HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League #5: 2013 Play-offs Edition!: Nucks fire AV, AVs hire Roy

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 11:40 PM
The Perfect Human*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Perfect example of the lack of respect in the game is that Torres hit on Stoll.
Guys use to be team mates, bar buddies, friends.
Torres has him in a pretty vulnerable spot and tries to take his head off.
I loved it. Shows that he puts the team above anything else now. Focused on getting his team going.

He's been the Sharks best forwards this game IMO. Not saying much but still.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:42 PM
The Perfect Human*

Personally I dislike the Kings, but I hate the Penguins more than any other team. I feel no other team but the Kings are poised to beat them for the rest of the playoffs.

Chicago is great, but they lack scoring depth in their bottom-6. I don't feel they'd be able to stop both Crosby and Malkin.

A combination of Kopitar-Richards should really shut down Malkin/Crosby, especially given the wingers they play with. That system is really conducive to killing players. Sharks look like kittens in this series. Crosby/Malkin will be mincemeat.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:48 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Hopefully the Kings and Hawks line up next round and skill wins the day. Sutter's style is effective but bores me half to death.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:51 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Does a team ever win their first game after a sweep?

Poor San Jose, had to run into a goalie Jonathan Beast in Quick Mode today

Old
05-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

So now the Sharks get their own medicine forcefed to them. They'll know exactly how Vancouver felt.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
05-14-2013, 11:59 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
So now the Sharks get their own medicine forcefed to them. They'll know exactly how Vancouver felt.
Not sure what this means

Old
05-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Not sure what this means
Losing games by close margins. Having the other team's goaltender outplay your own by 1 or 2 shots. Having an opponent who knows how to draw penalties too.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:16 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Oh fair enough. SJ has a long history of playing quite well but letting a goalie get into their heads, the fact that its Quick doesn't help lol.

I'd say Sharks forwards are better overall, though not having Havlat hurts, but the Kings D, goaltending and PK is better.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:46 AM
Toydarian

It's weird, LAK play a tremendous game and system. In a way, almost perfect hockey, yet I find my enjoyment watching is as neutralized as their opponents. Just not very entertaining to watch.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:35 AM
The Perfect Human*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
It's weird, LAK play a tremendous game and system. In a way, almost perfect hockey, yet I find my enjoyment watching is as neutralized as their opponents. Just not very entertaining to watch.
Not fun unless the other team is playing the same style. STL-LAK was a pleasure to watch.

SJS just looks pathetic right now, I feel bad for those players. Must be the most frustrating thing in the world trying to beat that system, and continually getting out-powered and bashed by the bigger Kings.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Perfect example of the lack of respect in the game is that Torres hit on Stoll.
Guys use to be team mates, bar buddies, friends.
Torres has him in a pretty vulnerable spot and tries to take his head off.
TBH I half expect that if Torres didn't approach this professionally and put his own present team ahead of any outside ties or friendship that people would blame him for the opposite.

Isn't it part of professional play to put any and all association aside when it comes to competing against opponents and especially in the playoffs? Your criticism is strange.

Torres is being paid to perform a role and against the most physically imposing team in hockey. The Sharks are outmatched in this series, knew they needed more physicality, and its why Torres is in the lineup.

So he's performing as desired.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
Its up to you or anybody but one can learn to appreciate the solid aspects of the Winning game that the Kings are playing. One can admire the outright commitment of the entire team to a system of play that allows them to be better than the parts. Make no mistake either that the KIngs have excellent parts.

Theres a large core of players here that are exceptionally talented and that could play a less focused game, get away with it, and be the Washington Capitals, but are willing and committed to be that much better.

As fans the reason I think we watch playoffs is seeing excellence. With the Kings we truly are in every capacity and at every position.

Quite simply the LA Kings are playing immutable hockey right now and doing it well within the rules and without the holding, clutching, interference that was so allowed a decade or more ago.

This is just an excellent team playing hockey at its highest level.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Losing games by close margins. Having the other team's goaltender outplay your own by 1 or 2 shots. Having an opponent who knows how to draw penalties too.
Are you suggesting the Sharks were not full value for the series sweep?

The Sharks were simply the better club. The result really wasn't much of a mistake and was entirely predictable.

There was no doubt in my mind whatsoever that the Sharks would walk all over the wounded Canucks.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:57 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Are you suggesting the Sharks were not full value for the series sweep?

The Sharks were simply the better club. The result really wasn't much of a mistake and was entirely predictable.

There was no doubt in my mind whatsoever that the Sharks would walk all over the wounded Canucks.
Their power play was full value.

The Sharks are an average team who rode absurd streaks of PP percentage throughout the year.. as soon as those opportunities disappear there won't be anything left.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Their power play was full value.
And the Nucks PP and pk was ******. Isn't it part of the game?

ftr one of the reasons I predicted a Sharks victory is Nucks meltdowns and poor discipline were imminent and that a savvy Sharks club with vet experience would feast on that.

tbs the Kings are not going to be offering up those softball pitches..

Old
05-15-2013, 12:26 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 27s
#NHL news. An in-person hearing has been requested by the league for #Sharks Raffi Torres. Meaning another lengthy suspension is possibility

Old
05-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 27s
#NHL news. An in-person hearing has been requested by the league for #Sharks Raffi Torres. Meaning another lengthy suspension is possibility
I've looked at this play several times and its curious at best.

1)It was shoulder to shoulder contact. That was the point of impact pure and simple. Obviously with enough force the hit, with any force follows through to make some incidental contact with the head. This is physics in action folks. But again the first point of contact is shoulder to shoulder.

2)Charging? Stoll just played the puck, oddly with his hand which is strange enough as he had time to play it with his stick and not put himself in a bad position by bending over.

3)If the hitter on this play is any other than Raffi Torres is it even a penalty? Would the league even be looking at this?

We all know Torres has a history. But was this hit really that bad? What was wrong with it?

Old
05-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Funny exchange taken from Sharks board re: Torres hit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark
Come on Shanny.

That's not even a major penalty. Let alone a suspension.

OH WAIT, IT'S TORRES?!?!?! DEPORT HIM!!!!
To Vancouver. That's worse than hell.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:14 PM
joestevens29

Reverse angle it's hard to tell, he might've hit head first

Last edited by s7ark: 05-15-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: fixed video embed
Old
05-15-2013, 01:29 PM
joestevens29

Whatever happened to guys getting fined for blasting officials? Ovechkin seems to have been given a pass and now GMGM is doing the same. I kinda liked WSH and Ovi, but shut the **** up and take the loss with integrity.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:48 PM
4thlineforlife

Cervanka returning to KHL #1stlinecenter

Old
05-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Personally I dislike the Kings, but I hate the Penguins more than any other team. I feel no other team but the Kings are poised to beat them for the rest of the playoffs.

Chicago is great, but they lack scoring depth in their bottom-6. I don't feel they'd be able to stop both Crosby and Malkin.

A combination of Kopitar-Richards should really shut down Malkin/Crosby, especially given the wingers they play with. That system is really conducive to killing players. Sharks look like kittens in this series. Crosby/Malkin will be mincemeat.
I disagree (with your hypothesis that Chicago would not beat the Pens). There were two reasons Pittsburg made it past the Islanders:
  1. Powerplay
  2. Vokoun
  • Honorable mention to the Isles porous D and shaky Goaltending
That's it. Chicago cannot maintain their 100% PK but it will still be a lot better than the Isles. The 'Hawks were also the best 5v5 team in the regular season and are second in the playoffs. Although Pittsburgh is no slouch in that department the Hawks are MILES better than the Islanders. And as much as I like the Vokoun story I don't see him continuing that play throughout the entire playoffs.

Furthermore...what was the BIGGEST reason the Isles had so much success against the Penguins? SPEED KILLS! The Pens may have depth but it's slow depth. Morrow and Iginla? They're going to get torched by the speed of the Blackhawks.

In the end however I don't think it will be Chicago - Pittsburgh in the Finals. Rather instead I see it being Chicago - NYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Whatever happened to guys getting fined for blasting officials? Ovechkin seems to have been given a pass and now GMGM is doing the same. I kinda liked WSH and Ovi, but shut the **** up and take the loss with integrity.
Well seeing as how the referees get off scott-free (at least in the public eye) for their mistakes I don't mind if the fines but voicing complaints go away.

Last edited by Copperhead: 05-15-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old
05-15-2013, 02:30 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The denouement on the leafs board is delicious.

Posters there that aren't burning the org in effigy or planning a SC parade trying to come up with:

"Well, we were never expected to get this far, what an accomplishment"

Which is kind of like kissing your sister and boasting of it as some kind of grand conquest. I need mouthwash to erase that imagery.

Lets maybe recap a reality check.

An org that hasn't done anything during the second century of confederation of this country and has the gall to represent "Maple Leafs" as if its flying a flag (at half mass or letting it rub in the dirt) got bent over yet again in the last 9mins of a game 7 in which they were leading 4-1. To then of course lose in OT.

One word only comes up in this. Fail. Massive, monumental even.

This wasn't a hockey game it was divine comedy played out on the national stage and we're all thankful for the mirth. Its hard to find any hellish Dante's inferno muse anymore but this will suffice nicely. Really, this made my playoffs, anything else could happen with a smile on my face.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Turrican*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Cervanka returning to KHL #1stlinecenter
Hahahaaaaaaaaaaa

Old
05-15-2013, 03:20 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Excited to see the original six match-up tonight.

At there very least, there will be goals.

Closed Thread