HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

WAS/STL: Backstrom for Backes+

Old
05-14-2013, 10:56 AM
BackesInBlue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Here View Post
Swayed? You'd have to beg the Caps.

Again, people - Backstrom's not going for 2 cents on the dollar. This is a hypothetical to see if the Caps could trade an elite offensive player with a good defensive game for an elite defensive/grit game and plus offense.
Then there's really nothing the Blues have to offer.
Not to be smarmy (more an indictment on the issues with the Blues), but that whole plus offense with other caveats I don't think we even have.
Backes, I guess...but dealing him does nothing to help the Blues make the next step.

I know it may sound crazy, but the Caps may be better off trying to deal Ovie for a huge package back. If I were a Caps fan I'd rather keep Backstrom to build around. Just imho ofc.

BackesInBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Acallabeth
Curses & prophecies

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
What about a 2c and some nicer plus? Grabbo, Kulie, gunnarson/franson?
Top 6 C top 6/9 W who's strong both ways and a good 3-5 D man
Hmm... trading Backstrom for 2 depth forwards who combined for 3 points and -19 in a 7 game series, while making 8.3M, and an RFA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackesInBlue View Post
I know it may sound crazy, but the Caps may be better off trying to deal Ovie for a huge package back. If I were a Caps fan I'd rather keep Backstrom to build around. Just imho ofc.
Backstrom isn't a player that a team can be built around.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Thallis
"more effort"

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kresnik View Post
Bäckström for Tarasenko.
I'm a huge Tarasenko fanboy, but that's a done deal.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Here View Post
Caps fan. Like the Blues. Backstrom's my favorite player. IMO: Caps need a big-time shakeup and the shift needs to be towards the two-way player. The Blues need to add scoring.

Backstrom has elite offensive ability and is more than good enough defensively to fit in St. Louis.

Backes is a decent step down offensively but adds much more size and grit - maybe that would work better with Ovechkin in the playoffs than the current top line.

The plus would need to be fairly decent, I think, but I'm not sure what. But I do think this could help both teams, in no small part because of St. Louis' depth of assets across the board.

Trading Backes for Backstrom would defeat the purpose of acquiring Backstrom. He's the better player no doubt, but the whole point in acquiring him would be to push Backes down to the second line. Without Backes, Patrik Berglund becomes out second line center. That scares the hell out of me.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
I'm a huge Tarasenko fanboy, but that's a done deal.
So add Berglund and the Caps would probably think about it.

Cap'n Flavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Thallis
"more effort"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour View Post
So add Berglund and the Caps would probably think about it.
You got it.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:37 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Why do we need another RW? We have like six of them already.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

I'm convinced Backstrom was hurt in some way, shape, or form. Prior to this season, he was a .8 ppg scorer in the playoffs, and that's including a 0 2 2 line in 9 GP in 2011 and a number of series against defensive minded teams like the Rangers and Bruins. Even if you count this series, he still has the same ppg as Datsyuk in the playoffs.

With this series fresh in everyone's mind, there's almost no way that fans of other teams are going to offer up what Caps fans are looking for. Others will be looking to pay the price for the 2013 playoff version. Caps fans will be looking for offers based on the guy who has scored at more than a ppg in 413 regular season games.

All of this is ignoring the fact that if Ribeiro walks and Backstrom is downgraded to a 1B-type center, the Caps depth down the middle would be terrible. New 1B center, Perreault, possibly Laich or Johansson, Beagle. Ugggggly.

Is a shakeup needed in DC? Probably. Is moving Backstrom the best way to accomplish it? Not in my opinion. I'd move someone like Laich out first. Ships out a long-time member of the current group and hopefully sends the same message without losing such an important part of the team.

Stewie G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Lord Helix
CarvinSigX

vCash: 200
I think Perron and Berglund is a pretty good starting point. What does your organization need prospect-wise?

Lord Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:17 PM
ayyy LMAO
#would

vCash: 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I think Perron and Berglund is a pretty good starting point. What does your organization need prospect-wise?
Not Perron, not Berguland and, as stated, not prospects. The Caps are the opposite of a team that would trade production for prospects (see Erat, Brouwer).

ayyy LMAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:18 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 50
Are Cap fans now entertaining a Backstrom deal or is it still a ridiculous thought?

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:33 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Are Cap fans now entertaining a Backstrom deal or is it still a ridiculous thought?
Still can't see it without 1C coming back. Some fans may like the deal value wise, but unless we move Ovi to center () I can't see Backstrom traded in that kind of deal.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Some Caps fans are overreacting. He's not actually on the block.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:35 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
If that plus is Tarasenko.
I'd do Berglund + Tarasenko for Backstrom in a heartbeat. Couldn't not.

Separately, isn't Kuznetsov coming over after the Olympics?

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:35 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Still can't see it without 1C coming back. Some fans may like the deal value wise, but unless we move Ovi to center () I can't see Backstrom traded in that kind of deal.
Gotcha. Moving Backes from our perspective is unrealistic in reality. Maybe if we got swept and completely blown out, but we didn't, so we don't need major changes, which moving Backes would be.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:37 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Some Caps fans are overreacting. He's not actually on the block.
That's what I figured. I know right after we were eliminated some crazy ideas came up, and I guess this is your guys' version.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Lord Helix
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I'd do Berglund + Tarasenko for Backstrom in a heartbeat. Couldn't not.

Separately, isn't Kuznetsov coming over after the Olympics?
Sad thing is, Tarasenko will be lucky if he becomes as good as Perron's potential. So, every Caps fans that licks their chops at snagging the young Russian are in a dream world where Frank is Ovechkin-lite and he loves playing with Kuznetsov.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Sad thing is, Tarasenko will be lucky if he becomes as good as Perron's potential. So, every Caps fans that licks their chops at snagging the young Russian are in a dream world where Frank is Ovechkin-lite and he loves playing with Kuznetsov.
It's a handedness issue. Oates is really anal about playing guys on their strong side. Perron's a righty, and we've got a ton of those - four top 9 guys signed for 2 or more years and Wilson in the system. We've got more room for a lefty like Tarasenko. Erat and Chimera are the only dedicated wingers on that side. We do have Kuznetsov, but it's best not to count your chickens before they come to America. Not that this really matters, because acquiring either one of those guys is a pipe dream.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:06 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Gotcha. Moving Backes from our perspective is unrealistic in reality. Maybe if we got swept and completely blown out, but we didn't, so we don't need major changes, which moving Backes would be.
You can replace Backes to Backstrom to understand our position.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

Quote:
It's a handedness issue. Oates is really anal about playing guys on their strong side. Perron's a righty, and we've got a ton of those - four top 9 guys signed for 2 or more years and Wilson in the system. We've got more room for a lefty like Tarasenko. Erat and Chimera are the only dedicated wingers on that side. We do have Kuznetsov, but it's best not to count your chickens before they come to America. Not that this really matters, because acquiring either one of those guys is a pipe dream.
Perron may shoot right handed, but he plays the left side. And Tarasenko, despite being a lefty, plays the right side. But I'm pretty sure both could play either.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:36 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
You can replace Backes to Backstrom to understand our position.
Don't worry I fully understand. I don't see Backstrom being moved.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Perron may shoot right handed, but he plays the left side. And Tarasenko, despite being a lefty, plays the right side. But I'm pretty sure both could play either.
So did Ovechkin before this year, but that didn't stop Oates from moving him to the right wing. And vice versa for Erat, who was a RW in Nashville but played LW in Washington. Oates only lets players play their off side if they're 4th liners or if there's no other option, like Fehr stepping in when Erat went down.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Thallis
"more effort"

Quote:
You're either really overrating Perron's potential, or really underrating Tarasenko's.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Lord Helix
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
You're either really overrating Perron's potential, or really underrating Tarasenko's.
60-65 points for both. Perron was on pace for 30/30 last year on the best defensive team in a LONG time. He could put those numbers up with the right guys, as could Tarasenko...On the right team. IF he hits his potential.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

Quote:
So did Ovechkin before this year, but that didn't stop Oates from moving him to the right wing. And vice versa for Erat, who was a RW in Nashville but played LW in Washington. Oates only lets players play their off side if they're 4th liners or if there's no other option, like Fehr stepping in when Erat went down.
Ah my mistake, I misunderstood your previous post. Do you know whely he does that?