HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible role players for next season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-14-2013, 02:09 PM
  #126
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I wonder if Edmonton can trick them into thinking Sam Gagner will emerge as a #1C. St.Louis has a lot of pieces that Edmonton would want..

Mainly I would want Edmonton to focus on Shattenkirk (prob won't happen) and Berglund.

So i like the idea of a Berglund for Gagner swap. I wonder what Edmonton would have to add to make it worth it?

What about a package deal like

To Edm:
Berglund
Shattenkirk
late 1st

To St. Louis
Gagner
MPS
7th overall
They need someone that is big or plays big. They loss out partly because of a grinding game. Adding Gagner isn't their answer.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:25 PM
  #127
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
They need someone that is big or plays big. They loss out partly because of a grinding game. Adding Gagner isn't their answer.
Andy MacDonald seems to fit their system very well and he is the same size as Gagner.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:44 PM
  #128
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Andy MacDonald seems to fit their system very well and he is the same size as Gagner.
And his neck is thicker than Gagner's torso.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:52 PM
  #129
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Andy MacDonald seems to fit their system very well and he is the same size as Gagner.
And there was talk pre-tdd that he'd be someone they let walk. I don't see how they bring him back now.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:37 PM
  #130
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,777
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
I'm not gonna deny the fact that I don't like the guy but I think my reasoning is pretty justified and it has nothing to do with how effective he is. Lapierre has a strong reputation for diving and embellishing to draw penalties. There is more than enough video evidence online to support this.

I've also watched enough of him, including his time with Montreal, to see how often he'll stir up trouble and then coward away resulting in one of his teammates having to step for him. We need more guys who can pick up for our younger players on the team, not more guys who need to be picked up for. Lapierre may be a pest and he may get under other players skin but if he's also out there getting penalties for diving and risking injuries to teammates who have to fight his battles for him then I really don't see how he can help us more than hurt us which was my original argument in the first place.
He definitely does embellish, but its not as though he's out there taking diving calls every night. The forcing teammates to fight thing is overblown though imo. You don't have to fight everyone, and he can hold his own when need be

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:03 AM
  #131
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I wonder if Edmonton can trick them into thinking Sam Gagner will emerge as a #1C. St.Louis has a lot of pieces that Edmonton would want..

Mainly I would want Edmonton to focus on Shattenkirk (prob won't happen) and Berglund.

So i like the idea of a Berglund for Gagner swap. I wonder what Edmonton would have to add to make it worth it?

What about a package deal like

To Edm:
Berglund
Shattenkirk
late 1st

To St. Louis
Gagner
MPS
7th overall
I see literally no possible way that the Blues trade Shattenkirk. None. Not even for Hall, he was their best d-man this year.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:29 AM
  #132
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I see literally no possible way that the Blues trade Shattenkirk. None. Not even for Hall, he was their best d-man this year.
That's why he was relegated to bottom pairing after acquiring JBO?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:29 AM
  #133
Jeff Lebowski
Registered User
 
Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 527
vCash: 500
So what's the deal with Fistric? Are the Oilers going to try to sign him or is he going UFA for sure? I sure hope we can keep him. We don't have enough physical punishing defensemen and I don't think they're too easy to come by.

Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:33 AM
  #134
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
So what's the deal with Fistric? Are the Oilers going to try to sign him or is he going UFA for sure? I sure hope we can keep him. We don't have enough physical punishing defensemen and I don't think they're too easy to come by.
Last I heard I thought they put negotiating on the back burner as they were 500k out a year over 3 yeras.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:34 AM
  #135
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
So what's the deal with Fistric? Are the Oilers going to try to sign him or is he going UFA for sure? I sure hope we can keep him. We don't have enough physical punishing defensemen and I don't think they're too easy to come by.
The only way I hope they keep him is if they keep him as a #7. They need 2 defence man that are better than Fistric other wise they are in trouble.

xxx-xxx
Smid-Petry
J Schultz-N Schultz
Fistric/Potter

This would be best case for Klefbom to get some NA experience in OKC.
I really hope that MacT does not think that those two xxx roles can be filled by Marcinin and Klefbom next year...

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:43 AM
  #136
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
The only way I hope they keep him is if they keep him as a #7. They need 2 defence man that are better than Fistric other wise they are in trouble.

xxx-xxx
Smid-Petry
J Schultz-N Schultz
Fistric/Potter

This would be best case for Klefbom to get some NA experience in OKC.
I really hope that MacT does not think that those two xxx roles can be filled by Marcinin and Klefbom next year...
I don't think you see the defense properly. We need a top pair guy, that's all. There's nothing wrong with bringing in Klefbom at the NHL level next year as long as he brings it in camp. Bottom pair, with Nick Schultz as his partner. Nick Schultz had a horrible year, but I chalk that up to being overplayed and put in the wrong situations. Bottom pair should be fine for him. That really only leaves us with a spot next to Justin Schultz as an essential spot to fill, assuming we aren't trading any of our other d-men.
XXXX - J. Schultz
Petry - Smid
Klefbom - N. Schultz

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:44 AM
  #137
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
That's why he was relegated to bottom pairing after acquiring JBO?
To balance out the lineup, certainly not because he was playing poorly.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:53 AM
  #138
The Big Unit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 500
@ Great One and Nuge

I agreed with another poster's suggestion of Lapierre because we don't have a true pest on this team and haven't had one for a long time. Whether or not we sign him or a guy like him (perhaps someone with courage), we need a pest on this team.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:06 AM
  #139
The Big Unit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Baloney. It wouldn't be the first time a captain was a 4th liner, and it wouldn't be the last either. I think you're assuming that Horcoff would be whining, but there is no evidence to suggest it. He'd still be getting prime pk minutes as well, and probably some pp time, so its not like he would be only playing 5 minutes a game.
How often do captains get demoted from first line center to 4th line center within 3 years? Do you think the guys in the room want to be led by a guy who keeps getting demoted? I don't care how much prime PK minutes he'd get because he'd still be a 4th liner and 4th liners are expendable; especially with a $5.5M cap hit. What you're suggesting is ridiculous.

If you're going to do that to Horcoff just buy him out. Earlier you suggested signing Cullen for veteran leadership. Great! We're missing veteran leadership. But where does that leave your veteran captain? You don't make a mockery of the C because that hurts the organization's culture. God knows we already have a bad rep when it comes to management respecting players here, and as much as I want him to be bought out, Horcoff has a good reputation among NHL players. That's a move that would come back to bite us.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:24 AM
  #140
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
To balance out the lineup, certainly not because he was playing poorly.
I don't know his time dropped by 3 minutes everyone elses goes up?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:34 AM
  #141
Moneypuck
Registered User
 
Moneypuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
How often do captains get demoted from first line center to 4th line center within 3 years? Do you think the guys in the room want to be led by a guy who keeps getting demoted? I don't care how much prime PK minutes he'd get because he'd still be a 4th liner and 4th liners are expendable; especially with a $5.5M cap hit. What you're suggesting is ridiculous.

If you're going to do that to Horcoff just buy him out. Earlier you suggested signing Cullen for veteran leadership. Great! We're missing veteran leadership. But where does that leave your veteran captain? You don't make a mockery of the C because that hurts the organization's culture. God knows we already have a bad rep when it comes to management respecting players here, and as much as I want him to be bought out, Horcoff has a good reputation among NHL players. That's a move that would come back to bite us.
The last Oiler captain spent many a games on the 4th line. Ethan Moreau lived there half of his days since the end of the lockout. Culture smulture, Horcoff out of the picture is a good thing. He's one of many who always play in their cozy comfort zone. Horc doesn't care, if he did we'd see more of that 95-100% effort from him rather than the 90% and less effort we've seen these last 5 yrs. The guy's a gluteous maximus.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:52 AM
  #142
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I don't think you see the defense properly. We need a top pair guy, that's all. There's nothing wrong with bringing in Klefbom at the NHL level next year as long as he brings it in camp. Bottom pair, with Nick Schultz as his partner. Nick Schultz had a horrible year, but I chalk that up to being overplayed and put in the wrong situations. Bottom pair should be fine for him. That really only leaves us with a spot next to Justin Schultz as an essential spot to fill, assuming we aren't trading any of our other d-men.
XXXX - J. Schultz
Petry - Smid
Klefbom - N. Schultz
Justin Schultz also regressed in the latter half of the season from being over played. I think they need a top pair guy as well as a top 4 guy. Put J Schultz on the bottom pair with N Schultz to reduce his minutes but still use him on the PP.

If they can get two more D man there is no need in rushing Klefbom, sure if he brings it in camp he can force us to make a move later but to pencil him in and not make a move is a risk I do not like them taking. If Klefbom is not the player people think he is than our defence looks weak..

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:03 PM
  #143
McNutty780
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
at this point i dont care who we get back. I dont want any of our bottom six back next year. Sadly, most of them will be back next year. I can see it happening

McNutty780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:04 PM
  #144
The Big Unit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypuck View Post
The last Oiler captain spent many a games on the 4th line. Ethan Moreau lived there half of his days since the end of the lockout. Culture smulture, Horcoff out of the picture is a good thing. He's one of many who always play in their cozy comfort zone. Horc doesn't care, if he did we'd see more of that 95-100% effort from him rather than the 90% and less effort we've seen these last 5 yrs. The guy's a gluteous maximus.
How much time did Moreau spend on the 1st line in his days as an Oiler? How about 2nd line? Moreau's cap hit was never close to $5.5M a year and he was never leaned on as a major contributor the way Horcoff was supposed to be. Geez guys what's so hard to understand about this? Do you also remember that Moreau was waived? If your plan is to reduce Horcoff to a 4th line role, just buy him out and sign a cheap centre for the 4th line.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:07 PM
  #145
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,777
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Last I heard I thought they put negotiating on the back burner as they were 500k out a year over 3 yeras.
Yep. I sure hope we don't let him walk over 500k though. Young dmen that can absolutely freight train people aren't that easy to come by

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:25 PM
  #146
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Yep. I sure hope we don't let him walk over 500k though. Young dmen that can absolutely freight train people aren't that easy to come by
2mil for a #6/7 d-men is a lot of cash though. I'd be okay on 1 year, but 3 years it doesn't leave us as much flexibility.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:05 PM
  #147
Great One
Registered User
 
Great One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
@ Great One and Nuge

I agreed with another poster's suggestion of Lapierre because we don't have a true pest on this team and haven't had one for a long time. Whether or not we sign him or a guy like him (perhaps someone with courage), we need a pest on this team.
Everyone will have different opinions of what this team needs, and who's to say any of us are wrong? Having a pest on the team may be exactly what we need and I guess we won't know until it actually happens.

But from what I've seen from this team and what I think we need more than anything are players with size and physicality that can also chip in on the scoresheet every now and then. I think we need more players that can win battles in the corners and create space for our more skilled guys. I found the bigger teams like San Jose just had their way with us because we just weren't strong enough to take the puck from them.

Players that come to mind that fit this suit are Lucic or Backes (obviously these players are not available), but to a lesser extent and free agents that could actually be attainable are players like Clowe, Clarkson or even Horton who may be a little softer than the rest of the guys but he can win battles.

Like I said, maybe a pest could fit in great with this type of team but for me it all depends on what type of pest you're talking about. If you're talking about guys like Ott, Neil, or Tootoo then I'm all for it. These guys can take care of themselves. Marchand is also a special case because he has the ability to score 30 goals. But if you're talking about a player like Lapierre or Kaleta that are known more for their antics then no thanks.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 02:37 PM
  #148
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,777
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
2mil for a #6/7 d-men is a lot of cash though. I'd be okay on 1 year, but 3 years it doesn't leave us as much flexibility.
I don't necessarily mean just giving him the extra 500k, but I'm sure there's a compromise. Maybe give him an extra year?

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 02:56 PM
  #149
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I don't necessarily mean just giving him the extra 500k, but I'm sure there's a compromise. Maybe give him an extra year?
4 years? I sooner just give him 1 year 2.5mil.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 02:59 PM
  #150
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,777
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
4 years? I sooner just give him 1 year 2.5mil.
I'm just using it for an example. I too would rather go short term and give him the money he wants. Give him a full season to prove he can be a regular in the lineup, and then we can talk about a longer deal

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.