HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Roster Building Thread Pick a Peck of Preferred Players

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Why would the Caps trade Backstrom?
You know, because some other teams made the mistake of trading high end talent before they reached their prime... so someone else is bound to make the same mistake

You're right... teams don't trade 25 year old pt per game centers locked up for 7 years...

Old
05-14-2013, 01:22 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
You know, because some other teams made the mistake of trading high end talent before they reached their prime... so someone else is bound to make the same mistake

You're right... teams don't trade 25 year old pt per game centers locked up for 7 years...
Huh?

Old
05-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Huh?
the first part is sarcasm (like a reference to holmgren/philly)
the 2nd part is me agreeing with you

Old
05-14-2013, 01:25 PM
joshjull

Quote:
the first part is sarcasm
the 2nd part is me agreeing with you
alrighty then

Old
05-14-2013, 01:33 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
What are you attempting here? Are you going to provide the context of that comment? Dec 2010 by the way

The point of the 1st round picks offer was that Buffalo was going NO Where, until it solved the issue down the middle. At the time of the offer, the Sabres were on their way to another year of drafting in the mid-late 1st.

The offer was also prefaced with the idea that if the Sabres intended to continue trying to make the Rochester core work, they would NOT be bad enough to draft at the top of the 1st round (look at me Nostradamus).

I then also stated that the Sabres would be replenishing many of those picks when the sell off of the Rochester core began in 2013-2014. (****ing nostradamus again)

So yes, I was willing to part with multiple mid 1sts, to acquire a player I believed to have all the tools to be a very well rounded, complete game, top 6 center.... who was locked up for a lot of years, and was just scratching the surface (23-24 yrs old at the time).

Or are you here to tell me I was right, as Brassard has been playing excellent hockey since getting out of columbus, and has been the best skater on his team in the post season, and is advancing to the 2nd round.

Brassard is a pt per game player since joining the Rangers

A few years ago, I saw the writing on the wall with this team... and we are exactly where I said we'd be. You don't win **** without talent down the middle and on the blueline... Draftpicks are currency, and you should use them to fill needs.
Just saying, I generally agree with you on a lot of things...but you get these little fixations on guys either for (Oshie, Brassard, etc) or against (Ennis, Vanek, etc) ...and it's really hard to see past it when you're throwing ideas out there because you sometimes will get almost illogical about it - like 3 1st's for Brassard, which is/was an asinine price to pay for him.

I think we're all guilty of it, but you're a stronger voice than most so it sticks out to me more.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Just saying, I generally agree with you on a lot of things...but you get these little fixations on guys either for (Oshie, Brassard, etc) or against (Ennis, Vanek, etc) ...and it's really hard to see past it when you're throwing ideas out there because you sometimes will get almost illogical about it - like 3 1st's for Brassard, which is/was an asinine price to pay for him.

I think we're all guilty of it, but you're a stronger voice than most so it sticks out to me more.
My assessment of Vanek's trade value has nothing to do with being "against" him. It has everything to do with :
1. Understanding the market for trades, as informed by trades that actually happened
2. Understanding the commitment to a rebuild makes Vanek re-signing both unlikely and stupid

My assessment of Ennis long term position (not a top 6 center) value has nothing to do with being against him. It has everything to do with:
1. Recognizing the factors in his offensive explosion in at the end of 11-12 season (soft minutes, easy shifts, etc)
2. Recognizing the sell high factor in that explosion
3. Recognizing the type of players required to compete long term (in relation to the many offers I made trying to pawn Ennis off for a young shut down center)

You guys see all this stuff as Bias... in reality, i remove all "blue n gold" bias, and instead have a reality based, well informed, and strategically long term opinion.

Sorry, Im far past the "Myers is awesome, Vanek is awesome, Ennis is awesome, pommer is awesome, miller is awesome, everyone is awesome give us all your top prospects and 1st round picks for the guys who couldn't get us to the playoffs in a league where over 50% of teams make the playoffs."

Oshie was just an offer. I'm not a super fan... I think he's a good solid player... who has the right value (age/contract/position/style) to be a good return for moving Vanek (1 year).

I've always been a big Brassard fan... I've always felt it would take him time to develop, and he was rushed.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:19 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Would anyone be willing to trade like a third to get the Leafs, who already have two buyouts to burn on Komisarek and Liles, out of Grabovski's deal? He was ****ing putrid this season, but in a good year can give you 45 points and moderately tough minutes. He'd also be an actual NHL center, and we have one of those.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
Grabo for a 3rd would be great.

E: he's had several quality seasons, so he's no leino in that capacity. And even a young, learning team can use a veteran when they're ready to contend for a playoff spot.

Last edited by Connor McDavid: 05-14-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old
05-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Would anyone be willing to trade like a third to get the Leafs, who already have two buyouts to burn on Komisarek and Liles, out of Grabovski's deal? He was ****ing putrid this season, but in a good year can give you 45 points and moderately tough minutes. He'd also be an actual NHL center, and we have one of those.
4 years remaining @ 5.5?
He's going to turn 30 next year...

Feels like it will be a contract hinderance in 2-3 years when our roster is potentially developing and 2nd-3rd contracts come due for other players...

And it doesn't feel like a move that gets us anywhere... maybe just prevents us from drafting higher?

We've already got a Leino...

Old
05-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

IMO it's the sort of move that could conceivably complement a Vanek trade.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
IMO it's the sort of move that could conceivably complement a Vanek trade.
I don't follow?

We'd be bringing in a proven veteran center... to compliment trading Vanek?

Old
05-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Quote:
I don't follow?

We'd be bringing in a proven veteran center... to compliment trading Vanek?
Buying a veteran on the cheap with a decent risk/reward ratio in order to give the illusion of a quick retool. If it's a bust, so be it, a higher pick. If it's a steal, there's a key skill player on a young team learning to compete. If they trade TV in the aim o rebuild proper, I don't see a drawback to the trade.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:51 PM
mgeise

The Grabo contract is too long and too expensive for my tastes. I actually think he's pretty underrated, but $5.5 million tied up in Grabovski until 2017 isn't something I'd want to see.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Buying a veteran on the cheap with a decent risk/reward ratio in order to give the illusion of a quick retool. If it's a bust, so be it, a higher pick. If it's a steal, there's a key skill player on a young team learning to compete. If they trade TV in the aim o rebuild proper, I don't see a drawback to the trade.
so, it's a move to compliment re-signing vanek, not trading him?

Old
05-14-2013, 02:53 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeise View Post
The Grabo contract is too long and too expensive for my tastes. I actually think he's pretty underrated, but $5.5 million tied up in Grabovski until 2017 isn't something I'd want to see.
Thats how I see it as well.

If we are taking a flyer on a proven NHL center but don't want a big commitment see if Stastny is available. Only 1 year left on his deal and he will be 28 next season. Young enough that if he works out it would be worth it to extend him. If not cut him loose

Old
05-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Quote:
so, it's a move to compliment re-signing vanek, not trading him?
"Illusion." Keep the fans coming.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoworld
Bob Murray says the Anaheim Ducks will not have the same roster when training camp opens in September.

The Ducks have several important decisions to make, including on veterans Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne. Murray said he wants Koivu back and will talk to Selanne after a little bit of time passes. Neither veteran would commit to returning Tuesday with both saying they need time to decide. Murray will likely also need to make some financial moves to adjust to a salary cap that will shrink dramatically next season. After signing Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf to big-money, long-term deals during the season, players like goalie Jonas Hiller and winger Bobby Ryan could find themselves on the trade block before and during the draft. Whatever happens, it's clear Murray has a lot of work to do this summer.
Time to get back on the trade for Bobby Ryan bandwagon?

Old
05-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I don't think it would be worth trading for Ryan because he's made too many previous comments about liking the idea of playing in Philly. I wouldn't have much hope of keeping him beyond the two years left on his contract. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Buffalo has a great chance at signing Kane as a UFA in 2015. I think he's a friggin' punk, but I'll bet Regier will leave enough cap room for him.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:07 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I don't think it would be worth trading for Ryan because he's made too many previous comments about liking the idea of playing in Philly. I wouldn't have much hope of keeping him beyond the two years left on his contract. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Buffalo has a great chance at signing Kane as a UFA in 2015. I think he's a friggin' punk, but I'll bet Regier will leave enough cap room for him.
I made a bet with a Buffalo poster here, forget who it was but I said I would change my avatar to Justin Bieber for an entire season if Patrick Kane ever leaves Chicago.

I'm that confident he ain't leaving, nor is Toews.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:45 AM
wunderpanda
win for hanifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeise View Post
5.5 isn't that bad. When the cap & salaries increase the next couple seasons 5.5 could be the average or even a bargain for him. Wouldn't mind Grabo at all.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:15 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
5.5 isn't that bad. When the cap & salaries increase the next couple seasons 5.5 could be the average or even a bargain for him. Wouldn't mind Grabo at all.
The cap isn't increasing though...

Old
05-15-2013, 05:08 AM
tooncesmeow

<:3 Hi friends. Are you guys goign through a rebuild or a re-tool? Regardless, would Ehrhoff be available? Maybe like.. Kulemin + Gunnarsson for Ehrhoff? idk.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooncesmeow View Post
<:3 Hi friends. Are you guys goign through a rebuild or a re-tool? Regardless, would Ehrhoff be available? Maybe like.. Kulemin + Gunnarsson for Ehrhoff? idk.
Nope

Old
05-15-2013, 09:10 AM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooncesmeow View Post
Sorry but not even remotely close.

Gardiner + and go from there

Old
05-15-2013, 11:26 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
What kind of addition would Philly throw in for a Bryz/Miller swap? Laughton?

Closed Thread