HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The James Reimer conundrum

Old
05-14-2013, 05:29 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
I do think they should at least make sure they have more reliable backup potential going forward. Reimer is the guy, but he still needs to get some healthy seasons out. Can just call him someone with bad luck with injuries.

Otherwise if he's healthy you are good. He just needs to fix that rebound control. Looking at the team finding a new #1 goalie isn't even on the page of things we should be looking to do.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:31 PM
I Am The Stig
SPACESHIP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Leafs nation simply can't have nice things. This fanbase is frustrating as hell sometimes.

Most goalies don't actually make a major impact until their late 20s, Reimer broke into the league at age 22, and he just turned 25 only a couple of months ago. He's gone through a lot of development and went through a major coaching change over the past year as well, both head coach and goalie coach.

Why do people cap his potential?

A lot of goalies at Reimer's age barely played in the NHL or were JUST breaking in, Ryan Miller for example had his breakout season at age 25. Lundqvist entered the league at age 23, a year older than Reimer, Quick also became a starter at age 23, Pekka Rinne became a full-time goalie at age 27, Jimmy Howard had his rookie year at age 25, Corey Crawford age 26, Niemi age 26, and hell, even Cory Schneider, though he's been in the league a few seasons, only truly became a starting goalie this year, at the tender age of 27.

If all of these goalies entered the league at ages later than Reimer who was 22 when he did (some of them much later), why are we writing Reimer off right now? Why is it a given that he won't develop anymore?
Because people want that elite goalie in net as if that would solve the Leafs problems. It's simply the saying of putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

I Am The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:44 PM
The Big D

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Stig View Post
Were you the one that referenced ray lewis? Cause that dude cries all the time.
Yeah, when the dude wins (which he's done plenty of) nobody wants to see you cry when you lose- looks like such a pansy

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:51 PM
The Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
There isn't a goalie in the league that isn't susceptible to what happened to Reimer last night. I don't see a goalie on the market that is such an obvious upgrade that is work replacing him with.

I would upgrade the D in front of him to help Reimer become the goalie is capable of being.
You mean closing his glove hand on an unscreened wrist shot from the point? Ya no goalie in the NHL can be blamed for not making that tremendous save.....

Old
05-14-2013, 05:53 PM
mapes

Rebound control, plain and simple. Positionally he's great, mentally he's there. He just scrambles alot looking for the rebound because he can't cover it. It's on huge flaw in his game. If he fixes that, he'll be great

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Homebrew76

As a B's fan I loved the idea of Reimer leading the Leafs to another non-playoff season this year. However, his play has proven me wrong and Burke right for believing in him. Damn it hurts to type that.

Reimer is solid. Once he is able to control rebounds and hold on the pucks that bounce out of his glove, he'll have top 10 goalie potential in him.

The most impressed I was with him... outside of the smoking hot girlfriend, was his mental strength. Even getting knocked around with some cheapshots, he never lost focus or gave up on a play.

I'd take Reimer now over Carey Price or Fleury which I never thought I'd say before.

Homebrew76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:03 PM
spidergoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
I'm sure he can improve on his rebound control. Not sure if he'll be able to improve his glove hand though. I expect that will always hurt him.

Also I can't believe 1 day the board is discussing if Reimer can make Team Canada then the next day this
I've posted it before, but on another message board Steve McKichan (former Leafs goalie coach) worked with him when he was in Juniors, and says he had an excellent glove hand then.

As for the rest of it you are 100% right....I"m so close to just coming on this board because of the reactionary morons.

spidergoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Swervin81
Disgruntled Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
Any one remeber the 'Jo-sieve' front page on the Toronto Sun when the Leafs lost Game 1 of the second roung to Ottawa 5-0 after finishing a 7 game series?

3 of them looked stoppable.

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

this is a dumb question, but how do you work on rebound control? Do we want him to learn how to direct left/right, or just flat out stop it once the puck hits him?

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:12 PM
I Am The Stig
SPACESHIP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
this is a dumb question, but how do you work on rebound control? Do we want him to learn how to direct left/right, or just flat out stop it once the puck hits him?
Softer pads would help deaden the impact of the shot. And when there is a shot, ideally Reimer shouldn't put it out in front of him, rather deflect the shot into the corner(s).

So to answer your question: both

I Am The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Stig View Post
Softer pads would help deaden the impact of the shot. And when there is a shot, ideally Reimer shouldn't put it out in front of him, rather deflect the shot into the corner(s).

So to answer your question: both

thank you.

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Stephen

Both Patrick Roy and Patrick Lalime have lost game sevens in as spectacular or more spectacular fashion as James Reimer just did, and it will be up to him to build a body of work to figure out what side of the spectrum he's closer to.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:12 PM
bitterman bob

A few facts to consider:

1. Reimer faced 272 shots in 7 games. Rask faced 234. Holtby (Wash) faced 205. It's simple math: he faced 5-10 more shots per game than any other goalie in the playoffs. Even if you claim some of those result from rebounds, he is still #1 in shots faced.

2. Despite the number of shots, he had the same save percentage as Rask and was better than Hiller, Howard or Fleury.

3. He's 25, and this was his first playoff series.

Leafs would be nuts not to go with this kid next year. To show the poise he has in this market (which eats goalies alive) is remarkable.

bitterman bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:25 PM
The Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterman bob View Post
A few facts to consider:

1. Reimer faced 272 shots in 7 games. Rask faced 234. Holtby (Wash) faced 205. It's simple math: he faced 5-10 more shots per game than any other goalie in the playoffs. Even if you claim some of those result from rebounds, he is still #1 in shots faced.

2. Despite the number of shots, he had the same save percentage as Rask and was better than Hiller, Howard or Fleury.

3. He's 25, and this was his first playoff series.

Leafs would be nuts not to go with this kid next year. To show the poise he has in this market (which eats goalies alive) is remarkable.
Save % only matters if you don't watch the games, the majority of the shots he faced were point shots with visibility. Also, he has a propensity to allow SOFT goals and also not able to bail his boys out. It seemed like every time the skaters made a mistake it was in the back of the net, that's not a way you want your defenceman to feel out there. Oh and that poise that allowed him to let in 3 goals in the closing 10 minutes of a game 7? Then cry about it? Real composure there... Please...

Old
05-14-2013, 08:35 PM
napoleon in rags
Bernier the boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Rebound control, plain and simple. Positionally he's great, mentally he's there. He just scrambles alot looking for the rebound because he can't cover it. It's on huge flaw in his game. If he fixes that, he'll be great
I would also add he needs to learn to play the puck outside the crease, at which he's terrible.

napoleon in rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:46 PM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by napoleon in rags View Post
I would also add he needs to learn to play the puck outside the crease, at which he's terrible.
He has improved in that area

The Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Conundrum? Whaaaaaat?

Seriously? He was probably the Leafs best player in the series. He is young, cheap and pretty good. A better back-up than Scrivens would be nice though.

Leafs need to try fixing that terrible defense of theirs. Franson and Gardiner in the playoffs were a huge positive step but they need a guy that can either play with Dion and push Gunnar down with Gardiner or get a good defensive defensemen to play with Gardiner. Need to get better up the middle as well.

Goaltending is far from the problem now.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:06 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
If reimer had some defense that were actually capable defense men, we wouldn't be talking about this right now.

he is FAR from the problem.
It's mostly because of Carlyle's defensive system that more of those wild rebounds are not ending up in the back of the net. It has by far been the biggest improvement from last season.

The D has done a great job of limiting the second and third chances, and vastly cutting down on odd man rushes/breakaways.

Reimer has a lot of things to work on in the offseason. He needs to learn how to play the puck, at least to a peewee level. Freezing the puck every fn chance he got because he had no clue what to do with it was very detrimental. Especially when we were getting dominated on faceoffs.

And yeah, his rebound control has been nearly non-existant.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 04:27 PM
marquee

^ I agree wit that. The D did a great job in games 5-6 in limiting bruin second chances while Reimer was flipping like a fish. That rebound control and reactionary saves is a scary combo.

I think it's going to take this fanbase another playoff meltdown to think Reimer isn't a starter..right now the marketing team has done a great job for him. The sheep are it up since 2011.

Hopefully management makes a move this summer.

marquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Should get another chance to prove himself before we try to look somewhere else. If he doesn't improve on his rebounds and his ability to play the puck, we have to look else where.

Didact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 04:31 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
I just hope he fixes his glove hand. That's all I ask.

05-15-2013, 04:33 PM
marquee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Reimer is only 25 and, IMO, was excellent in the series against the Bruins the defense in front of him let him down, and it doesn't help that they were playing a big, net crashing team in Boston. Remember, this was Reimer's first playoff action patience, folks. What would have happened if Rangers' management freaked out about how Lundqvist played in the 2006 playoffs (where he was terrible and pulled)?

Goalies are an enigma, especially younger ones. Reimer has showed a LOT of potential to grow into a very, very good goalie. Get him a tougher/superior defense, and he'll continue to provide excellent goaltending.
Sigh still being compared to guys who have had elite seasons?

All those tenders had diff opportunities. Howard was arguably ready in 07 but the wings didnt rush him. Miller could have been brought up earlier or played during the lockout year. Anyways all those tenders were great from the jump and haven't made big jumps. What y'all expect from Reimer....

marquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:03 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce457 View Post
I have never understood this thinking at all.

so you are telling me if henrik lundqvist is on the leafs they dont make the playoffs? If the other option is Scrivens or Gustavsson, you are right, no playoffs in all likelyhood. but there is a number of goalies that would have lead this team to the playoffs.
Apparently not, but I'll play along

All World Goalie - Henrik Lundqvist
Age 30
Experience 511 Reg Season Games - 62 Playoff Games
2013 Win % - .558
2013 SV % - .926

Maple Leaf Goalie - James Reimer
Age 25
Experience 104 Reg Season Games - 7 Playoff Games
2013 Win % - .575
2013 SV % - .924

So I suppose if Henrik Lundqvist is on the Leafs, they do make the playoffs. Just in a lower seed.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:05 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Reimer is a good goalie who needs to work on a few things... these things are the same with most of the goalies in the league, let him develop this loss in OT will only fuel his fire to get better.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:22 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
Save % only matters if you don't watch the games, the majority of the shots he faced were point shots with visibility.
Which games were you watching exactly? 2013 Playoffs Toronto vs Boston?

Quote:
Also, he has a propensity to allow SOFT goals and also not able to bail his boys out. It seemed like every time the skaters made a mistake it was in the back of the net, that's not a way you want your defenceman to feel out there.
:.........Leafs have 113 giveaways in 7 games and "It seemed like every time the skaters made a mistake it was in the back of the net".

Anyway have a good summer, maybe watch some baseball, you may find it easier to follow.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote