HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

What gives us the best chance next year in net?

View Poll Results: Which goaltender option is best?
Pavelec and Montoya 19 27.14%
Pavelec and Emery/Scrivens 34 48.57%
2 of Emery/Scrivens/Bernier/Someone else 17 24.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Resurrection

vCash: 50
What gives us the best chance next year in net?

Edit: The option C) should be a reasonable guy like Scrivens or Emery: someone who could be gotten on the cheap and and not a star like Lundqust or Quick. lulz.

So next season we have Pavelec and Montoya likely in net. But if you were made GM for the year and could make the appropriate moves to get us the following, which would you prefer?

A) Status quo, Pavelec and Montoya
B) Pavelec, with either Scrivens or Emery as a tandem
c) 2 of either Scrivens/Emery/Bernier/*Insert goaltender here*

Last edited by Resurrection: 05-14-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:31 PM
bluefan

vCash: 159
I say Pavelec and Montoya.

Pavelecs Pavelec. Will be a regular fixture in the Hightlight of the Night reels, but he needs to be more consistent. Not asking for shutouts or 1 goal games, but he needs to stop having those 4+ GAA games.

Montoya I think could've made a solid contribution if not for the shortened season. And the guy has got to stop getting injured too lol.

bluefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:34 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefan View Post
I say Pavelec and Montoya.

Pavelecs Pavelec. Will be a regular fixture in the Hightlight of the Night reels, but he needs to be more consistent. Not asking for shutouts or 1 goal games, but he needs to stop having those 4+ GAA games.

Montoya I think could've made a solid contribution if not for the shortened season. And the guy has got to stop getting injured too lol.
Why aren't you asking for shutouts or one goal games. Those games are generally wins.

I want wins.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Why aren't you asking for shutouts or one goal games. Those games are generally wins.

I want wins.
especially considering how few of those pavelec had, that's exactly what i'm asking for.

My answer to the Poll "2 of someone else" not only because of the obvious wholes in the logic of not narrowing the choice of "somone else" down to something obviously reasonable, but because even using the names listed i would feel most confident with a tandem of Bernier and Pavelec.

But since it just said "someone else" i believe the tandem of Bernier and Henrik Lundqvist gives Winnipeg the best situation in net going forward.

And since the poll doesn't state anything about justifying how we've acquired Henrik Lundqvist, i'll just leave it at that.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:41 PM
koth

vCash: 162
I would like to see how Pavelec does when he is challenged for the #1 spot. He has never been challenged in his tenure with the Thrashers/Jets organization. Maybe he will become a better goalie if he has someone behind him that is capable of taking his spot away. We all know how much Pavelec loves to play, so having a backup that is more than a backup might drive him to be that much better.

koth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:44 PM
bluefan

Quote:

I want wins.
Because having a realist mentality, it's not something I can see Pavelec doing regularly. Watched him in his nations jersey against Canada and that wrap around from Skinner...

I still think he has the potential, but I would like to see a more consistent game from him first than worry about padding stats.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Resurrection

Quote:
Because having a realist mentality, it's not something I can see Pavelec doing regularly. Watched him in his nations jersey against Canada and that wrap around from Skinner...

I still think he has the potential, but I would like to see a more consistent game from him first than worry about padding stats.
If Pavs can't deliver us shut outs and 1 goal games here and there he isn't our guy.

Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Huffer

Shouldn't option 2 just be Pavelec and someone else? The poll is skewed so that if we are keeping Pavs, our only other option is Montoya, Emery or Scrivens.

A) Pavs and Montoya
B) Pavs and someone else
C) Two new goalies

I'll go with B for the above, but not in the poll because I think there could be better options than Emery and Scrivens.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:51 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Just bring in Luongo already

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
If Pavs can't deliver us shut outs and 1 goal games here and there he isn't our guy.
I haven't run the numbers for the rest of the league, but i'm close to agreeing with Res here.

The jets held their opponents to one goal or less only 9 times this season, 2 of those games being Al Montoya.

Pavelec had 7 one goal games, only 2 of which came against teams that finished above us in the standings.

Furthermore, the Jets won every single game in which pavelec (or montoya) only allowed two goals or less (barring one so loss to boston).

Now i haven't checked the numbers against the competition, but that means to maintain a dcent GAA (which i know isn't as good a teller as sv%, but still) pavelec could only have allowed 10 or so games with more then 2 goals against in them.

Again, i haven't looked at the competition, but that doesn't sound exactly "awe inspiring" to me. It actually seemed like pavelec "kept us in" games until halfway through the second period alot, but then would collapse.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:04 PM
bluefan

Quote:
Well, looking at his overall stats since he started in the NHL, not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion he can regularly deliver us those kind of games. 10 shutouts and a GAA of 2.95.

I would love to see him go on a rampage with a GAA lower than 2 and SV% above .920, but I just want him to stop letting in those soft goals on a regular basis first.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:44 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Not voting, but only because I would have chosen "Pavelec and someone else". I think someone needs to push Pavs to move to the next level, and as much as I like Montoya, I don't think he can.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Pavelec + Bernier should be an option.

I'd give the Kings Burmistrov for Bernier

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:16 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
If you expect that all the time you are seriously being unrealistic

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Not voting, but only because I would have chosen "Pavelec and someone else". I think someone needs to push Pavs to move to the next level, and as much as I like Montoya, I don't think he can.
This.

I absolutely want a goalie who can legitimately challenge and potentially overtake Pavelec. Scrivens and Emery would not be my first two choices. Is Scrivens even on the market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
If you expect that all the time you are seriously being unrealistic
Note that he said here and there.

And it's no more unrealistic than expecting a first or second line forward to deliver a multi-point game here and there.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:37 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Well, looking at his overall stats since he started in the NHL, not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion he can regularly deliver us those kind of games. 10 shutouts and a GAA of 2.95.

I would love to see him go on a rampage with a GAA lower than 2 and SV% above .920, but I just want him to stop letting in those soft goals on a regular basis first.
I don't really care about GAA as save % goes up, GAA goes down.

GAA is quite literally sv% multiplied by shots against.

.920 sv% vs 26 shots per game = 2.08 GAA
.920 sv% vs 32 shots per game = 2.56 GAA

Old
05-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
This.

I absolutely want a goalie who can legitimately challenge and potentially overtake Pavelec. Scrivens and Emery would not be my first two choices. Is Scrivens even on the market?

Note that he said here and there.

And it's no more unrealistic than expecting a first or second line forward to deliver a multi-point game here and there.
Quote:
I don't really care about GAA as save % goes up, GAA goes down.

GAA is quite literally sv% multiplied by shots against.

.920 sv% vs 26 shots per game = 2.08 GAA
.920 sv% vs 32 shots per game = 2.56 GAA
Totally agree with you hank and it should be noted, that expecting pav's to post more 1 goal/shutout games is not being unrealistic at all.

I jsut went through the list of all eastern conference playoff teams. Washington and winnipeg were the only teams to have only 9 1 goal against, or shutout games. If i'm not mistaken, the islanders were the next lowest with 14.

9-14 is a pretty significant difference.

Again, i agree that gaa isn't that important of a stat, but i mostly wanted to through this up for those that at sometime (less frequent now, thankfully) argue our forwards can't help Pavelec in close games.

In actuallity, it would appear that more often then not it's the otherwise around.

edit as i forgot: the jets also did not lose a single game in which they allowed 2 or less goals against.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:19 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Count me in this group.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:12 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post

edit as i forgot: the jets also did not lose a single game in which they allowed 2 or less goals against.
That is a scary stat, certainly singling out a problem that I'm sadly not confident will be adressed in the off season.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:00 PM
jamiebez

I voted for "Pavelec and someone else", mostly because I'm a realist.

There's no trade market for goalies at all, especially one with a lousy contract. True North won't spend real money on a buyout, so he will be here next year.

We unquestionably need a backup to push him if this is the case.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I imagine the lack of Hainsey's ass will do wonders for our .GAA

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:20 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

What gives us the best chance...
Probably some combo of Lundqvist, Rinne, Tim Thomas (minus the craziness), Rask, Miller (minus the a-holeness), Luongo, etc....

Having two of those guys would probably give the best chance

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:26 AM
sully1410

Pavs was better as the season went on, I'll spare you the math, its in the other thread. From February 19th onwards...he posted a .923 sv%.

That includes the two games vs. Washington, but minus the early flops against florida and Tampa...I chalked those up to the slow start. With the implication that Pavs is as good as he was Feb 19th and onwards at the beginning of the season, he will have much better numbers.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:38 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Pavs was better as the season went on, I'll spare you the math, its in the other thread. From February 19th onwards...he posted a .923 sv%.

That includes the two games vs. Washington, but minus the early flops against florida and Tampa...I chalked those up to the slow start. With the implication that Pavs is as good as he was Feb 19th and onwards at the beginning of the season, he will have much better numbers.
You messed up something in your math.

From Feb 19 through the end of the season Pav posted a 0.909957627 SV%

Round that up to .910 and that is better than his season total, but still below average.

At this point I'd take a .910 over what we've had the last two years though.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:51 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Pavelec + Bernier should be an option.

I'd give the Kings Burmistrov for Bernier
Pavs would soon be the backup, but do you really think the King's would give up a promising goalie for a long-shot forward who may or may not even be in the NHL in a couple of years.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote