HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 02:56 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
richards is horrendous. he will definitely be here next year but if he doesn't bounce back next year then hes a goner for sure. and we better not even go near heatley.
Why is that a definite? I think that's legitimately up in the air.

It's just pain.
Old
05-14-2013, 03:07 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

vCash: 500
I don't think it's definite but I would bet on him being with the Rangers this fall.

He's been (by all accounts) a key leader, there is too much $ invested, and still a chance that with a full summer of conditioning he comes in a bit rejuvenated.

If there were something else (Getzlaf/Perry) enticing on the market I have no doubt the Rangers would consider it (not saying they SHOULD). For all his struggles his still produced at a 60 pt clip, gotta figure it would not be THAT easy to find another C in the market to replace that.

05-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I thought he'd definitely be here next season, but honestly, what would the point be?

Old
05-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

One thing is for certain, and that is he needs a reduced role next fall if he is still around. Cut his PP time and keep him on the 3rd line. No more of this "we need to get Richards going" stuff. Stepan and Brassard in the top-six, and Richards nowhere near the first PP unit.

I don't buy into the "there's nowhere else to spend the money" notion. Why do we have to spend it? Why can't we just have some cap space for a change?

Old
05-14-2013, 04:00 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
One thing is for certain, and that is he needs a reduced role next fall if he is still around. Cut his PP time and keep him on the 3rd line. No more of this "we need to get Richards going" stuff. Stepan and Brassard in the top-six, and Richards nowhere near the first PP unit.

I don't buy into the "there's nowhere else to spend the money" notion. Why do we have to spend it? Why can't we just have some cap space for a change?
With how willing this fan base is to jettison some guys, I can't for the life of me figure out why Richards is still given even half a pass. It makes me question what Ranger fans are watching during a game. He's beyond horrendous. He's our Jason Bay.

He's a good guy? He says good things in the locker room? Fine, but I even question his leadership at this point, because his poor play goes beyond his physical shortcomings. He makes terrible decisions, which makes him a bad example to the young guys on how to play within yourself. If he recognized what was happening to him (Torts included), he might actually be useful. Overpaid, but not a negative. Del Zotto said Richards took him under his wing last year and continues to mentor him. It shows. My guess: they'll both be gone come September.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:29 PM
tjs252

Quote:
In order to get to that $27 million buyout number, we'd have to pay him $9M next season. You're paying him $36M in one way or another, are you not?
I think the rule is that you owe the balance of the remaining money. He's owed $36 million on the remaining balance. Next year's salary is $9 million. Therefore, if he plays here next year, it's a $27 million buyout in the summer of 2014. If he is bought out in the summer of 2013 it's a $36 million buyout.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
I think the rule is that you owe the balance of the remaining money. He's owed $36 million on the remaining balance. Next year's salary is $9 million. Therefore, if he plays here next year, it's a $27 million buyout in the summer of 2014. If he is bought out in the summer of 2013 it's a $36 million buyout.
You pay him 36 million no matter what.

He provides nothing. At this point, players like Pyatt and Asham are outplaying him.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:36 PM
mike14

Quote:

For me it's not a money thing, the real question is whether both Stepan and Brassard can be your top 2 centers for a whole season. Stepan, I yes, probably a #1, almost def a #2, but Brassard has never hit 50pts before. Has he actually turned a corner or is the shortened season and his excellent play the anomaly?

Richards hasn't shown he can be a top 6 center this season, but at this point I'd say opposition D are still very aware of him, and he provides a lot of experience to what would otherwise be a very inexperienced center group.

Personal feeling is that Richards will be here for next season, giving guys like Brassard, Miller and Lingberg time to grow and then bought out.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:45 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
For me it's not a money thing, the real question is whether both Stepan and Brassard can be your top 2 centers for a whole season. Stepan, I yes, probably a #1, almost def a #2, but Brassard has never hit 50pts before. Has he actually turned a corner or is the shortened season and his excellent play the anomaly?

Richards hasn't shown he can be a top 6 center this season, but at this point I'd say opposition D are still very aware of him, and he provides a lot of experience to what would otherwise be a very inexperienced center group.

Personal feeling is that Richards will be here for next season, giving guys like Brassard, Miller and Lingberg time to grow and then bought out.
How does his experience translate into something positive?

Old
05-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post

All legitimate questions. A lot of fans have been sold on Brassard thanks to a solid 10 games and playoff series. Not me.

I think theres no doubt that even this disaster version of Richards make the team deeper at center next year. But I keep circling around to whats the point of hanging onto him if hes going to be in a reduced role? Its just a stay of execution.

And this is coming from a guy that likes Richards a lot. His game has just fallen off a cliff. Business is business.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:29 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
How does his experience translate into something positive?
Being able to pass on that experience to young players is a positive, being able to give those players some sheltered minutes as they develop their game would be a positive.

Richards becomes the proper definition of 'placeholder'. As pointed out, we are paying him anyway, so unless there is a clear upgrade available that needs his cap space, keep him for the season which gives you more time evaluate what you have

Old
05-14-2013, 05:35 PM
tjs252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
You pay him 36 million no matter what.

He provides nothing. At this point, players like Pyatt and Asham are outplaying him.
This is incorrect. It's the remaining value on the contract at the time of the buyout. Therefore, it's $36 million this summer, $27 million next summer.

http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/

Old
05-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
This is incorrect. It's the remaining value on the contract at the time of the buyout. Therefore, it's $36 million this summer, $27 million next summer.

http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/
He's still owed 36 million.

So no matter when we buy him out, Dolan will have to sign a really fat check. That's what I'm saying.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Kershaw

richards makes me miss gomez.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

It's not completely out of the question that they get a team to trade for him, but it seems unlikely considering cap repercussions from retirement, age as well as past history.

Cap is dropping, Gomez was, I believe 29 or 30 when we dealt him.

I have no idea why almost every pivot goes into such a steep decline upon signing with our team.

Rucchin, Cullen, Drury, Gomez, Richards... Makes you wonder.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:23 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
It's not completely out of the question that they get a team to trade for him, but it seems unlikely considering cap repercussions from retirement, age as well as past history.

I have no idea why almost every pivot goes into such a steep decline upon signing with our team.

for one, none of them are elite superstar players, even mr conn smythe. richards in his prime was definitely on the lip of the elite tier, but playing with some nice talent pushed him in that company. he never was a do it by himself game breaker. drury and gomez were always 2b centers who were shoe horned into the role of top Cs for us expecting to be more than they are/were. cullen was a comfort thing with him here, because he played well again once he was dealt, and actually continues to be a pretty good player in his role in minnesota. rucchin, I dunno what people were expecting when he signed here, clearly his best days were centering kariya selanne, and he was great at it. but he was never an all-star caliber guy, and to be honest I thought he wasn't terrible at all here for what he was. same with cullen, not terrible, but people probably had bigger expectations than what he really was.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:06 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
The risk of him being injured next off season is too great not to buy him out this summer based on his recent play.

Bite the bullet and avoid any risk of the potential catastrophe of him being injured next summer and stuck on our cap for the six additional years.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

Trading him would be a risk. We already had Drury on the books for dead cap space: we can't/shouldn't make the same mistake with Richards.

05-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Pizza

I've read that if the Rangers don't like what they see next fall they can buy him out then.

He's not been very noticeable in the playoffs thus far.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:24 PM
nyrtrublue

has be played left wing before? i feel like he could be worth a shot there although im not really sure who you would play him over, especially when clowe comes back. idk if it is even worth a shot. but they do owe him alot of money and he does provide veteran leadership. playing him with stepan/brassard at center and nash/cally on wing could help create the space he needs to make plays since he can no longer make them with the space he makes for himself.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:10 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think this is a type of series where Richards could get 'lost' in the games, in a good way. He's very adept at reading the ice, even through the rough time he's having right now. I'll keep making excuses for him because he's a heady player with a playoff history.

This isn't going to be an ultra fast pace he's got to negotiate and I think he'll be able to find some holes and open areas of the ice in what will be a very deliberate style of game against Boston. I wouldn't be surprised if he finds his way back onto a line with Nash before this series is over.

Yeah, I know I sound nuts here, but I think the best thing the Rangers can do is to just be the Rangers the Bruins expect and it should "lull them to sleep" in a sense and change the complexion of what the Bruins could be, and that's a more dynamic team offensively. Make them focus on defense and negotiating Lundqvist and we might surprise them with a little more skill and saavy now that Brassard and Zucc have upped their level of play.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Ryan McDonut
Re-sign Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Why is that a definite? I think that's legitimately up in the air.
because he can have a chance to redeem himself next season and if not, we still have the buyout in our pocket after next season. while he has been horrendous, he was still on a 60 point pace this year. i just don't see where we're going to find a 60 point center to be his replacement.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
because he can have a chance to redeem himself next season and if not, we still have the buyout in our pocket after next season. while he has been horrendous, he was still on a 60 point pace this year. i just don't see where we're going to find a 60 point center to be his replacement.
Problem is, if he gets injured, we can't buy him out. He instantly becomes a 6 year anchor.

"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail

"You set on me but you are not the sun"
Old
05-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Problem is, if he gets injured, we can't buy him out. He instantly becomes a 6 year anchor.
Ooooh. I hadn't thought of that. That really tilts the scales.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:17 PM
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User

I think Richards will be with the Rangers next season, solely as a stop gap for Lindberg. Rangers will want to ease Lindberg into the lineup. Rangers have 3 good centers right now and if Lindberg comes in and produces Rangers have 4 and Richards will not only become expendable, but bringing his contract off the books is huge.

Closed Thread