HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Semifinal: (1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators PT II

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 03:17 PM
BeerMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
I never put too much stock into the first game. It's a lot of figuring things out, feeling the other team out, etc. Great to win it, but it generally doesn't set a tone for the series.
Define generally.

NHL teams who win the first game of a seven game series win the series 68.4% of the time. Teams who win the first game of the series at home win the series 75.9% of the time.

It's not a sure thing of course but let's not pretend the first game doesn't mean anything. That is objectively inaccurate.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Dagwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
A lot of the same posters have been here for all 4 series. There was plenty of trash talking back in 2007 and 2008...after that many series i don't see the point in rah rah pissing matches with arguments and insults both sides have heard a million times. It's more interesting to break down the series from a hockey standpoint.
Agreed, at least for me.

I recall back in 2007 that when the Sens won that series, the Penguins were a fairly mixed team of young and old, Crosby just coming into the league and the feeling for Pens fans was comparable to where Ottawa is now. There will be a good majority of fans who will be experiencing the playoffs based on a few recent years of play and the rest who have been through the troll wars way too often. In that first series I recall telling Pens fans your time would come and the Pens would be a force to reckon with for some time. The cap system dictates change and I would have to think that cycle could occur every 5 - 6 years as teams face cap pressure and players what to get max $$ as they mature. The Sens are in that low end of the cycle on their way up... I hope.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe View Post
Define generally.

NHL teams who win the first game of a seven game series win the series 68.4% of the time. Teams who win the first game of the series at home win the series 75.9% of the time.

It's not a sure thing of course but let's not pretend the first game doesn't mean anything. That is objectively inaccurate.
Well, I definitely didn't say game one doesn't mean anything.

I said it doesn't usually set the tone for how teams will play.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:25 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
A lot of the same posters have been here for all 4 series. There was plenty of trash talking back in 2007 and 2008...after that many series i don't see the point in rah rah pissing matches with arguments and insults both sides have heard a million times. It's more interesting to break down the series from a hockey standpoint.
I find our series more like bad Deja Vu rather then a rivalry.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:26 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Agreed. Paul MacLean is a good coach. He'll get his guys to adjust where they can.

Pittsburgh seems to think they might have a book on Anderson as he has a 3.00 GAA and .898 SV% against Pittsburgh in 4 games this year and besides the first game they played against him back in January it's actually a 3.67 GAA and .869 SV% in the past 3 games. Small sample, yes, but pretty bad numbers for a goalie as good as Anderson.

Ottawa will no doubt be studying Vokoun.
Agreed. The small problem for the Sens, IMO, is that there are two areas that are going to be problematic pretty much regardless of what MacLean does to adjust:

1. That Pens PP is just lethal right now. Play it aggressively, play it passively . . . just lethal.

2. I don't see a guy on Ottawa who matches up against Malkin. I don't see a Couturier or a Harmonic even. This is the problem that Carolina and even Detroit (because Datsyuk was playing on, if memory serves, pretty much a broken ankle) had in 2009.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csteamer View Post
Yea..he was pissing me off with that. Three minors, all on unnecessary plays, two in the offensive zone?
He's helping you guys a lot than us doing that.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
It's really weird to me how little intensity and animosity there seems to be between two teams and their fanbases given that this is the 4th time in 7 years they've played in the playoffs...usually that scenario leads to complete insane hatred. Certain guys like Neil and Orpik try to generate some hostility and nastiness, but it just doesn't seem organic...feels contrived. Maybe it'll rachet up on Friday.
Meh. I know you guys have an elite team, it feels more like "When is the other shoe going to drop?" to me. We'll probably win one of the home games, then one in Pittsburgh (if not Friday then down the road). I picked Senators in seven but that was more optimism than reality. If Neil lays a massive hit on someone, or if Orpik or Cooke take out a key player on our team then animosity will erupt.

I don't think the Penguins want an emotion-charged series though. Just keep making surgical strikes though special teams, get the "W" and move on...

Old
05-15-2013, 03:43 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Yea..he was pissing me off with that. Three minors, all on unnecessary plays, two in the offensive zone?
there was only one of those that was actually a penalty. The other two were called to even up the game. Phantom calls at best.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:00 PM
stardog

Quote:
I do agree that his second penalty (the holding call on EK) was a nice embellishment by EK, but what was the point...why did he take his free hand off his stick and pull his arm?

And I also agree that both players are very easy to rattle. They need to learn to skate away from that stuff. Hamonic was in Malkin's head the entire previous series.
Nd yet he only had 11 points in 6 games. Damn Hamonic really kept Malkin in check.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:09 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog View Post
Nd yet he only had 11 points in 6 games. Damn Hamonic really kept Malkin in check.
he's easy to rattle, hard to contain, impossible to shut down.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Sheriff66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Agreed. Paul MacLean is a good coach. He'll get his guys to adjust where they can.

Pittsburgh seems to think they might have a book on Anderson as he has a 3.00 GAA and .898 SV% against Pittsburgh in 4 games this year and besides the first game they played against him back in January it's actually a 3.67 GAA and .869 SV% in the past 3 games. Small sample, yes, but pretty bad numbers for a goalie as good as Anderson.

Ottawa will no doubt be studying Vokoun.
Looked to me they were trying to beat Vokoun east to west, he doesn't have the lateral movement that MAF has

Old
05-15-2013, 04:55 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Agreed. The small problem for the Sens, IMO, is that there are two areas that are going to be problematic pretty much regardless of what MacLean does to adjust:

1. That Pens PP is just lethal right now. Play it aggressively, play it passively . . . just lethal.

2. I don't see a guy on Ottawa who matches up against Malkin. I don't see a Couturier or a Harmonic even. This is the problem that Carolina and even Detroit (because Datsyuk was playing on, if memory serves, pretty much a broken ankle) had in 2009.
Keeping them contained is over rated I think. They are going to get points, you just have to minimize the damage. In trying to keep them "contained" just opens up other talented players on their team.
The first game the Isles won, both Malkin and Crosby scored(2 points each)... it was the first time the Pens ever lost a playoff game when both 87/71 scored.

Game 6 when the Isles lost, we "outplayed" the hell out of the Pens... held Sid/Geno to only an assist each, and we lost in OT.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Cowen needs to step it up, Ottawa has to be better on special teams, they need better offensive execution, and they need to stick to their game plan asides from that because I thought they were the more organized team and I wouldn't be surprised to see them win this series.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Random Oracle

vCash: 50
Any news on Gryba?

Old
05-15-2013, 05:39 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
Keeping them contained is over rated I think. They are going to get points, you just have to minimize the damage. In trying to keep them "contained" just opens up other talented players on their team.
The first game the Isles won, both Malkin and Crosby scored(2 points each)... it was the first time the Pens ever lost a playoff game when both 87/71 scored.

Game 6 when the Isles lost, we "outplayed" the hell out of the Pens... held Sid/Geno to only an assist each, and we lost in OT.
And yet he still scored 11 points in 6 games. The point being whether Hamonic was "in his head" or not, it did nothing to affect his dominance in this series. Hamonic didn't stand a chance against Malkin.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Oracle View Post
Any news on Gryba?
Has not yet been ruled out for friday's game. That's pretty much all we know for now.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Random Oracle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
Has not yet been ruled out for friday's game. That's pretty much all we know for now.
Thanks.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:57 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
And yet he still scored 11 points in 6 games. The point being whether Hamonic was "in his head" or not, it did nothing to affect his dominance in this series. Hamonic didn't stand a chance against Malkin.
Are you really just looking for an argument? Why dont you read what I wrote again.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
I don't think the Penguins want an emotion-charged series though. Just keep making surgical strikes though special teams, get the "W" and move on...
I feel like the 09 and 10 Pens teams could manage that, but the 12 and 13 varieties are so undisciplined that they will be easily dragged into a brawl if even slightly provoked, thus levelling the talent disparity and giving Ottawa a serious chance. And even if they come out of it with 4 wins, they'll be battered for the next round.

Arguably the best roster we've put together in the Crosby era, but the most undisciplined since 07.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:18 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
he's easy to rattle, hard to contain, impossible to shut down.
Especially when Ottawa doesn't have a guy like Couturier or Harmonic to do it.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:24 PM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Especially when Ottawa doesn't have a guy like Couturier or Harmonic to do it.
Malkin had 8 points in 6 games last year and 11 points in 6 games the year. Couturier and Haminic failed to shut him down.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:34 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Latvian View Post
Malkin had 8 points in 6 games last year and 11 points in 6 games the year. Couturier and Haminic failed to shut him down.
It's not just about points with Malkin. He's going to score his points. BUT, when he's on, when he goes into that zone, he just all over the place. I don't know how exactly to describe it. Forget the points. Any Pens fan will tell you game one of this series was Malkin's best since 2009. And, I just don't see the guy in Ottawa who's going to throw him off his game. There's no guy up front. Maybe Methot mugs him, but that's about it.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:36 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post

1. See what I just wrote above.
2. Go re-watch how Malkin looked after he flipped the proverbial switch with about 8 minutes left in the third of that game. And, by the way, he had two assists in that game . . . the one you remember on the game tying goal and the one you've forgotten on the game winning goal, where he took away the puck and got it to Kennedy.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:05 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
1. See what I just wrote above.
2. Go re-watch how Malkin looked after he flipped the proverbial switch with about 8 minutes left in the third of that game. And, by the way, he had two assists in that game . . . the one you remember on the game tying goal and the one you've forgotten on the game winning goal, where he took away the puck and got it to Kennedy.
Good look, he was the 2nd assist on the OT goal and I missed it.

Also, about having a "shut down" man on Malkin. Over all I think Hamonic did a good job on Malkin, but its hard to get a shut down man for Malkin because he is all over the ice, especially on the PP. Basically you need an entire line to shut down Malkin.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:19 PM
madinsomniac

The way to deal with malkin in the past was to take a bunch of cheapshots at him and get him to retailiate and take him off his game like that... its not a good strategy right now because that style of play will get the Pens PP time and frankly thats not a good trade off right now. Malkin supposedly has a shoulder problem that may need surgery in the offseason. he isnt using that powerful shot as often as he used to. he is more in playmaking mode than scoring mode. I just dont really see how you can contain him or Crosby right now with the wealth of talent around them. If you sell out on them, you are leaving a lot of playmakers go elsewhere

Closed Thread