HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Forsberg Trade Revisted

Old
05-14-2013, 12:32 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Beyond that, do you guys really think that what this team needs is more skilled Swedish forwards? FFS, we have enough Swedes that are unwilling to shoot the fuggin puck.
It's a value issue. GMGM did not maximize the value of trading Forsberg at all. Trading him for Couturier would've been 10x better, and that's just one possibility off the top of my head.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:50 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
You may have noticed that we won both games in this series that Erat played in. We lost 4 of 5 he wasn't in. Was that the sole difference? Of course not.

But here's what Erat does that apparently nobody else in our top 6 does: he wins puck battles, he's strong on the boards, he's defensively responsible, he does not strand the D guys when they're trying to clear the puck, and he goes to the net.

The disgrace is not the trade. The disgrace is that we had to make the trade in order to have at least 1 guy in our top 6 who does those things.

A fine post. George would certainly thank you. Could he be our most rounded forward, one that does everything just a little better than Brooks?

Erat looked good, but was not a great fit for Ribs IMO. And of course, he didn't score. BRS pointed out all year that Ribs was not doing well at ES but you could see with Erat, they at least controlled play much more.

It was a mistake to not try him at least once this year on our top line. So now George goes into the offseason having no idea if he would be a good fit for Nick and Ovi.

One thing you forgot to mention about eRat that I saw in our small sample size, he finished his checks.

Oh and he would takes hits to make plays.

#BoydGordonGrade.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 12:58 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Let's wait for Forsberg to score an NHL goal before ******** our pants over this.
Exactly. **** Forsberg.

If anything...Im glad they traded away a soft player for another soft player...but at least got a hard nosed asset back in return.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:08 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
:
One thing you forgot to mention about eRat that I saw in our small sample size, he finished his checks.

Oh and he would takes hits to make plays.

#BoydGordonGrade.
Yep and yep.

Here's the thing: I actually believed that this group figured out in Game 4 of the 2008 series against Philly how to play in the playoffs: win puck battles, be strong on the boards, absorb punishment, dole it out when the refs aren't looking, establish traffic and net presence, stay patient and play responsibly, score dirty goals, blah blah.

And then after 2010 and 2011 disabused me of the notion that we had learned that lesson, I thought Dale finally instilled it in 'em last year. Turns out I was wrong. As tycoon I think noted, when we press (because we're under duress defensively or can't score or both), we revert to really terrible habits (stranding the D, overpassing, trying to be too fine with our shots, failing to go to the net). We stop doing all the things mentioned above that you have to do to win playoff games.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:18 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Where does Latta fit next year... Hershey?

While Beagle was only meh this year, I think Latta will be hard pressed to push him aside. Beagle and his faceoffs, I know.

I think it will take Wilson back to Plymouth, and one other move you were not expecting.

LW - MJ Erat Chimera Volpatti
C - Nick Laich MP Beagle
RW - OV€ Brouwer Ward Fehr

Old
05-14-2013, 01:18 PM
DanTHEMan71

I don't know what Erat you guys were watching but he flopped around in the offensive zone most of the time. Whenever he went into the boards, the sequence ended with Erat sitting on his ass. What boardplay? We cycled better with Fehr on the 2nd and even got more/better shots with Fehr on the 2nd.

Poile must have really sweet-talked McPhee into believing Erat was what we needed. We needed someone who had scored at least 30 goals. Not another soft playmaker.

DanTHEMan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Exactly. **** Forsberg.

If anything...Im glad they traded away a soft player for another soft player...but at least got a hard nosed asset back in return.
Forsberg is not a soft player.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:24 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Compared to Latta he is

At least Erat tries the entire time he is out there. I think he gives a high motor effort and thus runs out of gas a little sooner than you were expecting. He certainly fizzles at the end of shifts but there is no denying his effort before that.

Most others seem to save their energy for later. Players come in different flavors.

He was probably stunned seeing Ovi coming back to finish off his season. What you doing back here... got new controller battery? Wham. My arm hurt.

It wasn't a coincidence that it was Erat backchecking.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:36 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
Forsberg is not a soft player.
We'll see about that.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:41 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Exactly. **** Forsberg.

I'm not convinced Erat's soft. He got two really unfortunate but legit injuries. But he took hits and finished checks in his game. Biggest problem I saw with him was that he and Ribs weren't complementary - in fact were totally problematic together. 9's play in the series improved markedly after Erat got hurt. I like 'em both but they don't work together.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:51 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Hopefully for George, Nashville thinks its best for Forsberg to wow playing on the 4th line in preseason, before getting handed a scoring slot. Inevitably fail, and send him down the river to the AHL to battle vs a bunch of angry canadians that are pissed they don't have NHL jobs. Expect his line to dominate even though they are likely the least skilled linemates he has ever had.

And don't forget, no dricka under the age of 21 here in the free world. And no, they won't know what cider is in Milwaukee once he gets his Internets ID.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-14-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Oops Thanks Libsie
Old
05-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Hopefully for George, St Louis thinks its best for Forsberg to wow playing on the 4th line in preseason, before getting handed a scoring slot. Inevitably fail, and send him down the river to Peoria to battle vs a bunch of angry canadians that are pissed they don't have NHL jobs. Expect his line to dominate even though they are likely the least skilled linemates he has ever had.

And don't forget, no dricka under the age of 21 here in the free world. And no, they won't know what cider is in Peoria once he gets his Internets ID.
Forsberg was traded to Nashville.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:19 PM
hb11xchamps

1. All the Caps scouts said to trade Forsberg. Something weird has to happen for the 11th overall pick to be traded in less then a year. I trust the Caps scouting because they have done a fairly decent job the past few years.

2. Erat was decent for his short period of time. Give the guy a full year and the opinions could change here.

3. Latta is the key to this trade. He was Hershey's best player down the stretch and into the playoffs. McPhee got a playmaking winger who was also good on the PK and got a very good and physical bottom 6 prospect.

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:39 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
1. All the Caps scouts said to trade Forsberg. Something weird has to happen for the 11th overall pick to be traded in less then a year. I trust the Caps scouting because they have done a fairly decent job the past few years.

2. Erat was decent for his short period of time. Give the guy a full year and the opinions could change here.

3. Latta is the key to this trade. He was Hershey's best player down the stretch and into the playoffs. McPhee got a playmaking winger who was also good on the PK and got a very good and physical bottom 6 prospect.
1. CYA

2. Erat performed at the following pace over a full season: 56 games, 4 goals, 8 assists. Which amazingly is worse than his awful performance with the Preds this year. This is the threshold for decent?

3. Latta projects as a smaller, less offensively gifted Matt Bradley. Hooray.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:34 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
1. CYA

2. Erat performed at the following pace over a full season: 56 games, 4 goals, 8 assists. Which amazingly is worse than his awful performance with the Preds this year. This is the threshold for decent?

3. Latta projects as a smaller, less offensively gifted Matt Bradley. Hooray.
Erat had a small amount of time to adjust to the system. You saw how long it took the Caps to adjust at the beginning of the year don't give me that crap. He is 31 years old and has had decent numbers on a defensive minded Preds team. Projecting a full season alone is worthless. Look at Ovechkin. At the beginning of the year every said trade Ovie, he is declining, and what does the guy do? He scored 32 goals. Project his season from the first few weeks of the Oates tenure and it was probably just as bad. Erat will learn the system and come back and be a decent player.

As for Latta I have seen him in person many more times then you have. He is going to be better then Matt Bradley that is a terrible comparison. They guy can hit, chirp, and does have a pretty good set of offensive skills. He is small but he isn't afraid to beat the sh** out of someone. Latta will surprise a lot of people and will be a great future addition to the Washington Capitals. Throwing a comparison to Matt Bradley is a disgrace to his game.

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:33 PM
DanTHEMan71

Erat being a decent player doesn't take the load of of OV. And you can forget about any gain from Erat when he settles into the system because that gain would be negated if we lost Ribs.

I think the money on Erat + extra could've been spent on a player that is considered to be more of a "gamechanger". Erat has never been that.

DanTHEMan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:47 PM
BTCG

If we make the finals (at minimum) and Erat is a significant contributor, then it's a good trade.

We didn't... and he didn't. So Nashville made out, and yes, it was a bad move.

Reading between the lines (which is what I think you really want): McPhee should have known the team wasn't in a position to go deep in the playoffs, and thus, should NOT have made the trade. In retrospect, it would seem that the move was a transparent attempt to save his job, with the thinking being "if we can go 2 rounds, the pressure will be off of me."

Didn't work George.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:52 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
Erat had a small amount of time to adjust to the system. You saw how long it took the Caps to adjust at the beginning of the year don't give me that crap. He is 31 years old and has had decent numbers on a defensive minded Preds team. Projecting a full season alone is worthless. Look at Ovechkin. At the beginning of the year every said trade Ovie, he is declining, and what does the guy do? He scored 32 goals. Project his season from the first few weeks of the Oates tenure and it was probably just as bad. Erat will learn the system and come back and be a decent player.

As for Latta I have seen him in person many more times then you have. He is going to be better then Matt Bradley that is a terrible comparison. They guy can hit, chirp, and does have a pretty good set of offensive skills. He is small but he isn't afraid to beat the sh** out of someone. Latta will surprise a lot of people and will be a great future addition to the Washington Capitals. Throwing a comparison to Matt Bradley is a disgrace to his game.
Adjust to what system?

The 'system' was to pinch up, and attempt to be the first on the scoreboard, and it really only worked on sandbagging teams we'd play.

Adjusting to that ought to have been easy.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:04 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Adjust to what system?

The 'system' was to pinch up, and attempt to be the first on the scoreboard, and it really only worked on sandbagging teams we'd play.

Adjusting to that ought to have been easy.
That's just completely false. Are you ****ing kidding me?

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:09 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
That's just completely false. Are you ****ing kidding me?
I hope you're being sarcastic.

Someone on here noted a while back that Adam's system looked a lot like BB's. I had to chuckle at how on point that comment was.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Exactly. **** Forsberg.

Fair enough, but it's still a ****** return for a good asset.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:19 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTHEMan71 View Post
Erat being a decent player doesn't take the load of of OV. And you can forget about any gain from Erat when he settles into the system because that gain would be negated if we lost Ribs.

I think the money on Erat + extra could've been spent on a player that is considered to be more of a "gamechanger". Erat has never been that.
I hate the Forsberg trade because he should have returned much more, but I'm not sure this is true. Ribs and Erat had zero chemistry so Marty may be the only guy who's better off if Ribs leaves (not saying I want that to happen, just an observation.)

As to the rest of your post, yeah.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Halpysback

Since they decided to buy, the money/assets spent on Erat should have been spent making sure one of John Erskine or Jack Hillen was not a top 4 fixture. I think literally everyone with a brain realized that.

There was absolutely nothing out there to indicate that Erat could bring more to the top 6 this season than, say a waiver claim of Jussi Jokinen, but that didn't stop McPhee from going full retard.

JFS, TFS, JFE, JFH. It's like he enjoys having gaping holes in his lineup for no reason at all.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:

Someone on here noted a while back that Adam's system looked a lot like BB's. I had to chuckle at how on point that comment was.
Any system will that's predicated on winning races rather than battles. It's been their apparent mindset for years in the offensive zone and it's terrible.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:

It was alarming how the players reverted to the bad habits of the Boudreau-era once they were trailing. Another legacy of that personality cult.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote