HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

'Staged Fights'

Old
04-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Lexus
3 blind zebras

vCash: 500
'Staged Fights'

I just saw this great piece that HWC just uploaded that TSN aired.

What do you guys think about staged fighting?

Last edited by Lexus: 04-27-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Ralphy
BONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
I just saw this piece that HWC just uploaded that TSN aired.

What do you guys think about staged fighting?
Fine with staged fighting. Gets way too much focus.

Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Chip Chipperson

vCash: 50
Stupid and shouldn't be part of the game. That being said my favorite NHLer was Denny Lambert so what the hell do I know.

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

I would watch a whole documentary on hockey fights if it was done like this

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:38 PM
nik-

I find them incredibly annoying. I don't mind a fight starting after a battle in the corner or after a scrum in front of the net, but these off the draw or arranged fights between two tough guys are lame.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:42 PM
TheSniper26

I think they're kind of silly and irrelevant to the outcome of the game, but I don't really care. If two guys are dumb enough to want to get their face bashed in for no apparent reason, that's their decision I guess.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:46 PM
QC
Visionary.

I don't like staged fights when they are out of the blue, or to "get the team going." You can get your teammates going by throwing good checks and skating hard.

I don't mind staged fights where one of the two players is answering for a prior cheap shot to their teammate. Like the Gaustad v. Lucic fight following the Miller-Lucic incident. Lucic knew he'd likely have to answer the bell, and Gaustad knew that he had to challenge Lucic because of how poorly the Sabres handled the situation during the initial game. It's kind of an accountability thing.

But stuff like this needs to stop.

QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:47 PM
LegionOfDoom91

A fight's a fight. Who cares how it starts as long as both guys are willing to drop them.

The players voted against it and their opinions mean more than ours when they're the ones out there sacrificing there bodies.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-27-2013 at 01:57 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Look at that goon on Pittsburgh fighting off the face-off.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 02:21 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Now something like this I could see people complaining about when it comes to staged fights.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 02:23 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Staged fighting is a part of the game. If you do not like it, then you are not a fan of hockey fights.

I did not see people complaining about the Jamie Benn and Joe Thornton fight (or any staged fight that involves solid players).

People only complain about staged fighting when it is involved with two enforcers.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:27 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Part of the history of hockey. People need to stop whinning , hockey is going to be a non-contact sport soon

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:27 AM
sandysan

I'm okay with this video but I don't like the definition of staged fights being right off face offs. I also like that they finally addressed the role of coaches in this, the deboer/torts beef is a good one. It looked like it was gonna happen last night when the have started prust, white and Moen against the leafs, but nothing came of it.

Sending messages is part of the game, sometimes its player to player on the ice, sometimes its one bench to another. But a lot of the people who bemoan "staged fights" are really saying they don't understand the reason for the fight therefore there must be no reason. Coaches make many decisions I don't understand but that's why they get paid and I don't. Why "staged fighting" exclusively gets scrutiny but every other confusing decision gets a pass is beyond me.

If a team wants to start their fourth line on the road and the home team counters with their heavies, can anyone really say they are surprised that something might go down?

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Good lord Crosby can't fight

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Bruise Bros 2426

I'm not a huge fan of the Laraque-esque "staged fights", but I'd be opposed to banning it or further penalizing it. If both guys agree to drop the gloves (Even for no reason other than they want to), it is fine.

Also, just because a fight happens off the draw doesn't make it "staged". Stuff boils over from previous shifts, games, and even seasons.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Trognitz

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
I think they're kind of silly and irrelevant to the outcome of the game, but I don't really care. If two guys are dumb enough to want to get their face bashed in for no apparent reason, that's their decision I guess.
its the opportunity to bash the OTHER gus face in. maybe u wanna send a message to the other guy bout the time he opened u up with his stick in the minors or jrs. i know i NEVER forget a problem someone else caused for me. if u want forgiven, talk to jeebus.

i have a fight dvd of LNAH fights that i find un interesting.

Trognitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Agreed on the fights that happen for a reason off the faceoff, boiling over from previous shifts or retribution. But two enforcers just getting their 3 minutes of ice time agreeing to fight for no reason I have no interest in.

The old style Bob Nystrom fights are where it's at. Heat of the moment, the beatings that would ensue...

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Part of the history of hockey. People need to stop whinning , hockey is going to be a non-contact sport soon
Yeah, seriously people. I can't stand it when a hockey fan says "I like fights but not staged fights." Really? This has been going on since anyone on here was born. It didn't start in the 1990s. There have always been spontaneous fights (and always will) and there have always been the ones where a player drops the mitts to prove a point and that is a broad explanation. We've all enjoyed a staged fight because if it weren't for a player being mic'd up we'd never have known about them in the first place. I remember James Duthie acting as if it was the first time he'd ever heard about it when he saw Laraque mic'd up one day. I remember thinking, "Really James? How long have you been a fan?"

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 10:36 PM
ean

The league wants enforcer vs enforcer fighting out of the game, and off the faceoff is how most of these fights occur. So the only way the NHL can curb these fighters is by taking away staged fights.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 02:28 AM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
The league wants enforcer vs enforcer fighting out of the game, and off the faceoff is how most of these fights occur. So the only way the NHL can curb these fighters is by taking away staged fights.
Who cares? If they want to punch each other in the face, why can't they?

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Caballo Blanco
2014 Conn Smythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Who cares? If they want to punch each other in the face, why can't they?
It's a mockery of the role of a real enforcers. On top of it, non-enforcing staged fighters like Laraque, Shawn Thornton, Jared Boll, etc. barely throw punches, they grapple and swing their opponents around by grabbing onto their jerseys.

Caballo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 11:27 AM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
It's a mockery of the role of a real enforcers. On top of it, non-enforcing staged fighters like Laraque, Shawn Thornton, Jared Boll, etc. barely throw punches, they grapple and swing their opponents around by grabbing onto their jerseys.
You're kidding me, right?

Old
09-13-2013, 11:43 AM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
The game evolves.

The problem is players are bigger and well trained in fighting. We can see what concussions can do to players. Boogaard, Belak etc. When it comes to severe injuries and life and death situations it isn't whining it is looking out for the health of the player.

Football has made changes to attempt to limit concussions. Hockey has made attempts to limit concussions through limiting the type of hits, but they haven't touched fighting yet.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 07:19 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
The game evolves.

The problem is players are bigger and well trained in fighting. We can see what concussions can do to players. Boogaard, Belak etc. When it comes to severe injuries and life and death situations it isn't whining it is looking out for the health of the player.

Football has made changes to attempt to limit concussions. Hockey has made attempts to limit concussions through limiting the type of hits, but they haven't touched fighting yet.
They know the risk. If they want to fight, let them fight. No one has to fight.

Edit: 95% of the punches thrown are just glancing blows. Also, the NFL is the biggest joke (outside of NASCAR) in sports.

Old
09-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
They know the risk. If they want to fight, let them fight. No one has to fight.

Edit: 95% of the punches thrown are just glancing blows. Also, the NFL is the biggest joke (outside of NASCAR) in sports.
Exactly...the staged collisions are the worst...

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote