HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Quarter-final Pre-Game Talk (RUS-USA; SUI-CZE; FIN-SVK; CAN-SWE)

View Poll Results: Who wins the Chamionship?
CAN 52 36.36%
CZE 12 8.39%
FIN 17 11.89%
RUS 20 13.99%
SVK 3 2.10%
SWE 7 4.90%
SUI 19 13.29%
USA 13 9.09%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-15-2013, 05:57 AM
octopi

vCash: 500
For some odd reason, I'd thought there was a bye in this tournament. Guess not?

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:20 AM
Gaps

I think all pairings could go either way.

Can the Swiss take the next step? So far they haven't been able to do so, and maybe this year isn't their time either. At the same time the Czechs have finally realized there's a tournament going on and they've got a culture of being in the top 4, unlike the Swiss. Anything's possible, but if I had to make a guess, I'd say the Czechs take it.

Sweden's been terribad until now. The Sedins may help out, but I'm not convinced it's enough when you've got a much stronger Canada on the other side and they're not kidding. Giving the edge to Canada.

The Russians have no team discipline, but at the same time the Americans haven't been convincing either. Ovie showing up at this point won't help Russia get their **** together. Toss-up.

The Slovaks have gotten their act together as of late, but I'd still give Finland a small edge here.

Last edited by stv11: 05-15-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:27 AM
Chimp

There is a snowball's chance in hell Sweden beats Canada. Not with those rosters. The shortened season helped getting those big names immensely. I think it's pretty clear Canada is the big favourite, the only thing stopping them is the fact everything is decided in one game at a time.

So what does Sweden's coach do? He leaves too few spots open and a bunch of Swedish NHL'ers are looking outside the squad, while a bunch of mediocre SEL players make a fool out of themselves. Quite a spectacular way to fail in a home tournament. Guys like Bäckström and Steen could've made a big difference.

And yes, this non-cross format is pathetic. Quite the way to seal this fiasco of a tournament. Sweden and Finland shouldn't be allowed to host this tournament for another decade at least.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Daninja

See you in the semis, Russia! Uh sorry, I meant see you in the finals, Suomi!

Daninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:19 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

If Switerzerland, Sweden, Slovakia and USA win, I will walk from Sweden to Russia.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:22 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
There is a snowball's chance in hell Sweden beats Canada. Not with those rosters. The shortened season helped getting those big names immensely. I think it's pretty clear Canada is the big favourite, the only thing stopping them is the fact everything is decided in one game at a time.

So what does Sweden's coach do? He leaves too few spots open and a bunch of Swedish NHL'ers are looking outside the squad, while a bunch of mediocre SEL players make a fool out of themselves. Quite a spectacular way to fail in a home tournament. Guys like Bäckström and Steen could've made a big difference.

And yes, this non-cross format is pathetic. Quite the way to seal this fiasco of a tournament. Sweden and Finland shouldn't be allowed to host this tournament for another decade at least.
Our team has been far from impressive, just as they have been every WHC since 2010. Sweden has a good chance to win tomorrow, so don't be surprised if they do.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:27 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

Russia. Obviously I'd love Canada to win but given their incosistent play thus far these championships I doubt that happens.

05-15-2013, 08:29 AM
ufon68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyeu View Post
If anyone is counting Switzerland out of semi-final contention, they clearly have no idea what year it is.

The team didn't lose a single game!

Sweden, Czech, Canada, Belarus all defeated, most points in the tournament at 20, Canada at 18, Finland at 16. Keep underestimating them! I'm sure they'll love it.

This team use to be a minnow, and they aren't even at full power themselves, so before you go around thinking that your team isn't at full power. Think again.
Just because someone doesn't project the Swiss to make the SF doesn't mean they underestimate them or think they are a bad team, i think everyone is pretty impressed by what they did so far.

At the same time, you can't extrapolate robin rounds' results beyond robin rounds, if you think the Swiss have turned into Gold medal favorites all of a sudden, you might be in for a shock.

ufon68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:32 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
After losing 4-1 to Slovakia, I don't think the U.S. had much of a chance anyway.
Are you confusing Slovakia and Slovenia or something? I don't give the U.S. much of a chance either, but the loss to Slovakia has nothing to do with it. They got silver last year for a reason - they're good.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Our team has been far from impressive, just as they have been every WHC since 2010. Sweden has a good chance to win tomorrow, so don't be surprised if they do.
Perhaps you have, but when has Canada ever been good in the group play? If you've been far from impressive, Sweden has been downright disappointing. At least we'll have one line for you to worry about.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

With Gibson in net I think the U.S. has a decent chance of beating Russia. It's generally pretty difficult for one of the major countries to beat another twice in the same tournament so we have that going for us!

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:56 AM
CDeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
With Gibson in net I think the U.S. has a decent chance of beating Russia. It's generally pretty difficult for one of the major countries to beat another twice in the same tournament so we have that going for us!
I agree. It is only one game. It goes with out saying that the Gibson (I'm assuming he starts) and the defense need to play their best. If they block a lot of shots and minimze turnovers then the US stands a good change. I will get up early and watch most of it before I have to go to work.

CDeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Juppy61

Quote:
Perhaps you have, but when has Canada ever been good in the group play? If you've been far from impressive, Sweden has been downright disappointing. At least we'll have one line for you to worry about.
The game against Sweden worries me. They haven't played great to this point but they always seem to get up for the games that count. The thing I like (and fear) about Sweden is that they are all good team players so even when their best players aren't available they always seem to be able to pull it out because of their team first game. Canada has to match that in order to win. On paper we look good but...

Juppy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeeps View Post
I agree. It is only one game. It goes with out saying that the Gibson (I'm assuming he starts) and the defense need to play their best. If they block a lot of shots and minimze turnovers then the US stands a good change. I will get up early and watch most of it before I have to go to work.
Well, the reality is Bishop let in two softies yesterday in the 1st that killed any U.S. momentum. Add in some undisciplined play and it wasn't going to be a pretty day. Start Gibson, man the gaps, don't get bogged down in the offensibve zone and STAY disciplined!

Old
05-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juppy61 View Post
The game against Sweden worries me. They haven't played great to this point but they always seem to get up for the games that count. The thing I like (and fear) about Sweden is that they are all good team players so even when their best players aren't available they always seem to be able to pull it out because of their team first game. Canada has to match that in order to win. On paper we look good but...
All of the QF matchups are a crapshoot. I guess in that sense it's exciting and what the IIHF wants....

Old
05-15-2013, 12:41 PM
toewsintangibles

Russia will crush the US

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:48 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Russia will crush the US
That's what we thought in 2010 finals against stacked Russia (Kovy, Malkin, Ovechkin, Fedorov, Semin, Gonchar, Datsyuk etc.). Anything can happen.

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:28 PM
roto

Quote:
Names on your back don't help much because you don't win games by old stats. Swiss have played well with their euro team, Finland has played also well (with only one NHLer), Russia was beaten by France and NHL stars of Team Canada had difficulties with team from country with 7 indoor arenas and few hundred registered players. I think it's 50-50 for CAN-SWE.

roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:34 PM
ikke

Usa, cze, fin, swe

ikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Finnsane
Feed the population

Favourite for World Champion:

Canada
Russia

Finland/Sweden/USA
Czech/Switzerland

Slovakia

Finnsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 02:42 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I don't think it will make a difference.

After losing 4-1 to Slovakia, I don't think the U.S. had much of a chance anyway.
I would worry about your own tough matchup there instead of always trolling in on anything USA related...

inferiority complex eh???

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Mehar

I go with Russia beating the US, Czechs beating the Swiss, Finland beating Slovakia, and Canada edging out Sweden in a close game.

Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Mestaruus

All of the QF games are very interesting in my opinion and like it was said before, no byes this year. Well maybe the closest thing to a bye here is Canada beating Sweden, but anything can happen here if Sweden finally gets their act together and it's very easy to be motivated as the underdogs like Slovakia will be against Finland. Sick matches. Can't wait.

Regardless of the format change to no cross over matches in the QFs I think this has been one of the best WC's ever. So many upsets and smaller nations have really stepped it up.

Only Canada can make this boring and sort of ruin the finale for me by winning the gold as they are so huge favourites with that roster .

Impossible to predict them all, but gonna go with:
Finland
Russia
Canada
Switzerland

Mestaruus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 04:49 PM
Reds4Life

I would bet on USA beating the Russians, Czechs beating the Swiss, Finland beating Slovakia, and Canada beating Sweden.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 04:51 PM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
I go with Russia beating the US, Czechs beating the Swiss, Finland beating Slovakia, and Canada edging out Sweden in a close game.
Common choice. There are almost always some unexpected results.

I bet, one of Slovakia/Switzerland will play SF.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote