HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cloutier Signs 2 Year Extension

Old
09-27-2006, 11:00 PM
zeppelin97

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

It must be hard and bitter to hate a guy who was the first to post 3 straight 30 win seasons and was probably the 2nd best goalie in your teams' history.
Lalime. he posted 3-30 win seasons. He fell out of favor though, much like Cloutier was. Only difference is one got a fat contract, and the other is banished to play in front of crappy teams.

I guess it helps to have 'fire' in your personality, and to have a man crush on your coach.

I think Lalime lost a lot of confidence, so he has been downgraded considerably. Cloutier has been much more forturnate.

Lets not try to over rationalize this signing though, it SUCKS!!!

zeppelin97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:29 AM
Riposte!

Goalie gon' get traded

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Riofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznat View Post
I really like Garon but one thing that bothered me about him last year is that he let other teams walk all over him, something Cloutier will never let happen. When an opposing player would ram into Garon last year he would just take it, he would just get up and would never, or very rarely show any kind of anger or spark or anything to show the other teams THATS NOT OK. This is one area were Cloutier will be a polar opposite to Garon, when someone hits Cloutier you can bet he will hit back, the proof is in the numerous YouTube videos out there featuring Cloutiers fighting .

I actually find the ability of a goaltender to skate off to a corner and not get raddled or involved in physical play a major plus. If teams need their goalies to get in scrums after the play, they really need to re-evaluate the personnel on the ice.

AM preached the turn the other cheek philosophy and most NHL teams don't want their top 6 defensive pairing sitting in the box for 5+ minutes. I want a goalie that will stop the puck and control the rebounds, keep his cool under pressure, and perform in the playoffs.

What has Cloutier done in the league to deserve this golden parachute of a deal?

I don't remember a trade or player contract opposed to by the majority of fans where the ownership and front office was proven correct. Could this be the one? I'll believe it when I see it but in my opinion this contract extension is at a minimum 3-4 months premature. Best luck in LA Cloutier... I'm left no choice.

Riofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:46 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riposte! View Post
Goalie gon' get traded
I don't think I'm alone in thinking that this is the post of the thread.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 01:53 AM
Eighty-sixed

I swear, Kings fans are the only fans in the NHL that would gripe about having two 30 game winners on their roster. Cloutier has flashes of brilliance, but goes into slumps. Garon can be solid when Cloutier isn't. What's the problem?

Besides, does it really surprise you that Deano is making netminding a priority?

Eighty-sixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:27 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznat View Post
I really like Garon but one thing that bothered me about him last year is that he let other teams walk all over him, something Cloutier will never let happen. When an opposing player would ram into Garon last year he would just take it, he would just get up and would never, or very rarely show any kind of anger or spark or anything to show the other teams THATS NOT OK. This is one area were Cloutier will be a polar opposite to Garon, when someone hits Cloutier you can bet he will hit back, the proof is in the numerous YouTube videos out there featuring Cloutiers fighting .
The flip side of this is that losing your cool means that you've been rattled, and that's often not a good characteristic, especially in goaltenders. Often, you want the goalie to absorb it and not let it affect him, leaving the retribution to the skaters. Goaltender is the most important position and it's dangerous to have a loose cannon in it. I'm not saying that Cloutier has bad traits, since I don't know enough about him to determine that yet; I'm just speaking theoretically.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 03:29 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
I don't think I'm alone in thinking that this is the post of the thread.

Yup that it is.

Sigh... Cloutier.... I just can't get over we have Cloutier....

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 05:58 AM
Osprey

On a lighter note, I'll be more of a fan of this deal if one of the stipulations is that Cloutier's old cage mask gets sent to the trash compactor

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:36 AM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
You guys are almost as bad as Flyers fans. Let's find reasons to hate on goalies. I know that Lidstrom shot...it sucked...I was pretty pissed too, but it was 4 years ago...and in 2004, yeah that sucked too, hard fought series, great to watch, intensity if only Cloutier...wait he was the Canucks' best player in the first 3 games.

It must be hard and bitter to hate a guy who was the first to post 3 straight 30 win seasons and was probably the 2nd best goalie in your teams' history. I don't care what kind of goalie you are, you don't do that if you're not good and at least consistent sometimes.

I don't get it you guys hate Cloutier and are kneeling at the altar of Roberto Luongo who has done less than Cloutier in his carreer. Actually, nothing! Luongo has never even sniffed the playoffs and the only big game he ever played he was giving it up in the World Cup of Hockey. To come here and rip Dan Cloutier is the pot calling the kettle black.

And on the other side, the big deal about Dave Taylor is that he never "went for it," never truly made a move that set a goal for the team to acheive. Lombardi finally does it and he's getting ripped for it. Do you want to win or not? After the recent success of the Ducks, Lombardi was brought in here to have a plan that obligates himself to try and compete with them. Once upon a time the battle cry was that "if we want to be the best team in the league we have to be the best team in Southern California first," and the Ducks blew right past the Kings and we know what happened next. Contrary to Dave Taylor's regime, Dean Lombardi isn't someone who is going to wallow around and wait for things to happen and have his decisions made for him. His work with the Sharks turned the whole franchise around, I'll hedge my bets on someone who has proven that his plan works.
Thanks for being a voice of reason.

Kings fans are so embarrassing sometimes, that it has me considering just backing my Eastern Confernce team full time and giving up. I feel guilty by association with some of these people.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:37 AM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty-sixed View Post
I swear, Kings fans are the only fans in the NHL that would gripe about having two 30 game winners on their roster. Cloutier has flashes of brilliance, but goes into slumps. Garon can be solid when Cloutier isn't. What's the problem?

Besides, does it really surprise you that Deano is making netminding a priority?

STOP MAKING SENSE!!!! 90% OF KINGS FANS CANT HANDLE IT!!!!

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post
Thanks for being a voice of reason.

Kings fans are so embarrassing sometimes, that it has me considering just backing my Eastern Confernce team full time and giving up. I feel guilty by association with some of these people.

I'll miss you.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Matt13

Quote:
You guys are almost as bad as Flyers fans. Let's find reasons to hate on goalies. I know that Lidstrom shot...it sucked...I was pretty pissed too, but it was 4 years ago...and in 2004, yeah that sucked too, hard fought series, great to watch, intensity if only Cloutier...wait he was the Canucks' best player in the first 3 games.

It must be hard and bitter to hate a guy who was the first to post 3 straight 30 win seasons and was probably the 2nd best goalie in your teams' history. I don't care what kind of goalie you are, you don't do that if you're not good and at least consistent sometimes.

I don't get it you guys hate Cloutier and are kneeling at the altar of Roberto Luongo who has done less than Cloutier in his carreer. Actually, nothing! Luongo has never even sniffed the playoffs and the only big game he ever played he was giving it up in the World Cup of Hockey. To come here and rip Dan Cloutier is the pot calling the kettle black.

And on the other side, the big deal about Dave Taylor is that he never "went for it," never truly made a move that set a goal for the team to acheive. Lombardi finally does it and he's getting ripped for it. Do you want to win or not? After the recent success of the Ducks, Lombardi was brought in here to have a plan that obligates himself to try and compete with them. Once upon a time the battle cry was that "if we want to be the best team in the league we have to be the best team in Southern California first," and the Ducks blew right past the Kings and we know what happened next. Contrary to Dave Taylor's regime, Dean Lombardi isn't someone who is going to wallow around and wait for things to happen and have his decisions made for him. His work with the Sharks turned the whole franchise around, I'll hedge my bets on someone who has proven that his plan works.

I myself am pissed because the guy hasnt even played a game this year.

You can't compare Luongo and Cloutier. Luongo has never once had a decent team in front of him. Cloutier has seen, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Jovo etc etc, who has Luongo had? Jokinen and ?

When you dont have a team that looks like it is going to score many goals (the Kings) and you are looking for a goalie who will help win the games, many don't dont look to a guy who over his 3 seasons with 30 wins was still just a .541 win percentage goalie with an awesome team in front of him.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:28 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Lombardi just wanted to make sure Kings fans get another 3 years of average goaltending. I really don't understand what Lombardi is doing as far as the direction of this team.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:57 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
I myself am pissed because the guy hasnt even played a game this year.
That's more along the lines of where I stand.

If you look at my posts for the past month, I'm really not as critical of Cloutier himself as many. What bothers me about this signing in particular is that it seems to be a vote of confidence to a player who hasn't shown anything with this team yet. Moreover, it seems to be an example of Crawford's favouritism towards Cloutier shining through again.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 02:29 PM
not tellin*

Lighten up

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 04:11 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfur View Post
Lighten up
I smell a LGduck.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 12:31 AM
ExplosionsintheGine

Quote:

lol I dont get it either man...^your an idiot with that picture, its sorta funny though but dumb

ExplosionsintheGine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 12:55 AM
nikolai19

LaBarbera has to be packing his bags at this point. Likely candidates would be Vancouver, the Island, and quite possibly New Jersey. I would guess they would get a mid round pick for him, but that would be decent considering the situation that has been created by the brass.

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 01:21 AM
Johnny Utah

Quote:

The problem is buddy is Cloutier is coming off an injury riddled season, has played one game as a King and in the final year of a contract. It is up to him the player to prove he is worth 3 million.

Like 20 NHL teams are really going to be waiting around to make a better offer to Dan Cloutier come the summer of 2007...Come on.

DL could've waited and seen how Garon, Labby, or Cloutier ended up playing this year and made a decision based on results, instead of locking up 6 million in a injury prone, inconsistent 30 year old goalie.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 03:43 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

I think everyone is over reacting.

Lalime had an amazing team infront of him. Not just a good team like Cloutier had in Vancouver. Lalime was a goalie that was always up and down never really solid. Just look at his carrer records. The guy had a hell of an NHL Start with Pittsburgh unbeaten in 14 games I believe. Then he had quick stints there and then Anahiem and he really moved around before being a solid goalie on an amazing team.

The Cloutier signing brings this team goaltender stability. Could we have had the same Goaltending stability if we signed Garon for another 2 years and that answer would be a resounding yes. Again we have to look at the fact that no one believed we would be a contender this year and really no one believes we will be next year. Deano is working towards a plan when you think about it his goal is to have his most cap room in 2 years when the UFA drops even more then it already is. Looking at most of our players their contracts expire at the end of next season. Lombardi is looking now for the players that he will extend past that date(Hence why he apparently wanted to give Gleason and Brown longer contracts because of their age). There are going to be names out there in the next two years and the 3.1 that is given to Dan Cloutier is not the biggest of our worries. Lombardi will build this team correctly and I believe that a lot of you are over reacting here.

I'm starting to hate this board. Some of the people are degrading downright into LGK stupidity.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 06:15 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

correct me if i'm wrong, but didnt Legace get 1 yr/3mil? IF that was the price for an aging, unwanted goalie, then Cloutier's contract seems pretty legitimate, even with the raise...

seems like Cloutier fits right into the category of being a solid goaltender..."solid" meaning he's usually good and only occasionally great...but apparently he has great potential in the eyes of Crawford and many other hockey ppl in years past....also seems like management only wanted to see Cloutier show that he could perform up to expectations in the preseason, and having been pleased with what they saw, they offered the extension and avoided free agency...

i suspect that one of the reasons why people are so sour over this signing is due to its awkward timing...when i first saw the news on ESPN, i was completely caught off-gaurd beucase i was totally not expecting this signing at the time...so naturally, i figured (hoped) that since the signing was sort of unexpected, it would have been a cheaper deal (since Cloutier hasnt had a full season in LA yet)....something like 1.5 mil over 2 years....but then discovering the contract actaully paid him 3 mil per, i automatically wondered why the signing, and why now? but given time to digest the deal, i've accepted it as a fair one...since goaltending is the single position where you must be willing to make moves in order to solidify

Last edited by I Am Ziggy Palffy: 09-29-2006 at 06:23 AM.
I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2006, 08:32 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
correct me if i'm wrong, but didnt Legace get 1 yr/3mil? IF that was the price for an aging, unwanted goalie, then Cloutier's contract seems pretty legitimate, even with the raise...
Legace got 1 year $1.4M.

Considering both Legace and Cloutier are held in similar reguards (good regular season goalies who choke in the playoffs), I think it was pretty irresponsible for managment to give Cloutier $3.1M when he would have gotten about half that on the open market.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote