HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread XI

Old
05-11-2013, 11:40 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
They dont need that 8.8% cap space next year. Amnestying Briere and LTIRing Pronger gets them enough cap space. When they will need that cap space is next summer when they need to resign G, Schenn, Coots, and Read. I'd rather they wait and buy out Bryz then instead of them using his money to sign a player they dont need to a big contract this summer, essentially screwing them for next year. They always spend to the cap.

It also gives Mason another year to develop and get his game consistently where he wants it without having the pressure of being "the guy". If Mason out plays Bryz, give him more starts. If Mason flops, then you know you need to look for two new goalies next year. If both play well, then they both play well.

If for some reason a player becomes available that is worth the cap investment, then I'd be ok with buying him out this summer. If they do it just to do it like the article is suggesting, I just think its a mistake.
frank seravelli is a moron in a long line of morons who are assigned the flyers. ( i miss the les bowen days). He can pretend like he's got inside info but he's schtoopid. they aint buying out bryz this summer cause? there aint noone to sign that his money is keeping us from getting, and we need goalies more than ever on this crappy team. we must have some hardcore experienced fans on here if there's guys that think mason having 3 good games is worth giving him the job. he looked good but he needs to be eased in. be patient. bryz's contract will be gone next summer but in the meantime he will only help us being here. this year was not on him or the coach, the easiest two targets to blame. we'll get rid of briere and pry one of st. louis's defenseman away and hope meszaros, grossmann and coburn rejoin the team (either mentally or physically) bryzgalov's pretty honest. i think he made it clear who he really has problems with and its not his team. its little chubby reporters with gray hair who were mentored by even worse reporters with lazy eyes.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:14 AM
BlueRoyal14

Question from an outsider:

Any word on if the Flyers plan to sign Joacim Eriksson?

BlueRoyal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:30 AM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
A few people have made comments that he only had half a good season. All he needed was proper coaching and playing management, and a decent backup.
That's not downplaying it. That's stating fact.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:39 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRoyal14 View Post
Question from an outsider:

Any word on if the Flyers plan to sign Joacim Eriksson?
there was a story a little while ago that there was several teams who are interested in signing him and getting him to NA. I havent heard anything from our wonderfull beat writers if the Flyers are one of those teams. I would hope at the very least they are going to try and sign him. You can never have enough goaltending in your system. Something the Flyers have yet to figure out.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:07 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Anyone else see the Bryzgalov "ghetto" comments?

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:05 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
there was a story a little while ago that there was several teams who are interested in signing him and getting him to NA. I havent heard anything from our wonderfull beat writers if the Flyers are one of those teams. I would hope at the very least they are going to try and sign him. You can never have enough goaltending in your system. Something the Flyers have yet to figure out.
Unless Bryz is actually bought out this offseason, Eriksson won't be signed.

It has been reported by many different sources that Eriksson is looking for a guaranteed NHL roster spot more or less and nothing else. With Bryz and Mason under contract, there is little hope he and his agent would favor playing for the crappy Phantoms over any other NHL, KHL or SEL team applying for his services. Almost every more competitive AHL team out there would be a better choice from the player's point of view.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:33 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
Yea. I was just reading that interview, but it was via Google Translate. I think we'll need CSKA1974 to work his magic....because that interview has some gems.

This is the Russian link:

http://whc.championat.com/hockey/_wh...-ljudjakh.html

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:41 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
I mean I don't disagree with him, there are some horrible areas in Philly. I just read the article and nothing really stood out to me or did I find anything offensive. Also, I don't care what Bryz thinks about the city lol. He could think it's a barren wasteland filled with scum for all I care.

05-15-2013, 11:46 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Yea. I was just reading that interview, but it was via Google Translate. I think we'll need CSKA1974 to work his magic....because that interview has some gems.

This is the Russian link:

http://whc.championat.com/hockey/_wh...-ljudjakh.html
I am working on it. Hoping to complete it tonight.

Last edited by CSKA1974: 05-15-2013 at 11:52 AM.
CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:51 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
To be fair, that was a question from a reporter, he never used that word.

Also, there is no direct translation- so that is not a direct meaning for the purpose of the interview.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:29 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Flyers netminder Ilya Bryzgalov got the start for Russia against Team USA. He was adequate in that game -- neither stellar nor awful -- but outplayed U.S. counterpart Bishop. Bryzgalov allowed one questionable goal among the three he yielded, while two of the five that got past Bishop looked stoppable.

The Russians have rotated three goalies throughout the tourney, with Bryzgalov getting three starts (a 14-save shutout of Belarus, the 5-3 win over the U.S. and a 3-1 win over Slovakia). Overall, his goals against average is 1.33 and save percentage is .934 in his three outings.

Even so, there seems to be less media and fan focus on his overall solid play than on a couple of goals he allowed. There is no mention of the fact that he has outplayed Semyon Varlamov (2-1-0, 2.68 GAA, .908 save percentage) and KHL goaltender Vasili Koshechkin, who was in net for the Russians stunning loss to France. Instead, most of the talk has been about him looking bad on a Branko Radivojevic breakaway goal and "ducking away" from a deflected U.S. goal (that was not the questionable goal I was referring to) that started out about knee-high and ended up around chin-high when it jumped off a stick.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...views/45/51572

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
???

nope...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:04 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
So what are you saying here? People are getting on him about a questionable goal instead of his good play? That to me is stupid. Dude can't win.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:14 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
So what are you saying here? People are getting on him about a questionable goal instead of his good play? That to me is stupid. Dude can't win.
I didn't say anything..just found it funny he's getting busted on for ducking on a goal like he atrociously did here. It's true he can't win.....but hey it's going to be like that with him so he'll have to continue to prove himself I guess... fairly or unfairly.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:28 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I didn't say anything..just found it funny he's getting busted on for ducking on a goal like he atrociously did here. It's true he can't win.....but hey it's going to be like that with him so he'll have to continue to prove himself I guess... fairly or unfairly.
Yeah I know, it is just annoying that people are pretty unfair to him. Sorry I wasn't coming at you lol I'm having a bad day.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:39 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post

It has been reported by many different sources that Eriksson is looking for a guaranteed NHL roster spot more or less and nothing else. With Bryz and Mason under contract, there is little hope he and his agent would favor playing for the crappy Phantoms over any other NHL, KHL or SEL team applying for his services. Almost every more competitive AHL team out there would be a better choice from the player's point of view.
well regardless if Bryz is bought out or not good luck to him if he wants a guaranteed NHL roster spot.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 02:27 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

Good luck finding a team that will offer him that.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 03:03 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Good luck finding a team that will offer him that.
Yeah, seriously. If that is the attitude of a kid who has never stepped foot on NHL ice, screw him.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:21 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Yeah, seriously. If that is the attitude of a kid who has never stepped foot on NHL ice, screw him.
I'm sure there's people here crazy enough to think we should offer him it but to me those couple of years in the SEL mean jack **** when entering the NHL. He's 22/23, he should earn his job just like any other goaltender at that age breaking into the league.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:15 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

i have only heard this from people on here and while it's not impossible, i'll believe it when i read it or hear it from a credible source. no offense.

you said "many different sources", could you provide a recent one by any chance? i'm not saying i don't believe you just that i've been following him for a while and i've only read this stuff on forums (such as hfboards) and it was all baseless speculation.

edit: anyway because of his age and current situation i'm pretty sure his elc will have to be a 2-way so there is no guarantee, unless i'm missing something. Fasth was 30 when he signed his contract that's why he got a 1-way deal

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 05-15-2013 at 04:26 PM.
FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm sure there's people here crazy enough to think we should offer him it but to me those couple of years in the SEL mean jack **** when entering the NHL. He's 22/23, he should earn his job just like any other goaltender at that age breaking into the league.
He has earned it.

Last edited by Ryker: 05-15-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
He has earned it.
I'm talking about a guaranteed roster spot in the NHL for next year. He hasn't earned that yet.

He's earned an opportunity to earn it through training camps this summer if he plays well.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-15-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old
05-15-2013, 06:08 PM
CSKA1974

Bryz's Interview

As promised:
I will be happy to discuss Russian history and let you know my opinion on Bryz's answers about it.

Bryzgalov: “I would have interviewed Stalin and Einstein”
By Maria Rogovskaya

Q: Russian fans realized that you are not angry man. Did they start asking you for autographs?

A: It was just a joke. They have always asked. The fans do not trouble us. It’s very nice of them to come over to cheer for us.

Q: Everyone knows about your relationships with Philadelphia media. How do Philadelphia fans treat you?

A: Everything is normal. Philadelphia fans are just. They will chant your name if you are playing well, they will also let you know if you are not. I am not even going to try to reestablish contacts with Philly media; I was not the one who broke them.

Q: Have you ever thought of suing the reporters for libel for saying that you slept at the meeting?

A: Why? These are work moments. Actually, I am indifferent to their writing. Let them bark.

Q: You had said that Philadelphia is a sport city. And that media has put excessive pressure on the teams. Is it just on Flyers or the other teams have suffered as well.

A: All of them. And the only explanation is-“it’s Philadelphia”.

Q: Is everything in sport measured by winning a title? Marcel Dionne had never won a Stanley Cup; Gretsky had never won Olympic games…

A: No, of course, not. But every athlete sets a goal to win. One can score tremendous amount of goals and make the same amount of assists, but has not had a chance to win a Stanley Cup. Then, one is just out of luck. But it does not mean that one has had a bad career.

Q: What else would you like to win?

A: Olympic Games. I do not have a gold medal.

Q: “Flyers” have been called Broad Street Bullies. Does the club associate itself with the name?

A: It’s all left in the last century. We do not look like bullies now. We can fight, but not more than other teams. It used to be that the Flyers would beat the teams that can play better than them up, and then would start scoring (smiles).

Q: Who is the most interesting to talk to on the Flyers team?

A: I am closest to Sweeds by mentality. Jake Voracek is an excellent guy, also Zack Rinaldo and Wayne Simmonds.

Q: Simmonds is contending with Malkin to be on the cover of NHL- 14. Who will you support a team mate or a lands mate?

A: May I not answer this question?

Q: Did you vote for Claude Giroux last year?

A: I voted for Malkin then.

Q: Have you heard that Sergei Bobrovsky is a Vezina Trophy nominee? Have you spoken with him after he had been traded?

A: Yes, we speak at times. Have not congratulated him yet, have not had an opportunity to call from here.

Q: Have you followed other NHL goal tenders? Who is new? Who plays well? Who is not?

A: No, not really. I do not watch hockey that often. I am happy for Nabokov, we have played against each other 5 times this year. He really helped his team to reach play-offs.

Q: Flyers do not have a mascot. Who would suit this role?

A: I have an idea, but I will not tell. American journalists will translate. Nothing bad, I just not going to tell.

Q: I read that you had refused to paint fighter jets on your mask when you had joined the Flyers because it was too militaristic. Why did you go with the “Star Wars” team this year?

A: I had no ideas in mind when I urgently needed a back up mask. I did not have time to think the painting through. The painter had offered me Star Wars theme and I liked it. I like the movie.

Q: Who is your favorite character?

A: Obi-Wan and Yoda. He is very wise and has a lot of strength.

Q: Which episodes did you like the most?

A: The newest 3. By the way, Lucas-film had learned about my mask and sent me a collection item- jedi’s laser sword.

Q: What color is laser?

A: Green of course.

Q: since we are talking movies, do you have any plans to see “Legend 17”? (Russian movie about Kharlamov)

A: Of course, I have not had a chance yet. I have not been to Russia yet.

Q: What is the main lesson from your 3 months stint in the KHL?

A: I was very happy with everything: I liked the organization, excellent team; I have met a lot of nice people. Everything was nice. Unforgettable times! I had only had one problem- my family was far away.

Q: Why did not they come?

A: Because of school. Nobody knew how long the lockout would last. So we had decided for them to stay in America. They would come over, or I would visit them as able. And yet, it’s very difficult not to see your family daily. I would like to thank CSKA and Sergey Fedorov one more time for giving me an opportunity to play.

Q: Is it much easier to be “under radar” of attention in Moscow than overseas? CSKA games could have been ignored in Moscow; however the Flyers games are always big events in the city.

A: Yes. Nobody cares in Moscow, but it’s very difficult to walk the street of Philadelphia unnoticed.

Q: Can Russian coaches work in the NHL?

A: Perhaps someone could. But it would have been incredibly difficult due to language barrier. There is a shortage in great specialists in the NHL as well. They do not grow on trees.

Q: If we take a break from sports. Is it interesting to live in Philadelphia?

A: I am busy with games and practices. I spend all my free time with wife and children. Lera has constant figure skating practices, ballet. Vladik plays hockey. I help him, I skate with him. That’s how I spend days off.

Q: How old are your children?

A: the daughter turns 9 in May, the son will be 7.

Q: Malkin said that his parents had had much harder than him. They had to get up very early to get him to the rink.

A: My mother was a seamstress and my father was an electrician. It was not easy for them. My wife gets up at 6 to get Lera to her skating practice. I get up at 7 to get my son to school by 8.

Q: Is your family still in the USA?

A: Yes. The children have school till June 10th. But we talk daily.

Q: Does your son play goalie as well? How do you help him?

A: Yes he does. I shoot a puck, show him some drills, and explain some tricks of the trade.

Q: Can you help your daughter?

A: I am not that good at figure skating; therefore I am not meddling there. Only if I see flaws in her push off or speed. Lera has 2 excellent coaches. Yulya teaches her jumps and Eugene Platov works on her skating.

Q: Did you bring your children to a rink, or did they select their own sports?

A: It was their choice. We wanted them to play sports, but they made their own choices. Lera does also play a violin, Vladik learns guitar. If they decide to become professional athletes I will support their choices. More important, that they enjoy what they do.

Q: a lot of children that have grown overseas forget Russian language.

A: That is not the case here. Even though, they attend English school, they maintain perfect Russian. They are Russian to the bone.

Q: If someone is visiting Philadelphia for the first time what would you advise them to see, where to go? Do you have a favorite place in the city?

A: I live in New Jersey and come to Philadelphia for games and practices only. I had lived in Philadelphia for a month and a half before we bought a house. I do not like cities like that. I do not like New York either. Big, noisy city with dreary alleys. Philadelphia is the same.
Boston, Vancouver, Dallas are quite different. They are newer, cleaner- I like them. I do not like old things. I like history, but not in everything. For example, we were driving around New Jersey looking for a house. We would go into the house and a realtor would say: “Wow, this house is 87 years old! It has such a history!” What history? Someone lived and died here. What else? It smells mildew and old staff. Americans do like it, I prefer something newer.

Q: But there are some interesting places in Philadelphia, are not there?

A: I have visited main attractions such as Mint, Betsy Ross house, Liberty Bell. I have visited “Titanic” exhibition. There are few more museums, but I do not recall them.
Q: Is not New York a modern city?

A: We have skyscrapers in Philadelphia as well. One can realize that everything is nice on the surface in New York city- shops etc. But if you turn into a small street you will see dirt and decay.

Q: Is that why you like California?

A: California- is an ideal state for me. I adore it, it is wonderful. Everything is new there, it’s always sunny there. Nice climate, not as humid as in Florida. I like West coast more in general. For example, Vancouver does not have as much sun, but it is very green.

Q: Can you swim in the ocean there?

A: No, it is cold event in summer.

Q: Did you try surfing?

A: I tried it once. I flipped over and that was it.

Q: Did you like Philadelphia favorite cheesestake?

A: Yes, I did. It’s delicious. I do not want to say that I do not like anything in Philadelphia. There are some good things. And it is true for New York as well.

Q: You said you liked history. What kind of history do you like?

A: For example, I like to read books about crusaders or Roman Empire. How it was built, how it fell apart. I visited Italy, France, Great Britain, I saw historical places. I visited Coliseum and ruins of Pompey. It was really interesting.

But, here is an old building. Why should it be interesting to me?
One may think that had he lived at the shore he would have gone swimming daily. But people that live there only swim once or twice a year. It’s nothing special for them.

Q: Or like a person that likes sweets goes to work on chocolate factory, and hates chocolate afterwards.

A: Exactly. There are good museums in Philadelphia, but one visit is enough.

Q: If you enjoy history, could you imagine living in different time?

A: Of course. I believe in reincarnation. I think I had lived in different era.

Q: Do you believe in soul transformation from one living being to another?

A: like if you lived badly you would become a roach? (Smiles). May be it’s somewhat true.

Q: But Christianity does not accept this

A: I believe in God. But there is a difference between God and church for me.

Q: what time would you like to live in? What event would you like to witness?

A: All of them. Every century has had something incredible. I realize that it was fearsome and horrible at times, such as bloody mess in our country…

Q: 1917?

A: And subsequent events. I would have liked to be a witness to that. It’s a clash between 2 classes, 2 philosophies. There were no rights or wrongs in that battle. One s were fighting for their rights, others fought back: “why would you want to take away something that our ancestors and we have earned”.

Q: Which side would you have picked?

A: There were Russian people on both sides. One can’t choose just one side. We now do not even know who was right and who was wrong. I am, in general, against oppression. But that was interesting time. One can find something like that in every century.

Q: In all of these events new ideas clashed with old regimes. Would you consider yourself a conservative?

A: I believe in progress, for example, technological. I always welcome new things.
If someone has worked hard earning money by his skills and talent, but someone other, that has not done anything, would like to take it away; I consider asking:”On what basis?”
Of course, I will take the side of the person that has worked. At the same very time when some has worked very hard, other people have done nothing but receive money from the state. When there were too many of them, someone smart lead them. What was the result? They took away private properties and everything turned to the worse. We have gone through that before.

Q: Is communism a utopia?

A: Is capitalism more realistic? Look at the real face of the USA and Europe. The Russian TV shows nice pictures, like everything is well there. But that’s not true. New York, Miami others are fancy and fashionable cities, but if one travels a little bit aside…

Q: Ghetto?

A: There is plenty of it. It’s not a small part of a city. Many people do not work, live on welfare and foodstamps. They simply do not want to work. Their philosophy: “Why should I work, if I can live that way? Let them raise taxes for rich that work. I will receive my benefits. I will get it here for a year, then move to a different city and get it there. Why should I break my back? There will be a new candidate with campaign promises. There are many of us, we will vote for him and he will raise taxes for rich”. This is not even my opinion; I’ve heard it from many Americans that I've talked to.

Q: Are people scared to go into a ghetto and try to avoid it?

A: Of course, it’s better to get around it. I drove through once, and I thought how to get out of there faster.

The following was translated by Dmitry Chesnokov (http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rka8bg):
All journalists try to interview you. And is there a person who you would like to talk to?

“A lot of them are not alive anymore… I would love to talk to Genghis Khan, Stalin, Einstein.”

Stalin is a very controversial figure. How do you feel about him?

“Positive. I see logic in his action. Not without going too far, of course. But he came to power in a country that had just lived through a revolution. There were so many spies, enemies, traitors there. A lot of people still had guns after the civil war. The country was in ruins, [people] needed to survive somehow. The country needed to be rebuilt, and in order to do that it needed to be held in iron hands. Then WWII began. A lot of people came back from that war with guns as well. There was devastation all around, the country had to be rebuilt, had to be able to defend itself. There were so many criminals.”

Stalin took Russia in with a wooden plow and left it with nuclear weapons.

“Yes, he knew what he was doing. He is described as a ‘bloody tyrant.’ But at the time it couldn’t be any other way. Yes, there were innocent people who were victims of repressions… But it happens. Not long ago in the US a person was released from prison, who spent 45 years there. It turned out he was innocent. Can you imagine, a person spent his entire life in jail for something he didn’t do.

Back to me:
Q:What would you ask Einstein about?
A: About IT..
Q: The Universe?
A: Yes. He was very interested men. He had a lot of ideas and theories.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Thanks for the translation!

I hope nobody is getting up in arms about the ghetto comments, but let's be honest...the Philly media has painted a target on him, so there is nothing he can say that they won't twist into something villainous.

05-15-2013, 06:33 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Well it's already started. Now Bryz hates Philadelphia and poor people on welfare according to the politically correct crowd.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-15-2013 at 07:07 PM.