HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais Discussion Part II: The 'Stay on your Feet' Edition

Old
05-14-2013, 06:43 AM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avim86 View Post
I'm pretty sure Desharnais still has value if he needs to be traded (although he should be given another season to prove he can contribute). I'm also pretty sure you can use an amnesty buyout on a player signed to a contract after the lockout if over. Now that you know the terms of next years payroll , we knowingly offered DD an extension , amnesty doesn't apply.
... MB can buyout DD's CURRENT contract.

Now, if you think that move would be intelligent, there's nothing I can do for you...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:55 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Bergevin was clearly afraid of Desharnais having another big year by the end of the season which would've made his cap hit significantly higher, even if the term was lower. Hence, why he did what he did. I think he even said in hindsight, it might not look like a great decision now, but it is what it is.
Then his player evaluation was ****. I'd like to know if Dudley was consulted before DD was re-signed.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Bergevin was clearly afraid of Desharnais having another big year by the end of the season which would've made his cap hit significantly higher, even if the term was lower. Hence, why he did what he did. I think he even said in hindsight, it might not look like a great decision now, but it is what it is.
If he has a great "bounce back" year next year, it could easily pay off still. He could have very nice trade value after that.

Kind of a dangerous gamble considering how this team is built, but it's not like Desharnais was useless all season.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
In my honest opinion, DD doesn't really fit on this team. But then i can say the same thing going forward for bunch of other players. Plekanec at 5 million a year does not fit on this team. Markov is equally too expensive to stay, same with Gionta. Diaz has no place on the team in 1-2 years. Obviously Weber, Kaberle and Ryder are gone.

If Eller and Galchenyuk continue to be as good as they were last year (and as much as everyone just assumes they will, there's no guarantee), i would try Desharnais on the wing. He has great vision and a scoring touch that is underrated.

Desharnais should be looked at as more of an offensive utility player. At 3.5m a year, i think he offers decent value. Do l love his game? No. But i think with a little bit of tinkering he can become useful on this team next year. Like Plekanec, his fate will be decided on how quickly our young stud centers become consistent star players.
You're living in a dream world where you can just go to Wal Mart and buy big/young/cheap players and plug them in instead of smaller/older/higher cap hit guys.

Desharnais has a spot on this team because we don't have another better offensive center. Galchenyuk still has a lot to learn and improve on at LW before having the added defensive responsibility of playing center.

Plekanec at 5 mil is hardly a bad cap hit. Bergeron who is a smilar player, in a similar role with similar production has a smilar cap hit. Staal whom Plekanec outproduces has a 6 mil cap hit starting next year.

Gionta is a bit overpaid, but he was a UFA signing, which usually brings a 500-750k premium. Plus he brings a ton of leadership, experience and character.

Markov his cap hit is a bit high, a tough decision will need to be made in his case going forward. I expect him to have a lower cap hit going forward though. Still not far off.

Diaz definitely has a spot on the team if Markov walks at some point, he may becaome a nice trading chip(like a Goligoski) once Beaulieu is ready for top 6 duty.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:07 PM
goman

If Desharnais has a bounce back year and puts up 50-60pts this will again look like a great contract and either his place will be well set in the lineup or he'll have good value in a trade.

Obviously, if he is largely ineffective and has a PPG under .5 this may become a problem. I think he'll bounce back and even either become a 2/3 C here or elsewhere.

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
If Desharnais has a bounce back year and puts up 50-60pts this will again look like a great contract and either his place will be well set in the lineup or he'll have good value in a trade.

Obviously, if he is largely ineffective and has a PPG under .5 this may become a problem. I think he'll bounce back and even either become a 2/3 C here or elsewhere.
He was on pace for 48 this year so 50-60 is not a huge "bounce back".

I definitely think he is moveable and should bring back AT LEAST a top 3 pick or good young player.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

I definitely think he is moveable and should bring back AT LEAST a top 3 pick or good young player.
As in a 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounder?

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:

A TOP 3 PICK?

That is hilarious.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
A TOP 3 PICK?

That is hilarious.
Yeah cause trading a 60 point guy for a 2nd or 3rd rounder would be highway robbery?

Old
05-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Yeah cause trading a 60 point guy for a 2nd or 3rd rounder would be highway robbery?

So let me get this straight, you think DD could get us either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd overall pick in this draft?

Old
05-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
So let me get this straight, you think DD could get us either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd overall pick in this draft?
My post is so simple a grade 4 would get it.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Top 3 ROUNDS.
Ahh. You said top 3 pick originally. Yeah DD could fetch a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
My post is so simple a grade 4 would get it.
"I definitely think he is moveable and should bring back AT LEAST a top 3 pick or good young player.

Top 3 pick is a top 3 pick. No where in that sentence did you mention the word "round".. but I was 90% sure you weren't that crazy anyways.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:41 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:

a bag of doritos is all I want for him but a top three pick is a bonus

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:44 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
You're living in a dream world where you can just go to Wal Mart and buy big/young/cheap players and plug them in instead of smaller/older/higher cap hit guys.

Desharnais has a spot on this team because we don't have another better offensive center. Galchenyuk still has a lot to learn and improve on at LW before having the added defensive responsibility of playing center.

Plekanec at 5 mil is hardly a bad cap hit. Bergeron who is a smilar player, in a similar role with similar production has a smilar cap hit. Staal whom Plekanec outproduces has a 6 mil cap hit starting next year.

Gionta is a bit overpaid, but he was a UFA signing, which usually brings a 500-750k premium. Plus he brings a ton of leadership, experience and character.

Markov his cap hit is a bit high, a tough decision will need to be made in his case going forward. I expect him to have a lower cap hit going forward though. Still not far off.

Diaz definitely has a spot on the team if Markov walks at some point, he may becaome a nice trading chip(like a Goligoski) once Beaulieu is ready for top 6 duty.
DD is garbage and we have seen what he brings come playoffs ..NOTHING

he cant carry Galchenyuk`s jock strap right now

DIAS is too small , weak in his own end and must be replaced , Bieliueu will replace Markov

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:30 PM
WHATaboutLOVE

Realistically, who would take Desharnais @ 3,5 millions ?

At 850k, yeah sure, some big teams might not be affected by his size. But who would have the cap space and the physical size to take DD ?

I just don't see who would bite, the guy is useless.

WHATaboutLOVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
"I definitely think he is moveable and should bring back AT LEAST a top 3 pick or good young player.

Top 3 pick is a top 3 pick. No where in that sentence did you mention the word "round".. but I was 90% sure you weren't that crazy anyways.
The post you replied to after clearly said ROUND.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post

DIAS is too small , weak in his own end and must be replaced , Bieliueu will replace Markov
The only thing garbage in here is your posts. You bring nothing intelligent to the discussion.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Interlagos Blue
You Had ONE JOB

I'd give DD nest year to prove himself and if he can't then I would see if i could move him in the summer of 2014 or during the 2014-2015 season. Maybe this season will give him a wake up call.
Giving up on him this early would be wrong.

Interlagos Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATaboutLOVE View Post

At 850k, yeah sure, some big teams might not be affected by his size. But who would have the cap space and the physical size to take DD ?

Hmm

Just off the top of my head...Florida Anaheim(if Koivu retires) Calgary Dallas Minnesota(if Cullen walks) Washington(depends on Ribeiro) Columbus Phoenix could all have some level of interest depending on UFA situations.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Andros777

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post

Everyone had a bad playoff. Desharnais has shown he can handle the physicality in the past so there's no reason we shouldn't give him a second chance. And if Diaz needs to go because of weakness in the d zone I don't know what to say about replacing Markov with Beaulieu, but I do think the D needs to get more physical. I'd hate to see Emelin go the Moen route because he has to bring the physicality all himself every night.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post

That's just the thing.

Projections about DD's ability to reach 50-60 points, are based on last year's performance when he was being used as a first line centre, even if he isn't really one.

What happens if he is relegated to third line duties and plays with lesser wingers than he had last year, where will those points come from?

Bottom line, the guy is a dwarf who lucked out on a long-term deal he didn't fully earn. He's a one-dimensional player, mostly a perimeter guy who loses puck battles and with mediocre back-checking ability and skating. The type of guy who isn't enough of a playmaker to make a difference in the rugged environment of the playoffs.

There are 14 million reasons to live with him for now. Maybe moveable in a couple of years.

For now, his presence alone, limits the number of spots where a bigger, grittier forward could be added. Had they let him walk, they could have gone in a totally different direction. He's not that essential. Not a core player. But, when have the Habs said no to a midget before.

Last edited by Runner77: 05-14-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: typo
Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATaboutLOVE View Post

A team that needs offense could use him. Nashville, Minnesota, Phoenix... at that price he's actually pretty tradeable. He's not a bad player, he just isn't a great fit with our roster as we're already challenged in terms of size up front. I think he could help out a team with scoring just as Grabovski did with the Leafs.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:32 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post

For now, his presence alone, limits the number of spots where a bigger, grittier forward could be added.
... As do Gionta and Plekanec. Who actually both earn more money.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
... As do Gionta and Plekanec. Who actually both earn more money.
Gionta is off the books in a year's time. Much easier to dispose of. Plekanec is a much more complete player than DD, he deserves to be paid more. I don't see how it's relevant what DD makes relative to a better player like Pleks.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote