HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Sakic Takes Over All Hockey Operations

Old
05-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Could you see Joe Sakic going to Pat Roy's office after season 3 and telling Patrick Roy your Fired?Hope security is near
You know, I had the same worry when thinking about this scenario in the recent past, but after seeing Josh Kroenke in that presser, if things don't go well under Roy, I get the feeling Kosh won't hesitate to step in and say we need a new coach, and make show him the door.

I don't think he'll be making the hockey decisions in any way, but I also think he will be very involved in the process, and he will put his foot down when he thinks things need to change. It will be Sakic's decision on who is bought in, but I think Josh will keep a good pulse on the team, and let the group know when it's reached it's boiling point, and to tell them change is in order.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

vCash: 499
You are all putting Roy on a pedestal too much. If he became coach and had to be fired, he's not going to set up residence in his office and refuse to leave.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:14 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
it's not a pedestal they're putting him on. they're basically judging him from his playing career and assuming he's bat crap crazy.

i doubt Roy would put up much of a fight if he was fired. he'd probably just go back to the Quebec and his team.
i personally think Roy will be a highly successful NHL coach, ideally he'd coach in the AHL first but his major junior experience in all things hockey is well worth the risk.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:18 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
Has he said that's a necessity, or is it just something they'd like? I'm hoping it's not a hard deadline and just something they're aiming for, but I guess it depends on how comprehensive their search is. If a guy like Eakins is in the mix they could potentially have to wait until mid-to-late-June anyway. If they're only considering currently available experienced guys, I think the list is Ruff, Boucher, and maybe Martin, I can't honestly think of anyone else. If Tippett's at all on their radar I'm sure they'd talk to Duchene and O'Reilly after the Worlds to see what they think of playing for him, then give it a couple weeks to see how things go in Phoenix. They can't talk to him until his contract is up, but if it looks like there is no resolve in sight it might be worth waiting for.
he said during the presser that they wanted to have a coach by the draft so i'm assuming that's the deadline they want to move forward with.
my guess is the idea behind that is to ensure that the coach knows the structure of his team going into and then out of the draft.
plus it would lessen the distraction and allow the focus to be on the team and the picks.
wouldn't tie up the front office and they could focus on the draft, FA, trades & evaluating potentially call ups.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
One step Sakic/Kroenke need to take before next season is to do something tangible about the marketing/prickly PR of the Avs.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
One step Sakic/Kroenke need to take before next season is to do something tangible about the marketing/prickly PR of the Avs.
Wish we could steal the TBL's crew. What amazing PR they have.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Don't be greedy. They have a slogan. What more do you want?

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Don't be greedy. They have a slogan. What more do you want?
Something earthshattering... like the Altitude crew to say something mildly negative.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Wish we could steal the TBL's crew. What amazing PR they have.
As long as they don't bring that "Seen stamkos" nonsense.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:42 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
As long as they don't bring that "Seen stamkos" nonsense.
"Seen Stastny?"

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
"Seen Stastny?"

Well if that brings in Jenifer Love Hewitt, Ghost Whisperer... I'm all for it.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:40 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Sakic was interviewed on CBS4 All Access tonight. Just some info from it, nothing really new...

- He said he had a conversation with Josh Kroenke before taking on the role and says he wouldn't have taken the job if they weren't committed to building the team.

- He's making the final call on every decision. Likes the pressure. Don't have a time frame on the head coach.

- They've had a few people contact them about the head coaching job and they have a number of people they want to contact. Thinks the core will attract coaches. Wouldn't name Roy again.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
I think Sakic has done more interviews in the past few days than Sherman did the entire time he was in charge.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:24 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I think Sakic has done more interviews in the past few days than Sherman did the entire time he was in charge.
methinks Josh isn't with that hush hush nonsense PL had going on.
i think the team will be more open under the new regime.

but they have to overhaul the PR staff. we have the #1 pick and we should be hyping the team up like mad next season.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:38 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
You can't divide by zero.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Lefty9420

I still don't think it's Roy. I really think he stays in Quebec for another year or two to see if the Nords come back or some other Quebec franchise. If so, then I think it's 100% he becomes coach/GM or some combination of the two. If not in 4 years the Avs will be looking for a new coach anyway and he can jump in then.

Lefty9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Thrawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
You know, I had the same worry when thinking about this scenario in the recent past, but after seeing Josh Kroenke in that presser, if things don't go well under Roy, I get the feeling Kosh won't hesitate to step in and say we need a new coach, and make show him the door.

I don't think he'll be making the hockey decisions in any way, but I also think he will be very involved in the process, and he will put his foot down when he thinks things need to change. It will be Sakic's decision on who is bought in, but I think Josh will keep a good pulse on the team, and let the group know when it's reached it's boiling point, and to tell them change is in order.
You'd think Josh Kroenke would have "put his foot down" a long time ago. This team has been closer to the bottom for the last half decade or so, and we seem to be doing more of the same.

The policy of promoting from within is admirable, but hasn't worked. It is even starting to border on imbreeding though when promoting the accountant (Sherman) to GM. Wondering if the next HC won't come from the Lake Erie Monsters again.

Also hasn't helped that the Kroenke's insist at hanging around the salary floor every year. We've been there for, what, about 4 years now?

Frankly, I'm getting kind of frustrated with the Kroenke-s.

Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Razor29
52-22-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
You'd think Josh Kroenke would have "put his foot down" a long time ago. This team has been closer to the bottom for the last half decade or so, and we seem to be doing more of the same.

The policy of promoting from within is admirable, but hasn't worked. It is even starting to border on imbreeding though when promoting the accountant (Sherman) to GM. Wondering if the next HC won't come from the Lake Erie Monsters again.

Also hasn't helped that the Kroenke's insist at hanging around the salary floor every year. We've been there for, what, about 4 years now?

Frankly, I'm getting kind of frustrated with the Kroenke-s.
What a Wild thing to say.

Are you saying the Avalanche should throw money at UFA's (because they've been so damn great over the last few years) and see where it lands them?

Look at Minny, they signed 2 top tier players and they barely scraped into 8th place and got beaten soundly in what, 5 games?

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Thrawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Mode View Post

Are you saying the Avalanche should throw money at UFA's (because they've been so damn great over the last few years) and see where it lands them?

Look at Minny, they signed 2 top tier players and they barely scraped into 8th place and got beaten soundly in what, 5 games?
Guess if we're gonna feed off the bottom, may as well do it cheaply, right?

Just saying, after 4 years, it starts to look more about being "cheap" than the fear of overpaying. 4 years with that philosophy, and we were the second worst team in the league. I'm not saying we open the wallet and sign every free agent out there ala the Rangers, but there is a perception out there that the Kroenkes aren't really trying with the Avs, and are using their money elsewhere in their sporting empire. Gettign harder to dismiss that as we are approaching the half a decade mark with that philosophy.

Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:13 AM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:

Yeah, by the best team in the NHL. The Avalanche are in a better position looking forward than the Wild were before those two big signings. Imagine if Colorado added two players similar to Parise and Suter to their team. Imagine our team with those two guys signed this offseason if they were availible

Parise Duchene PAP
Landy ROR Downie
Mcginn Staz Sgarbo/Jones
Mcleod Mitchell Bordy

Suter EJ
Hejda Seth
Wilson Barrie/Elliott

Varly

I'm not saying we should go the UFA route. But i'm saying it's wrong to compare our team to the Wild and their success from taking that route.

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:47 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:

Just saying, after 4 years, it starts to look more about being "cheap" than the fear of overpaying. 4 years with that philosophy, and we were the second worst team in the league. I'm not saying we open the wallet and sign every free agent out there ala the Rangers, but there is a perception out there that the Kroenkes aren't really trying with the Avs, and are using their money elsewhere in their sporting empire. Gettign harder to dismiss that as we are approaching the half a decade mark with that philosophy.
I think that's why it's so great Josh Kroenke will be much more involved in the future. I don't think he'll automatically spend more just because he's the president now but he'll be more informed why and when it's good to open the wallet a bit more. Avs will be more than just an investment from now on imo.
Also, it's important to remember that the Avs have been rebuilding. It's only normal they were close to the cap floor. They still added good (role-)players and I think they are ready to take the next step now.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:51 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

The Avs spent 11m over the cap floor last season, and are already ~12m above the floor for next year. I think it is safe to say that the cap floor days are over until the beginning of the next rebuild.

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:58 AM
iceberg

Quote:
Sure beats been the worst team in the conference.

iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:

And your perception of the Kroenkes pre-lockout when the Avs consistently had one of the highest payrolls in the league? Or the Smyth and Hannan contracts post-lockout? History shows they are willing to be spenders more than it shows they aren't willing.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
Sure beats been the worst team in the conference.
Long-term is a first round playoff exit in five games more valuable than a top five pick?

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote