HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

ECSF (4) Boston Bruins vs. (6) New York Rangers

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
I agree. He's too good to continue this slump.
Unless he's hurt, which he better be given how he failed to perform against a lackluster Caps defense. I hope he's not, and I hope he wakes up because this team needs him running on all cylinders moving forward, but I will be a bit miffed to find out that there was no real reason behind his horrific 1st round effort.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:21 PM
ltrangerfan

IMO, This series will be far tougher.

The Caps were a one dimensional team. Stop Ovi and the Caps were
a non playoff team.

The Bruins have far more offensive balance so we will see if the D is really as strong as we saw in the last few games.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:44 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
IMO, This series will be far tougher.

The Caps were a one dimensional team. Stop Ovi and the Caps were
a non playoff team.

The Bruins have far more offensive balance so we will see if the D is really as strong as we saw in the last few games.
I just don't see that balance right now. In the first round, the Bruins were pretty much a one line team. I think that the deeper you go in the matchups, we are much better. (3rd paid, 3rd, 4th lines etc.)

Historically 2nd round matchups are far less emotional than the first round. Form tends to hold more often. I like the Rangers and I like the possibility that this could be a shorter than usual series.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
You got my support. Go Rangers.
Likewise.

Rooting for the Sens

Old
05-14-2013, 11:54 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Let's remember that Toronto's defense was horrible. Phaneuf, while a solid player, made a ton of boneheaded plays in that series. Gardiner is young and pretty much handed the winning goal to Bergeron. Franson is up and down. They only have one first pairing defenseman and then a bunch of borderline second pair players. Reimer, who had a tremendous series, let up those goals because of that terrible defense. If that were the Rangers in game seven, the game ends 4-1. No way does a team come back against us like that in the playoffs, with this defense, and this goaltender.

The Rangers are the opposite of Toronto's D ó arguably the best in the league. They have an elite shutdown pair, a mobile second paring (whether it be Del Zotto or Moore with Stralman) and a capable third pairing (Del Zotto/Moore with Eminger). It'll be even better when/if Staal returns to the lineup.

Lucic-Krejci-Horton is a very good line, but I doubt they're nearly as productive in this series. Let's also remember that we limited the third best offensive team in the east (Boston was eighth) to 12 goals in seven games.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
05-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Zappy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I just don't see that balance right now. In the first round, the Bruins were pretty much a one line team. I think that the deeper you go in the matchups, we are much better. (3rd paid, 3rd, 4th lines etc.)

Historically 2nd round matchups are far less emotional than the first round. Form tends to hold more often. I like the Rangers and I like the possibility that this could be a shorter than usual series.
I agree. Not sure where everyone is getting this idea that the B's are offensively well rounded right now. If you have watched the B's series at all (or even strictly looked at stats to be honest) you would know that isn't the case.

Not saying the team doesn't have potential to be an overall offensive threat - but right now, they have one line doing most of their work.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Aufheben
Crick Nash

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Let's remember that Toronto's defense was horrible. Phaneuf, while a solid player, made a ton of boneheaded plays in that series. Gardiner is young and pretty much handed the winning goal to Bergeron. Franson is up and down. They only have one first pairing defenseman and then a bunch of borderline second pair players. Reimer, who had a tremendous series, let up those goals because of that terrible defense. If that were the Rangers in game seven, the game ends 4-1. No way does a team come back against us like that in the playoffs, with this defense, and this goaltender.

The Rangers are the opposite of Toronto's D ó arguably the best in the league. They have an elite shutdown pair, a mobile second paring (whether it be Del Zotto or Moore with Stralman) and a capable third pairing (Del Zotto/Moore with Eminger). It'll be even better when/if Staal returns to the lineup.

Lucic-Krejci-Horton is a very good line, but I doubt they're nearly as productive in this series. Let's also remember that we limited the third best offensive team in the east (Boston was eighth) to 12 goals in seven games.
And the #1 PP in like 20 years (correct?). Thank Brassard we don't have to worry about a PP like that this series. The pathetic PP showdown.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:45 AM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
For all the criticism the Rangers get for not retaliating back against Boston, they seem to have a pretty damn good track record against that team in terms of actually winning the game.
It's why we always beat Philly too. They don't give in to the goonery. We're the opposite of the Penguins... In more ways than one lol.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:18 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Chara
Boychuk
McQuaid
Hamilton
Barkowski
Johnson
Krug

Seidenberg
Ference
Redden

Quote:
Both Hamilton and Bartkowski exceeded 20 minutes of ice time in Game 7.

Krug, 22, recorded an assist in his one NHL game this season. He has played in just three NHL games in his career and never skated in the playoffs.

The Bruinsí other option would be veteran Aaron Johnson, who has played in nearly 300 NHL games, but none in the postseason. He also hasnít played since March 30.
http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin..._up_on_defense

Is Johnson playing with Krug the extra D?

Quote:
On Tuesday, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli indicated to the media that Boston might be without Ference, Redden and Seidenberg and could have a "different look" for Thursday's game.

Later in the day, the Bruins recalled defenseman Torey Krug from Providence.

"Maybe we have a different look than we're used to, as far as puck transporting," Chiarelli said. "Maybe that's a good thing, but that's what we're going to be. We're calling up Torey Krug today to come along for the ride, so you may see him at a point. Those three D, if they're in the lineup, give us a little different complexion back there."
http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/...ensemen-game-1

Old
05-15-2013, 06:46 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
We match up better against Boston than Washington. I wanted them in the first round rather than the Caps. That said, they're a better team than Washington. Should be a tough series, but I like our chances.

If Wade Redden doesn't score at least one big goal this series I'll be stunned.

It's just pain.
Old
05-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Should be an easy win for the Rangers. The Bruins have played a ton of emotional hockey over the last 3 weeks, and they are nearly spent. They're also bruised and battered from their run with Toronto.

The key for the Rangers is to stay away from the overly physical stuff and stay healthy. Just grind them down and force them to skate hard.

Hopefully my Sens can find another miracle and figure out a way to have a nice rematch with the Rangers in the ECF. That would be amazing.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:41 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
We match up better against Boston than Washington. I wanted them in the first round rather than the Caps. That said, they're a better team than Washington. Should be a tough series, but I like our chances.

If Wade Redden doesn't score at least one big goal this series I'll be stunned.
Game 7 Jagr ties it with 1.2 seconds left in regulation and Redden wins it in OT.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:04 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Should be an easy win for the Rangers. The Bruins have played a ton of emotional hockey over the last 3 weeks, and they are nearly spent. They're also bruised and battered from their run with Toronto.
You can make literally the exact same arguments about the Rangers. Plenty dinged up and it's been 5 weeks of emotional hockey instead of 3.

Series is going to be extremely tight.

05-15-2013, 08:08 AM
NYR Viper

Need to take advantage of their d injuries while they last. Have to play under the assumption they will all be back for Game 2 and they need to win Game 1.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:31 AM
Bruinsfan33
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

Really? The rangers scored 1 goal in 4 games last round and all of a sudden they are "more balanced?" In scoring? Bruins scored 21 goals last round.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:34 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Need to take advantage of their d injuries while they last. Have to play under the assumption they will all be back for Game 2 and they need to win Game 1.
Yep. No excuses not to win at least 1 in Boston with the way their D looks. The series will get harder as they regain their D men. Gotta take the "easy" ones while we can.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Nash Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
You can make literally the exact same arguments about the Rangers. Plenty dinged up and it's been 5 weeks of emotional hockey instead of 3.

Series is going to be extremely tight.
Agree with this. Not sure where the "easy" and "quick" series ideas are coming from. Both teams are banged up, hoping their primary scoring wakes up, and will likely go as far as their goaltending takes them (although this last point is really applicable to all teams).

I would love a sweep, but can't see this ending before game 6 either way. I know we have played well vs Boston in the recent past, but I see each game being determined by a fortunate bounce or two.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Bruins have never lost in less than seven under Julien.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
I agree. Not sure where everyone is getting this idea that the B's are offensively well rounded right now. If you have watched the B's series at all (or even strictly looked at stats to be honest) you would know that isn't the case.

Not saying the team doesn't have potential to be an overall offensive threat - but right now, they have one line doing most of their work.
That's a misunderstanding of all of the aspects of offensive depth. Sometimes, it's not all lines scoring goals, but just one hot line. Depth means that, usually when that line cools off, another line or two lines can pick it up.

Saying that only one line is scoring isn't saying that the team doesn't have offensive depth.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:11 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The injuries to Seidenberg and Ference appear to be long term injuries. You know Seidenberg is injured if couldn't play after getting hit by the Leaf player.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Zappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
That's a misunderstanding of all of the aspects of offensive depth. Sometimes, it's not all lines scoring goals, but just one hot line. Depth means that, usually when that line cools off, another line or two lines can pick it up.

Saying that only one line is scoring isn't saying that the team doesn't have offensive depth.
You aren't addressing what I said correctly.

I never said they didn't have depth. I said that they aren't offensively well-rounded right now. So yes, one line scoring isn't saying that the team doesn't have the depth, that is correct. They do have depth and the potential to get points from any one of those lines. But, one line scoring is also saying that their offense isn't firing on all cylinders right now, which it isn't.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

I'm saying that offensive depth means the team doesn't need to be firing on all cylinders at all times. So, I was addressing your point, half reinforcing and half modifying.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:26 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

we need to overcome that defense, damn guys if they are without their best d-men we cannot afford to play soft

Old
05-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
You aren't addressing what I said correctly.

I never said they didn't have depth. I said that they aren't offensively well-rounded right now. So yes, one line scoring isn't saying that the team doesn't have the depth, that is correct. They do have depth and the potential to get points from any one of those lines. But, one line scoring is also saying that their offense isn't firing on all cylinders right now, which it isn't.
Apart from game 7 when we got at least 1 goal from each line, we've been a one line team offensively as well; the Zucc-Brass-Whoever line. Most of our main offensive pieces aren't firing on all cylinders either.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:52 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
we need to overcome that defense, damn guys if they are without their best d-men we cannot afford to play soft
It sets up very similarly. You can bet they'll try and get their top line out their with Del Zotto - Eminger on the ice. I don't know much about Bartkowski/Krug/Johnson but you'd have to assume they're better than what we would be putting in to replace our injured guys (Gilroy-Bickel). Staal's return would be enormous but I just have zero reason to believe he's coming back.

I think that our 3rd/4th lines are going to play the biggest role early in this series. One of my biggest gripes with Torts has always been him not rolling his lines (something the Bruins always do) and getting every one involved. The ONLY time we ever see it happen is when the fourth line can find a way to score in their 2 or 3 shifts. On Monday they got the big goal from Asham and so he decided to give them more time. As the score grew more and more in our favor they got more and more ice. Asham has looked really good in the playoffs. With Richards on that line now and Kreider there's no reason they can't see at least a few more shifts. They're going to have Chara matched up with Nash you'd assume. So Hags-Step-Cally need to generate offense and that third line with Pyatt-Boyle-Dorsett really has a chance to be a huge difference maker against their third pairing.

Closed Thread