HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Warranties are only for manufacturers defect. The blade being visible ripped in half right at the toe was pretty clearly not a defect. Sometimes there's wiggle room but I didn't want to bother shipping it (bought it on clearance for under $100) and it was too stiff for me anyway.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:38 PM
UpGoesRupp

Last night on the PK I got the chip off the glass at our blue line and skated myself into the right corner(i'm right handed) and pulled a move off on two guys and the goalie at the same time that I use to do a lot when trying to create offence.

the other fwd had peeled off and was playing cautious in the high slot. So from my forehand side I was facing the net and considered taking a hard low shot to just get a shot on goal and change but the D was forcing me deep almost behind the net as he played passive. His Centerman had taken the middle of the ice and the pass away so I passed off the side of the net, cut back and shot it along the ice far side. No one knew what happened as the goalie thought I was just being forced wide. Felt pretty good to tie it up!

Old
05-10-2013, 03:36 AM
Primrose Everdeen
AKA Tricia or Leda

vCash: 564
Send a message via Skype™ to Primrose Everdeen
Only lost 7-4 this time. I think I assisted on one of the goals. I also was responsible for two of the goals against us by doing something pretty stupid.

We played much better as a team (it's our second game) though, and I like our chances to win our next game on Monday.

05-10-2013, 07:43 AM
SCBruCrew4

Tod..err...Tonight I am playing my first game in over a month and it's a charity game for my friends grandmother who was just diagnosed with lung cancer. Should be a fun and fast paced game considering we have a head count of 23 skater (including goalies) and we are expecting spectators...which should be fun considering I have never played in front of a "crowd".

Can't wait, very excited.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:43 PM
bob8880

Today i blocked my first shot in roller. Got a sweet bruise on my stomach now.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:33 AM
Primrose Everdeen
AKA Tricia or Leda

Lost 6-4 tonight, got a chance to use my new stick. It's 2-3 inches shorter than my old one, which I got used to easily except trying to take slap shots that ended up fanning off the toe into the corner. I had a couple good rips with the stiffer flex (went up to 85 from 70) during warmups but the curve is a little more open faced than my old stick so they were difficult to control. The open face made it easier to flip pucks up high though, and I had a nice "hail mary" type pass to one of my teammates that went over everyone's heads (but he wasn't really able to control it). I'm not accustomed to being able to lift the puck up at that steep of an angle, but it's useful as a defenseman so I like it pretty well. Had an assist, a tripping penalty (had no real choice in the matter, caught me in transition with no backwards momentum built up), and a -1 rating.

Might see if I can do anything about extending the shaft a few inches, but it's a wood stick so I'm not sure how well that will go.

Last edited by Primrose Everdeen: 05-14-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old
05-14-2013, 02:37 AM
sxHarr05

Today I found another gear. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm just getting back into ice hockey after 17 years off. Well, started in January, had three weeks off in February due to a pinched nerve in my neck, and missed three of the last four weeks due to work. I've basically been working on getting comfortable on ice again, and conditioning. There have been times where I pushed myself hard-like to the point of nearly puking-but today much of my hard work came together as I was really up on my toes and feeling good and fast. My balance was good and I was able to take short, quick strides without thinking about it, as opposed to the long, powerful yet exaggerated strides I have been accustomed to. Still dealing with "trusting" my left leg (not related to nerve, but a long story), but it's getting better.

Also, on a whim I picked up a wood/ABS Graf Supra F35 (a friend calls it "Lumberjacking"). It was $25 and I just wanted one because, well, because. Off the rack it's about 2.5 inches shorter than the Bauers and Warriors I've been using. And I love it. It has me in a better position to generate power on my slapshot which was booming today, wrister was pretty standard which is a good trade-off, and has a pretty good feel overall. I'm gonna cut my Vapor down and see how it feels and I'm gonna pick up the other two F35's they had at Total Hockey.

All in all, my old a$$ had a good hockey day today.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:16 AM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
Tod..err...Tonight I am playing my first game in over a month and it's a charity game for my friends grandmother who was just diagnosed with lung cancer. Should be a fun and fast paced game considering we have a head count of 23 skater (including goalies) and we are expecting spectators...which should be fun considering I have never played in front of a "crowd".

Can't wait, very excited.
Just a follow up to this. First the event itself was an immense success. The event raised $1600 dollars all of which is being donated. The rink gave back the cost of the ice time and donated that to the charity as well. Around 50-60 spectators alone showed up, on top of the 20 skaters who played. So there was quite a large group. Awesome night and an awesome skate as well.

Onto the game, I had a great time. It was intense and it seemed like it was going to be during the warmups when the "color jerseys" were warming up on their side and the "white jerseys" were on the other and no one crossed that red line. I knew right then, that it was going to be more of a beer league style game than a regular run of your mill pick up game.

The game wasn't my best by far but stats wise it wasn't bad. I netted three goals all off rebounds right in front of the net, and they were essentially chip shots. Nothing fancy but they were nice to get them in there. I personally am not the best at anything when it comes to hockey, I'm good, but not great. I tried a few things that night and I surprised myself. At one point I was rushing down the right wing (as a lefty shooter) and came around the defenseman and decided to try something I see skilled players do all the time with ease. I put my weight onto my left leg and angled my body into the defenseman's and stickhandled with my right hand away from my body. I honestly have never tried it but it worked lol. After I was clear of the defenseman I brought the puck imediately onto my forehand, deked and took a shot on net, but the goalie saved it. Either way it looked good lol.

All in all, tons of fun, I was a little sore after but nothing to bad. Great time, great skate and great cause.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Won last night 2-0 I believe, but yikes was it sloppy.

Beginners kind of took over the game last night in our defensive zone, i.e. we couldn't get clean breakouts to save our lives. Three times I cut through the middle and am wide open with nobody in front of me, just need a little chip pass along the boards, and three times we ice it.

I did get two gorgeous centering passes though from my winter teammate. For some reason nobody on the other team was covering the entire middle of the ice so when I jumped on at the end of our PK he just tossed it to me and breakaway. But the friggin puck was on its side and I missed the net by about six feet. Second great pass was a nice little touch pass for again, a breakaway, but I hit the bar.

Add on two more pipes and it was just an unlucky night.

Also, why isn't anybody ever in front of the net? Any time I get the puck from behind the net its like everybody on my team vacates the slot.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:21 AM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Won last night 2-0 I believe, but yikes was it sloppy.

Beginners kind of took over the game last night in our defensive zone, i.e. we couldn't get clean breakouts to save our lives. Three times I cut through the middle and am wide open with nobody in front of me, just need a little chip pass along the boards, and three times we ice it.

I did get two gorgeous centering passes though from my winter teammate. For some reason nobody on the other team was covering the entire middle of the ice so when I jumped on at the end of our PK he just tossed it to me and breakaway. But the friggin puck was on its side and I missed the net by about six feet. Second great pass was a nice little touch pass for again, a breakaway, but I hit the bar.

Add on two more pipes and it was just an unlucky night.

Also, why isn't anybody ever in front of the net? Any time I get the puck from behind the net its like everybody on my team vacates the slot.
Lol! I've noticed this lately with the guys I play with. I'm the only one who will park in front of the net...and I'm not a big body. I'm tall but am only 155lbs soaking wet lol. If anything I should be able to be tossed aside with ease, but nope.

The game I went to last week that's where every one of my goals came from. I'll take them all day!

Old
05-15-2013, 03:39 AM
Trl3789

Tonight we didn't have a goalie, so I played 6th skater/goalie. I'm actually surprised how upset I am about a few that I let get in. We ended up losing 7-6, but it was 2-2 starting the 3rd. Fun either way.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:55 AM
Maccas

Wasn't today but last night I returned to hockey after a month and a bit off (Whiplash) to skate with a new team that's just started up at my local rink. The team is almost all beginner level players with a massive age range but they managed to get 34 guys to come down for the first session (Pretty amazing for a team in the UK) and we also had David Clarke, probably the top British forward in the EIHL (Top league in the UK) come down to coach us. The newbies all had great fun and I managed to ease myself back in, even if my skating and shot were pretty poor. They were a really good bunch of guys so I think I'll keep training with them and maybe a couple of games at a lower level may be able to restore my confidence!

Old
05-15-2013, 05:59 AM
howeaboutthat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccas View Post
Wasn't today but last night I returned to hockey after a month and a bit off (Whiplash) to skate with a new team that's just started up at my local rink. The team is almost all beginner level players with a massive age range but they managed to get 34 guys to come down for the first session (Pretty amazing for a team in the UK) and we also had David Clarke, probably the top British forward in the EIHL (Top league in the UK) come down to coach us. The newbies all had great fun and I managed to ease myself back in, even if my skating and shot were pretty poor. They were a really good bunch of guys so I think I'll keep training with them and maybe a couple of games at a lower level may be able to restore my confidence!
Peterborough or Milton Keynes?

Old
05-15-2013, 06:18 AM
Maccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
Peterborough or Milton Keynes?
The team is the Peterborough Flyers, they do have a fair few guys from Milton Keynes in the team though. Since MK rink is closing down for 15 months a few of the MK Storm Wreck players have decided to start up a team from Peterborough

Old
05-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Malarowski

Quote:
Heh, that's becoming my living room as I can't really shoot yet and am too tired after an hour of skating hard, so for the last 30 mins I camp out in front. Passes don't come too often but I looove rebounds. I also got knocked onto the goalie once or twice, which seems to help scoring, too.

On to my 'Today': Had a great skate yesterday, made some nice passes and am really happy with my development. Still need to work on randomly losing balance. Stick handled through 3 guys yesterday, two of whom hooked my hands big time (clinic scrimmage so no whistle), still kept going and then just fell over backwards once I was clear. I definitely need to cut my stick though and learn to shoot a bit more consciously. Physically I am making great strides, too and don't feel like a truck hit me after skating anymore from being tired, although I still feel it. Really love the clinic though, 30 mins drills, 1 hour game is perfect for me, especially that they run some 'theory' sessions every time explaining how to behave in the zones and go into positioning and stuff.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Today it is setting in how long I will be out.

I dislocated the tendon that runs over the middle knuckle, but didn't do enough damage to warrant surgery. That was three Sundays ago. I played in our Championship game with it taped up and last week because we were super short (ended up winning with 7 skaters).

Looking at our up-coming schedule and breaks, I decided to miss the next 3 games to allow me 7 weeks for my ligaments to tighten back up which will prevent the tendon from sliding out of place. Each time I play, I get a minor set back, and I just need to let it heal. I can play fine for the most part, but I just need to let it rest completely to heal completely.

In the meantime, I'm going to save the money I'd spend on pickup and put it towards finally landing a kreps curve/e28 pro stock when I find one, and put all my energy into more dynamic workouts to see if I can improve my skating (balance, power and agility) for when I come back for the bulk of the season.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:54 PM
howeaboutthat

Quote:
The team is the Peterborough Flyers, they do have a fair few guys from Milton Keynes in the team though. Since MK rink is closing down for 15 months a few of the MK Storm Wreck players have decided to start up a team from Peterborough
I was down in Peterborough the other week for a game against the Predators. It was my first visit and the ice was a lot better than I expected, given some of the horror stories banded about.

Good luck with the team, maybe we'll meet on the ice one day.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Tonight we didn't have a goalie, so I played 6th skater/goalie. I'm actually surprised how upset I am about a few that I let get in. We ended up losing 7-6, but it was 2-2 starting the 3rd. Fun either way.
There was an article about a team that did that in college a while back. They had some success with it.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Maccas

Quote:
I was down in Peterborough the other week for a game against the Predators. It was my first visit and the ice was a lot better than I expected, given some of the horror stories banded about.

Good luck with the team, maybe we'll meet on the ice one day.
Oh the ice is pretty bad! There are worse rinks though, Grimsby comes to mind!
Who is it that you play for?

Old
05-15-2013, 06:59 PM
howeaboutthat

Quote:
Oh the ice is pretty bad! There are worse rinks though, Grimsby comes to mind!
Who is it that you play for?
Oh yes, been to Grimsby. Its better than nothing, though I hear its finally closing this year.

I play for the Nottingham Phantoms. Can't really grumble about our home ice, we're very lucky.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:23 PM
themethod7

Tonight I scored my first ever hat trick, but it wasn't enough - after tying it with just over 2 min left, I was at the end of my shift and watched the rest of the game from the bench, only to see them squeak a trickler through with less than 30 seconds to go, ended up losing 5-4.

Started a new job in November and after 15+ years off from hockey, I started up again with my company's roller team - this was my third game so far and it's all starting to come back, nice to pot a few but a win would have been better.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:25 AM
Trl3789

Quote:
There was an article about a team that did that in college a while back. They had some success with it.
Haha it was just hard to feel comfortable standing in front of chest high slapshots from 8 feet away. I let a few easy ones go in, but there are some advantages to it. We were able to counter attack a lot more efficiently.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:47 AM
Primrose Everdeen
AKA Tricia or Leda

By USA Hockey rules you can designate the 6th skater as a "temporary goalkeeper", although he doesn't have to wear goalie gear to do so. However, he's then entitled to some or all of it including a goalie stick, as well as all the goalie's privileges such as being able to freeze the puck legally in the crease (which would otherwise be a penalty shot). Of course, he's also bound by the restrictions of being a goalie, mainly, not being able to skate past the red line unless he's going to his bench.

Old
05-16-2013, 02:04 AM
Maccas

Quote:
Oh yes, been to Grimsby. Its better than nothing, though I hear its finally closing this year.

I play for the Nottingham Phantoms. Can't really grumble about our home ice, we're very lucky.
Yeah better than nothing though it was like skating on a pond with boards!
If you play for Phantoms then I've probably already played against you!
I used to play for the Predators and now play for the RAF Eastern Crusade I've played against you guys once with each team. Hopefully when I'm finally cleared for contact again I'll be playing in the Midlands Summer cup!

Old
05-16-2013, 04:33 AM
gosinger

...had a pretty decent roller-day, but it was overshadowed by a friend stepping on my blade during a deke and twisting his knee in the resulting fall

Get well soon buddy, and I hope it's nothing serious.

Closed Thread