HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
05-14-2013, 03:11 AM
Avim86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
ok, so this is becoming like my car shopping blog lol

anyways

tomorrow is a day off for me, and I really want to get behind the wheel of a subaru.

The more I think about it, the more I realize a subaru can be the perfect of winter practical, sporty and not too big, at decent price.

Impreza? Legacy? outback? forester? (by the pictures, leaning more on impreza and legacy)

I've upped my budget so it's getting to be a bit more fun.
The Legacy is nice , but the BRZ is really sweet looking.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:34 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avim86 View Post
The Legacy is nice , but the BRZ is really sweet looking.
You do NOT want a BRZ for winter driving. It's RWD and balanced to be able to drift (bring its back end out) at like 50 kph. That equals a very poor winter driving car.

I own a WRX and a Forester and they are amazing in the snow with good winter tires.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:45 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
Looking at buying a compact SUV in the near future but there really isn't anything interesting out right now... every manufacturer seems to be making similar vehicles with low ground clearance.
The new 2014 Subaru Forester is very nicely equipped at the top end (XT Limited with EyeSight and Multimedia) and it has some great off road capabilities. (new x Drive mode) and also has 8.7" of ground clearance which is pretty good for an SUV stock. Throw in the great AWD and its a decent option.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:54 AM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Typical M-power fanboy

I'm not hating on M cars, they're wonderful... But the C63 in the hand of a pro, is faster. (Albeit, it's really close.)

Another one in this category is the Cts-V.

Really when it comes down to it is what you really want... Which one do you think looks better? Fits your pocket the best...

Personally, I'd go with a real weekend car, but this is a nice daily driver...
Your just talking out your butt, E92 M3 ranges from 7:57 to 8:11 on the nurburgring the C63 ranges from 8:08 to 8:23 so I dont get your point, yes I am a fanboy but car for car BMW makes the best in the world and nobody can dispute that. If BMW would get off there high horse and make a supercar it would be the best.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:05 PM
coolasprICE

http://www.johnscottisubaru.com/en/u...Montreal-grey-

THOUGHTS?
Kinda ugly, but love that sun roof , awd, and I dunno, i like ugly boxy look vs modern bubble styling

Im going to go visit it now Ill have my phone with me and check up on this thread!

FEEEEDBACK PLEASE...good deal??

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:12 PM
BlackMarvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
The new 2014 Subaru Forester is very nicely equipped at the top end (XT Limited with EyeSight and Multimedia) and it has some great off road capabilities. (new x Drive mode) and also has 8.7" of ground clearance which is pretty good for an SUV stock. Throw in the great AWD and its a decent option.
Hey habit, I am looking at upgrading from my little yaris in the near future and I had pretty much narrowed my picks on the 2012 impreza, 2012 accord or maybe the new crosstrek. My main worry though going forward with subaru is that most reports I've read mention that cabin noise can get pretty bad on the highway and if there's one thing I'm looking for in my new purchase is less noise when i drive (The yaris is awful for that). How bad is the noise really?

BlackMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:40 PM
NHLcrazy

What's the Better choice? (A used 2011 or 2012 with about 30,000kms);

BMW X3 28i
Audi Q5 2.0T

Or for same price a new Hyundai SantaFe, Subaru Outback or Honda CRV (all AWD).

I can't make up my mind... gotta decide soon the little family is expanding!

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:16 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post

BMW X3 28i
Audi Q5 2.0T

I work for BMW so my advice is a little bias, we had some issues with the previous generation X3's but the the new ones are doing very well so far very low Warranty $ spent so far. I like the look of the Q better, but the BMW drives a million times better, and as a nicer interior, my personal opinion.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

BMW X3 28i
Audi Q5 2.0T

I like the Q5 , personal taste.
The best of the lot is the Honda CRV. I have had 4 Hondas, we'll probably be shopping for our 5th next year.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Mister Potato

Hi all,

I am really interested in antique, classic cars and I am currently shopping for my first one. Do you guys know reliable sites or sellers ? I have been surfing mostly online through kijiji but I am not sure if sellers are reliable. What should I pay attention to when I check the car and how to be sure I am not buying a piece of garbage ? And do you guys know if maintenance on older cars would cost a lot ?

Thanks

Mister Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:11 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
http://www.johnscottisubaru.com/en/u...Montreal-grey-

THOUGHTS?
Kinda ugly, but love that sun roof , awd, and I dunno, i like ugly boxy look vs modern bubble styling

Im going to go visit it now Ill have my phone with me and check up on this thread!

FEEEEDBACK PLEASE...good deal??
Well thanks for the feedback guys

Car was sold literally minutes before I got there.

However good news is that I realized this is the car I want, with a must option being the panorama sunroof. I tested a 2010 however I found it a bit to SUV like drive, felt like a boat. The previous generations are a bit more car-like and sun roof is huge, which is a clincher for me.

The issue is not many on for sale and the ones that are no where near as good of a deal as this one, with high mileage.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
Your just talking out your butt, E92 M3 ranges from 7:57 to 8:11 on the nurburgring the C63 ranges from 8:08 to 8:23 so I dont get your point, yes I am a fanboy but car for car BMW makes the best in the world and nobody can dispute that. If BMW would get off there high horse and make a supercar it would be the best.
Not talking out of my ass at all. Where did you get those times?

I agree about the supercar though, a M1 successor is a need.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:

However good news is that I realized this is the car I want, with a must option being the panorama sunroof. I tested a 2010 however I found it a bit to SUV like drive, felt like a boat. The previous generations are a bit more car-like and sun roof is huge, which is a clincher for me.

The issue is not many on for sale and the ones that are no where near as good of a deal as this one, with high mileage.
Tough little truck... I really hate the looks of it, but its practical.

Not sure about the reliability/maintenance... I never even drove a Subaru in my life (From what I can remember.)

Old
05-15-2013, 07:40 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMarvel View Post
Hey habit, I am looking at upgrading from my little yaris in the near future and I had pretty much narrowed my picks on the 2012 impreza, 2012 accord or maybe the new crosstrek. My main worry though going forward with subaru is that most reports I've read mention that cabin noise can get pretty bad on the highway and if there's one thing I'm looking for in my new purchase is less noise when i drive (The yaris is awful for that). How bad is the noise really?
To be completely honest, the biggest noise maker on both my WRX and my wife's Forester are the TIRES! Huge difference depending on what you get. Yes there is a bit of wind noise but it does not bother me at all. Take one for a test drive on a highway and see for yourself. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:42 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Tough little truck... I really hate the looks of it, but its practical.

Not sure about the reliability/maintenance... I never even drove a Subaru in my life (From what I can remember.)
Those years of Foresters are indestructible. You will continue to see them go up for sale, just keep looking.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:39 AM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Not talking out of my ass at all. Where did you get those times?

I agree about the supercar though, a M1 successor is a need.
Just found the lowest and highest time I could find for both, even with oem times its 8 seconds quicker, considering the C as 70hp more, and the BMW only being 100lbs lighter is what makes BMW's what they are, the competition usually as more power yet the BMW comes out ahead most of the time. The M1 was a disaster actually from what Ive been told, I just wish they made a car to rival the 911.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:29 AM
coladin

Quote:
ok, so this is becoming like my car shopping blog lol

anyways

tomorrow is a day off for me, and I really want to get behind the wheel of a subaru.

The more I think about it, the more I realize a subaru can be the perfect of winter practical, sporty and not too big, at decent price.

Impreza? Legacy? outback? forester? (by the pictures, leaning more on impreza and legacy)

I've upped my budget so it's getting to be a bit more fun.
Isn't a well equipped Legacy into A4 territory?

I have a lot of respect for Subarus, but the Audis seem quite strong right now. It may depend if you lease or buy to see what deals are out there.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:32 AM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
You do NOT want a BRZ for winter driving. It's RWD and balanced to be able to drift (bring its back end out) at like 50 kph. That equals a very poor winter driving car.

I own a WRX and a Forester and they are amazing in the snow with good winter tires.
I wouldn't be scares of the BRZ in the winter. I drive my C63 year round, and being in Ottawa, we get our fair share of snow. With Blizzaks the car was just fine, especially with traction control and dynamic stability, which is , to me , more important than traction. Catches your car in slides. Most cars have this technology.

I have driven my 99 Mustang GT, 05 Mustang GT, 08 G37S coupe and now my Mercedes in the winter and with proper winter tires they were all just wine, and fun!

The only problem I had with my C63 was ground clearance. I got beached twice as we had two sticky snowfalls of around 15cm or so . Had the wife and kids sit in the trunk and got out

Old
05-15-2013, 10:36 AM
coladin

Quote:

BMW X3 28i
Audi Q5 2.0T

I wouldn't consider either without an extended warranty. If you can get them to deal on extending the warranty, I would take the Q5. The BMW may be slightly better driving, although the reviews I have read stated otherwise, and X3s have not been the most well built cars ( I believe it is still out sourced to Magna Steyr in Austra?). Audis have issues of their own, mostly electronic.

Can't beat new, though and the security it gives you.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:38 AM
coladin

Quote:

If you like it that's what matters. Solid reliable transportation. Looks-wise? Blurp. The turbo ones look better!

Old
05-15-2013, 10:45 AM
coladin

Quote:
It is very hard to ascertain what the true abilities are of these cars on the track. A lot of the manufacturers tweak their cars for this track. Either way a few seconds over, what, 13 kilometers is it? Ferrari will not Chris Harris test their cars anymore because he states that Ferraris that get tested by journalists are not what they are selling on the floor, so... it is a very competitive industry.

I don't think they make the best cars anymore, I think back about 10 years ago their cars were more dynamic, around the time of your M3. Nowadays, I personally think they have lost their way to their competitors. Electric steering, electric audio enhancements for the engine ( because they sound terrible), too much technology has essentially ruined what was the ultimate driving machine.

Audi right now is taking both BMW and Mercedes to school. I drove an S4, A7 and S6 last week because I was thinking of making a switch and they are really superior right now in many ways. I didn't connect with any other cars, though. I don't think Audi right now, or the M cars can compete with the AMG sector, but the rest of the lines are pretty similar, still giving the nod to Audi.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Just found the lowest and highest time I could find for both, even with oem times its 8 seconds quicker, considering the C as 70hp more, and the BMW only being 100lbs lighter is what makes BMW's what they are, the competition usually as more power yet the BMW comes out ahead most of the time. The M1 was a disaster actually from what Ive been told, I just wish they made a car to rival the 911.
The M1 is quite legendary. But yeah, it didn't sell much... I would totally buy one! But hey, I'm crazy for 70's-80's supercars

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Isn't a well equipped Legacy into A4 territory?

I have a lot of respect for Subarus, but the Audis seem quite strong right now. It may depend if you lease or buy to see what deals are out there.
Pretty much, I'd say the Audi drives like a slightly more powered Civic, without the quattro package, which is not fun at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
I wouldn't be scares of the BRZ in the winter. I drive my C63 year round, and being in Ottawa, we get our fair share of snow. With Blizzaks the car was just fine, especially with traction control and dynamic stability, which is , to me , more important than traction. Catches your car in slides. Most cars have this technology.

I have driven my 99 Mustang GT, 05 Mustang GT, 08 G37S coupe and now my Mercedes in the winter and with proper winter tires they were all just wine, and fun!

The only problem I had with my C63 was ground clearance. I got beached twice as we had two sticky snowfalls of around 15cm or so . Had the wife and kids sit in the trunk and got out
I drove my RX8 during one winter... (Well when there was 2 inches or less...) Worst mistake of my life. I hate driving at 45 degrees in a straight line

Old
05-15-2013, 10:56 AM
coladin

Yes, I am a car nut!

Old
05-15-2013, 11:41 AM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
The M1 is quite legendary. But yeah, it didn't sell much... I would totally buy one! But hey, I'm crazy for 70's-80's supercars

Pretty much, I'd say the Audi drives like a slightly more powered Civic, without the quattro package, which is not fun at all.

I drove my RX8 during one winter... (Well when there was 2 inches or less...) Worst mistake of my life. I hate driving at 45 degrees in a straight line
For potential raw power Audi as the advantage though, I have a buddy with an RS4 with a simple tune he's up to almost 550hp he blows the doors off my M3 in a straight line, but when we went to Tremblant last year was quite embarassing almost 5 second difference each lap and he had close to 200hp on me. The advantage I had was I run Michelins while he had lowly Pirelli's.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
For potential raw power Audi as the advantage though, I have a buddy with an RS4 with a simple tune he's up to almost 550hp he blows the doors off my M3 in a straight line, but when we went to Tremblant last year was quite embarassing almost 5 second difference each lap and he had close to 200hp on me. The advantage I had was I run Michelins while he had lowly Pirelli's.
Totally different beast, though. I was talking about a non-quattro A4, so pretty much a civic with LED lights