HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All the Armstrong hate.

Old
09-28-2006, 12:30 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
He is a very good 4th line center and he is very valuable...as a 4th line center but he should not be playing on the PP. I think a lot of the hate comes from the way AM played him. AM would play him on the PP and when he didn't get the job done everyone would blame him when he shouldn't even have been on the PP in the first place.

Exactly. If he is on a line other than the 4th he is being misused. He has the hands and feet of a 4th liner especially in the new NHL where speed kills.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Matt13

I think the hate for players, coaches and management have been pretty well spread out.

Army is a product of Andy Murray, that is why the hate remains. His goals are junk goals (off a foot etc), he turns the puck over, is a bit on the soft side and his defense isnt nothing to right home about.

For some reason the same play runs over and over my head with Armstrong......He skates the puck up the boards, gets hit, loses puck.......for some reason to me, this is text book Army.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
i'm not understanding all the Armstrong hate around here and the other site.
Because it's easier for a great majority of armchair GMs to just make biased judgment calls with no facts. While some posters actually come up with logical reasons why Armstrong doesn't work for the team (age, foot speed, etc), you have many others who just love to froth at the mouth and spit out stupidity like a rabid dog waiting to be put down.

Personally though, I try to give him credit where and when it's due by recognizing that he does have some skill and that he does have some relative value. But I do acknowledge (after butting heads with Osprey many threads ago) that there are always going to be younger, faster, and more talented options out there. And if there is such an opportunity the team should go for it.

Saying that though, I can't agree with ripping into a guy's character by calling him a cancer or making comments about how he has no business being in the NHL. A cancer is some pretty serious accusation to level against a player, and I bet if you talked to anyone on the Kings they'd probably tell you it's a bunch of crock, in regards to Armstrong.

That's just my take.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:53 PM
FuTMaR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
by the way deviate, if you're referring to the Thornton pass which saw Scott blow an empty netter... that was Anze Kopitar who made the pass.
no it wasnt it was kopitar to armstrong to thornton

FuTMaR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Army is a 4th liner who is a very good fill in guy on higher lines. If he is actually used in this role he'll be fine

Old
09-28-2006, 04:11 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I hate Armstrong when he is on the PP is what I'm trying to say. When he is on the bench next to the backup goalie I love him.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn View Post
Army is a 4th liner who is a very good fill in guy on higher lines. If he is actually used in this role he'll be fine
I think I will agree with this. I do not mind seeing him on the top 2 lines or on the PP as long as its just occasionally.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 05:32 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
Yeah, Armstrong and Belanger are trying to tank the season and screw the rookies.

- Fin
Did i say they are trying to tank the season or are not passing the puck to the rookies intentionally to not let them shine? Your 55 years old you should learn how to read more carefully.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I hate Armstrong when he is on the PP is what I'm trying to say. When he is on the bench next to the backup goalie I love him.
I totally agree with this. He has no business on the PP and hopefully this left with AM

Old
09-28-2006, 05:35 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
I totally agree with this. He has no business on the PP and hopefully this left with AM
And I agree with you

Old
09-28-2006, 05:39 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:

the assist he had on the Cammelleri goal on Monday was on the power play...

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Osprey

Quote:
the assist he had on the Cammelleri goal on Monday was on the power play...
That doesn't mean that he belongs there. You could put Parros on the PP and he'd probably have as many PP assists (6) as Armstrong had last year.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 06:51 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
That doesn't mean that he belongs there. You could put Parros on the PP and he'd probably have as many PP assists (6) as Armstrong had last year.
it was more of an indicator that that crazy idea didn't quite leave with Andy Murray... that said, Norstrom has also seen some power play time this pre-season. let's just hope this has been Crow's way of doling out ample minutes to everyone during the firedrill.

for the record, i don't hate Armstrong... i just don't like him.

Old
09-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Guess who's one of TSN's 10 best buys for players with 5+ years of pro experience and making $900,000 or less.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=6729&hubname=nhl

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 10:06 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Guess who's one of TSN's 10 best buys for players with 5+ years of pro experience and making $900,000 or less.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=6729&hubname=nhl
Good trade bait in that case.!

Old
09-28-2006, 10:40 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
for the record, i don't hate Armstrong... i just don't like him.
For the record, Armstrong should just become an assistant coach in Manchester...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 10:43 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
For the record, Armstrong should just become an assistant coach in Manchester...
We're talkin off the record here...so cut the ********, PSP....

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 12:47 AM
Mateo

Mark my words, it'll be Armstrong who scores the clinching goal for the Kings to advance to the playoffs.

Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 12:50 AM
bland

It's pretty easy actually.

He has NHL calibre hockey sense and work ethic, but AHL calibre hands, skating and defensive aptitude (c'mon - what other Kings' center is so poor defensively that he would have to shift to the wing in the defensive zone and force the team to make Mike freakin' Cammalleri take his spot at the pivot. I'm not talkin' bout the draws either, this was a regularity on the fly).

This equals journeyman, and there is no way in hell that Dave Taylor should have given him a multi-year deal.

Tom Kostopolous makes more impact on a game than Armstrong, but it takes an educated eye to see it. The next time you're at Staples (TV doesn't really do it justice), watch how Kostopolous reads the plays on the defensive side of the puck. You'll see how he takes quick, decisive actions that disrupt breakouts and cause turnovers in the neutral zone. You'll see the angles he takes on the forecheck that support his teammates, unlike a headhunter like Dustin Brown. Watch the counter-pinches at the blueline and just often he pokes the puck out of the zone. No other King forward does this better. He's a consummate role player.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 12:51 AM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
Mark my words, it'll be Armstrong who scores the clinching goal for the Kings to advance to the playoffs.

the sun even shined on Gary Shuchuk's a** once!

Old
09-29-2006, 12:51 AM
nikolai19

My general dislike for Army will not so much depend on him directly as it will LA brass if they choose to keep him in LA and have either of the kids (AK and PO) down in Manchester. I'm a big proponent of letting the kids play though, so it all depends on your point of view.

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 12:55 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
It's pretty easy actually.

He has NHL calibre hockey sense and work ethic, but AHL calibre hands, skating and defensive aptitude (c'mon - what other Kings' center is so poor defensively that he would have to shift to the wing in the defensive zone and force the team to make Mike freakin' Cammalleri take his spot at the pivot. I'm not talkin' bout the draws either, this was a regularity on the fly).
I agree that his skating and defense don't cut it...but his offense is better than you give him credit for, IMO. That does tie in with the hockey sense you're talking about, however. That's what makes him an effective fill-in in the top-six but not an effective regular.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote