HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brodeur statue??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2012, 07:32 PM
  #51
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw
 
JerseyGuy276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A Flood Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 9,109
vCash: 500
Wow...actually looks pretty nice.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:46 PM
  #52
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!
 
glenwo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Country: United States
Posts: 24,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasFTW View Post
No. They are The New Jeresy Devils not Marty's Devils. Marty will never be forgotten. There is no need for a Stupid statue for Rags Fans to gawk at or vandalize.
FIXED.

'Cause you know it's true.

glenwo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:39 PM
  #53
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin
 
kyle evs48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 31,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
I'm all for the team first mentality...but lets be honest here...Since 1994, the New Jersey Devils have been, Marty Brodeur...
He's been a big part of their identity, yes. But he is 0/3 on Smythe trophies. The Devils have had their success with good teams, not solely on Brodeur.

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:50 PM
  #54
Bleedred
Ruutu means one
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sign Tallinder!!!!!!
Country: United States
Posts: 47,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
He's been a big part of their identity, yes. But he is 0/3 on Smythe trophies. The Devils have had their success with good teams, not solely on Brodeur.
Brodeur is all but official Conn Smythe Trophy winner in 03.

Seriously F Jiggy.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:30 PM
  #55
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,512
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boring Trap View Post
We should use that wall for one of Kovy's many troll faces.
With all of his comical facial expressions, he could fill up every blank surface at the Rock if we painted them all.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:43 PM
  #56
devilsblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
He's been a big part of their identity, yes. But he is 0/3 on Smythe trophies. The Devils have had their success with good teams, not solely on Brodeur.

Smythe or no Smythe, Brodeur brings credentials to the table that no other Devil ever has. In fact he brings credentials that no other player in the history of the sport can match. Guy is a more then just a Devils legend, he's a hockey legend.

And the Devils do honor individuals. They have done it numerous times. So the Devils will honor Brodeur(and already have on multiple occasions), it's only a matter of, to what extent? Personally I fully support honoring the greatest Devil with the greatest of gestures.

And again, it would also add to the environment outside the building. Double victory.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:04 AM
  #57
Bleedred
Ruutu means one
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sign Tallinder!!!!!!
Country: United States
Posts: 47,314
vCash: 500
Brodeur has the 03 Conn Smythe in my book. Maybe if we would have won in 6 games they wouldn't have given it to Jiggy. Hextall won in 87 too, and his team lost. Don't remember how many games it went to. Think it might have been 7 too?

Seriously that's what I'm bitter about. Where is he now? He's 35 years old playing backup on a garbage chump trash pail team who sucks. I bet he'll get the start next week with Colorado, and own us like Clemmensen did though. I only bring it up cause Marty having no Conn Smythes was brought up!

Marty had 7 shutouts that playoff year even though he had a bad 03 Conference finals with Ottawa. Gave up a lot of easy ones that series from what I remember. I doubt this is why he got screwed out of the Conn Smythe though. Seriously 7 shutouts, and the deciding game 7 was one of those 7 shutouts! Giguere who have been totally appropriate had they won.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:02 AM
  #58
Al Trautwig
Throaty Roar
 
Al Trautwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The MSG Vault
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
F this noise that we are a team first team. We are and he has been shining example of that for our franchise. The way I look at it, The NHL has always downplayed his career and has always put other people in the spotlight during his career. I would be disappointed if our team did the same when it comes time to properly honor someone, when they conclude their careers, especially all with one team.

Really Conn Smythes? Easily could have had it in 95 or 00 and he won it in 03, I do not care. He struggled against Ottawa? The clear cut best team in the league that year with offensive firepower to spare. I spent that entire series crapping myself because that team scared me. We shouldn't have beat them and we did.

I don't think the Devils could do anything to honor Brodeur and it would over the top. They could etch his face on the surface on the moon and I would think it would be totally appropriate. One Man Club and the backbone of our franchise since 1992. They don't grow on trees people. Ken Daneyko might be Mr. Devil and Scotty will always be The Captain but Martin Brodeur is the New Jersey Devils and derseves to be honored as such when he calls it a day.

Al Trautwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:19 AM
  #59
Bleedred
Ruutu means one
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sign Tallinder!!!!!!
Country: United States
Posts: 47,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Trautwig View Post
F this noise that we are a team first team. We are and he has been shining example of that for our franchise. The way I look at it, The NHL has always downplayed his career and has always put other people in the spotlight during his career. I would be disappointed if our team did the same when it comes time to properly honor someone, when they conclude their careers, especially all with one team.

Really Conn Smythes? Easily could have had it in 95 or 00 and he won it in 03, I do not care. He struggled against Ottawa? The clear cut best team in the league that year with offensive firepower to spare. I spent that entire series crapping myself because that team scared me. We shouldn't have beat them and we did.

I don't think the Devils could do anything to honor Brodeur and it would over the top. They could etch his face on the surface on the moon and I would think it would be totally appropriate. One Man Club and the backbone of our franchise since 1992. They don't grow on trees people. Ken Daneyko might be Mr. Devil and Scotty will always be The Captain but Martin Brodeur is the New Jersey Devils and derseves to be honored as such when he calls it a day.
I wasn't taking away anything from him in that Ottawa series. I just remember him giving up goals that people think nowadays if he gives up he needs to be benched, and Hedberg needs to start.

I think he won the the Conn Smythe in 03. Seriously F Giguerre, and his crocodile tears after they lost.

I hope Colorado starts him next week, and we light him up.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:25 AM
  #60
Al Trautwig
Throaty Roar
 
Al Trautwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The MSG Vault
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
No knock on you my brother, and my apologies if you took it as a knock...

More a reaction to outsiders opinion of him, that anybody could have been our Goalie and had the same if not more success. I'll never love an athlete more than Martin Brodeur, he has been a constant in my life since I was 11. I'm 29 now. He is that last link of my childhood and it blows my mind that somebody who I saw as a nobody playing a preseason game against the Capitals would become statistically the greatest goalie of all time. I chose him as "my guy" cause he looked cool. How funny is that?

Go Devils!

Al Trautwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:37 AM
  #61
Bleedred
Ruutu means one
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sign Tallinder!!!!!!
Country: United States
Posts: 47,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Trautwig View Post
No knock on you my brother, and my apologies if you took it as a knock...

More a reaction to outsiders opinion of him, that anybody could have been our Goalie and had the same if not more success. I'll never love an athlete more than Martin Brodeur, he has been a constant in my life since I was 11. I'm 29 now. He is that last link of my childhood and it blows my mind that somebody who I saw as a nobody playing a preseason game against the Capitals would become statistically the greatest goalie of all time. I chose him as "my guy" cause he looked cool. How funny is that?

Go Devils!
I was in high school when Brodeur became starter. 12th grade a Senior. He really split time with Terreri that season. Think he might have played a handful more games than Terreri, and aside from two playoff games played all the playoffs, and won the Calder.

Not many player from when I was in high school left. He's the ONLY one on the Devils. Only a handful still remain from then. Selanne, Hamrlik, Lidstrom can't think of many more.

I don't want him to retire either, and I know his days are numbered, but I think he's good for at least another season.

People say he sucks now, but after a shaky start he's shown he can still make the big saves, and keep us in the game. He's had like 4 or 5 games of only one goal now. He had more shutouts last year yes, but add his shutouts, and 1 goal games last year, and he's had more one goal games this year than the shutouts, and one goal combined. 1 shutout, and I believe 14 one goal games now. 3 more could have easily been shutouts if not for defensive breakdowns.

When I point out the Ottawa series I try to use that as an example of how Marty aint much different now than he was then. He gave up saveable goals once in a while then. It's just easier to see them now to most people because he's almost 40!

I think he's got one or two more GOOD years left. Yes I said that!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:47 AM
  #62
Al Trautwig
Throaty Roar
 
Al Trautwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The MSG Vault
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I was in high school when Brodeur became starter. 12th grade a Senior. He really split time with Terreri that season. Think he might have played a handful more games than Terreri, and aside from two playoff games played all the playoffs, and won the Calder.

Not many player from when I was in high school left. He's the ONLY one on the Devils. Only a handful still remain from then. Selanne, Hamrlik, Lidstrom can't think of many more.

I don't want him to retire either, and I know his days are numbered, but I think he's good for at least another season.

People say he sucks now, but after a shaky start he's shown he can still make the big saves, and keep us in the game. He's had like 4 or 5 games of only one goal now. He had more shutouts last year yes, but add his shutouts, and 1 goal games last year, and he's had more one goal games this year than the shutouts, and one goal combined. 1 shutout, and I believe 14 one goal games now. 3 more could have easily been shutouts if not for defensive breakdowns.

When I point out the Ottawa series I try to use that as an example of how Marty aint much different now than he was then. He gave up saveable goals once in a while then. It's just easier to see them now to most people because he's almost 40!

I think he's got one or two more GOOD years left. Yes I said that!
I think that I can look back on it, the last couple of years Marty and the Devils have probably overachieved and weren't as good of a team as we wanted or hoped, especially last year. This incarnation started slow but is gaining some serious MOE at the right point. I want to say i have visions of 2000 dancing in my head, Young kids, Grizzled Vets just getting hot at the right time, all the more if we get Florida in the first round, deja vu all over again! Marty is a stud, always will be. I hope this season rejuvenates him a bit and I believe, like you there is still plenty of fight left in this ol' dog.

Al Trautwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:50 AM
  #63
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Archer, p.i.
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 51,323
vCash: 369
wow - someone broke character and their silence. Must have struck a nerve.

Ok, I'll recant my previous requirement if they make the statue him stacking the pads against #66 from the Pens.

__________________


Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:59 AM
  #64
Capt Andy Poo
Holik to HHOF
 
Capt Andy Poo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,425
vCash: 500
I think there should be Marty something at the Champsionship Plaza, but dno if it's a statue or what. Something that's not easily vandalizeable. But im in favor of something like this, statue would be great.

Capt Andy Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:20 PM
  #65
Al Trautwig
Throaty Roar
 
Al Trautwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The MSG Vault
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
wow - someone broke character and their silence. Must have struck a nerve.

Ok, I'll recant my previous requirement if they make the statue him stacking the pads against #66 from the Pens.
Haha, the Carolina series sent me into a 3 year coma.

Al Trautwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:43 PM
  #66
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!
 
glenwo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Country: United States
Posts: 24,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Trautwig View Post
Haha, the Carolina series sent me into a 3 year coma.
You should post more now.

glenwo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:51 PM
  #67
Bleedred
Ruutu means one
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sign Tallinder!!!!!!
Country: United States
Posts: 47,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
You should post more now.
I think so too.

However when I did see the name Al Trautwig I thought I was gonna open this thread, and see how Marty got a fake shutout that was not legit, because of the BRUTAL! call.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:59 PM
  #68
Al Trautwig
Throaty Roar
 
Al Trautwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The MSG Vault
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Thanks guys. It so nice to be wanted!

Honestly, passion for the Devils waned, just Life threw me for a loop the past couple years, Lost alot of close people in my life and where the Devils were always this great escape from reality, sometimes you have to put aside your love for something to care for people who were dealing with the losses I mentioned before. I spent some time in Europe backpacking and came back to the states unsettled because I truly hated living on Long Island, so I moved to Eugene, Oregon a few months back to recharge my spirit.

So Im back baby. Probably be a 50/50 schtick and serious if that is cool with everyone.

Al Trautwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
  #69
RJK
Registered User
 
RJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,449
vCash: 500
please god no!!!! i love marty...believe me i LOVE marty...but these statues are never done well, always look creepy, and always come across as cheesy to me. 30 goes into the rafters the second he hangs em up and that's good enough for me

RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
  #70
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,512
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Trautwig View Post
So Im back baby. Probably be a 50/50 schtick and serious if that is cool with everyone.
Your schtick is far better than any of the other ones we've got going, so I say carry on.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:41 PM
  #71
MJB Devils23*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Trautwig View Post
Haha, the Carolina series sent me into a 3 year coma.
The ending of that series was BRUTAL!

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:08 AM
  #72
Kennholt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
All this talk about statues reminded me of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12950708

For anyone who have seen Fulham play, its even more bizzare. Proper w*nk gesture tho.

Kennholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:56 AM
  #73
Jersey Man
Mad Dog
 
Jersey Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,607
vCash: 500
Definitely something inside the arena. Outside? If there's room because there is already a huge statue in the plaza.

Which I love seeing every time I come to the Rock.

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 03:09 AM
  #74
Devilshark
Registered Abuser
 
Devilshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Trautwig View Post
No knock on you my brother, and my apologies if you took it as a knock...

More a reaction to outsiders opinion of him, that anybody could have been our Goalie and had the same if not more success. I'll never love an athlete more than Martin Brodeur, he has been a constant in my life since I was 11. I'm 29 now. He is that last link of my childhood and it blows my mind that somebody who I saw as a nobody playing a preseason game against the Capitals would become statistically the greatest goalie of all time. I chose him as "my guy" cause he looked cool. How funny is that?

Go Devils!
Wiiiiiiiiise from your gwaaaaaave!!!!


Had to revive this thread because as a 30 yr old Devils fan, this post right here, encapsulates exactly why so many Devils fans think

A) He Deserves a statue

and B) the thought of his career coming to an end is in many ways, horrifying.

Thinking about B tonight is how I found this thread. Marty not on the Devils is such an alien concept.

Devilshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:32 AM
  #75
BrodeursCups
....
 
BrodeursCups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NoDak now NYC area
Country: United States
Posts: 29,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Nothing is too "over the top" regarding this guy. He deserves everything x1000 we do to honor him when he hangs em up. I don't care if Lou has a statue constructed in Manhattan, dragged through the streets and by the garden, through the tunnel and down 1/9 to the rock.

They better be handing out free boxes of tissue at the door for his retirement night because the tears flowing that night will make even Messier proud.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.