HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

CIS Recruiting 2013-14

Old
05-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Dutch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySchools View Post
D Brock Beukeboom (Guelph) to UPEI.
I tought Beukeboom's career would pan out way better than this.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:33 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Article about Duffy heading to UNB from the Guardian...

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Sports/...per-eyes-UNB/1

UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:01 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Cedrick Henley (Val-d'Or) has chosen to report to the UQTR Patriotes. Big pickup as he had offers from the AHL.

Jérémie Malouin (Drummondville) will also do the same. His brother, Derek, joined the Patriotes this year after three seasons in Lakehead and will start playing next year.

http://www.lechodetroisrivieres.ca/2...pour-lhexagone

As for D-man Gabriel Vermette (Drummondville), he will be playing with Ottawa.
According to Eliteprospects.com it is rumoured that Tommy Giroux (Blaineville-Boisbriand) is also heading to the Patriotes...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=65167

Old
05-09-2013, 10:08 AM
AdamMcg83

Annouced quietly almost a year ago, former minor pro and Saginaw (OHL) captain Chris Chappell (F) will join the Warriors this fall. Chappell (6'4", 212 lbs) played 4 years with the Spirit and 3 pro years with the NYR org, including a handful of games in Hartford (AHL).

Chappell was in school this past year, but sat out 2012-13 (mandatory year off for former pro players). He'll likely see time in the top 6 forwards, and he'll be counted on to replace some of the offense left by outgoing captain Kirt Hill.

Full story: http://www.varsity.uwaterloo.ca/news...508130410.aspx

AdamMcg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Article about Duffy heading to UNB from the Guardian...

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Sports/...per-eyes-UNB/1
Bill Hunt was a bit critical of UNB in his editorial today that the press release they(UNB) published was a bit generic. I don't blame UNB actually - it's not even June - this guy could end up anywhere despite having said publicly he is going to go to UNB, so why make a big hoopla about it - “It’s still kind of early, hopefully something will come in the next month or so." - Ben Duffy

So, basically, we're his backup plan. I suspect he will play pro somewhere in the Fall and join UNB at Christmas.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Bill Hunt was a bit critical of UNB in his editorial today that the press release they(UNB) published was a bit generic. I don't blame UNB actually - it's not even June - this guy could end up anywhere despite having said publicly he is going to go to UNB, so why make a big hoopla about it - “It’s still kind of early, hopefully something will come in the next month or so." - Ben Duffy

So, basically, we're his backup plan. I suspect he will play pro somewhere in the Fall and join UNB at Christmas.
I agree. What else is UNB going to say about this other than "Horray! We're plan B!"?

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Cishockeyguy

Robbie Defulvis de-commits from Ryerson and is now going to Guelph.
Carlos Amestoy Woodstock - Guelph
Colin MacDonald Plymouth - Western
Chance Lund - Swift Current - Calgary
Dalton Reum Swift Current - Calgary
Daniel Zweep Owen Sound - Brock
Tanner Olstad Ok Oilers - Laurier

Cishockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Cishockeyguy

http://www.windsorstar.com/Spit+Posa...808/story.html

Windsor Lancers announce Recruits. Nice group of hard working players

Cishockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:47 PM
AUS Fan

re: Ben Duffy

Was talking to a guy today who says that Duffy "may" go to Germany. I'll send an email to his dad and see what the scoop is.

Stay tuned.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 11:55 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Was talking to a guy today who says that Duffy "may" go to Germany. I'll send an email to his dad and see what the scoop is.

Stay tuned.
Wouldn't be surprised. Thanks for the scoop.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 12:26 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I wonder how the roster cap in the AUS is going to effect players coming in at Christmas....are teams going to play the first half of the year one player down with the hopes they can get someone at the break/someone they recruited decides to come back?

Old
05-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I wonder how the roster cap in the AUS is going to effect players coming in at Christmas....are teams going to play the first half of the year one player down with the hopes they can get someone at the break/someone they recruited decides to come back?
This is a tremendous insight. The new rule will change a lot of things. It will be interesting to see how teams adapt to the new reality. I like the new rule a lot. It will even the playing field not just in the AUS but have impact across Canada as well.

Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Gregg Drinnan reports that Dylan Willick is being wooed by McGill and UNB. Great player and captain of Kamloops.

He also notes that Brendan Ranford may get a contract with Dallas. Makes sense given that Dallas owner also owns the Blazers. I am also convinced that any son Of a former NHLer will get a special opportunity to play pro. Their dads have a lot of friends in the old boys network known as the NHL.

Old
05-12-2013, 07:37 PM
WilcoxHound

Brendan is Bill Ranford's nephew but that connection can't hurt his future much either.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:30 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Currie

Any news on where Josh Currie of the PEI Rocket will end up?
The native of Riverview N.B., finished this season with huge numbers in the Q.
Will he end up at UNB, if Duffy goes?

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:10 AM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post

Stay tuned.
To paraphrase the reply: " Ben hasn't made a decision yet......he hasn't committed to anyone."

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 07:37 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
This is a tremendous insight. The new rule will change a lot of things. It will be interesting to see how teams adapt to the new reality. I like the new rule a lot. It will even the playing field not just in the AUS but have impact across Canada as well.
I don't believe it will "level the field" as much as the non-UNB AUS coaches hope. UNB will try their best to have the best 22 skaters they can find, and if past recruiting is an indication, their best 22 will be slightly better than everyone else's best 22 (in the AUS). Maybe that leaves a few "depth" guys that UNB won't be able to stockpile who will play for another AUS team, or elsewhere in the CIS, but it won't make UNB any less competitive (in the AUS).

The real losers going forward are the "marginal" AUS players who won't be able to make the roster of one of the top AUS teams. UNB probably won't hold a roster spot for the next Dion Campbell ... a guy who wasn't heavily recruited and worked himself into becoming an important part of the team. A lot of character MHL guys are probably going to have to pursue CIS hockey in the OUA. Does that make sense, forcing Maritimers go to to Ontario to play CIS hockey? All because the other AUS coaches were jealous of UNB's recruiting?

And don't get me started again on how short-staffed these AUS teams will be come February when the injuries pile up ...

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:25 PM
wolf13

Quote:
Unless something changed the rules isn't in place across Canada.

wolf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:26 PM
wolf13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Any news on where Josh Currie of the PEI Rocket will end up?
The native of Riverview N.B., finished this season with huge numbers in the Q.
Will he end up at UNB, if Duffy goes?
Currie is from Charlottetown.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
Unless something changed the rules isn't in place across Canada.
thats not what i meant. i meant that it will level the playing field by preventing some of the AUS teams who are throwing big money at players from out West and Ontario from signing very good players just to prevent other teams from having them.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:56 AM
wolf13

Quote:
thats not what i meant. i meant that it will level the playing field by preventing some of the AUS teams who are throwing big money at players from out West and Ontario from signing very good players just to prevent other teams from having them.
You think schools like Alberta don't do the same thing? Its kind of ironic having Canada West/OUA fans complaining about AUS schools outspending them. I really doubt the AUS schools have a financial advantage over the schools in Ontario and the West. The difference is some of the AUS schools choose to put more money into their hockey programs.

You can't possibly logically argue that it is fair to have one conference playing with a more restrictive set of rules than the other two conferences.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:51 PM
WilcoxHound

Last fall UOttawa basically delegated their varsity hockey program to Tier II status on campus when they announced that football, both men's & women's basketball and one other sport (not Hockey) would be receiving a disproportionate share of the athletic budget. The goal of the Athletic Dept appears to be to have a football team capable of kicking the crap out of UNB's hockey team.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:27 PM
SnipeShow91

UOIT adds G Colin Dzijacky from the OJHL's Kingston Voyageurs. Colin was a mid season pick up to provide solid games and give OJHL Top Goalie Charlie Finn some rest. Was huge down the stretch for us when we had 18 wins in the last 20 games. Would have been our starter if it wasn't for Finn who has a Division I scholarship to Colgate. Has RBC Cup experience when he played for Humboldt and was a member of the Woodstock Slammers.

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
You think schools like Alberta don't do the same thing? Its kind of ironic having Canada West/OUA fans complaining about AUS schools outspending them. I really doubt the AUS schools have a financial advantage over the schools in Ontario and the West. The difference is some of the AUS schools choose to put more money into their hockey programs.

You can't possibly logically argue that it is fair to have one conference playing with a more restrictive set of rules than the other two conferences.
Relax Wolf13. I'm not attempting to argue anything about fairness, nor am i suggesting that the other two leagues should or shouldn't adopt the rules re: roster size that the AUS has put in place. all i am doing is commenting on what i believe to be some of the consequences of the AUS decision.

It must be noted, however, that the word on the street is that although Saskatchewan and Alberta do throw some big coin at players (i can't speak for the OUA but i am sure it happens as well) UNB, SMU, SFX and even UPEI are known to toss even bigger coin at top players. Logic tells us that you would not have Western Canadian players (and their girlfriends, who mysteriously get scholarships as well) moving out to the East Coast for a few extra shekels. there is big money involved.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

UBC announces another big recruit

http://gothunderbirds.ca/news/2013/5...513134211.aspx

Brandon Underwood commits to UBC. bigger tougher (maybe slower too) defence looks to be on the horizon.