about his personal life (wife living in LA), I don't see him being dealt to any of the Cali teams. None of them need his services, as they all have pretty solid netminders. Right now my gut tells me something along the lines of Edmonton/Chicago/St. Louis/Pittsburgh (if MAF keeps letting in softies like he has)/Philly/NYI will be one of the teams employing Mr. Miller next season. While many people state that he won't get much in return because goalies don't have much value in the summer doesn't add up for me. Miller will not get the same return as Vanek, but I guarantee you that Miller will have more of an impact than Vanek will for his new team. Franchise goalies don't get traded every year, and someone like Miller can get on a hot streak and very likely make a deep playoff run with his new squad. That being said, I see his return being something like a 1st/2nd & a top prospect, or 1st & 2-3 prospects (1 highly touted & 1-2 mid range guys).

6. Taking back salary. Many fans of the other teams commenting on Vanek & Miller must remember that the Sabres are going to have a ton of cap space with all these moves they're making. With that available space, they will have the luxury of eating some of the salary for both of these guys. Which makes them even more valuable. Imagine TV being paired with someone like Tavares for 3.5 million and netting 40+ goals next season...bargain? You bet!

7. Guys I think could be dealt this summer.

Ennis - In what has been an incredible turn around, the Sabres went from having no centers on this team to having a deep pool of young guys that can play the middle. Hogdson - Grigs - Larsson - Porter - Foligno (RR toyed with this a few games at the end of this year). To me that leaves Ennis as a trade chip if Buffalo wanted to try and land a legitimate #1 Center and use Ennis as a filler for the other team to offset the loss.

Stafford - For obvious reasons

Sekera - He's a top 4 d-man with a lot of suitors. He could net a nice return. The Sabres have a lot of young defenseman coming through the pipeline right now, with many of them ready to take that next step.

Bottom line - This summer to me, is the most important summer in Buffalo Sabres history. I believe they are now the youngest team in the NHL, and will almost certainly be when they trade Vanek/Miller. They could potentially have 3-5 1st round picks in a very deep draft, along with multiple 2nd round picks. Many of these young players in the minors will get the taste of life in the NHL, so we'll get a nice preview of what each individual is capable of (can't wait to see Armia). In 2-3 years this Buffalo team could be a fun group to watch. Especially if they struggle mightily next year (which many people think they will) and pick in the top 3.


Last edited by NOVA Sabres Fan: 05-14-2013 at 06:44 PM.
NOVA Sabres Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:36 PM
  #2
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA Sabres Fan View Post
Long time lurker here.

Felt compelled to post because of Buffalo's unique position it finds itself in this offseason.

Also, wanted to offer my 2 cents on an assortment of things Sabres related...

1. I was sad to see DR get the nod to continue as Sabres GM with how important this summer is to the organization. While I understand the reluctance for TB/TP to fire him due to his success in trades and draft during their tenure. I honestly feel like you can't ignore 16 years of failure (not winning a cup).

2. Myers. I'm sure glad the majority of Sabres fans that bash this kid on this site and HB aren't decision makers for the Sabres Front Office. So many people fail to realize that players of this size/skill set do not come along very often. Does anyone recall how many years it took Chara to grow into his frame? Look what he turned into once he figured it all out. Is there a chance that Myers doesn't pan out? Of course! Bottom line with him is that IF the Sabres deal him (big if), then will be asking for a kings ransom in return (fact). Perception is key in this discussion with Myers.

3. Trading up in draft. Not. Going. To. Happen! And shouldn't happen Why? At this point Buffalo fans should be well versed with another highly successful organization their team faces on a yearly basis (New England Patriots). Any wonder how that team consistently maintains its excellence? By large part their HOF QB/Head Coach combo, but also the fact that they stockpile draft picks every single year. The saying, "We're playing chess, while everyone else is playing checkers" comes to mind. It's a numbers game for them. Just like most things in life, the more of anything you have the odds increase that one of the items or things you've chosen will turn out well, or into something exceptional. Same can be said for drafting. You give me 5 picks in the first 2 rounds, and I'll show you a team that has increased odds of finding impact players. Don't get me wrong though, having Superstars on your team is great in-both the product on the ice - along with the financial aspects of increased ticket sales/marketing/sponsorship/merchandise/etc. It simply comes down to mathematics, the more picks you have each draft compared to your competition = higher % of success for your organization (unless you've got someone like Mike Milbury drafting for you).

4. Vanek. Most of you on this site are greatly undervaluing this guy. As a few people here have posted, there's only one other guy in the NHL that has scored 20+ goals since the '05-'06 seasons (OV). He is by far the most valued asset available this offseason. One comment I keep seeing over and over again on various sites is how his 1 year remaining is such a negative, and that Sabres fans don't understand how much this will hurt the return they will get because of this. You know what I'd say to those people? Obviously you don't pay that much attention to the NHL and its history over the past......let's say 3 or 4 decades! In instances like this where you have an elite player available for whatever reason, there is ALWAYS a GM who is willing to take that gamble and overpay for that player. Whether it is to try and save his job, or because they think that player is the one piece they are missing for a championship, or take for instance a team like the NYI who have been awful for years and years and are getting ready to move into a new arena. I have no clue what they will get in return for TV, but I can imagine it will be multiple 1st round picks (especially if it is a contender that will pick low), or a high/mid 1st and 2nd, along with multiple (2-3) highly rated prospects/young NHL roster players with very high potential.

5. Miller. While I personally am not a huge Miller fan, he is capable of doing exceptional things when he's got a decent defense in front of him. His numbers don't stand out (except for his Vezina year), but if you look closer you can see he's pretty much top 10 almost every year. We all know about his personal life (wife living in LA), I don't see him being dealt to any of the Cali teams. None of them need his services, as they all have pretty solid netminders. Right now my gut tells me something along the lines of Edmonton/Chicago/St. Louis/Pittsburgh (if MAF keeps letting in softies like he has)/Philly/NYI will be one of the teams employing Mr. Miller next season. While many people state that he won't get much in return because goalies don't have much value in the summer doesn't add up for me. Miller will not get the same return as Vanek, but I guarantee you that Miller will have more of an impact than Vanek will for his new team. Franchise goalies don't get traded every year, and someone like Miller can get on a hot streak and very likely make a deep playoff run with his new squad. That being said, I see his return being something like a 1st/2nd & a top prospect, or 1st & 2-3 prospects (1 highly touted & 1-2 mid range guys).

6. Taking back salary. Many fans of the other teams commenting on Vanek & Miller must remember that the Sabres are going to have a ton of cap space with all these moves they're making. With that available space, they will have the luxury of eating some of the salary for both of these guys. Which makes them even more valuable. Imagine TV being paired with someone like Tavares for 3.5 million and netting 40+ goals next season...bargain? You bet!

7. Guys I think could be dealt this summer.

Ennis - In what has been an incredible turn around, the Sabres went from having no centers on this team to having a deep pool of young guys that can play the middle. Hogdson - Grigs - Larsson - Porter - Foligno (RR toyed with this a few games at the end of this year). To me that leaves Ennis as a trade chip if Buffalo wanted to try and land a legitimate #1 Center and use Ennis as a filler for the other team to offset the loss.

Stafford - For obvious reasons

Sekera - He's a top 4 d-man with a lot of suitors. He could net a nice return. The Sabres have a lot of young defenseman coming through the pipeline right now, with many of them ready to take that next step.

Bottom line - This summer to me, is the most important summer in Buffalo Sabres history. I believe they are now the youngest team in the NHL, and will almost certainly be when they trade Vanek/Miller. They could potentially have 4-6 1st round picks in a very deep draft, along with multiple 2nd round picks. Many of these young players in the minors will get the taste of life in the NHL, so we'll get a nice preview of what each individual is capable of (can't wait to see Armia). In 2-3 years this Buffalo team could be a fun group to watch. Especially if they struggle mightily next year (which many people think they will) and pick in the top 3.
Don't really think you guys get that many picks

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:55 PM
  #3
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 33,206
vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA Sabres Fan View Post
Long time lurker here.

Felt compelled to post because of Buffalo's unique position it finds itself in this offseason.





3. Trading up in draft. Not. Going. To. Happen! And shouldn't happen Why? At this point Buffalo fans should be well versed with another highly successful organization their team faces on a yearly basis (New England Patriots). Any wonder how that team consistently maintains its excellence? By large part their HOF QB/Head Coach combo, but also the fact that they stockpile draft picks every single year. The saying, "We're playing chess, while everyone else is playing checkers" comes to mind. It's a numbers game for them. Just like most things in life, the more of anything you have the odds increase that one of the items or things you've chosen will turn out well, or into something exceptional. Same can be said for drafting. You give me 5 picks in the first 2 rounds, and I'll show you a team that has increased odds of finding impact players. Don't get me wrong though, having Superstars on your team is great in-both the product on the ice - along with the financial aspects of increased ticket sales/marketing/sponsorship/merchandise/etc. It simply comes down to mathematics, the more picks you have each draft compared to your competition = higher % of success for your organization (unless you've got someone like Mike Milbury drafting for you).

4. Vanek. Most of you on this site are greatly undervaluing this guy. As a few people here have posted, there's only one other guy in the NHL that has scored 20+ goals since the '05-'06 seasons (OV). He is by far the most valued asset available this offseason. One comment I keep seeing over and over again on various sites is how his 1 year remaining is such a negative, and that Sabres fans don't understand how much this will hurt the return they will get because of this. You know what I'd say to those people? Obviously you don't pay that much attention to the NHL and its history over the past......let's say 3 or 4 decades! In instances like this where you have an elite player available for whatever reason, there is ALWAYS a GM who is willing to take that gamble and overpay for that player. Whether it is to try and save his job, or because they think that player is the one piece they are missing for a championship, or take for instance a team like the NYI who have been awful for years and years and are getting ready to move into a new arena. I have no clue what they will get in return for TV, but I can imagine it will be multiple 1st round picks (especially if it is a contender that will pick low), or a high/mid 1st and 2nd, along with multiple (2-3) highly rated prospects/young NHL roster players with very high potential.

. Right now my gut tells me something along the lines of Edmonton/Chicago/St. Louis/Pittsburgh (if MAF keeps letting in softies like he has)/Philly/NYI will be one of the teams employing Mr. Miller next season. While many people state that he won't get much in return because goalies don't have much value in the summer doesn't add up for me. Miller will not get the same return as Vanek, but I guarantee you that Miller will have more of an impact than Vanek will for his new team. Franchise goalies don't get traded every year, and someone like Miller can get on a hot streak and very likely make a deep playoff run with his new squad. That being said, I see his return being something like a 1st/2nd & a top prospect, or 1st & 2-3 prospects (1 highly touted & 1-2 mid range guys).

6. Taking back salary. Many fans of the other teams commenting on Vanek & Miller must remember that the Sabres are going to have a ton of cap space with all these moves they're making. With that available space, they will have the luxury of eating some of the salary for both of these guys. Which makes them even more valuable. Imagine TV being paired with someone like Tavares for 3.5 million and netting 40+ goals next season...bargain? You bet!



3.
Nice of you to consider the NYI, but Snow with his budget restrictions, has already indicated he's not dealing significant assets for short term rentals.

Sabres retaining salary only helps in 2013-2014. The isles would be on the hook 100% on any extensions.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:39 PM
  #4
NOVA Sabres Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Apologies, was supposed to say 3-5 picks. Already have 2, Both Vanek and Miller will conceivably fetch a first each (now at 4) - with the possibility that someone like Columbus who has 3 1st round picks could deal 2 for an impact player like Vanek. Would he be the type to push a team like Columbus into the playoffs next season (see my above post regarding teams GM's looking to change/alter the teams perception). We'll be in a great position moving forward regardless, as next year we'll also have Ott as an asset that could fetch a 1st at the deadline if we're in the cellar.

I really don't think those are a stretch by any means.


Last edited by NOVA Sabres Fan: 05-14-2013 at 06:46 PM.
NOVA Sabres Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:51 PM
  #5
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,534
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
If you trade Ennis and Vanek, who will play LW? Who will be on the PP? You would literally be trading away our two most talented and creative offensive players from a team that doesn't score much as is.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:43 PM
  #6
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 42,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA Sabres Fan View Post

2. Myers. I'm sure glad the majority of Sabres fans that bash this kid on this site and HB aren't decision makers for the Sabres Front Office. So many people fail to realize that players of this size/skill set do not come along very often.
people "fail to realize" that 6'8" defensemen who skate like Scott Niedermayer, dont come along very often?

Im pretty sure nobody failed to realize that.

Quote:
Does anyone recall how many years it took Chara to grow into his frame?
nope, nobody recalls that

Quote:
Look what he turned into once he figured it all out.
Look what Boris Valabik turned into once he figure it all out


Quote:
3. Trading up in draft. Not. Going. To. Happen! And shouldn't happen Why? At this point Buffalo fans should be well versed with another highly successful organization their team faces on a yearly basis (New England Patriots). Any wonder how that team consistently maintains its excellence? By large part their HOF QB/Head Coach combo, but also the fact that they stockpile draft picks every single year. The saying, "We're playing chess, while everyone else is playing checkers" comes to mind. It's a numbers game for them. Just like most things in life, the more of anything you have the odds increase that one of the items or things you've chosen will turn out well, or into something exceptional. Same can be said for drafting. You give me 5 picks in the first 2 rounds, and I'll show you a team that has increased odds of finding impact players. Don't get me wrong though, having Superstars on your team is great in-both the product on the ice - along with the financial aspects of increased ticket sales/marketing/sponsorship/merchandise/etc. It simply comes down to mathematics, the more picks you have each draft compared to your competition = higher % of success for your organization (unless you've got someone like Mike Milbury drafting for you).
I thought you were joking at first... it turns out that you were totally serious when you compared the NFL draft to the NHL draft.

Quote:
4. Vanek. Most of you on this site are greatly undervaluing this guy. As a few people here have posted, there's only one other guy in the NHL that has scored 20+ goals since the '05-'06 seasons (OV). He is by far the most valued asset available this offseason. One comment I keep seeing over and over again on various sites is how his 1 year remaining is such a negative, and that Sabres fans don't understand how much this will hurt the return they will get because of this. You know what I'd say to those people? Obviously you don't pay that much attention to the NHL and its history over the past......let's say 3 or 4 decades! In instances like this where you have an elite player available for whatever reason, there is ALWAYS a GM who is willing to take that gamble and overpay for that player. Whether it is to try and save his job, or because they think that player is the one piece they are missing for a championship, or take for instance a team like the NYI who have been awful for years and years and are getting ready to move into a new arena. I have no clue what they will get in return for TV, but I can imagine it will be multiple 1st round picks (especially if it is a contender that will pick low), or a high/mid 1st and 2nd, along with multiple (2-3) highly rated prospects/young NHL roster players with very high potential.
what is your reference point for your perceived trade value of Vanek.

I'm glad you admit that you have no clue what we will get in return for Vanek, right before imagining all sorts of ludicrous returns.

I pay plenty of attention to the history of trades, that's how I know that the 1 year remaining is a MAJOR factor in his trade value.

Gaborik had more than a year remaining and he returned a good young NHLer, a middle tier young defensemen, and a 4th line scrub. No 1sts, no high end prospects.... just a good solid hockey trade.

Olli Jokinen was traded at Vanek's age, and he had over a year left on his deal.... he was coming off 3 straight 35+ goal seasons.... he had 80-90 pt seasons... and he was traded for Keith Ballard, Boynton, and a 2nd... and then for Lombardi, Prust, 1st.... neither of which are huge returns.

Vanek's trade value is absolutely affected by the 1 remaining year... GMs aren't giving up decades of controllable assets (two 1sts = 14 years of asset control), for one year of Vanek.

You should wake up

Quote:
5. Miller. While I personally am not a huge Miller fan, he is capable of doing exceptional things when he's got a decent defense in front of him. His numbers don't stand out (except for his Vezina year), but if you look closer you can see he's pretty much top 10 almost every year. We all know about his personal life (wife living in LA), I don't see him being dealt to any of the Cali teams. None of them need his services, as they all have pretty solid netminders. Right now my gut tells me something along the lines of Edmonton/Chicago/St. Louis/Pittsburgh (if MAF keeps letting in softies like he has)/Philly/NYI will be one of the teams employing Mr. Miller next season. While many people state that he won't get much in return because goalies don't have much value in the summer doesn't add up for me. Miller will not get the same return as Vanek, but I guarantee you that Miller will have more of an impact than Vanek will for his new team. Franchise goalies don't get traded every year, and someone like Miller can get on a hot streak and very likely make a deep playoff run with his new squad. That being said, I see his return being something like a 1st/2nd & a top prospect, or 1st & 2-3 prospects (1 highly touted & 1-2 mid range guys).
the goalie market is over saturated... someone can sign Backstrom or give up a fart and a 2nd for Luongo. Miller isn't returning anything in the ballpark of what you are expecting.

You need to get you trade value detector calibrated.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:59 PM
  #7
glasses91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Steelheads!?
Country: Canada
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
lmao @ fart and a 2nd for Lu.

I know Lu is amazing its just funny.

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:19 PM
  #8
Analyzer*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,973
vCash: 50
Myers is probably a rare player for someone who is 6'8 and skates so well.

However, his terrible defense is quite replaceable.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:44 PM
  #9
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,634
vCash: 500
Sabres should follow the model Tallon and Fletcher have been applying.

Trade whoever has value that doesn't want to or won't be with the team a few years down the road for picks/prospects (i.e. Ballard, Horton, Burns). Replace those players with veteran free agents on short term deals (Cullen, JovoCop, Kuba) or through trade by players that are underperforming (Versteeg from Philly).

Then let your prospect develop patiently.

Then in the case of Minny add key free agents (Suter/Parise).

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:52 PM
  #10
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,258
vCash: 500
Sabres should take Tallinder back from NJ to kick start Myers again

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:06 PM
  #11
caley
Moderator
 
caley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Sabres should take Tallinder back from NJ to kick start Myers again
I actually don't know why Buffalo hasn't done this. I can't imagine New Jersey is terribly keen to hang on to him at all costs, especially when it puts Adam Larsson occasionally in the press box (Another Devils decision I could not understand!). It would be an absolute no-risk situation, throw a draft pick New Jersey's way, pair Tallinder and Myers up and see if Myers turns it around, if not, no big deal.

__________________
Dan O'Toole: "So if I have this right, only acceptable goal celebration in NHL is to put hands at your sides and then feel shame."
caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:10 PM
  #12
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA Sabres Fan View Post


3. Trading up in draft. Not. Going. To. Happen! And shouldn't happen Why? At this point Buffalo fans should be well versed with another highly successful organization their team faces on a yearly basis (New England Patriots). Any wonder how that team consistently maintains its excellence? By large part their HOF QB/Head Coach combo, but also the fact that they stockpile draft picks every single year. The saying, "We're playing chess, while everyone else is playing checkers" comes to mind. It's a numbers game for them. Just like most things in life, the more of anything you have the odds increase that one of the items or things you've chosen will turn out well, or into something exceptional. Same can be said for drafting. You give me 5 picks in the first 2 rounds, and I'll show you a team that has increased odds of finding impact players.
I understand what you are saying----but the NFL is a bad exaple.....why.....

In the NFL its commonplace to get impact players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and even the 4th round.

In hockey---not at all like that.

Look back at past drafts in the 2nd round and ask yourself how many impact players (top 6 forward/top 4 Dman) have been picked then or later. The numbers are so few that collecting 2nd and 3rd round picks can be collecting garbage.

Buffalo has done a good job in getting players in the 2nd and 3rd. But even they have missed.

Someone else has trqcked quality 1st round picks over the years and has shown the top 12 picks are a good shot with getting and impact player while picks 20+ are alot less likely of getting such an impact player with many of them never even sniffing the NHL.

Many on hear think they can easily move from 20s to a top 12 pick....it takes alot to do that....more than many think.

When you are this high as Buffalo is, and with moveable pieces you can move up a few spots in the draft easily without feeling like you are mortgaging the future.

I disagree with many having Buffalo give up too much in picks and players to move up...but I think it can be done.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:14 PM
  #13
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Don't really think you guys get that many picks
The OP is thinking that a trade of Vanek and Miller would include a 1st round pick in their deals. Sekera and Ennis could return 1st....Stafford possibly could return a 1st, or at least 2 2nds.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:24 PM
  #14
FifthLine
Registered User
 
FifthLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,737
vCash: 500
What would the price be for Ott to the leafs? I know he didn't have a great season, and had some media related problems or something like that? What would you want?

FifthLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:26 PM
  #15
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeaf1331 View Post
What would the price be for Ott to the leafs? I know he didn't have a great season, and had some media related problems or something like that? What would you want?

maybe JVR

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:41 AM
  #16
Dixon
Registered User
 
Dixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 1,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeaf1331 View Post
What would the price be for Ott to the leafs? I know he didn't have a great season, and had some media related problems or something like that? What would you want?
Actually he did have a great season and is the likely favorite to be the next captain for the Sabres. He provided leadership, grit and some scoring too. I blame him for the Sabres not having a top 3 pick this year because it seemed like he willed the other players to give their all even though they had no chance to make it to the playoffs.

As for the media, right now the Buffalo News has very high writer to hack ratio. Mike Harrington who is a baseball guy basically lied about certain things Sabres players said and Ott called him out on it. The fans are in love with Ott and supported him fully when he spoke up against the media. If you want Steve Ott, it is gonna cost you, a lot.

Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:57 AM
  #17
haterbehatin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
maybe JVR
So just not interested in dealing Ott? I only ask because I would think at this point JVR has significantly higher value that Ott.

haterbehatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:53 AM
  #18
northernKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 500
Myers could turn it around but his decision making is still very bad. Personally I'd try him up front like Burns because he does have good hands but just jumps into the play at wrong times

I think Vanek will bring back the most of any pending UFA in recent years. IMO Vanek has no weakness in his game. Would love to see him in LA on Kopitars wing but don't think LA has cap space or enough assets to make deal happen.

IMO I think Miller would be good fit in Phoenix. Smith may likely sign elsewhere and Miller could give them a top end goaltender and likely sign extension to be closer to his wife.

I also think Briere could find his way back in buffalo with Philadelphia looking to shed his cap hit and buffalo benefitting from his low salary but high cap hit. Also keeps Briere on east coast close to his family.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 03:38 AM
  #19
tsujimoto74
Moderator
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haterbehatin View Post
So just not interested in dealing Ott? I only ask because I would think at this point JVR has significantly higher value that Ott.
Nailed it. He's a fan favorite and one of only a few players we have who has anything that resembles leadership or accountability.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:57 AM
  #20
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,534
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by haterbehatin View Post
So just not interested in dealing Ott? I only ask because I would think at this point JVR has significantly higher value that Ott.
We can't trade Ott because he's BFFs with Mike Weber and we need a third line pest and a 6/7th defenseman to combine their powers to form a BFF leadership duo. That's how it works in the NHL, right?

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:17 AM
  #21
tsujimoto74
Moderator
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
We can't trade Ott because he's BFFs with Mike Weber and we need a third line pest and a 6/7th defenseman to combine their powers to form a BFF leadership duo. That's how it works in the NHL, right?
Would you be happier if we traded Weber and Ott and made Ennis captain?

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:21 AM
  #22
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,534
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Would you be happier if we traded Weber and Ott and made Ennis captain?
At least you'd have a young guy who the team counts on in a leadership role, rather than two role players.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:12 AM
  #23
NOVA Sabres Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Sabres should follow the model Tallon and Fletcher have been applying.

Trade whoever has value that doesn't want to or won't be with the team a few years down the road for picks/prospects (i.e. Ballard, Horton, Burns). Replace those players with veteran free agents on short term deals (Cullen, JovoCop, Kuba) or through trade by players that are underperforming (Versteeg from Philly).

Then let your prospect develop patiently.

Then in the case of Minny add key free agents (Suter/Parise).
+1 - This should be the model going forward. Hopefully the Sabres brass stick to their "rebuilding" mindset, and don't find themselves inching back to the "we're only a few players from competing" that has plagued them for so many years.

NOVA Sabres Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:21 AM
  #24
NOVA Sabres Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
I understand what you are saying----but the NFL is a bad exaple.....why.....

In the NFL its commonplace to get impact players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and even the 4th round.

In hockey---not at all like that.

Look back at past drafts in the 2nd round and ask yourself how many impact players (top 6 forward/top 4 Dman) have been picked then or later. The numbers are so few that collecting 2nd and 3rd round picks can be collecting garbage.

Buffalo has done a good job in getting players in the 2nd and 3rd. But even they have missed.

Someone else has trqcked quality 1st round picks over the years and has shown the top 12 picks are a good shot with getting and impact player while picks 20+ are alot less likely of getting such an impact player with many of them never even sniffing the NHL.

Many on hear think they can easily move from 20s to a top 12 pick....it takes alot to do that....more than many think.

When you are this high as Buffalo is, and with moveable pieces you can move up a few spots in the draft easily without feeling like you are mortgaging the future.

I disagree with many having Buffalo give up too much in picks and players to move up...but I think it can be done.
Your missing the point. Of course you'll find a large percentage of today's NHL star players in the top 5 of the past 10-15 drafts (just like most other professional leagues). Look at it this way, over the course of 3-4 years (as an example), if one team kept drafting 2 guys in the first few rounds (total of 6-8 players) - while the other (who was in a major rebuilding effort) traded away most of their top assets and accumulated 4-5 picks in the same rounds (total of 16-20 players). To me it is a numbers game, the more you have the better your odds improve to find guys to win a cup.

Drafting is not a science, every single team misses out on guys. I'm of the mindset that over time you'll have a bigger advantage than most because you will in fact find some players that turn into great/excellent players.


Last edited by NOVA Sabres Fan: 05-15-2013 at 10:33 AM.
NOVA Sabres Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:24 AM
  #25
NOVA Sabres Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
The OP is thinking that a trade of Vanek and Miller would include a 1st round pick in their deals. Sekera and Ennis could return 1st....Stafford possibly could return a 1st, or at least 2 2nds.
I don't think there is anyway Stafford would get a 1st rounder back, but all one needs to do is look at what was being said about Gaustad at the deadline. Like I said before, there are always GM's that will overpay. It happens every single year.

NOVA Sabres Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.