HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XL

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Canucks View Post
Edler for Ryan
Schneider for Couturier
Add O'Byrne, McClemment (Whoops! Not UFA...subbed in Lapierre) and Torres to that, and our team is looking dangerous.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Derek Roy ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Dale Weise ($0.677m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Raffi Torres ($1.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)
Ryan O'Byrne ($1.250m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Jim Vandermeer ($0.525m) /
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,479,278; BONUSES: $450,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $270,722

We're a PMD (left or right on this line up) away from looking very dangerous.

Last edited by Cogburn: 05-15-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old
05-15-2013, 12:17 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I would take Stastny over Roy in a head to head situation. IMO his size and faceoff ability make him better suited to go head to head with Getzlaf, Kopitar, Thornton etc...

It depends, IMO. I think Roy is more dangerous offensively, and can get more out of less. Speed is such a big part of that equation. He causes coverage problems all over the ice due to it and his IQ, where Stastny is more wholly reliant on his IQ.

Stastny is 200 lbs, which is about average, and he doesn't use it that well either. O'Reilly is the guy that does that, and everyone can see the difference between how they utilize similar frames/size. So while him being bigger better helps him against Getz/Kopi et.al., I'm not sure he can effectively use his size in such match ups in any significant sense.

Quote:
The Sharks strong faceoff ability explains Roy's putrid 35% playoff faceoff numbers but he was only 40% in the regular season for the Canucks. If your shoulder isn't healthy, you'll really struggle taking faceoffs. Roy also used to be a quality goalscorer. Is it a coincidence his goalscoring fell off a cliff since damaging his shoulder? I doubt it.

Probably right. Something Gillis will have to monitor in order to assert Roy's potential future value. Although if he expects his shoulder to get better, then it really shouldn't be an issue moving forward.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:16 AM
JuniorNelson

I think most of the proposed changes in the GM thread are optimistic. I don't think, based on his known record that Gillis is going to become a dynamic trader stripping anaheim of assets and ravaging Philadelphia or Florida for Luongo.

The free agent pool is quite shallow this year. Centers, in particular are a rarity. For me there is no FA option for Vancouver at center. Roy? Cervenka? Wellwood? Those are the top guys under thirty, by salary. They are a great group if you want to add smallness.

On the bright side there are two biggies, I'd like to look at, Douglas Murray and Guillaume Latendresse. I think Murray could solve a lot of Edler's issues. Latendresse is a left winger to replace Booth. I doubt Gillis agrees, except he might like their price tags, which are reasonable. I think this sort of small addition is more likely than adding a superstar.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:18 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
If Edler gets it bad around here, I couldn't imagine the hate Green would get here.
I would never hate Green, I have his jersey

although I don't hate Edler so the point is moot

Old
05-15-2013, 01:24 AM
LPH

On the topic of Schroeder, imo we just have to give him a shot this year to know what we have in him. He is solid defensively and showed flashes of offensive flair. If not then we have to go in another direction, or if he does work out he could be trade bait.

I don't see how any more AHL time could be beneficial to his development at this point. Of course there are going to be some warts in his game, but you have to expect that for players just entering the NHL. At worst he becomes invisible while playing decent defense.

We should try to put him in the best situation to succeed. ie surrounding him with offensive talent and some 2nd unit PP time (not on the point).

Old
05-15-2013, 01:41 AM
BlueRoyal14

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
On the topic of Schroeder, imo we just have to give him a shot this year to know what we have in him. He is solid defensively and showed flashes of offensive flair. If not then we have to go in another direction, or if he does work out he could be trade bait.

I don't see how any more AHL time could be beneficial to his development at this point. Of course there are going to be some warts in his game, but you have to expect that for players just entering the NHL. At worst he becomes invisible while playing decent defense.

We should try to put him in the best situation to succeed. ie surrounding him with offensive talent and some 2nd unit PP time (not on the point).
The question is, where does Schroeder fit into the lineup next year? As capable as he is at the NHL level, I think most of us will agree the Canucks need someone more appropriate for 3rd line center duty than Schroeder and slotting him in as the 4th line center would just be waste.

I say give him the 2nd line RW spot. He has the wheels to keep up with Kesler and he might just be the sort of crafty playmaker Kesler needs.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:48 AM
Plebeian
Play Your Game

This isn't really a year I expect us to do anything, In the offseason the only moves I expect is a Luongo trade, Booth buyout and Ballard trade. With the falling cap for only next season it will be a good year to see what we have; Get a new coach and see how the players respond and play as many prospects as possible to give them a sense of what they need to work on. Let the Sedins' play out the final year of their contract and then when the cap rises we should have plenty of cap space to work with. The only big move that makes sense this offseason instead of next would be to trade Edler for a young prospect.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:52 AM
Henrik To Daniel

xtra large thread.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:07 AM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRoyal14 View Post
The question is, where does Schroeder fit into the lineup next year? As capable as he is at the NHL level, I think most of us will agree the Canucks need someone more appropriate for 3rd line center duty than Schroeder and slotting him in as the 4th line center would just be waste.

I say give him the 2nd line RW spot. He has the wheels to keep up with Kesler and he might just be the sort of crafty playmaker Kesler needs.
I agree that you have to question where he fits, but it is time to see what we have in him and although icing the best lineup is important. The development at the NHL level may just be what JS needs to take the next step.

I don't think he worked on the wing, but it may be worth a shot. Kesler could also play wing (and take all of the faceoffs). Unless his ego gets in the way

Old
05-15-2013, 02:20 AM
opendoor

Quote:

He's waiver eligible next season, so the only way he gets sent to the AHL is if the Canucks are willing to lose him for nothing.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:28 AM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Add O'Byrne
why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why

hes really really bad awful **** bad hockey player doesnt know hockey bad at hockey and plays hockey really badly

Old
05-15-2013, 02:36 AM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why

hes really really bad awful **** bad hockey player doesnt know hockey bad at hockey and plays hockey really badly
this, he got major hype at the deadline because there was a lack of defenders available (and cause he went to Toronto)

He is a #7 at best and I doubt he is even an improvement over Alberts

Old
05-15-2013, 02:38 AM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
He's waiver eligible next season, so the only way he gets sent to the AHL is if the Canucks are willing to lose him for nothing.
Of course, I continually forget about this. He will 100% be a regular next year, no way Gillis let's a first rounder sit in the pressbox or go through waivers

Old
05-15-2013, 02:38 AM
BrandonL

Quote:

I would lose my mind if the Canucks entered training camp expecting Schroeder to start on the second line.

If we have learned anything from this teams failures over the past two playoffs, it's that the Canucks need to add more snipers and size to their top six. I don't really think taking an undersized forward with limited offensive potential and playing him away from his natural position is the answer.

At this point, I think it would be unwise to expect Schroeder to be an every day player next season. If he comes into camp and surpasses our expectations, then that's great. If not, then he can compete with guys like Jensen and Lain for depth positions in the bottom six.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:40 AM
BrandonL

Quote:
this, he got major hype at the deadline because there was a lack of defenders available (and cause he went to Toronto)

He is a #7 at best and I doubt he is even an improvement over Alberts
Thought Alberts was great in his role down the stretch for the Canucks this season.

Let him and Corrado battle it out for that #7 spot next season.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:46 AM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonlee View Post
Thought Alberts was great in his role down the stretch for the Canucks this season.

Let him and Corrado battle it out for that #7 spot next season.
yup, I was pleasantly surprised by Alberts this year, played very solid when called upon

Old
05-15-2013, 03:15 AM
Nucker101

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin(6.1m) - Henrik Sedin(6.1m) - Zack Kassian(870k)
Alexandre Burrows(4.5m) - Ryan Kesler(5m) - Nathan Horton(5.25m)
Clarke MacArthur(2.25m) - Jordan Schroeder(1.3m) - Jannik Hansen(1.35m)
Chris Higgins(2.5m) - Maxim Lapierre(1.25m) - Chad Larose(1.8m)
Adam Hall(750k)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis(4.5m) - Kevin Bieksa(4.6m)
Jason Garrison(4.6m) - Chris Tanev(1.5m)
Jordan Leopold(3m) - Frank Corrado(599k)
Alexander Sulzer(1m)

GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider(4m)
Eddie Lack(750k)

Transactions
Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
Trade Roberto Luongo to New York Islanders a conditional draft pick
Trade Alex Edler and a pick/prospect to the Carolina Hurricanes for the 5th pick
or
Trade Alex Edler to the New Jersey Devils for the 9th pick.

Picks in this year's draft: 1st, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,524,444
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $775,556

I was a little generous with the contracts since I assume that UFA's will be overpaid as usual, but realistically the cap space would be closer to 1.5 million since I went a few hundred extra thousand higher on the signings just for wiggle room. Either way that gives the new coaching staff 4 lines to roll and 3 pairing to roll plus potential to move different players up and down the lineup if need be. I chose to sign players with good puck possession stats, but you could always replace a guy like MacArthur with Torres. But that line-up would be able to provide some good scoring top to bottom and I'd trust all 4 lines in the playoffs. I would have loved to have been able to sign a guy like Boyd Gordon over Schroeder, but I think he'll get 2 million+ thrown at him. Leopold can play top 4 minutes in case of injury which is why I signed him over a typical 3rd pairing d-man, plus he somewhat eases the loss of Edler, again I'd love to sign a guy like Mark Streit but I think he'll get some nice offers.

Last edited by Nucker101: 05-15-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old
05-15-2013, 03:33 AM
BlueRoyal14

Quote:
I would lose my mind if the Canucks entered training camp expecting Schroeder to start on the second line.

If we have learned anything from this teams failures over the past two playoffs, it's that the Canucks need to add more snipers and size to their top six. I don't really think taking an undersized forward with limited offensive potential and playing him away from his natural position is the answer.

At this point, I think it would be unwise to expect Schroeder to be an every day player next season. If he comes into camp and surpasses our expectations, then that's great. If not, then he can compete with guys like Jensen and Lain for depth positions in the bottom six.
You'd freak out if Schroeder was in the top 6 next season, yet you'd be fine with him in the bottom 6, where attributes like grit, physicality, faceoff ability and defensive ability are arguably even more important?

I think what people need to accept is the Canucks aren't going to be taking another step next year. They aren't going to be contenders and nor should they try to be. That's why people like myself would be just fine having a young guy like Schroeder in the top 6. The Canucks are entering a different phase than the one we've gotten used to the past several years. It's re-tooling time.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:35 AM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If we intend to keep Schroeder next year and not lose him to waivers, it's the only place we can put him. He didn't look out of place this year, and he'll only be better next year. Good offensive instincts and defensively sound, he's still a decent choice, if not ideal.
I think Schroeder could be a pretty good player in the Eastern Conference. He just seems more suited for it. We need to convince and Eastern GM that this is the case

Old
05-15-2013, 04:13 AM
BrandonL

Quote:
You'd freak out if Schroeder was in the top 6 next season, yet you'd be fine with him in the bottom 6, where attributes like grit, physicality, faceoff ability and defensive ability are arguably even more important?

I think what people need to accept is the Canucks aren't going to be taking another step next year. They aren't going to be contenders and nor should they try to be. That's why people like myself would be just fine having a young guy like Schroeder in the top 6. The Canucks are entering a different phase than the one we've gotten used to the past several years. It's re-tooling time.
If you are gifting Schroeder a top six spot in training camp, you aren't re-tooling. You are rebuilding. Edmonton Oilers / Connor Mcdavid type rebuilding. Those are the type of moves teams make when they want to win the draft lottery, not retool a Stanley cup contender.

Listen, I'm fine with giving Schroeder (and guys like Jensen, Lane, Corrado) the opportunity to make the team next season. If a young player comes into camp and earns a spot, then great. However, you're running the franchise into the ground if you're counting on someone with 9 career NHL points to play a top six role next season.

Last edited by BrandonL: 05-15-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old
05-15-2013, 05:28 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
We're a PMD (left or right on this line up) away from looking very dangerous.
With $0 of cap space and a really sweetheart deal on Roy, I doubt we're adding anything.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:48 AM
BrandonL

Slava Voynov would make a really interesting target for an offer sheet, particularly if the Canucks move one of their top four d-men.

His speed and transition game would add an element to the Canucks that they are clearly missing. He's only 23 years old and his upside looks pretty high. Also, based off the Kings GDT's, he plays the right side.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Derp Kassian

Quote:
Slava Voynov would make a really interesting target for an offer sheet, particularly if the Canucks move one of their top four d-men.

His speed and transition game would add an element to the Canucks that they are clearly missing. He's only 23 years old and his upside looks pretty high. Also, based off the Kings GDT's, he plays the right side.
Kings have 14 million in capspace, Tanev could get offersheeted though and the Canucks could do nothing about it.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:07 AM
BrandonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Kings have 14 million in capspace, Tanev could get offersheeted though and the Canucks could do nothing about it.
Good point. It would put the Canucks in a difficult situation if someone gave Tanev an offer sheet for 3.3 million per year. All the Canucks would get back is a second round pick.

I'm not even sure what I would do in that scenario, I guess you have to match?

Old
05-15-2013, 08:01 AM
GrogZilla

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Kellan Lain ($1.200m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.300m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)
Tom Sestito ($0.800m) / Dale Weise ($0.800m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.200m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Henrik Tommernes ($0.680m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,619,444; BONUSES: $162,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,843,056

I imagine something like this.
With maybe adding a Boyd Gordon or some such veteran 3C
Without moving a guy with a NTC, there isn't much wiggle room & I just don't think anyone with a NTC will get moved.

Closed Thread