HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XL

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 02:28 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Which is straight BS as he didn't break a single rule.

Hitting hard isn't a penalty.

Stoll skating around like a little nancy....man up in the middle of the ice bud.
that's not how the NHL works, the responsibility is on the hitter

Old
05-15-2013, 02:43 PM
crazycanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
Trade Schneider and a 1st for Couturier and Coburn.

Trade Edler + Schroeder for Yandle and Chipchura.

Sign Raffi Torres.

Buyout Booth

Buyout Ballard

Sign Ribiero.

Let Lapierre walk.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Kassian - Ribiero - Kesler
Higgins - Couturier - Hansen
Torres - Chipchura - Wiese

Hamhuis - Garrison
Coburn - Bieksa
Yandle - Tanev

Luongo
Lack

No idea if this fits capwise, probably not.
Philly won't do that, they need to improve defense, they aren't going to trade away one of their better defensemen.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Philly won't do that, they need to improve defense, they aren't going to trade away one of their better defensemen.
Plus, now exactly does that proposel make the Canuck's top minute players harder to play against?

Don't be surprised if the Canucks use their buy-outs on the Sedins.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Absolutely. There is absolutely no way they have any trade value and we'd be much better off with Ballard/Booth in our lineup than the Sedins.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Absolutely. There is absolutely no way they have any trade value and we'd be much better off with Ballard/Booth in our lineup than the Sedins.
Okay, I get your sarcasm, but if the Canucks are really going to make change to the direction of the team moving the Sedins would make the biggest change for sure. And would the twins accept a trade? I don't think so. Thus, a buyout would be the only other option.

The Canucks just tinkering around with the non-core players has not, and will not, make any difference to results. Or, do we continue with the Sedins as center pieces for another season?

Old
05-15-2013, 03:16 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Plus, now exactly does that proposel make the Canuck's top minute players harder to play against?

ya, that's not going to happen

Old
05-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Okay, I get your sarcasm, but if the Canucks are really going to make change to the direction of the team moving the Sedins would make the biggest change for sure. And would the twins accept a trade? I don't think so. Thus, a buyout would be the only other option.

The Canucks just tinkering around with the non-core players has not, and will not, make any difference to results. Or, do we continue with the Sedins as center pieces for another season?
And the only difference buying out the Sedins will make is transforming this organization into a laughing stock of the NHL and a bottom dweller for years to come.

You consistently throw out these 'brilliant ideas' that really just don't sound brilliant to anyone but yourself.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
And the only difference buying out the Sedins will make is transforming this organization into a laughing stock of the NHL and a bottom dweller for years to come.

You consistently throw out these 'brilliant ideas' that really just don't sound brilliant to anyone but yourself.
What then, should MG do to change the direction of the Canucks? Are the Sedins (if they waved their NTCs) tradeable? They take 12 million in cap space. How else does MG change the core of this team, if not moving the Twins? I am very curious to see what you have to suggest.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
What then, should MG do to change the direction of the Canucks? Are the Sedins (if they waved their NTCs) tradeable? They take 12 million in cap space. How else does MG change the core of this team, if not moving the Twins? I am very curious to see what you have to suggest.
You don't change the core for the sake of changing it. You change it to make the team better. Buying out the Sedins wastes the team's money and makes them worse, not to mention the long-term reputation impact such a move would have.

When you think outside the box, it's important not to forget the box altogether.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
The Canucks just tinkering around with the non-core players has not, and will not, make any difference to results
*Major* tinkering around could always happen on the blueline - which cost us goals as much as our forwards couldn't score any goals.

I'll take that as a noticeable improvement.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:44 PM
tantalum

Quote:
In order to believe that you also need to believe that a team only needs 4 forwards to score goals in the playoffs. Because that is exactly what has happened. 17 goals in ~150 playoff games from the non-core players. That's pathetic and the reason the team struggles to score. Not the goal a game (as expected) the Sedin line put up.

For example...against the Kings last year Henrik scored 25% of the teams goals and was in on 62.5% of the goals. He was over a point per game for the series yet to hear people talk the last week he made no contribution. He was the ONLY contribution last year. This season that line scored 25% of the goal for the canucks and Henrik was in on 37.5% of the goals scored. It was a drop and not good enough I think everyone understands that but this talk of "disappearing" Sedins needs to stop. Unless of course you apply the same standard to all other players in the league which they don't. Because if they did they would notice that every player has good and bad playoff series. Every player. Sometimes things don't happen. You don't match up well or whatever.

Last edited by tantalum: 05-15-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old
05-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
We may as well become Edmonton or Toronto fans then. Save us the time of waiting half a decade or more whilst being the league's joke.

You do not more out pieces like the Sedins. The instance it happened was Richards and Carter, which manifested only because Philly had a plethora of youth that could take the reins and got back excellent returns. We do not have such a luxury and will "change the core" by bringing in some free agents or making a trade or two, not by selling off our best players for table scraps.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Man, Stalberg would be a fantastic buy-low option on the UFA market this summer. Hope Gillis goes after him hard.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Bieksa + Roy's UFA rights for Phaneuf.

Defensemen always play better in contract years, right?

Anyways, I would definitely think about it.

Hamhuis-Phaneuf
Edler-Garrison

as a top-4 is sick.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:31 PM
thom

I think he would be a good fit but one question I would ask if Quinville Chicago coach does not want him is he a bad character or what is his off ice issues?

Old
05-15-2013, 04:32 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Man, Stalberg would be a fantastic buy-low option on the UFA market this summer. Hope Gillis goes after him hard.
Stalberg and Bickell are both better than anyone on the canucks 4th line and in the playoffs better than Raymond is and how Hansen has been the past two years.

Both would be good fairly "cheap" signings and both 27 years old. But I have a sneaking suspicion they won't be making it free agency.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:39 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

I don't see buying out the Sedins as an intelligent option at all. They're still productive players who are useful. Buyouts should only be used on useless players (like Ballard and Booth).

Having said that, I would explore trading the Sedins and trying to get a top 3 draft pick or an A+ prospect. As has been explained to you in the past, it's also possible for the Canucks to hold back some of their salary in a trade, so teams wouldn't necessarily need $12.2M in space to take them on.

05-15-2013, 04:43 PM
BrandonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Gillis already greased those skids though.

Devloping young players at the NHL level was the quote, Schroeder is a young player ready for an opportunity. Same as Corrado, Kassian, and maybe some of the grindy prospects like Lain and Archibald.

Not sure how he has limited offensive ability either.
What exactly has Jordan Schroeder done to earn a guaranteed spot in the top six entering next season?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing, besides being a first round pick.

If you want to just arbitrarily reward players depending on where they were drafted, I don't even know what to say. I guess we have drastically different opinions on how you build an organization.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonlee View Post
What exactly has Jordan Schroeder done to earn a guaranteed spot in the top six?

If you want to just arbitrarily reward players depending on where they were drafted, I don't even know what to say. I guess we have drastically different opinions on how you build an organization.
A lot of people have Kassian in the top 6 too. The difference there is, those people expect this team will be a contender while those of us who are OK with Schroeder in the top 6 recognize we need to rebuild our team.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonlee View Post
What exactly has Jordan Schroeder done to earn a guaranteed spot in the top six entering next season?

Who's putting Schroeder in the top-6? The 3rd line C is the perfect place for him to develop while still contributing to our roster.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Bieksa + Roy's UFA rights for Phaneuf.

Defensemen always play better in contract years, right?

Anyways, I would definitely think about it.

Hamhuis-Phaneuf
Edler-Garrison

as a top-4 is sick.
I don't think the Leafs do that.

I think we have to add a prospect/pick to get the deal done.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
05-15-2013, 05:04 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
I hope we go after him too but why is he "buy-low"? He scored right around his usual pace this year (this year = 0.49PPG; year before = 0.54PPG; career = 0.43PPG ...pretty close)

Old
05-15-2013, 05:04 PM
thepuckmonster
HFBoards: Night's Watch

**** no to Phaneuf on all levels.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:06 PM
tantalum

Arguably Gillis has also greased the skids to Schroeder leaving in a deal given his recent focus on getting bigger.

It all depends on one thing in Gillis'....how confident are they that Schroeder can contribute if he has some size on the wings.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:10 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Arguably Gillis has also greased the skids to Schroeder leaving in a deal given his recent focus on getting bigger.

It all depends on one thing in Gillis'....how confident are they that Schroeder can contribute if he has some size on the wings.
I could see Schroeder and Booth getting along nicely. Can keep up with each other, would give Booth a setup guy, they both love America and probably know several hundred words each.

Closed Thread