HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
05-08-2013, 12:54 PM
polysaturate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Do you mean the original Mako (high end) vs Mako M3 II (price point)? I would take the original Mako in that case.

Do you have a preference of kick point?
Yes, orignal high end, versus new price point.

I don't really take any slap shots, mostly here and there in warmups just to grease the movements a little. I'm a wrister kind of guy and snap shots when I have a little more time and room. I'm rather short 5' 7", and not terribly strong(1xBW bench, to give an idea). So I figure the int. is right up my alley flexwise.

I am coming from a 4k that is falling apart. It was cheap, and I am ready to move on to a nicer stick.

So, I am leaning towards the original Mako, but wouldn't mind hearing if you had any other suggestions.

polysaturate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:34 AM
ShootsWide

I've been working on my slap shots lately so I wanted to try out a Bauer supreme. I currently use a Nexus 400 which has served me good as my first stick. Now I kinda want to move up a little. I'm not sure whether to go with a Supreme One.6 or One.7. Or maybe trying out the CCM RBZ 60

ShootsWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:52 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Well, my birthday is coming up and I just might ask for something this year.

Maybe a nice P08/NXG 77Flex cut down 6"? What would you guys get given basically free reign on any stick, or should I wait for something to be released?

Or custom Warrior gloves? Decisions decisions...

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by polysaturate View Post
Yes, orignal high end, versus new price point.

I don't really take any slap shots, mostly here and there in warmups just to grease the movements a little. I'm a wrister kind of guy and snap shots when I have a little more time and room. I'm rather short 5' 7", and not terribly strong(1xBW bench, to give an idea). So I figure the int. is right up my alley flexwise.

I am coming from a 4k that is falling apart. It was cheap, and I am ready to move on to a nicer stick.

So, I am leaning towards the original Mako, but wouldn't mind hearing if you had any other suggestions.
Okay I'm the same height and my bench is a lot less than my bodyweight

I think you'd like the Mako.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post

Maybe a nice P08/NXG 77Flex cut down 6"? What would you guys get given basically free reign on any stick, or should I wait for something to be released?

Custom Warriors would be nice. You wouldn't worry about breaking them. But if I could get any stick it would probably be an APX in my flex and curve because I loved the X:60.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:16 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post

I'm sure you have an explanation for the 6" cut, so forgive me for asking, but, why so much? Would that eventually be your targeted flex and length?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
polysaturate

Quote:
Okay I'm the same height and my bench is a lot less than my bodyweight

I think you'd like the Mako.
Ya, I got antsy and just nabbed it. Came on Friday, and going to get it cut today(I don't have a hacksaw ). Just from playing around with it around the house with cat balls and a stick handling ball, I am liking the feel already. Thanks for your help sir!

polysaturate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:11 PM
AmartZing

I can have a lot of those stick for 140$. I got a lot of Bauer NXG and APX, Easton RS1 and 2, Bauer nexus .... PM if your interested

AmartZing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 02:58 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I'm sure you have an explanation for the 6" cut, so forgive me for asking, but, why so much? Would that eventually be your targeted flex and length?
I'm short (like 5'8") and like my sticks short I guess? I usually prefer a 54/54.5" shaft so most senior sticks have to be chopped. Intermediates (at least the Dynasty) feels too square/small but the length is near perfect.

To your second question, I like a mid/high 80s flex, so a retail 77 flex cut to 91ish flex is as close as I'll get in Bauer. I also have a 75 flex Dynasty cut to 54.5" and its almost perfect, a tad too whippy.

EDIT: I'm talking retail ^.

MyBauer or custom Warriors don't do different lengths I assume right?

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 03:39 PM
AIREAYE

Oh ok, got it, as long as you're close to your target. Hmm, have you looked into a 75 flex Reebok AI 9? They are stock 58" so you won't have to cut off too much. I find intermediate AI sticks have the largest shaft dimensions as well.

Have you looked into Nexus? Their flex profile is softer.

Check out Base custom sticks as well, I hear that they are whippier than rated.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
I've used a Sherwood Stastny curve for the last couple years and loved it... I'm guessing the Hall curve is the closest in Easton? And anyone know about Bauer's most similar curve?

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Plebeian
Play Your Game

Alright tough decision time. I officialy hate my Warrior Esquire and am moving on to a nicer stick. In the past I used to buy the top model and not really care since I could justify it by playing competitive but now that I don't I want to be a bit more price conscious so I have a budget of around $150. First off I'd like to say that if anybody knows where I can get a right handed SE16 then I'll take that one right now, it is my favorite stick. But I've broken it down to these three:

Easton Mako M5II
Vapor X:40
RBK 9K

Also, for HockeyMonkey users, do sticks on clearance usually get restocked? They have Easton EQ50 and Synergy's on for $99 dollars but they are currently out of stock and I'm confused because I would expect once they sold out they would take the ad down if they weren't getting more.

Plebeian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:09 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
I've used a Sherwood Stastny curve for the last couple years and loved it... I'm guessing the Hall curve is the closest in Easton? And anyone know about Bauer's most similar curve?
The Hall and Backstrom are remarkably similar to the Stastny, if not the same.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 05:50 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
Alright tough decision time. I officialy hate my Warrior Esquire and am moving on to a nicer stick. In the past I used to buy the top model and not really care since I could justify it by playing competitive but now that I don't I want to be a bit more price conscious so I have a budget of around $150. First off I'd like to say that if anybody knows where I can get a right handed SE16 then I'll take that one right now, it is my favorite stick. But I've broken it down to these three:

Easton Mako M5II
RBK 9K

Also, for HockeyMonkey users, do sticks on clearance usually get restocked? They have Easton EQ50 and Synergy's on for $99 dollars but they are currently out of stock and I'm confused because I would expect once they sold out they would take the ad down if they weren't getting more.
You're from Vancouver? No need to look at Monkey unless you're heading down to their stores, I'm sure you can find some great top end clearance sticks in your area. I'm sure you could do better than the 3 listed, as good as those 3 are. Retailers will sometimes receive old closeout stock from manufacturers, which is why they are often deeply discounted. These are not regular occurrences and you can't predict them.

Old
05-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Plebeian
Play Your Game

Quote:
You're from Vancouver? No need to look at Monkey unless you're heading down to their stores, I'm sure you can find some great top end clearance sticks in your area. I'm sure you could do better than the 3 listed, as good as those 3 are. Retailers will sometimes receive old closeout stock from manufacturers, which is why they are often deeply discounted. These are not regular occurrences and you can't predict them.
Around here stores carry only the current years model of each company which makes it difficult to find good deals on older high end sticks which is what I'm looking at. I found an x:40 online for $80 including shipping so I'm probably going to go for that one.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:06 AM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Around here stores carry only the current years model of each company which makes it difficult to find good deals on older high end sticks which is what I'm looking at. I found an x:40 online for $80 including shipping so I'm probably going to go for that one.
Sports Exchange on Burrard and 6th. They have some pretty decent deals on some pro stocks and other high end sticks. For example, the Z9 is on sale for $125 there (last I checked). Think I saw a couple of good Warrior sticks on sale too.

Also, sportchek had a sale last week (or the week before) but the Widow, 10K, and S19 were all on sale for $120. Maybe wait it out and hope they discount them again, if they're not still discounted.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:15 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
The Hockey Shop down in Surrey had some killer deals, didn't buy any because I didn't need any sticks at the time.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:20 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Sports Exchange on Burrard and 6th. They have some pretty decent deals on some pro stocks and other high end sticks. For example, the Z9 is on sale for $125 there (last I checked). Think I saw a couple of good Warrior sticks on sale too.

Also, sportchek had a sale last week (or the week before) but the Widow, 10K, and S19 were all on sale for $120. Maybe wait it out and hope they discount them again, if they're not still discounted.
BAM! Thanks man, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

If there is sufficient stock of the Widow, 10K, S19, all-black AI9 etc.etc. they will likely come on for $120 once more. If not, they will be clearance priced indefinitely.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:56 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
BAM! Thanks man, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

If there is sufficient stock of the Widow, 10K, S19, all-black AI9 etc.etc. they will likely come on for $120 once more. If not, they will be clearance priced indefinitely.
Yep.

And even if Sportchek doesn't have those on sale, here are a couple of clearance sticks from the sports exchange: http://www.the-sports-exchange.com/hockey-sticks/

Pro stock wise, you can get the Ai.9, 11k, and 10k for 150 or less. All good deals.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:51 PM
LarryO

Quote:

Easton Mako M5II
RBK 9K

If you're in Vancouver, you should head on down to BASE Hockey in Burnaby and try all their different stick models, in different flexes, and with different blades. You could get a high quality stick taylored exactly to your requirements in around your price range.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Second the BASE fitting, if it's not too expensive. You would get hands-on instruction, feedback, and advice from professionals and get to test out lots of different flexes and curves.

Caveat with BASE is everything I've used from them feels about 10 flex whippier than rated.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:38 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Second the BASE fitting, if it's not too expensive. You would get hands-on instruction, feedback, and advice from professionals and get to test out lots of different flexes and curves.

Caveat with BASE is everything I've used from them feels about 10 flex whippier than rated.
If you can't afford the fitting with the high speed camera and all that, you could probably still try out the different demo sticks without going through the fitting. And you would get a feel of the different flexes first-hand and know if you need to get a higher rating to match your preference.

One thing I noticed when I flexed some BASE inter sticks of 65, 55 and 45 flex is that there wasn't as much difference as I expected among those 3 flexes. The 45 felt a lot more rigid than any 55 flex of other brands that stores carry. Maybe BASE flexes don't vary as much so that their higher flex ratings are a bit whippier, and their lower flex ratings are a bit more rigid than other brands, but I haven't tried the senior flexes so I can't really say. But if you're not stuck with guessing the flex and ordering online and have the opportunity to try the sticks first-hand, it takes the guessing out of the equation and is worth investigating.

Of course if one is bent on buying a major brand for the image, then forget everything I just wrote.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 04:49 PM
Plebeian
Play Your Game

Cheers for all the responses. I will be going on a trip this weekend to look at a few different stores and see if I can find a stick I like. Will also look into the BASE option as well since i've never heard of them.

EDIT: Base sounds incredible. How much would a custom high end stick cost there? I can't see it being much cheaper than an RS or APX.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:50 PM
AcidJazz

Quote:
EDIT: Base sounds incredible. How much would a custom high end stick cost there? I can't see it being much cheaper than an RS or APX.
Their highest end stick "The SuperNatural", will run you about $200. Most say it performs as good as the top end sticks. Wish I lived near Base.

AcidJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:11 PM
FlowNoMo
GO MARLIES!!!

Picked up another Ai9, loving these sticks. Paying $220 in total for two of em ain't bad either .

FlowNoMo is offline   Reply With Quote