HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Geekness is complete!!! :D

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-28-2003, 08:15 PM
  #1
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
My Geekness is complete!!! :D

My wife bought me a new wedding ring for Christmas. The ring is an exact replica of The One ring of Power from 'Lord of the Rings".

Engraved on the outside in Elvish Writing it says: "One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them'. Engraved on the inside: "One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them".

To quote Gilbert Lowe (Anthony Edwards' character in Revenge of the Nerds): "I'm a nerd, and pretty proud of it."

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 02:40 AM
  #2
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
{best comic book guy voice}

Worst post ever!

Edge is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 03:53 AM
  #3
JCProdigy
Registered User
 
JCProdigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: I want what I want
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
Brutal man! although I can't say that you're alone as one of my former co-workers had her and her husbands wedding rings enscribed in elvish writing..

...So you were the one I saw in the Gandolf outfit outside of the theatre the other day...

JCProdigy is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 05:51 AM
  #4
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
...So you were the one I saw in the Gandolf outfit outside of the theatre the other day...
No. I hate bringing attention to myself, so I couldn't possibly dress up. It's the little things that make me giddy

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 05:53 AM
  #5
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
{best comic book guy voice}

Worst post ever!


You're just jealous because you don't own The One Ring of Power!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 05:57 AM
  #6
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
You're just jealous because you don't own The One Ring of Power!!!!!!!!!!!!
Being Melkor, I myself don't need one.

dedalus is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 06:19 AM
  #7
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Being Melkor, I myself don't need one.

The first age is long past, my evil friend.



Shadowtron is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 09:51 AM
  #8
sickboy35
Registered User
 
sickboy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: trenton
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
{best comic book guy voice}

Worst post ever!




sickboy35 is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 06:27 PM
  #9
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
The first age is long past, my evil friend.
What are you, Manwe or something? :mad:

Do-gooder Vala!

dedalus is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 07:36 PM
  #10
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
What are you, Manwe or something? :mad:

Do-gooder Vala!

I see someone's been dipping into their copy of "The Silmarillion"!! You scoundrel!!

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 07:43 PM
  #11
NJDevs430
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,901
vCash: 500
It would be the "...and in the darkness bind them." part that would disturb me...I mean unless you're into that sort of stuff.

Anyway...I think that's pretty cool.
I only recently got into LOTR. Have yet to see Return of the King, though.

NJDevs430 is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 08:10 PM
  #12
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs430
I only recently got into LOTR. Have yet to see Return of the King, though.
I'd say don't waste your money, but I've the feeling I'm in the minority on that. Jackson did nice work with the plot and it's all very pretty eye candy, but he butchered way too many characters. And the dialogue that doesn't actually come from Tolkien is usually clumsy and hackneyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
I see someone's been dipping into their copy of "The Silmarillion"!! You scoundrel!!
lol - yeah. I re - re - reread it over the summer. Funny thing, I'd hoped at the end of Fellowship that Jackson would consider taking The Silmarillion on. Now I pray he keeps his hands off it.

dedalus is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 08:23 PM
  #13
NJDevs430
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
I'd say don't waste your money, but I've the feeling I'm in the minority on that. Jackson did nice work with the plot and it's all very pretty eye candy, but he butchered way too many characters. And the dialogue that doesn't actually come from Tolkien is usually clumsy and hackneyed.
Well, I've already invested six and a half hours of my free time into the trilogy...why not go for the whole ten?
Of course...I'll wait until it's on STARZ or put the DVD trilogy on next years' Christmas list.
I'm a patient man...
}:-)>

NJDevs430 is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 08:41 PM
  #14
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
I loved what Jackson did with the LOTR movies. Of course, like all movies derived from books, alot has been either left out, or to quote Dedalus "butchered". However, for me, I don't think there's a sci/fi-fantasy movie out there that offers the type of escape LOTR does. They're long films, but I am so grateful to Jackson for actually taking the material seriously, and doing his damnedest to create a cinematic work of art. Fantasy movies have really sucked the last few years. These three were a nice breath of fresh air. IMHO of course.


Dedalus,

Could the Silmarillion even be filmed? It's really more of a history book than anything else, don't you think? Rumor has it that after Jackson finishes the re-make of "King Kong" (yes another Kong re-make) he's going to do "The Hobbit", which I'm very excited about.

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
12-29-2003, 08:47 PM
  #15
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
You're just jealous because you don't own The One Ring of Power!!!!!!!!!!!!
No but i am in sole possession of the Enchanted Cup of Coffee which brings sunshine to dreary mornings and allows me to put simple phrases together with only brief stoppages for the occasional grunt, yawn or cough.

As for the series, to me they represent what hollywood needs more of, epics.

people will sit through long movies IF they are good. the lord of the rings series proved that, pirates proved that and the lord of the rings series will be long remembered as movies that TRULY showed why DVD was the single greatest advancement in movie making since the invent of audio tracks.

Edge is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 06:01 AM
  #16
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
Dedalus,

Could the Silmarillion even be filmed? It's really more of a history book than anything else, don't you think? Rumor has it that after Jackson finishes the re-make of "King Kong" (yes another Kong re-make) he's going to do "The Hobbit", which I'm very excited about.
I'm not worried about his treatment of The Hobbit. That's lightweight stuff and it'll be nicely done. The Silmarillion would be a massive project - as big as the trilogy for sure. You'd start by cutting out "Ainulindale" and abridging the beginning of "Valaquenta." Fortunately Tolkien is dealing with the standard Western creation myth and fall of Satan, so he can afford to take short cuts and not risk losing his Western audience. (I have no idea how LOTR is being received in the East anyway.)

It would definitely tough as epics usually don't make good films. (Has there EVER been a good version of The Odyssey?) Maybe you're right and it can't be done, but if someone tries it I don't want it being Jackson. For starters it would demand TONS of dialogue written for it since JRRT wrote so much less dialogue relative to the Trilogy. Jackson and his screenwriters have been inept as far as I'm concerned in their writing of LOTR, so I definitely don't want them trying language that's even more stylized.

dedalus is offline  
Old
12-30-2003, 06:25 AM
  #17
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
No but i am in sole possession of the Enchanted Cup of Coffee which brings sunshine to dreary mornings and allows me to put simple phrases together with only brief stoppages for the occasional grunt, yawn or cough.

As for the series, to me they represent what hollywood needs more of, epics.

people will sit through long movies IF they are good. the lord of the rings series proved that, pirates proved that and the lord of the rings series will be long remembered as movies that TRULY showed why DVD was the single greatest advancement in movie making since the invent of audio tracks.
Ahh, enjoy your coffee. However, I am basking in the world of Vacation, which kicks coffee's a$$ any day of the week. Hehehehehe

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 03:13 AM
  #18
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
Ahh, enjoy your coffee. However, I am basking in the world of Vacation, which kicks coffee's a$$ any day of the week. Hehehehehe
my next one doesnt come till may, when i get married.

it'll be a fun month, married, new house and probably switching jobs to a different marketing firm around the same time.

but i do get 11 days in orlando so i cant complain.

Edge is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 03:36 PM
  #19
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
my next one doesnt come till may, when i get married.

it'll be a fun month, married, new house and probably switching jobs to a different marketing firm around the same time.

but i do get 11 days in orlando so i cant complain.

Ahh...congrats on the up coming marriage. That's excellent. Enjoy every second of it man...if comes and goes quickly.

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
01-03-2004, 01:33 PM
  #20
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
the honeymoon or the marriage? lol

Edge is offline  
Old
01-03-2004, 02:41 PM
  #21
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
the honeymoon or the marriage? lol

Hehehe, I thought the same thing after I posted it. The wedding day and the honeymoon. You'll be all over the place that day. Barely realize you're there before family members are kissing you goodbye.

Shadowtron is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.